Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nah figures were exaggerated, but it'd still be a fair chunk more per month for the other person to swallow compared to splitting it

it would mean one tenant paying about 15% more than the other 3 housemates...

unacceptable and a ****ty thing to suggest...
    everyone should suffer the extra €10 a week rather than putting it all on one person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Two of the rooms are identical. The rest are priced accordingly. I pushed back and they've realised it's a bad idea... just in case the person found out... I'm kinda disturbed the people I live with think like this...

It depends on ages/cultures I guess. There's a fair few ads on daft and Facebook etc where people sub-let rooms out and charge absolutely mental amounts to subsidise their own rent because they know there's people desperate to find housing. And then there's also people renting two bed apartments and sticking bunk beds in them or three single beds in a room and charging 400 quid per bed

My gf works in a nursing home. Patient has just been diagnosed with corona. **** is getting real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

errlloyd wrote: »
    It depends on your needs here. The Chromecast is only useful if everyone in your household has a phone - so I guess it can be kind of useles if you have kids (although I guess it's a useful mechanism for knowing what they're watching).

If you want your streaming box to have a UI and a remote standing alone a Roku might be better. I use an Nvidia Shield. Chromecast on Steroids. They cost between 150 and 200. But having it's own remote and UI makes it pretty handy - but you can also Cast to your Shield the exact same way you'd cast to a chromecast.

I don't have kids.
    It's more I'd like having one place that all the apps could live on so a person with a phone isn't required

Would that shield or an android box do that?

My gf works in a nursing home. Patient has just been diagnosed with corona. **** is getting real.

That's awful news. That nursing home in the states was badly hit - hoping for the best for all involved.

That's awful news. That nursing home in the states was badly hit - hoping for the best for all involved.

There's a chance I might have it.

Pffft apparently its not true. Rumours. Apologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I don't have kids.
    It's more I'd like having one place that all the apps could live on so a person with a phone isn't required

Would that shield or an android box do that?

Yeah an adroid box would. The shield is the king of android boxes.

It depends on your budget - it might be a bit of a sledgehammer for a thumb tack type solution for your problem. But going from a Firestick (for example) to a shield was like going from a web-book to a top of the range business lap.

Mine does all the standards - Netflix, Prime, Virgin and Eir. It also has my Plex app and plex server running on it. I use it for my IPTV player, photo stream.

On top of that it has a games console element in GeForce Now. I think it was originally designed to primarily be a games console, but most people just bought it as a streamer. I don't play any video games on it properly, but I do use it for party games and the such when I've people over.

There's a chance I might have it.

... can I have your stuff?

I'd highly recommend the Shield. I've had a few different Android boxes over the last few years, at different price ranges and the shield is by far the best in terms of interface and also power. Most of the cheaper boxes run a basic version of Android mobile with a crappy skin on it and some apps don't like it as they may run in mobile mode or tablet mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Nvidia Shield TV review: the best Android TV box with brilliant AI upscaling

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/feb/26/nvidia-shield-tv-review-the-best-android-tv-box-with-brilliant-ai-upscaling?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Seems like it's a savage piece of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just got notification that my holiday flights are cancelled. Ryanair between France and Croatia. Who would have decided that? Presumably flights to Ireland will be cancelled as well.

What is the fuxking point of working all year round like a twat if you can't even go for a break.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Just got notification that my holiday flights are cancelled. Ryanair between France and Croatia. Who would have decided that? Presumably flights to Ireland will be cancelled as well.

What is the fuxking point of working all year round like a twat if you can't even go for a break.

Ryanair I reckon

I'm due a bonus soon and was looking forward to a break away but in limbo now as if I travel anywhere that develop vivid 19 cases I have to self isolate for two weeks and work from home which will cause me to go nuts

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

In SF for the week and our office here is shut today to iron out any issues resulting from everyone working from home. The rest of my team were supposed to stay a week longer, but are getting shipped back to Dublin tomorrow instead. We'll most likely be asked to self quarantine for 2 weeks upon our return to Dublin. No bloody craic.

Sad to see Tom Hanks taking a paycheck like this. There has been a run of these made for TV, borderline propaganda military 'event' movies lately.

Embarrassing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That.......does not look very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Sad to see Tom Hanks taking a paycheck like this. There has been a run of these made for TV, borderline propaganda military 'event' movies lately

This sort of stuff has been the cornerstone of his career for about 25 years. I'd imagine you'd be hard pushed to find another A lister who has done as many historical or "based on a true story" productions as he has. Between television and cinema, he must have beeb involved in about a dozen productions against the backdrop of WW2 or the Cold War.

Hanks wrote it. A combination of Saving Private Ryan and Captain Philips it'd seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Does he get to land a plane on a river in it as well?

I'm a bit surprised Cheltenham has gone ahead. 15000 were due to travel, I gather a lot less have.

• Advertisement

A friend of mine is on a school board for a large enough Dublin primary school and texted this morning to say they've finalised a plan to close schools for 5 weeks starting imminently. They said it applies to all of Dublin but not sure about elsewhere.

Have subsequently seen this pop up in social media.

Given just how bad things are getting in Italy I think it's a smart enough move but it's going to kill economic activity for the next two months.

I am going through a mortgage application right now.

Any of you have any thoughts on how all of this might impact housing and whether there is a strategy to get the best out of it?

Mortgage interest rates are at all time lows, but the market might be about to go all over the place between the election and the economy.

I'm a bit surprised Cheltenham has gone ahead. 15000 were due to travel, I gather a lot less have.

My auld lad went over despite my ma telling him he was nuts. Apparently still a fair few gone over. Was convinced it was going to be called off, especially considering there was three cases in Gloucestershire alone.

I am going through a mortgage application right now.

Any of you have any thoughts on how all of this might impact housing and whether there is a strategy to get the best out of it?

Mortgage interest rates are at all time lows, but the market might be about to go all over the place between the election and the economy.

Hard to know - are you applying to see what your borrowing capacity is or do you have a property in mind?

The 2008 crash had a huge impact on property prices and whilst there were increased lending restrictions it was still a far better climate to buy in post crash.

Personally I'd wait this out before doing anything as significant as purchasing a home.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you're only applying for a mortgage now it'll be many months before you realistically buy something anyway.

If you're in a secure enough job, and you're looking at houses you plan on living in for a long time (none of this starter home stuff), then I'd proceed tbh.

Hard to know - are you applying to see what your borrowing capacity is or do you have a property in mind?

The 2008 crash had a huge impact on property prices and whilst there were increased lending restrictions it was still a far better climate to buy in post crash.

Personally I'd wait this out before doing anything as significant as purchasing a home.

Yeah just applying to get the approval in principle. My parents ended up in negative equity in the 80s and my brother in law got badly stung by buying in Roscommon in 2008. So plenty of lessons of the financial precariousness of property.

But also curious as to whether the system can be gamed. Should I lock in approval in principle right now while the rates are amazing, but hold off buying until it has expired in the hopes prices drop... For example.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yeah just applying to get the approval in principle. My parents ended up in negative equity in the 80s and my brother in law got badly stung by buying in Roscommon in 2008. So plenty of lessons of the financial precariousness of property.

But also curious as to whether the system can be gamed. Should I lock in approval in principle right now while the rates are amazing, but hold off buying until it has expired in the hopes prices drop... For example.

Approval in Principle doesn't lock in rates.

youre approval will not last forever.. usually 6 months
    so that doesn't give you much leeway to wait to buy.

the conveyancing procedure is slow enough anyway. i know people who have had to go back again for approval a second due to the length of time the actual sales process took.

Fair enough!

Continue on as normal for now so.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Was a bonkers decision to let it go ahead

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

steves2 wrote: »
    Was a bonkers decision to let it go ahead

Watching it on tv the size of the crowds was insane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

They died Venjur and couldn’t make it.

#yourapocalyptyictheoriesarecorrect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

This is bloody terrifying. Less than 3 weeks ago Italy had similar no. of cases as we now have. Read this thread from an Italian hospital doctor.

https://twitter.com/jasonvanschoor/status/1237142891077697538?s=07

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Seems a good few England players attended including Jamie George. Seems a daft idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Zzippy wrote: »
    This is bloody terrifying. Less than 3 weeks ago Italy had similar no. of cases as we now have. Read this thread from an Italian hospital doctor.

https://twitter.com/jasonvanschoor/status/1237142891077697538?s=07

When Italy had in and around our number of cases (34), cases were increasing much faster than the are currently in Ireland.

Feb 21: 20
    Feb 22: 79
    Feb 23: 150

Hospitals in badly affected regions are indeed getting rammed right now, and very difficult cost/benefit decisions are being made.

But Ireland is not there yet, and we can still hold this one down if we're smart.

Italy had a mental infection rate, and currently having a similar mortality rate.

I think the comparisons will stop fairly soon as we start to see the numbers continuously published by the HSE (whether these are accurate in terms of testing etc is a different scenario), but I think if you look at other countries, like France, England, Spain etc, the spread is nowhere near the same pandemic levels of Italy yet it's always the one trotted out.

Don't get me wrong I think the government does need to step things up and start to implement measures geared more towards the delay phase rather than containment, but I would honestly be surprised if we come close to Italy levels, mostly due to population median age difference and also on a cultural level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Italy had a mental infection rate, and currently having a similar mortality rate.

I think the comparisons will stop fairly soon as we start to see the numbers continuously published by the HSE (whether these are accurate in terms of testing etc is a different scenario), but I think if you look at other countries, like France, England, Spain etc, the spread is nowhere near the same pandemic levels of Italy yet it's always the one trotted out.

Don't get me wrong I think the government does need to step things up and start to implement measures geared more towards the delay phase rather than containment, but I would honestly be surprised if we come close to Italy levels, mostly due to population median age difference and also on a cultural level.
    Italy had quite unique problems. Firstly a lot of travel between Northern Italy and China due to the large textile industry. Secondly, they were slow identifying patients. There was one case who didn;t get diagnose until his third visit to the hospital in five days. And they were only asking if people had been to China instead of checking contacts with people who had been to China. So the exponential growth was due in large part to it going unchecked for a considerable length of time.

I love your optimism lads, and I hope you're proved right. Unfortunately I think that optimism is misplaced. We have virtually zero spare capacity in our hospital system, especially in intensive care. Even if we don't get the numbers Italy has, our health service cannot cope with that kind of demand.

I love your optimism lads, and I hope you're proved right. Unfortunately I think that optimism is misplaced. We have virtually zero spare capacity in our hospital system, especially in intensive care. Even if we don't get the numbers Italy has, our health service cannot cope with that kind of demand.
    Well aware. And what's more shocking is that we have more per head of population than the UK. In Italy they re-tasked operating theatres as ICUs. We would probably have to do the same.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well aware. And what's more shocking is that we have more per head of population than the UK. In Italy they re-tasked operating theatres as ICUs. We would probably have to do the same.

We are already reopening unused facilities

Also companies like the one I work in and others have strict protocols in place requiring self isolation if you so much as have a sniffles

Ten people I know of are undergoing that that's 30 less cases

First case confirmed at Cheltenham. They should close it now.

• Advertisement

First case confirmed at Cheltenham. They should close it now.

Cheltenham had a confirmed case days ago

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Cheltenham had a confirmed case days ago
    Yesterday is what I saw.

Yesterday is what I saw.

March 8th.

Two days ago but that's just splitting hairs :)

Stheno wrote: »

Who's going to staff them???

Whoever is least sick...

I would hope our lower population density, the fact that we're an Island and the advance warning of just how bad this is (Italy) will help our infection curve look more like South Korea than Milan.

We're a pretty compliant population, we dealt with 2008 financial crises better than most countries and our reaction to foot and mouth was pretty thorough.

This government despite recent polling has managed a crises reasonably well before and I take some solace in the current Taoiseach being a doctor.

I'm happy with how we've reacted so far, we can't burn the economy and shut everything down as paying for the level of care the population is going to need isn't free and we have to take a medium to long term view of recovery whilst dealing with the immediate crises. In addition to that closing schools has a knock on effect of impacting healthcare workers and nurses in particular.

I'm not an expert, I don't know if we could be doing more but I'm hopeful we've done just enough to stave off the worst.

If what is happening in Italy is replicated world wide it's going to be a very bad year however. America in particular looks like it's headed for a complete catastrophe and with the underlying political tension it could get quite ugly.

Stheno wrote: »

Also companies like the one I work in and others have strict protocols in place requiring self isolation if you so much as have a sniffles

Ten people I know of are undergoing that that's 30 less cases

We've closed all of our offices worldwide. Thought it was a tad over the top a few days ago, now pretty thankful.

By cancelling elective surgeries, you free up staff and beds.

Not sure if people heard this, but Nadine Dorries; junior health minister has tested positive. But what's worse is the stupid woman went to a reception in 10 Downing street while symptomatic and then held a clinic the following day. Before eventually seeking medical help and getting tested.

I'll tell you one thing, I genuinely don't think I've ever touched my face as often without even thinking about it since they told us not to do it. Almost like it's constantly itchy.

• Advertisement

Not sure if people heard this, but Nadine Dorries; junior health minister has tested positive. But what's worse is the stupid woman went to a reception in 10 Downing street while symptomatic and then held a clinic the following day. Before eventually seeking medical help and getting tested.
    something something taking it on the chin...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement