Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

After 2017 I have to agree. Everything about that Mayo performance (one of the best I've ever seen in a final) suggested a victory but Dublin took all the pressure and kept responding, and ultimately nudged themselves over the line in the end

I reckon Tyrone of the 00s could rattle them but I'd still fancy Dublin every time. That Tyrone side were very physical, fit and had exceptional players. Kerry had a great side in the 00s but given their style of play I actually think this Dublin side would beat them comfortably enough

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Would agree on Tyrone. They had a steel in them that wouldn't be phased by Dublin. They also had several exceptional talents who could deliver scores when against the odds consistently which Mayo lacked.

I think Dublin would win 7/10 but if they were about today, Dublin wouldn't be going for 5 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Go Fund Me have removed Folau’s page and refunded the donors, looks like Izzy will have to pay his own bills. My heart is bleeding for him at this moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Stheno wrote: »
    You worked in the Cock? Upstairs there is my favourite place to watch rugby after the Forty Four.

Staff are fantastic and the food is good!

Yep, a long long time ago. Upstairs was just store rooms and an office then. The family who owned it then actually lived upstairs previously. Was a great place to work, we had great craic.

Upstairs in Zzippy's cock is a great place to watch a game.

Ah Venjur, it was teed up for you to knock it out of the park and you struck out... not one of your best efforts!

stephen_n wrote: »
    Go Fund Me have removed Folau’s page and refunded the donors, looks like Izzy will have to pay his own bills. My heart is bleeding for him at this moment.

Good on them.

• Advertisement

Good on them.

A bunch of other outlets have reached out with their support. I think it's best for this to run its course. Allow Falou to waste his and other people's money. Let him fully wither in the public eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

LCY is such a class airport. 5 minute walk from the plane seat to the DLR which runs every few minutes. Pity Dublin doesn't have similar to compete with DUB, perhaps had the boom last longer we might have seen one built?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

LCY is such a class airport. 5 minute walk from the plane seat to the DLR which runs every few minutes. Pity Dublin doesn't have similar to compete with DUB, perhaps had the boom last longer we might have seen one built?

Dublin Airport is as good a location as LCY, just really poor planning in terms of public transport. It's a point that's been raised constantly that we've one of the worst transport links to our airport but other than the proposed Metro, and a previous proposal to extend the Luas line, nothings ever really materialised.

The problem isn't even a funding issue, it's mostly around the fact our governments have never fully committed to doing it. It's something always brought up around election time and falls through once the new regime gets into power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Run a track out to the M1, then down the middle of the Motorway to the port tunnel. Then stick a track along a lane of each tunnel and allow light rail and vehicles dual access like they do all over Europe. Then link it up with the Red Luas at the Point. It's so easy even we could bloody do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

LCY can be an absolute nightmare to fly out of a lot of evenings as it simply can not handle the throughput of passengers it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Run a track out to the M1, then down the middle of the Motorway to the port tunnel. Then stick a track along a lane of each tunnel and allow light rail and vehicles dual access like they do all over Europe. Then link it up with the Red Luas at the Point. It's so easy even we could bloody do it.

It's beautiful and I think we could and should do it. That said - on the Luas Red line from the Point its still a long enough time to get lots of places. Grafton St for instance would still be 35 minutes on the Luas from the Point. The likes of Sandyford well over an hour.

I live near Charlemont St so I get the 757 bus a lot. It starts at the Bleeding Horse pub on Camden St, takes a slightly but not overly convoluted route to the tunnel and in to the airport. Off Peak it can often do it in 35 minutes, not bad for 13 euro return. I'd take that service over getting one train to the point, changing trains there, to Abbey Street and changing trams there to get home.

Metro South was a great solution, but even at that I'd realistically love a Heathrow Express type service. Underground from the Airport to the City Centre direct. The Journey would be like 8 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Anyone watching The Inventor on Sky Atlantic. Mad story of a woman in the US who pulled the wool over a lot of peoples eyes, some seriously high profile, for over a decade. Never heard this story before, but not sure how I missed it.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

molloyjh wrote: »
    Anyone watching The Inventor on Sky Atlantic. Mad story of a woman in the US who pulled the wool over a lot of peoples eyes, some seriously high profile, for over a decade. Never heard this story before, but not sure how I missed it.

That about Theranos?

awec wrote: »

That about Theranos?

Yep.

molloyjh, you should really check out the book by the WSJ journo who first broke the story, it's fantastic: https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Blood-Secrets-Silicon-Startup/dp/152473165X

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

There's also a podcast called the dropout about it, haven't seen the show but the podcast is very good http://abcradio.com/podcasts/the-dropout/

+1 for that podcast. Far superior to the HBO doc. Jennifer Lawrence is playing her in an upcoming film too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Pretty interesting article here on cockpit management and the Air France crash off Brazil 10 years ago

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2014/10/air-france-flight-447-crash#

Missus is out this evening so dining for one here, and took a crazy notion to order a kebab tray.

What was I thinking? Half way through and I feel half dead already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You'll finish it ... and you'll like it.

• Advertisement

I still mourn the closure of Luigi's in Ranelagh and it's bizarrely delicious kebab pizza

I still haven't found a kebab in Ireland that comes close to kebabs up north. They're all weird down here, and there's no such thing as kebab sauce. It's all garlic or chilli.

My local up north does the best kebab sauce ever. Don't know what's in it, don't really know what it tastes of, just know that it's luminous orange and it's delicious.

The kebabs in mainland Europe are a step above anything in Ireland.

A kebab!? A kebab!? We've got a few good Indians, some decent Chinese places and a new pizza place (take out only admittedly) that does pretty good pizzas. Why would you get a kebab?

A kebab!? A kebab!? We've got a few good Indians, some decent Chinese places and a new pizza place (take out only admittedly) that does pretty good pizzas. Why would you get a kebab?

I took a notion! :D

When I lived in Dublin, I really liked the kebabs in the chipper on Dean street, across from Fallons. Think it's called Roma? The hot chili, around near Wexford street, was also good.

Anyone knocking kebabs needs an immediate cephalorectal extraction procedure.

I still haven't found a kebab in Ireland that comes close to kebabs up north. They're all weird down here, and there's no such thing as kebab sauce. It's all garlic or chilli.

Just clarifying, where have you tried? Zaytoon, Passion 4 Food, Falafel Kebab, Rotana Cafe are all pretty nice. Shout out to Istanbul in Limerick.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Just clarifying, where have you tried? Zaytoon, Passion 4 Food, Falafel Kebab, Rotana Cafe are all pretty nice. Shout out to Istanbul in Limerick.

Zaytoon is crap. They put peppers or something in it.

I should also clarify that I'm a purely kebab tray man. No time for the pitta bread.

If you offered me peak Ruan Pieenar at Leinster but Zaytoon had to close down I'd pick Zaytoon.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    If you offered me peak Ruan Pieenar at Leinster but Zaytoon had to close down I'd pick Zaytoon.

giphy.gif

A bit late to the party but I finished Chernobyl tonight. A fantastic mini-series and the accompanying post episode podcast is a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

A bit late to the party but I finished Chernobyl tonight. A fantastic mini-series and the accompanying post episode podcast is a must.

I was reading about a guy who lived near there when it happened. He watched the series and said in the first 10 minute's he counted 17 inaccuracies on 1 hand alone.

There are no decent kebabs in Wicklow, in fact there is no decent fast food at all where you are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Zaytoon is crap. They put peppers or something in it.

I should also clarify that I'm a purely kebab tray man. No time for the pitta bread.

My local chipper has the luminous orange sauce. You need to move to da nortsoide

I never knew you could get a kebab tray this is excellent news

stephen_n wrote: »

There are no decent kebabs in Wicklow, in fact there is no decent fast food at all where you are.

Is there decent fast food anywhere? The delivery options are limited but we've 3 or 4 good Indians, 2 good thai places with a Camille opening soon and a new pizza place in beside Tesco that does take out and is good. Not sure what the Chinese places are like as I'm not a fan of Chinese.

• Advertisement

Crowd going mad for George Ezra at Glastonbury. Young ones love these bland feckers. That Lewis Capaldi is another dose...Absolute dross...More life in a morgue.

Rant over.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Crowd going mad for George Ezra at Glastonbury. Young ones love these bland feckers. That Lewis Capaldi is another dose...Absolute dross...More life in a morgue.

Rant over.

I could listen to the odd songs by those lads but one of their concerts just seems like hell to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rant over.
    I worked his gig in malahide there last week. Was same for him there as well and have kaleidoscope this weekend in blessington. Still waiting there to get back to city centre....

Just got on the Enterprise train to Belfast. Very large sign at carriage E saying "this carriage is for people with pre booked reservations". Why was someone sitting in my seat and why are people moving from other seats and asking "are these seats booked"?
    Are people stupid? Can people not read? Is there a thickness particle in the brain that activates when people get on public transport?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Just got on the Enterprise train to Belfast. Very large sign at carriage E saying "this carriage is for people with pre booked reservations". Why was someone sitting in my seat and why are people moving from other seats and asking "are these seats booked"?
    Are people stupid? Can people not read? Is there a thickness particle in the brain that activates when people get on public transport?
    They're just chancing their arm in the hope that they won't be challenged. IE are re-introducing conductors to all inter-city trains. The sooner the better. Fairly sure the enterprise always had one.

Speaking of the enterprise - last time I was on it, the 1 way first class was a fiver more than regular class. Hot towels all round and a good fry delivered straight to your seat? Don't mind if I do!

• Advertisement

dregin wrote: »
    They're just chancing their arm in the hope that they won't be challenged. IE are re-introducing conductors to all inter-city trains. The sooner the better. Fairly sure the enterprise always had one.

Speaking of the enterprise - last time I was on it, the 1 way first class was a fiver more than regular class. Hot towels all round and a good fry delivered straight to your seat? Don't mind if I do!

Was 20 quid more for me. I think I'll actually book it the next time. It's not even people chancing their arms...Dopey young american kids wondering why they're being asked to move. The hint might have been that large sign that your backpack nearly fcuking cleaned when you barrelled on earlier.

I always book first class on the train to Belfast. Only way to do it.

I always book first class on the train to Belfast. Only way to do it.

I'm definitely doing that the next time. There's a fat, sweaty, hairy lad sitting opposite me who is watching a movie on his tablet, whilst taking 100 photos out the window and demolishing a large bag of crisps.... anyone know what the sentence is for beating someone to death with a shoe?

Edit Now he's absolutely destroying the biggest bag of wine gums I've ever seen.

Is there decent fast food anywhere? The delivery options are limited but we've 3 or 4 good Indians, 2 good thai places with a Camille opening soon and a new pizza place in beside Tesco that does take out and is good. Not sure what the Chinese places are like as I'm not a fan of Chinese.

Depends on your preference I guess. Chipmongers in Bray is excellent for fish and chips. Henry and Rose in Bray do fairly good burgers, better than Bunsen anyway :pac:

Must be the same one that activates in sports stadiums.

"I think you're sitting in my seat."

"What does your ticket say"

"15H"

"Yeah, this is 26G, go one row back and over to the next block, that's you."

"Oh"

I mean its letters and numbers so I suppose I get the confusion.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Must be the same one that activates in sports stadiums.

"I think you're sitting in my seat."

"What does your ticket say"

"15H"

"Yeah, this is 26G, go one row back and over to the next block, that's you."

"Oh"

I mean its letters and numbers so I suppose I get the confusion.....

Exact same thing on planes as well. Just people constantly trying to chance their arm because they were too cheap to pay for the prebooking. Was on a flight to London for work a couple of weeks ago and some auld one had an absolute meltdown because she was told to move because it wasn't her seat and someone else had booked it, but she insisted on sitting beside her husband on a packed plane.

Exact same thing on planes as well. Just people constantly trying to chance their arm because they were too cheap to pay for the prebooking. Was on a flight to London for work a couple of weeks ago and some auld one had an absolute meltdown because she was told to move because it wasn't her seat and someone else had booked it, but she insisted on sitting beside her husband on a packed plane.

That paying more to sit next to the person you're flying with is a load of bollocks.

That being said, you know the rules when you get on the plane. Even if the rules are a load of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That paying more to sit next to the person you're flying with is a load of bollocks.

That being said, you know the rules when you get on the plane. Even if the rules are a load of ****.

I don't think it's a load of bollocks. If you want to sit with the people you're travelling with then you can pay. If you get on Dublin Bus as a group you don't automatically get to sit together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The airline would counter that it allows people who don't care where they sit to pay less. At least everyone has an assigned seat now before boarding, the stampede onto a Ryanair flight when it was a free for all was the most depressing thing ever.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I don't think it's a load of bollocks. If you want to sit with the people you're travelling with then you can pay. If you get on Dublin Bus as a group you don't automatically get to sit together.

Sure, but you don't get charged more to do so. If the seats on the bus are available, you can do it, for free. On the airplane, the seats are there when you're booking, so you should be allowed to choose seats beside each other for free, if they're available.

It costs the airline nothing, this is just an excuse to nickel and dime the customer. Again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement