Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I can't help but feel that as the virus was evolving into it's current form, somewhere in it's loose sense of consciousness it said to itself "fcuk partyjungle in particular"

We've all done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

OldRio wrote: »
    Well I suppose with an increasing global population a good cull was needed.
    Unfortunately my age bracket has increased my chances of winning this particular 'lottery'

(Whereabouts did I put that bucket list.)

If they bring travel bans in you won’t be able to do a lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Lads anyone any experience with mobile broadband for the house?

3 are offering unlimited for 30 quid a month.

I'm talking a small bit of netflix (few hours a week), 2 young ones using wifi on their phones and herself sending the odd email.

Seems a bit mad that we're paying a small fortune to virgin every month for something that doesn't get a lot of use.
    No gaming or streaming in our house so again it's not a huge deal if it's not "lightning speed".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

stephen_n wrote: »
    If they bring travel bans in you won’t be able to do a lot of them.

Well so much for that.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

mfceiling wrote: »

I'm talking a small bit of netflix (few hours a week), 2 young ones using wifi on their phones and herself sending the odd email.

Seems a bit mad that we're paying a small fortune to virgin every month for something that doesn't get a lot of use.
    No gaming or streaming in our house so again it's not a huge deal if it's not "lightning speed".

Sounds like you could almost get away with an amazon wireless modem and a gomo sim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Zzippy wrote: »
    If I was quarantined it would mean having to keep the kids home from creche too. There's not a prayer I would even get to read an email, never mind get any work done...

So now we've got an email to all staff that anyone who returned from an affected country must work from home and self-quarantine for 14 days. I came back from France last week... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I was checking it out too, we've Vodafone 4G which is quick but limited to 150GB a month and not cheap. Read a lot of reports that 3 throttle traffic so your speeds can be awful, and their customer service is appalling. Think there's a no-contract option on a rolling month basis but no wifi router included so you'd need to buy your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Is SIRO available in your area? You can get it for €35 a month from 12 months on Sky, then after your 12months are up see if Vodafone are still doing their €25 for 6months and €50 for 6 months deal. You can also stay with Virgin and just ring them up and tell them that your leaving and they should offer you a better deal. Check out this thread to get an idea of what kind of deals people are getting

b.gud wrote: »
    Is SIRO available in your area? You can get it for €35 a month from 12 months on Sky, then after your 12months are up see if Vodafone are still doing their €25 for 6months and €50 for 6 months deal. You can also stay with Virgin and just ring them up and tell them that your leaving and they should offer you a better deal. Check out this thread to get an idea of what kind of deals people are getting

Unfortunately Siro isn't available in our area. Might be an idea to buy a router and a couple of wifi boosters then try 3 for mobile on a month to month basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

We've all done it.

Speak for yourself. I for one have not had sexual relations with partyjungle. Il ne m’a pas non plus taillé une pipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Great read and thanks for sharing.

When you say “great”, you mean long, right?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Zzippy wrote: »
    So now we've got an email to all staff that anyone who returned from an affected country must work from home and self-quarantine for 14 days. I came back from France last week... :rolleyes:

Same rule in my office......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

14 days of not being in the office? Where do I sign up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I hear there are already promising studies that show COVID-19 may be treatable with cannabis oil.

More proof of the struggling insurance sector :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Bazzo wrote: »
    I hear there are already promising studies that show COVID-19 may be treatable with cannabis oil.

But Garda I need to smoke this joint to stop the spread of the coronavirus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

More proof of the struggling insurance sector :rolleyes:

FBD came extremely close to going bust a few years ago. As a result they were getting fairly shafted by their reinsurers if I recall correctly. Then they were bought by that Canadian company and were immediately able to get cheaper risk transfer.

The main difference there is that their claims went down by €35m leading to a better underwriting profit. In their annual report they actually give the government some credit for this.
    1. An increased willingness to recognise that plaintiffs have some degree of responsibility for
      their own personal safety, building on the decision in Byrne v Ardenheath (2017). This should
      assist businesses who are being held to unreasonably high standards in personal injury cases.
      In addition, in the event a plaintiff succeeds in proving a breach of statutory duty on the part
      of the defendant, a causal link must be shown before damages will be awarded (McCarthy v
      Twomey (2019).
      [/QUO
    2. The PIAB (Amendment) Act was enacted in April to address the non-co-operation of claimants
      including failure to attend medical examinations and failure to cooperate with experts.
      T
    3. Claimants can now incur penalties in respect of legal costs but only at the judge’s discretion.
      5 The Civil Liability & Courts Act has been amended to reduce the timeframe of notification of
      a claim to a defendant from two months to one.
      E]
    4. Legislation was passed to establish the Judicial Council and the Personal Injuries Guidelines
      Committee. The Judicial Council was formally established in February 2020 and the
      Committee is to follow.

FBD did manage to pass some savings on to customers, with a 4.5% reduction in average motor premiums being the highlight there. We won't know how they're doing by business line until their SFCR comes out, but if they're reporting that the weather was a large part in the reductions of the claims I suspect that basically there was a good year for agriculture in Ireland and they simply benefited.

An insurance company that almost went bankrupt 3 years ago is doing okay today. That's pretty much the nature of insurance.

errlloyd wrote: »
    FBD came extremely close to going bust a few years ago. As a result they were getting fairly shafted by their reinsurers if I recall correctly. Then they were bought by that Canadian company and were immediately able to get cheaper risk transfer.

The main difference there is that their claims went down by €35m leading to a better underwriting profit. In their annual report they actually give the government some credit for this.

FBD did manage to pass some savings on to customers, with a 4.5% reduction in average motor premiums being the highlight there. We won't know how they're doing by business line until their SFCR comes out, but if they're reporting that the weather was a large part in the reductions of the claims I suspect that basically there was a good year for agriculture in Ireland and they simply benefited.

An insurance company that almost went bankrupt 3 years ago is doing okay today. That's pretty much the nature of insurance.

I left FBD in 2016 after my premium went up 75% in three years. They made €11m in profit that year. €50m for the next two years and now €112.5m this year. They have reduced their motor premiums by 4%. Their profits this year represent 30% of their over all insured premiums. That is nothing but pure greed. They made a loss once in 10 years and their customers have paid a huge price for that loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

errlloyd wrote: »

Thoughts and prayers.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hearing word that we have confirmed cases here

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Hearing word that we have confirmed cases here

Wouldn’t surprise if it was one of those schools coming back from Italy last week.

Wouldn’t surprise if it was one of those schools coming back from Italy last week.

I don't have any media link, but I'm hearing from a source of a Dublin hospital having 3 cases

Edit: obviously this is not official

Fair enough.

I'd expect though that the word will be very wise spread before we get any official confirmation

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Folks, please avoid rampant speculation. Discuss it, but no bizarre stuff (it's elsewhere on boards and we don't want it here)

BTW The Rape of Lucretia raised a great point in Current Affairs. I had no idea that so many of you lot went skiing in Italy in the winter. I'm so out of date with my holidays.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    BTW The Rape of Lucretia raised a great point in Current Affairs. I had no idea that so many of you lot went skiing in Italy in the winter. I'm so out of date with my holidays.

Several schools did on mid term apparently and my old school came back with 7 kids having flu like symptoms seemingly. Caused a little bit of panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Probably isn't helped by the fact we've had a cold snap over the past couple weeks with the storms, and it's flu season anyways.

There was one suspected case in my job, a lad who'd travelled to a conference in Italy but nothing confirmed. I'd say there's hundreds of others.

It's mad how much of a frenzy it's whipped up, I've heard some absolutely absurd rumours that people are picking up about people having confirmed cases and contaminating nursing homes etc which were complete bollox

My eldest was in Andorra on a ski trip with the school last week. She was sick yesterday and had the day off....herself completely convinced she has the Corona virus.
    No thought as to a bit of a cold or a sniffles...nope, straight to the virus.

*she was grand last night and will be back in school today*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

My eldest was in Andorra on a ski trip with the school last week. She was sick yesterday and had the day off....herself completely convinced she has the Corona virus.
    No thought as to a bit of a cold or a sniffles...nope, straight to the virus.

*she was grand last night and will be back in school today*

She hasnt heard that the virus flares up, calms down and that reasserts itself violently before the endgame.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Since when the hell do schools go on skiing trips!?!?

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »

Celtic Tiger pups

Celtic Tiger pups

It was news to me as well. Especially when she told me the cost.

We used to get a poxy day out to a local forest park or national trust attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

We went on a skiing trip 20 years ago in TY. Utter waste of time. End of skiing season when it was cheaper and stayed in exceptionally budget accommodation and flew into an airport 7 hours away. I'll never go skiing again. There's only so many times you can go to the top of a hill and slide down it before it becomes mind numbingly boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

When I was in school (early 90s) we went on a week's trip to France, but they at least made some effort at making it educational - Bayeux tapestry, WW2 cemeteries, Versailles, etc.

What's the educational value in going skiing?

Buer wrote: »
    We went on a skiing trip 20 years ago in TY. Utter waste of time. End of skiing season when it was cheaper and stayed in exceptionally budget accommodation and flew into an airport 7 hours away. I'll never go skiing again. There's only so many times you can go to the top of a hill and slide down it before it becomes mind numbingly boring.

I go a lot these days, being based basically in the alps. But I don't really get the people who turn up at the first lift, eat a sandwich on the slopes and ski all day. If I don't spend at least half my time on the slopes in a bar "enjoying the mountain air" I think I've done it wrong.

Also just realised that I too was in TY 20 years ago :(

When I was in school (early 90s) we went on a week's trip to France, but they at least made some effort at making it educational - Bayeux tapestry, WW2 cemeteries, Versailles, etc.

Zero. I don't understand it at all. Just seems like a good way to highlight the poorer kids.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Zero. I don't understand it at all. Just seems like a good way to highlight the poorer kids.

Maybe it's only posh schools who do it?

It's not educational, it's just a see-the-world expanding horizons type thing. And fun.

My school did it. Also had trips to Spain for a week.

even within the posh schools there are a lot of kids whose parents sacrafice a lot to get the fees together, this kind of thing is beyond lots of those parents.

AWEC is posh

• Advertisement

AWEC is posh

So is mfceiling.

Feck covid-19 the world is ending:pac:

AWEC is posh

Haha if you ever met me...

awec wrote: »
    Haha if you ever met me...

Dont rule it out. I do occasionally buttle to earn the odd extra shilling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I never thought about that function having a verb. Huh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I never thought about that function having a verb. Huh.

Reminds me of a Calvin and Hobbes strip: "Verbing weirds language".

Why did awec cross the road?

His 3rd car was parked on the other side.

To avoid the middle class people coming his way.

His 3rd car was parked on the other side.

I would be most unimpressed with my driver if he made me cross the road to get to the car.

Why did awec get on the bus?

Ha ha ha ha ha awec would never get on a bus.

• Advertisement

What's the difference between awec and a prawn sambo eating, wax jacket wearing, d4 Leinster supporter?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement