Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

mfceiling wrote: »
    People find this hard to believe but we have 1 tv in our house!! In the living room and that's it.

When they get to a certain size you call them home cinemas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

First school shut down for two weeks in Dublin because of a confirmed case of the coronavirus, just praying and hoping my office gets shut down tomorrow at some stage with my laptop left conveniently on my desk.....

Really getting out of hand now in Italy, 566 new cases with a multiple of that infected no doubt. I can't help but wonder why there is no talk about what this is likely to do to the African continent.

Really getting out of hand now in Italy, 566 new cases with a multiple of that infected no doubt. I can't help but wonder why there is no talk about what this is likely to do to the African continent.

There's very few cases reported in Africa so far, France24 posted an article earlier with officials discussing how they're not quite sure why https://www.france24.com/en/20200301-with-only-three-official-cases-africa-s-low-coronavirus-rate-puzzles-health-experts they're not sure if the climate plays a part or it's a simple case of not reporting it due to the current health system and education etc.

It'll also wreak havoc in India due to the infection rates and the dense population

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The Trip to Greece is available to watch on Sky right now.

Coogan and Brydon back again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Four cases reported in the West now. All four travelled from Italy recently. Sounds like two couples (two males, two females).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Four cases reported in the West now. All four travelled from Italy recently. Sounds like two couples (two males, two females).

I believe it's been reported that they are in the same family.

The boards thread about the corona virus is some mess. Probably the most popular thread boards has ever had. I don't know how anyone can keep up with it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The boards thread about the corona virus is some mess. Probably the most popular thread boards has ever had. I don't know how anyone can keep up with it.

It's a bit bonkers alright

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Stopped reading it last week when the misery merchants got a bit much. World is ending, why haven't the government quarantined us all etc etc.

Rang the mother this morning to arrange collection at the airport in the morning (they're getting ready to leave Singapore).
    Over there they are disinfecting everything that literally moves. Every shopping centre has a single entry and exit point which are not beside each other. Everyone gets their temperature read entering the building and then they have to walk through some kind of scanner which shows your body temperature on an infra red screen.
    Sanitisers everywhere and public transport is screening temps etc.

"I suppose dublin is the same and they're very strict at the airport?"

"Well I saw on Twitter last night that they're handing out leaflets about the virus"

"Oh"...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

mfceiling wrote: »
    Rang the mother this morning to arrange collection at the airport in the morning (they're getting ready to leave Singapore).
    Over there they are disinfecting everything that literally moves. Every shopping centre has a single entry and exit point which are not beside each other. Everyone gets their temperature read entering the building and then they have to walk through some kind of scanner which shows your body temperature on an infra red screen.
    Sanitisers everywhere and public transport is screening temps etc.

"I suppose dublin is the same and they're very strict at the airport?"

"Well I saw on Twitter last night that they're handing out leaflets about the virus"

"Oh"...
    According to the HSE temp scanning is waste of time, it’s just window dressing. A lot of people won’t have a fever and many would just take paracetamol to reduce their temperature anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Boards acting up for anyone else this evening? Twice I've clicked onto the front page of the rugby forum and been presented with threads from 14 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

DGRulz wrote: »
    Boards acting up for anyone else this evening? Twice I've clicked onto the front page of the rugby forum and been presented with threads from 14 years ago.

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

DGRulz wrote: »

Yup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Cheltenham next week.
    Many here backed anything or will do so during the 4 days?

Anyone want a free margherita pizza from Milanos?
    3 sent me a code for a free one and it expires on sunday. I'm not going to use it so throw me a pm and you can have a pizza...for free.
    What's better than pizza? Free pizza that's what.

stephen_n wrote: »
    According to the HSE temp scanning is waste of time, it’s just window dressing. A lot of people won’t have a fever and many would just take paracetamol to reduce their temperature anyway.

Exactly. You can be carrying the virus and not presenting any symptoms. You could also have a temp for reasons other than the Corona virus. It's a load of BS. Lots of people freaking out over something that doesnt warrant this level of hysteria.

The big problem is how quickly and easily its spreading. But that's being driven in part by people being dumb. A colleagues daughter is working in a pharmacy. A woman yesterday came in with her kid claiming the kid had the Corona virus. As the pharmacist said to her "what are you doing here so?"....."well you're medical people arent you!".

You can vaccinate against some things and treat others. Stupidity though is something you can do feck all about. I heard someone else in the work canteen yesterday saying our biggest issue is that human beings cant evolve any further than we already have and so all these new viruses will eventually catch up to us as a species. I was as close as I've ever been to turning on a stranger, telling them to shut the f*** up and stop announcing their stupidity to the world.

As long as idiots like these people exist you'll have people who should be self isolating just going out and infecting others. Theres not much anyone can do about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

molloyjh wrote: »
    Exactly. You can be carrying the virus and not presenting any symptoms. You could also have a temp for reasons other than the Corona virus. It's a load of BS. Lots of people freaking out over something that doesnt warrant this level of hysteria.

The big problem is how quickly and easily its spreading. But that's being driven in part by people being dumb. A colleagues daughter is working in a pharmacy. A woman yesterday came in with her kid claiming the kid had the Corona virus. As the pharmacist said to her "what are you doing here so?"....."well you're medical people arent you!".

You can vaccinate against some things and treat others. Stupidity though is something you can do feck all about. I heard someone else in the work canteen yesterday saying our biggest issue is that human beings cant evolve any further than we already have and so all these new viruses will eventually catch up to us as a species. I was as close as I've ever been to turning on a stranger, telling them to shut the f*** up and stop announcing their stupidity to the world.

As long as idiots like these people exist you'll have people who should be self isolating just going out and infecting others. Theres not much anyone can do about that.

This is it. Friend here in town is a surgeon; patient recovering in post-op says to the PREGNANT nurse:

"glad I got to go on vacation before having this surgery"

"oh, where were you?"

"Northern Italy for 3 weeks. I didn't want to tell anyone because I was afraid you would cancel the surgery"

We got a text late last night saying "someone in the company is currently being tested for COVID-19, they're awaiting results and staff can come into the office or work remotely if they wish and are able to do so".

So anyways a few of us trudged in regardless (mostly because I forgot my laptop) and it turned out the person was in one of our other offices and hadn't been in work for about a week and a half.

So we're back to BAU tomorrow, regardless of the test results, but I'm expecting mass hysteria from anyone who didn't come in today and are expected to come back tomorrow. Obviously there's exceptions being made for anyone who's vunerable etc but people are going insane

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

When my daughter was born we had the beast from the east shut the place down.

Missus is due in a month and now we have a virus threatening to shut the place down.

If there’s a god, I reckon he wants to make things awkward for me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

awec wrote: »

Missus is due in a month and now we have a virus threatening to shut the place down.

I reckon that's just Karma :pac:

Neil3030 wrote: »
    This is it. Friend here in town is a surgeon; patient recovering in post-op says to the PREGNANT nurse:

"glad I got to go on vacation before having this surgery"

"oh, where were you?"

"Northern Italy for 3 weeks. I didn't want to tell anyone because I was afraid you would cancel the surgery"

Yep, people can be wonderful. But they can also be utter dicks.

ie12HHc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

13 cases now, starting to spread quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

stephen_n wrote: »
    13 cases now, starting to spread quicker.

It's already spread quicker. We're just only detecting it now.

Yeah, try get out of the mindset that finding cases is automatically bad.

Italy likely had cases spreading since mid January without detection, and NOT identifying them until late February has them in their current state - 3500 cases largely condensed in three regions totalling 20m population, or 1 in 5000 or so people.

But don't worry. The worst affected region of China had 67k cases with a population of 60m, or 1 in 1000 people, and they still got it under control, largely with simple interventions like case tracing and banning public gatherings.

In Ireland the Italian odds extrapolate to 900 cases, the Hubei odds extrapolate to 4,500. So let's stay calm until we start getting near this range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Odd TV question maybe someone here can help me

So I have Netflix, Eir sport, Amazon (they're through phone bill), and will be adding Disney + to the list is phone and chromecast the best option?

So I have Netflix, Eir sport, Amazon (they're through phone bill), and will be adding Disney + to the list is phone and chromecast the best option?

I have Netflix and picked up Disney for a year on sale. I use phone or pc and chromecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yes.

Alternatives like Fire Stick or Roku will not support Eir Sport as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Yeah, try get out of the mindset that finding cases is automatically bad.

Italy likely had cases spreading since mid January without detection, and NOT identifying them until late February has them in their current state - 3500 cases largely condensed in three regions totalling 20m population, or 1 in 5000 or so people.

But don't worry. The worst affected region of China had 67k cases with a population of 60m, or 1 in 1000 people, and they still got it under control, largely with simple interventions like case tracing and banning public gatherings.

In Ireland the Italian odds extrapolate to 900 cases, the Hubei odds extrapolate to 4,500. So let's stay calm until we start getting near this range.

China dealt with the virus in a way I don't think other countries can replicate. Things are changing in Italy as the numbers rise and their ability to treat becomes seriously stretched.

A humanitarian crisis is happening in Iran and I think that's a template for what we will see as this virus hits other poor regions.

WHO hit the panic button on Wednesday because this isn't being taken seriously. I've no idea what the next few months are going to look like, but I think it's going to become quickly unmanageable and in some countries destabilising.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

I don't know if it supports Eir Sports but the Nvidia shield TV would be a great option as well. There's a thread on here that you can ask about Eir Sports

Phone and Chromecast would obviously work really well and would probably be the cheaper option, even if you went for the 4k Chromecast model

China dealt with the virus in a way I don't think other countries can replicate. Things are changing in Italy as the numbers rise and their ability to treat becomes seriously stretched.

A humanitarian crisis is happening in Iran and I think that's a template for what we will see as this virus hits other poor regions.

WHO hit the panic button on Wednesday because this isn't being taken seriously. I've no idea what the next few months are going to look like, but I think it's going to become quickly unmanageable and in some countries destabilising.

I agree this could ravage the developing world. A lot will depend there on how rising seasonal temperatures and changing humidity levels will help kill airborne or surface particles of the virus.

China's model can work in first world countries that take this seriously. Again, (paraphrasing the WHO epidemiologist in the linked article) - China largely used fast case tracing and banning public events. They've reported no new cases today, outside of Wuhan.

If the first world gets its act together we can also limit the risk posed to the developing world.

Yes.

Alternatives like Fire Stick or Roku will not support Eir Sport as far as I know.

You cannot cast using a Fire Stick which I was not aware of when I bought it. That's literally the only feature I needed. Although I've realised recently you can use its browser to navigate to dodgy rugby stream sites and that works quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Clearly God is a big fan of Nucifora and he doesn't like the mean things that you have been saying about him :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It's the length of time that we're likely to be living with this that I'm finding difficult (coupled with myself and my partner both being compromised). It's almost certain to escalate over the next few months.

The UK's CMO has said best case / worst case scenario ranges from 20%-80% of people contracting it. He also said he expects to have 50% of the cases in a 3 week period, and 95% in a 9 week period; whatever way you crunch the numbers, that's an awful lot of people sick at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Vietnam FTW. 100 million people, shared border with China, 16 cases and immediately went into lockdown. Declared an epidemic on Feb 1st. All festivals and tourist activities cancelled. Border closed with China as well as flights to and from China and South Korea suspended. 30 testing centres set up. All travellers coming from a list of high risk countries (including Italy) have to undergo mandatory testing.

The 16 people have recovered. No new cases since February 13th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It depends on your needs here. The Chromecast is only useful if everyone in your household has a phone - so I guess it can be kind of useles if you have kids (although I guess it's a useful mechanism for knowing what they're watching).

If you want your streaming box to have a UI and a remote standing alone a Roku might be better. I use an Nvidia Shield. Chromecast on Steroids. They cost between 150 and 200. But having it's own remote and UI makes it pretty handy - but you can also Cast to your Shield the exact same way you'd cast to a chromecast.

My rent is going up. A housemate is moving out. My other two housemates (four of us in total) want the new tenant to absorb the 4% increase. I'm kinda in shock and fundamentally disagree with this. Especially when its someone I'll have to live with. Is this normal thing to do?

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Vietnam FTW. 100 million people, shared border with China, 16 cases and immediately went into lockdown. Declared an epidemic on Feb 1st. All festivals and tourist activities cancelled. Border closed with China as well as flights to and from China and South Korea suspended. 30 testing centres set up. All travellers coming from a list of high risk countries (including Italy) have to undergo mandatory testing.

The 16 people have recovered. No new cases since February 13th.

Maybe this is what we should have done, but it's not fool proof either.

This virus isn't going away, it's going to keep travelling the world so unless Vietnam is going into permanent lock down they are going to have a break out eventually.

The economic cost to what they are doing is high, it would be much - much higher here. The cost of dealing with this virus on a national basis is going to be high so killing off economic activity for something that is going to eventually spread may turn out to be a worse approach.

From what I've been reading the major impact here is that this is going to lower life expectancy around the world until some level of vaccination is possible. Not only does this virus infect elderly patients disproportionately, it also has a much higher mortality rate as you age.

From what I've been reading the major impact here is that this is going to lower life expectancy around the world until some level of vaccination is possible. Not only does this virus infect elderly patients disproportionately, it also has a much higher mortality rate as you age.

Luke O'Neill (Professor/immunologist in TCD) was on the David McWilliams podcast this week. His estimate is that a vaccine will be available by around September or October. The science and speed around immunology has leapt forward massively in recent years, apparently.

Interestingly, he also noted that Norway is providing a huge amount of the funding for the research from their financial reserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

My rent is going up. A housemate is moving out. My other two housemates (four of us in total) want the new tenant to absorb the 4% increase. I'm kinda in shock and fundamentally disagree with this. Especially when its someone I'll have to live with. Is this normal thing to do?

Do they propose telling the new tenant, or just slipping it in under the radar?

Either way, pretty ****ty thing to do.

Buer wrote: »
    Luke O'Neill (Professor/immunologist in TCD) was on the David McWilliams podcast this week. His estimate is that a vaccine will be available by around September or October. The science and speed around immunology has leapt forward massively in recent years, apparently.

Interestingly, he also noted that Norway is providing a huge amount of the funding for the research from their financial reserves.

The vaccine is going to be needed because warmer climates don't seem to do much to slow the spread.

The concern around a potential vaccine is that the rate this is moving through the population and the macro numbers involved mean that variants of the virus (and there already appears to be two) will make early vaccines redundant.

If it's for a bigger room than the others then maybe, but if it's the exact same situation as the rest of the housemates it's a shítty move. Especially considering a 4% increase across 4 people might be only 50 quid extra month if even, as opposed to someone else paying an extra 200 quid or whatever compared to everyone else in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This could actually be illegal?

You see it all the time though. I am in a facebook group for renting in Dublin - it's mostly non nationals. You'll often see something like "Double Room, in an apartment with 3 other people, rent 950, deposit 850". Those situations it is pretty obvious what is happening.

Personally I feel that your housemates are being unfair - and I think it'd be awkward enough if the new housemate ever found out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

If it's for a bigger room than the others then maybe, but if it's the exact same situation as the rest of the housemates it's a shítty move. Especially considering a 4% increase across 4 people might be only 50 quid extra month if even, as opposed to someone else paying an extra 200 quid or whatever compared to everyone else in the house.

Is 5 grand a month really normal for a 4 bed in Dublin these days? Fuuuuck that.

Two of the rooms are identical. The rest are priced accordingly. I pushed back and they've realised it's a bad idea... just in case the person found out... I'm kinda disturbed the people I live with think like this...

Bazzo wrote: »
    Is 5 grand a month really normal for a 4 bed in Dublin these days? Fuuuuck that.

2 bed apartments in grand canal docks rent for 3700 a month

No, it's not. That would be very much high end stuff. If you check on Daft, the houses that are asking for €5k are family homes in exclusive areas of the city. They're not aimed at your average renter at all. Move beyond the large homes in D4/D6 and there are plenty of properties looking for €2,000-€3,500.

Nah figures were exaggerated, but it'd still be a fair chunk more per month for the other person to swallow compared to splitting it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement