Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Replay will be a different game if it's 70 minutes against 15. Kerry were hanging on up to the red, but you could sense Dublin were starting to build and pull away.

It's something else though that Dublin can still manage a draw with only a 4 point lead going into half time with a man down, especially when you look at the hurling final where Hogan was sent off around the same time and Tipp ended up pulling away to win by 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Kerry missed chances too. Could have been going in all square. Think if they had started Tommy Walsh they might be going home the cup.

Sean O’Shea was outstanding some performance for a 21 year old. Great character from David Clifford too, twenty years old had as bad a start as possible and kept showing up.

Dublin naturally favourites for replay but don’t see them hammering that Kerry side.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Must be some sickener for lads outside the 26 busting their hole all year to see Diarmuid Connolly coming on

He’s Better then they are and such is sport.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He’s Better then they are and such is sport.

True. But he was heading off to Boston until visa issues, lads involved are training eight months, can’t be great for morale for lads to see him coming on ahead of them/included in 26 ahead of him.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Kerry choked. They'll never get a handier chance than that. 14 men and a ref who couldn't have given them much more.

Kerry are a team of kids basically.

The ref didn’t get much wrong. Cooper had to go and Tom o Sullivan’s was never a yellow

https://twitter.com/shanesaint/status/1168276863179022336?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Deliberate foul all the same though*.

*Disclaimer: I know **** all about football.

Deliberate foul all the same though*.

*Disclaimer: I know **** all about football.

Ah yeah it’s a free no more though. It’s roughly equivalent to what Cooper did for the penalty and the outcome was the same in both cases - a ‘ticking’.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Ah yeah it’s a free no more though. It’s roughly equivalent to what Cooper did for the penalty and the outcome was the same in both cases - a ‘ticking’.

Like I said, I'm not a football head. And of course there are differing outcomes that infuriate fans across all sports.

In rugby, I would like a deliberate foul to be a yellow. Inadvertant or unintentional, fair enough. But deliberately, yellow.

Like I said, I'm not a football head. And of course there are differing outcomes that infuriate fans across all sports.

In rugby, I would like a deliberate foul to be a yellow. Inadvertant or unintentional, fair enough. But deliberately, yellow.

Very different sports though, rugby is obviously much more physical in nature. If yellows were been given in football for that O’Sullivan foul and consistently enforced, no game would finish without ten sending offs. Or the sport would essentially have to become non contact.

But regardless of that wider conversation, the ref was correct in this instance, that is a foul but nowhere near a yellow unless for repeated infringements hence the ticking.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dublin were -5 before today's game...

Scrambled a draw after being a man down for a full half.

And they are -4 tonight for the replay... Wtf??? I'm having lots of that

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Dublin were -5 before today's game...

Scrambled a draw after being a man down for a full half.

And they are -4 tonight for the replay... Wtf??? I'm having lots of that

It might come in but Dublin haven’t tended to win finals by much, they should have beaten Tyrone out the gate last year but only won by 6 and that was their biggest margin ever.

I could see a game where the result is never really in doubt but Dublin still only win by four or so. They’re often happy enough to retain possession when out in front rather than look to hammer a team. Dublin to win by 4-6 points at 7-2 looks a better bet to me than handicap.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Very different sports though, rugby is obviously much more physical in nature. If yellows were been given in football for that O’Sullivan foul and consistently enforced, no game would finish without ten sending offs. Or the sport would essentially have to become non contact.

But regardless of that wider conversation, the ref was correct in this instance, that is a foul but nowhere near a yellow unless for repeated infringements hence the ticking.

I didn't comment when it comes to the nature of the foul nor the physical nature of it. I said I hoped a deliberate foul would be carded.

The way you describe the fouls and the consequences for these fouls makes it sound like a ****ing free for all.

Many people in Ireland who otherwise love sports have issues with GAA footballs general inability to define a tackle, also known in other GAA circles as punching the other ****.

Very different sports though, rugby is obviously much more physical in nature.

Physicality is the problem, you're right.

Also, because this is the internet and sarcasm is apparently hard to discern ... /s.

I didn't comment when it comes to the nature of the foul nor the physical nature of it. I said I hoped a deliberate foul would be carded.

The way you describe the fouls and the consequences for these fouls makes it sound like a ****ing free for all.

Many people in Ireland who otherwise love sports have issues with GAA footballs general inability to define a tackle, also known in other GAA circles as punching the other ****.

Very different sports though, rugby is obviously much more physical in nature.

Physicality is the problem, you're right.

Also, because this is the internet and sarcasm is apparently hard to discern ... /s.

Have no idea what you’re ranting on about. As I said originally the ref made the correct decision under the current rule book. What you ‘hope’ the punishment should be isn’t relevant to that point.

Eh, ok. Like I said, not a Gaa head, so I couldn't care less.

Your use of the phrase 'but nowhere a yellow' was what I reacted to. And then:
    If yellows were been given in football for that O’Sullivan foul and consistently enforced, no game would finish without ten sending offs. Or the sport would essentially have to become non contact.

So it's obviously a problem with either fouls or consistentcy. Or contact. Pick one.

I'm out, by the way.

Eh, ok. Like I said, not a Gaa head, so I couldn't care less.

Your use of the phrase 'but nowhere a yellow' was what I reacted to. And then:

So it's obviously a problem with either fouls or consistentcy. Or contact. Pick one.

I'm out, by the way.

I never said there was a problem and don’t understand why you think there is. It was a free, free was given. It wasn’t a yellow no card was shown. It could be a yellow for persistent fouling if it was repeated so the number was taken, a ‘ticking’. Correct decision reached.

The bananas have lost majority after one of the fruit dealers defected. Will they have to trigger a general ripening?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The bananas have lost majority after one of the fruit dealers defected. Will they have to trigger a general ripening?

No there will be a banana uprising

If they do, the head banana will be the shortest lasting head of the fruit bowl in history. The only issue is the other bunches on the same side as the bananas are saying they won't stand in the election and let their fruit pickers pick the bananas, and the leader of the opposition bunch isn't exactly the most popular grape on the vine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

King banana clearly wants a general ripening to increase his quota of fruit stalls and put manners on the rebel bananas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If they do, the head banana will be the shortest lasting head of the fruit bowl in history. The only issue is the other bunches on the same side as the bananas are saying they won't stand in the selection and let their fruit pickers pick the bananas, and the leader of the opposition bunch isn't exactly the most popular grape on the vine.

Tsk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I hope we're talking bendy bananas

Bazzo wrote: »
    I hope we're talking bendy bananas

Did the EU not ban those?

Stheno wrote: »
    Did the EU not ban those?

No, the fruit and veg market never banned them, that was a myth orchestrated by dodgy telegraph installers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

39lv3z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

As much as i am impressed by the Fruit and veg analogies

No Politics

Saw an "article" in the IT today, lauding some flipped shoe-box in Stoneybatter going for EUR700k. The price per square foot put it above the average price in LA, and around the same level as NYC. And yet, salaries in Dublin are nowhere near those cities.

How the actual F do people afford to live in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Saw an "article" in the IT today, lauding some flipped shoe-box in Stoneybatter going for EUR700k. The price per square foot put it above the average price in LA, and around the same level as NYC. And yet, salaries in Dublin are nowhere near those cities.

We are getting to a point where a lot of the old admin type lower paying jobs in the city centre are either done by second earners or people from the suburbs or outside the county.

I couldn't believe there were people earning 30K or under in the city centre.

You either move further out from the city centre, a lot of people now out in the likes of Swords, Saggart, Rush/Lusk, or commuter towns like Ashbourne/Ratoath, Naas etc, or if you really want to stay closer to town you go for the likes of Eastwall, Rialto etc and pay 400k for a rundown 3 bed and look at it as an investment and end up tearing it apart.

Average house price in Dublin is now 388k. Which means you need a household income of 100k plus a cash deposit of 40k to get approved for a mortgage.

I can't see this Stoneybatter house on the website, link? How big was it sqft-wise? How many beds?

Edit, if it's what I've found on Daft, it's 140sqm. What are you on about, 'shoe-box'? That's a good sized family home.

• Advertisement

No Politics

ClY4rKIWgAATqur.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah there are a few things there. Firstly how big is the area covered by the LA Average. Stoneybatter is a relatively short walk to everywhere and a Strones trow from a Luas line that goes to the cities two main stations. LA is huge, and some parts are damn far from anything good.

I often see Dublin compared to NY, LA or SF and mostly it's people comparing outliers to averages. My OH lives in Brooklyn, probably 35 minutes subway from Manhatten. She lives in a 4 bed apartment with one bathroom, a kitchenette with no kitchen table and no living space. Her room has a bed, hanging rail, desk and a single chair - no wardrobe. Some of the rooms in that apartment have windows with a metre of clearance to the wall opposite. Her apartment would be comfortably illegal under irish building regs. She pays similar rent to me. I share a pretty big two bed apartment with one other person in Dublin city centre.

Dublin is a ****show for rent and property right now, but so are those cities. It's all the same structure of property ownership.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

EDsBR-iXsAAHsyS.jpg

Hastings Hotels Belfast. I think they're on to something.

Will also add the 'shoe-box' is more expensive than about 90% of properties sold in Dublin in 2018 so not as if that's your only choice.

Stoneybatter is still the only place I've ever seen a dead body on a street in broad daylight, so you'll forgive my absence of enthusiasm that it's a mere skip-and-jump to a Luas station.

Data on global house prices per square foot are here: https://www.statista.com/statistics/730312/most-expensive-property-markets-worldwide-by-average-ppsf/

The Stoneybatter house clocks in at $509 per sq-foot, using today's exchange rate. Keep in mind that average prices per unit-of-space in mega cities will always get skewed upwards because due to the small cluster of well-located $10million+ apartments (basically live-in luxury hotels). I would be quietly confident that Chateau du Roux-au-Pierre might rank farther up that list if median prices were used.

In any event, I'm not morally opposed to expensive property, provided the market is getting good value for money. I'll happily shell out $1000 per sq foot in the Bay Area, if I have access to tech admin jobs paying $300k per year. My grave concern with Dublin is that the house market is utterly unsustainable given the wages on offer in the city, and that prices largely reflect inflated equity (lucky for some), inheritance (lucky for others) and/or highly leveraged speculation (very very risky).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

awec wrote: »

Hastings Hotels Belfast. I think they're on to something.

I always take whiskey in my porridge. It's gorgeous. Also allows for experimentation. Peaty whiskey is really nice.
    It does get strange looks in the works canteen though.

• Advertisement

If you're putting brown sugar, cream and boiled oats into your whiskey, do you really need the whiskey to be a 10-year-old single malt scotch? (tasting notes: the giant globs of congealed cream really amplify the smoky peaty undertones that can only come from ageing in small barrels to increase the wood surface area and the crunchy brown sugar plays well with the smoothness imparted by traditional charcoal distilling)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Rugby day!

Someone get me a pear and bacon sandwich.

Antonio Brown has had a crazy week. NFL is insane.

Antonio Brown has had a crazy week. NFL is insane.

His timeline this season has been:

1. Arrives at OTAs in a helicopter
    2. Throws a fit and storms out of OTAs because of his helmet being banned under the new regulations, tries to paint it to look the same as the legal ones but gets caught and once again goes ballistic.
    3. After the summer break, misses the start of training camp due to having frostbite from cryotherapy.
    4. Season opener rolls around, but he gets suspended for fighting with the GM and threatening to punch him in the face.
    5. Suspension gets rolled back, but Brown then posts a video of Gruden his coach calling him asking to stop the drama and just play football on social media.
    6. Brown then posts on Instagram saying "Release me", which the raiders do and he forfeits $30M in guaranteed money.
    7. Patriots swoop in and sign him as a free agent.

It's genuinely one of the craziest stories in NFL history, and to think he was on the same team as Richie Incognito and made him look like a sane person in comparison.

It's amazing. I've been laughing for quite a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

If you're putting brown sugar, cream and boiled oats into your whiskey, do you really need the whiskey to be a 10-year-old single malt scotch? (tasting notes: the giant globs of congealed cream really amplify the smoky peaty undertones that can only come from ageing in small barrels to increase the wood surface area and the crunchy brown sugar plays well with the smoothness imparted by traditional charcoal distilling)...

You're absolutely right. Following this logic the next time i make a carbonara sauce i will be adding calvita instead of parmesan.

Anyone watched the Off the Ball roadshow with Roy Keane and Gary Neville? Keane was in great form.

You're absolutely right. Following this logic the next time i make a carbonara sauce i will be adding calvita instead of parmesan.

What sort of troglodyte uses parmesan?

I bet you use pancetta too... <shudder>

The Bernard Shaw is closing next month. It'll be sorely missed I reckon, awful shame to see places like that, The Longstone, Howl at the Moon, even Andrew's Lane closing down and being replaced by hotels and Wetherspoons.

The Bernard Shaw is closing next month. It'll be sorely missed I reckon, awful shame to see places like that, The Longstone, Howl at the Moon, even Andrew's Lane closing down and being replaced by hotels and Wetherspoons.

Yeah I live around the corner and I will miss the GBS, I'll actually miss Eatyard even more. It seems that the real killer ended up being the whole area being bought by a developer which is sad. But from a planning perspective I think it was on it's last legs anyway. They had been sort of dicks with regard to blissfully breaking the terms of their planning permission over the last few years. So I find it hard to have much sympathy for the owners themselves.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Yeah I live around the corner and I will miss the GBS, I'll actually miss Eatyard even more. It seems that the real killer ended up being the whole area being bought by a developer which is sad. But from a planning perspective I think it was on it's last legs anyway. They had been sort of dicks with regard to blissfully breaking the terms of their planning permission over the last few years. So I find it hard to have much sympathy for the owners themselves.

Ah yeah they were definitely acting the bollox with the beer garden, considering they were told a few years ago what they had to do in terms of noise reduction and didn't bother.

You'd wonder how long it'll be until certain parts of the city are torn up altogether, with the amount of student apartment blocks and hotels being built, as well as all the office spaces. Feck all residential apartment buildings going up.

I must say I like McWilliams's (I think) idea - move Dublin Port to Louth and redevelop Dublin Port as mostly residential property.

No Politics

big_trouble.jpg?itok=78IjkoJ1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Is it common practice to increase prices mid contract (as in 6 months into an 18 month contract) in Ireland? Apparently it is here, seems ****ing ludicrous to me, so the contract is basically only beneficial to the company then???

Bazzo wrote: »
    Is it common practice to increase prices mid contract (as in 6 months into an 18 month contract) in Ireland? Apparently it is here, seems ****ing ludicrous to me, so the contract is basically only beneficial to the company then???

Is this within a phone contract? Or telecoms contract?

If the price goes up at all you have 30 days to opt out with no penalty. If it's a billpay phone you've just won the jackpot, because when you opt out you will get to keep your handset even though you haven't come close to paying it off.

When Three did it a few years ago loads of people did really well out of it. My mate had just started an iphone 7 contract (I think). He had paid 100e and was on the hook for 60e per month. Immediately got out of it having paid for one month. Brand new iphone 7 cost him 160e!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement