Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

mfceiling wrote: »
    Trying to watch the Tyrone Dublin game here on hols.
    My god but the RTE player app is beyond pathetic. It won't load half the time and when I do get it to load it just keeps spinning a little circle for live coverage.
    Dee Forbes looking for an increase in the licence fee? Well she can suck the back end of mine.

You’re not missing much, total non event with both teams already through.

I just used it as an excuse to go to the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

awec wrote: »
    You’re not missing much, total non event with both teams already through.

I just used it as an excuse to go to the pub.

Isn't a pub here for miles...Doubt they'd be showing it!! Swim in the pool it is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

The Dubs have sent the B team to Tyrone and they’re still winning. Connolly starting and all.

5 in a row no sweat.

Tyrone B team too.

Dublin have never dispatched Mayo with ease, no reason to think they will next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Mayo have been the only team to put it up to Dublin during this reign of terror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Mayo have been the only team to put it up to Dublin during this reign of terror.

Since Jim Gavin took over Dublin, they've played Mayo 14 times and never lost.

Mayo's ability to put it up to Dublin is vastly over stated.

troyzer wrote: »

Not in the context of nobody else coming remotely close. Mayo have drawn with them and lost by a point twice in All Ireland finals. No other team has come close to that sort of competitiveness with Dublin, as limited as it is by Mayo never getting a victory over a Jim Gavin led side.

Mayo are also one of only two teams to beat them in Championship since 2011, having knocked them out in the 2012 semi final, albeit obviously significant changes in personnel since then for Dublin especially.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Saw a stat doing the rounds the other day that Mayo had been to 8 of the last 9 semi-finals, and lost to the eventual winners in all but one year.

troyzer wrote: »

The truth is the 2015-2017 run would have been a procession similar to 2018 but for Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Do you like Mayo thomond?

Do you like Mayo thomond?

Only in his prawn sandwiches...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Only in his prawn pear sandwiches...

Fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Not in the context of nobody else coming remotely close. Mayo have drawn with them and lost by a point twice in All Ireland finals. No other team has come close to that sort of competitiveness with Dublin, as limited as it is by Mayo never getting a victory over a Jim Gavin led side.

Mayo are also one of only two teams to beat them in Championship since 2011, having knocked them out in the 2012 semi final, albeit obviously significant changes in personnel since then for Dublin especially.

Actually thrice

2013, 2016 replay and 2017 they lost by a point each time. Also drew in 2016 as you say, and also in 2015 semi.

I do think this week may be the time Dublin finally win relatively comfortably however. Mayo's conversion rate is still extremely poor for a top side and the one week break will be very hard to navigate given the intensity displayed last week.

I think Mayo have declined a bit from 2013-2017 aswell. Tom parsons and Jason Doherty have been crucial players in the rivalry who won't be available saturday either. It appears Dublin will have a fully fit and fresh starting 15

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I'm a fan of using tickets.ie over TM, but christ they're slow... in the queue for Dublin v Mayo tickets since 10AM and they seem to have worked through about 500 orders in that time.

jr86 wrote: »
    Actually thrice

2013, 2016 replay and 2017 they lost by a point each time. Also drew in 2016 as you say, and also in 2015 semi.

I do think this week may be the time Dublin finally win relatively comfortably however. Mayo's conversion rate is still extremely poor for a top side and the one week break will be very hard to navigate given the intensity displayed last week.

I think Mayo have declined a bit from 2013-2017 aswell. Tom parsons and Jason Doherty have been crucial players in the rivalry who won't be available saturday either. It appears Dublin will have a fully fit and fresh starting 15

Parsons is back actually, he was on the bench Saturday. Jason Doherty is a big loss for them alright.

One week break is one of those things that will be talked about in hindsight, if
    Dublin win easily it will be too short, if there’s an upset it will be Dublin couldn’t reach intensity levels in that time frame and came in a bit cold. If Dublin start as slowly as they did against Galway in last years semi it will give Mayo a real chance.

I would find it hard to say they are not as good as they were from 13-17. They’re certainly carrying more players in their early 30s but their biggest players are in their peak now - Lee Keegan Aidan O’Shea Cillian O’Connor. Paddy Durcan has developed into a serious footballer over the last few seasons too.

They have also found a few younger players such as Matthew Ruane, Fionn Macdonagh and James Carr. Mayo have always had this weird habit of playing to the level of the opposition so barely scraping through qualifiers as they have done earlier on this season is very much the norm. They lifted their performance last weekend and I think they will do so again this weekend.

Parsons is back actually, he was on the bench Saturday. Jason Doherty is a big loss for them alright.

You've a better chance of starting yourself!

Hasn't even played for the club in over a year.

You've a better chance of starting yourself!

Hasn't even played for the club in over a year.

Obviously won’t start but he’s in the 26 albeit unlikely to see game time.

Obviously won’t start but he’s in the 26 albeit unlikely to see game time.

The point still stands though, he's an immense loss

Sold out. In a queue since 10am to no avail.

:(

Mayo are some draw for the GAA in fairness, absolute fanatical support

• Advertisement

You have probably seen it already but there is another batch on sale tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone ever had a small tear of their petellar tendon? Got the mri results today and I think the ortho is on holidays. So looking like a wait till I know more.

The second batch is on sale now. 5k ahead of me in the queue.

dregin wrote: »
    The second batch is on sale now. 5k ahead of me in the queue.

Got 3. Logged in at 10:15.

The in laws have got me one. I'm gonna stay in the queue to see what I can get.

Got 3. Logged in at 10:15.

Got sorted too. Really looking forward to it. Despite not enjoying their fans in Limerick a few weeks ago, will be shouting for the neighbors.

• Advertisement

Got sorted too. Really looking forward to it. Despite not enjoying their fans in Limerick a few weeks ago, will be shouting for the neighbors.
    The Donegal fans behind me in Castlebar were SIGNIFICANTLY more annoying than any Mayo people I could hear and I was shouting for Donegal >_<

dregin wrote: »
    The Donegal fans behind me in Castlebar were SIGNIFICANTLY more annoying than any Mayo people I could hear and I was shouting for Donegal >_<

Yeah there’s always a few clowns from every county at any match, we were just unfortunate to get stuck beside a gang of them in Limerick.

Yeah there’s always a few clowns from every county at any match, we were just unfortunate to get stuck beside a gang of them in Limerick.

I haven't been to many GAA matches without someone closeby engaged in a running commentary.

I haven't been to many GAA matches without someone closeby engaged in a running commentary.

Ah yeahs that to be expected. These clowns were more of the bad winners variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

See footage there on Twitter of Christian Wade scoring a touchdown for Buffalo. Wasn’t the narrative here that he’d never get anywhere near a starting team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

stephen_n wrote: »
    See footage there on Twitter of Christian Wade scoring a touchdown for Buffalo. Wasn’t the narrative here that he’d never get anywhere near a starting team?

Still preseason and he came on in the 4th quarter. There's still a good chance he won't make the 53 man roster and will be on the practice squad.

Long way to go for him yet. Jarryd Hayne made the 49ers roster a few years ago but he was incredible in the preseason.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Long way to go for him yet. Jarryd Hayne made the 49ers roster a few years ago but he was incredible in the preseason.

Then fumbled his first real touch of the ball and was essentially never seen again.

Wade will end up on the practice squad more than likely. Highly doubt he makes the roster.

stephen_n wrote: »

‘The 4th quarter of preseason is for future insurance salesmen’

However he’s done absolutely everything he could there. Definitely given himself a chance to make it past the next cuts.

‘The 4th quarter of preseason is for future insurance salesmen’

However he’s done absolutely everything he could there. Definitely given himself a chance to make it past the next cuts.

There's no rounds of cuts anymore. Just 90 -> 53 after the last preseason game. So Wade should be around for three more weeks of potential snaps.

Like Hayne the biggest opportunity for Wade might come on special teams.

There's no rounds of cuts anymore. Just 90 -> 53 after the last preseason game. So Wade should be around for three more weeks of potential snaps.

Ah that’s good. Worst case scenario he will definitely be on the practice squad. He’d be a free practice squad player so unless his personality is a problem I don’t see how he doesn’t end up there at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1159731803361546240?s=20

There's the footage. One possession and a 65 yard score, can't do much more. Still a long way to go but fair play to him.

There's a funny moment in that clip, after all the high-fiving his teammates have to remind him to get off the pitch.

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1159731803361546240?s=20

There's the footage. One possession and a 65 yard score, can't do much more. Still a long way to go but fair play to him.

There's a funny moment in that clip, after all the high-fiving his teammates have to remind him to get off the pitch.

Incredible. Far from an expert on American Football but didn’t think he had a prayer of making it tbh. Long way to go as you say but hopefully he continues to progress, be good craic to watch.

Oh Mayo. 35 minutes from a very big win.

35 minutes from typical mayo heartbreak you mean :D

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    35 minutes from typical mayo heartbreak you mean :D

Sitting here in the Cusack waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

10 minutes for the heartbreak to happen

Ah ****, here we go again...

That was an utterly ridiculous 15 min spell. 2-06 unanswered...

Lol.

Second half is men against boys. Jim Gavin must have a serious hairdryer.

Lol.

I'll remember this.

I'll remember this.

Ah I’m sorry thomond, it’s just Mayo are so predictable.

Actually thrice

As expected I'm afraid

What an outfit

Not a hope Kerry or Tyrone will come within 10 points of them.

Best team of all time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hahahaha

• Advertisement

Hahahaha

michael-collins-rea-screenshot1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement