Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Stheno wrote: »
    Yes.

Fair enough. I do branch out to Asian, Italian, Mexican and Czech mass produced lager when it's available. And always available for a kiwi beer. Even the ones I wasn't a fan of back there.

Whiskey is where I get picky. And gin. Sort of.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Fair enough. I do branch out to Asian, Italian, Mexican and Czech mass produced lager when it's available. And always available for a kiwi beer. Even the ones I wasn't a fan of back there.

Whiskey is where I get picky. And gin. Sort of.

My local does a free drink promotion on a Friday. They know me well enough at this stage to not even ask if I want a free Coors Heineken hop house etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Am I only one here who likes mass produced commercial lager? As long as it's cold.

I'll willingly drink anything that'll get me pissed.

Cans of karpackie? Not a bother, 4 for a fiver. 8 cans of Bavaria for a tenner, knife and fork not included however.

You're all a fickle bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Am I only one here who likes mass produced commercial lager? As long as it's cold.

If you need to drink it cold then you dont like it. The fact that it's cold means that its hiding the real taste. If you dont like it cool (as opposed to cold) to room temp then you dont like it.

I'll willingly drink anything that'll get me pissed.

Cans of karpackie? Not a bother, 4 for a fiver. 8 cans of Bavaria for a tenner, knife and fork not included however.

You're all a fickle bunch.

For some of us it's as likely to be an age thing. I've done my big drinking days. Did over a decade of it. Now I've a kid and live in Greystones (which means nights out in Dublin are basically gone). I dont have time for sessions very often and def dont have time for hangovers. So my tolerance is a fraction of what it was. Instead I enjoy a beer a every now and then after the little one has gone down, so enjoying that beer is a lot more important than it once was.

It's also a bit like food. Why have McDonalds when you can eat in a quality restaurant instead?

• Advertisement

I've come full circle. Sometimes I feel like a tasteless beer that quenches my thirst. Heineken does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

molloyjh wrote: »
    If you need to drink it cold then you dont like it. The fact that it's cold means that its hiding the real taste. If you dont like it cool (as opposed to cold) to room temp then you dont like it.

Don't tell me what I like!!!😠I prefer all my cold drinks COLD. Beer, water, juice.

I guess I can understand having young kids changing your drinking habits. I have no experience of that. If I was just having a couple of beers then I would be happy to try a craft or a stout. But if I'm having a few then give me that bland, mass produced, commercial crap 😀

As far as whiskey goes, I highly recommend Dingle. It's very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I actually prefer craft beer, but I think I've an intolerance or mild allegery to nitrates. I get pretty lethal headaches off them sometimes while I'm drinking them (as opposed to the next morning). So nowadays I tend to drink a lot of the mass produced stuff.

To be fair, cold corona, wedge of lime. I'm a happy boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

All beer is muck, it’s like ****e there may be different shades but it’s all still ****e.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is the most hipster post you’ve ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »

:pac:

Haha, it's true though. The colder it is, the less you taste it. If you can only drink something when its cold then you dont like what it actually tastes like. If its ice cold you barely taste it at all. And when beers aren't as common a thing as they used to be why would you bother with something you can barely taste?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

By far the most common thing I drink is Kronenbourg 1664 as its the default draught beer in Geneva. Love the stuff, especially outside on a nice warm day.

Haha, it's true though. The colder it is, the less you taste it. If you can only drink something when its cold then you dont like what it actually tastes like. If its ice cold you barely taste it at all. And when beers aren't as common a thing as they used to be why would you bother with something you can barely taste?

Are beers not as common?

Are beers not as common?

Not for me sadly.

molloyjh drinks his warm beer in his compostable cardboard beaker, once it has been strained through an old sock filled with soil taken from a druid's front garden in order to maximise the taste and inject some extra nutrients to balance his inner chi.

He finds this the best method to recuperate after his mid-afternoon naked yoga in the garden.

Nobody needs even the mental image of that last bit. :pac:

Also, warm beer!? Of all the craziness there....warm beer!? How dare you. I will not be called out on my beer preferences by a Harp fan. :p

Not for me sadly.

Ah I get it now, thought I was going mad!

Guinness is ideal for me because it’s everywhere, it tastes nice, it’s good for you, and it makes me feel good

Not for me sadly.

Ah I get it now, thought I was going mad!

Guinness is ideal for me because it’s everywhere, it tastes nice, it’s good for you, and it makes me feel good

Guinness is grand but theres def better stouts out there. I find the iron taste to it can be a bit much at times. The fact that its everywhere means it's a handy fall back for when there isn't anything else that interests me.

Guinness is grand but theres def better stouts out there. I find the iron taste to it can be a bit much at times. The fact that its everywhere means it's a handy fall back for when there isn't anything else that interests me.

My thoughts pattern is...

Fizz
    / \
    Yes No
    / \
    Strong Taste Guinness
    / \
    Yes No
    / \
    Morreti Heineken

Are you in Cafe En Seine on a Thursday night at 2am?
    |
    G&T or Jameson&ginger

• Advertisement

Fcuk that failed badly. I wanna try some of this Strong Taste Guinness though

Speaking of Jameson, I had a cracking cocktail in VCC recently. Black Barrel Jameson, porter, port, hazelnut and orange juice. Feckin' delish. Proper cocktails can be top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Fcuk that failed badly. I wanna try some of this Strong Taste Guinness though

Here you go.

Ah Balls that didn't work at all

Here's what it looked like before posting

zNLZUf9.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Saison?

As a beer style, saison began as a pale ale brewed in the cooler, less active months in farmhouses in Wallonia, the French-speaking region of Belgium, and stored for drinking in the summer months. These farmhouse beers would have been of a lower ABV than modern saisons—around 3 to 3.5% ABV on average, rising in the early 20th century to between 4.5 and 6.5% ABV. In the Middle Ages, the low-gravity beer was served as a clean source of hydration for workers who consumed up to five liters per day. Brewing outside the summer months was common for all brewers before the invention of refrigeration, due to the likelihood of the beer spoiling while fermenting in the summer, during the height of airborne bacteria activity. Farmers possibly also brewed during the cooler months to provide work for their permanent staff during the quieter period. After brewing, the beer was stored until the summer when the main consumers would be seasonal workers ("saisonniers").

Historically, saisons did not share enough identifiable characteristics to pin them down as a specific style, but rather were a group of refreshing summer ales made by farmers. Each farm brewer would make his own distinctive version. Although most commercial examples now range from 5 to 8% ABV, originally saisons were meant to be refreshing and it is thought they had alcohol levels ranging from 3 to 3.5%.

Modern saisons are generally highly carbonated, fruity and spicy—sometimes from the addition of spices.

Some of newer saison beers rock in nicely about 2.5 - 3.5% meaning you could most happily knock them back like pints of mainstream sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

molloyjh drinks his warm beer in his compostable cardboard beaker, once it has been strained through an old sock filled with soil taken from a druid's front garden in order to maximise the taste and inject some extra nutrients to balance his inner chi.

He finds this the best method to recuperate after his mid-afternoon naked yoga in the garden.

Speaking of yoga, is hot yoga a thing in Ireland yet? You basically do a yoga class in a sauna. Men area always in the back row for some reason. Must be cooler back there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Speaking of yoga, is hot yoga a thing in Ireland yet? You basically do a yoga class in a sauna. Men area always in the back row for some reason. Must be cooler back there.

Yes it's available in Dublin anyway

Yea it is.

I'd say it's great for a hangover

I'd say it's great for a hangover

If you don't drop dead during it.

Our office hangover cure is breakfast rolls topped up with boojum and multiple bottles of coke/lucozade. The local shop has been known to run out of lucozade

• Advertisement

If you don't drop dead during it.

Our office hangover cure is breakfast rolls topped up with boojum and multiple bottles of coke/lucozade. The local shop has been known to run out of lucozade

Stheno works for the Rolling Stones - confirmed.

Hot yoga is class. My main issue with regular yoga as I often don't feel like I've done exercise afterwards. I like to get a sweat going. Hot yoga solves this brilliantly.

Hot yoga is class. My main issue with regular yoga as I often don't feel like I've done exercise afterwards. I like to get a sweat going. Hot yoga solves this brilliantly.

My issue with yoga is as i am superhypermobile (double jointed) it feels like a mild stretch.

Pilates is worse.

My issue with yoga is as i am superhypermobile (double jointed) it feels like a mild stretch.

Pilates is worse.

Scratch my earlier comment.

Stheno = David Pocock, confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

My mate is mad keen for us to do this. I'm afraid we'll look like Stephen Merchant in the "Hello Ladies" scene where he's the only man in a woman's yoga class.

https://youtu.be/PTQahpEYvmQ

Scratch my earlier comment.

Stheno = David Pocock, confirmed.

I doubt David could extend his arm straight and rotate his elbow 360 degrees

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    My mate is mad keen for us to do this. I'm afraid we'll look like Stephen Merchant in the "Hello Ladies" scene where he's the only man in a woman's yoga class.

https://youtu.be/PTQahpEYvmQ

Don't do it. My Oh and I went to Pilates once, I was bored out of my skull while he managed to put his back out.

If it would save a tree, I bet he could...

Are you made out of rubber?

Are you made out of rubber?

Ish

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I hate yoga for the opposite reason, I have the mobility of an 80 year old arthritic man. Just end up feeling really stupid when you can’t even do the most basic movements without falling over in a heap needing a Physio to straighten me out. My OH is constantly trying to get me to do it, rather than training. This is how she discovered just how stubborn I can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I hate hot yoga, because it's bloody hot. I hate hot.

Just finished reading Auschwitz by Laurence Rees. Fantastic book

I just started Harry Potter by J K Rowling

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Reading The Way Home: Tales from a Life Without Technology by Mark Boyle. It's an interesting insight into the challenges of living in Ireland without technology. He only communicates outside of the local community via post. You'd appreciate the impact of the shutting of rural post offices more if you were in his position. It's a very interesting read, but I'm not sure I could go to those levels of detachment with regard to things like medicine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I just started Harry Potter by J K Rowling

I'm actually re-reading them all at the moment.

I'm actually re-reading them all at the moment.

Well listening to the audio book. Stephen fry is excellent. I think I should read it instead because it's too easy to zone out sometimes from audio books. Mad that I've never read them or seen the films.

Hopefully the Munster hurling Championship can revive itself on Sunday. Two games to finish a round robin that never got going with so many one sided games.

Crazy day in Leinster hurling! Galway are out on points difference, incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Pure delight at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Bizarre. Wexford unbeaten despite only winning one game from 4 and into the Leinster final.

Dublin into the prelim quarter finals. Bit of a role reversal in terms of drama and tight contests between the two provincial championships.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement