Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Didn't want to go to the states anyway...

Have you been overseas lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Didn't want to go to the states anyway...

Ireland and the UK not included in the ban.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Anyone have any ideas on how many tests we're doing, currently?

South Korea are one of the few countries that seem to be stemming the tide. This tweet details what they're doing. Free testing, open to all. The drive-thru testing is a good idea, would like to see similar introduced here.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1237992858587725824

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Have you been overseas lately?

Given how much I used to travel - not in a surprisingly long time
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    Ireland and the UK not included in the ban.

Yeah it was a completely botched press release, they've already had to row back on the goods ban so who knows if this is even policy. No embassies had been told and the US state department seem to be in the dark also. Lunacy. This is a far greater crisis to the US than 9/11 and they have a child running the show.

Incidentally the two countries with Trump golf courses are still allowed travel. I would be will to be money that is why it doesn't apply to Ireland / UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Weird to see half of Europe's ministers melting down about the UK getting special treatment because they're not in the EU.

Hey lads, don't forget us pls.

Very good read:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

It suggests official cases will continue to grow exponentially up to 12 days after lockdown, as existing case symptoms get stronger.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Stepdaughters were meant to go to NY last November, the airline went bust. Rescheduled for Christmas, their grandfather died. Rescheduled for Easter... that's gonna be a no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Schools closed. Shit just got real for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Zzippy wrote: »

Yup. We'll where it goes now. Sensible move and a soft landing with it coming into a bank holiday(ish) weekend. Basically for 2 weeks.

Will be a bit of a juggling act as I can't really work from home every day but we'll manage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

And now Three's network is imploding.

Buer wrote: »
    Yup. We'll where it goes now. Sensible move and a soft landing with it coming into a bank holiday(ish) weekend. Basically for 2 weeks.

Will be a bit of a juggling act as I can't really work from home every day but we'll manage.

I had 2 of the next 3 weeks booked off anyway, will just take the week in between off I think. Will probably have the kids at home anyway so no chance of getting any work done.

It seems like we're making moves before Italy did? Tho that could be down to the low number of tests. Anyone any thoughts on that?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

aloooof wrote: »
    It seems like we're making moves before Italy did? Tho that could be down to the low number of tests. Anyone any thoughts on that?

Italy didn't close schools nationwide until it had ~4000 cases and ~100 deaths.

The Government aren't making decisions here in isolation, they are following best practice guidelines from the HSE and WHO. I imagine they were waiting until a certain point to trigger the next stage of containment and this is what that looks like.

I expect there to be further containment steps before we start returning to normality. I've no doubt our cases will spike but hopefully we can manage.

The UK have decided to go the other way and are adopting the '**** it we can't be arsed' approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Donald Trump opens his mouth and causes confusion. Not a new thing. But now with added expense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The Government aren't making decisions here in isolation, they are following best practice guidelines from the HSE and WHO. I imagine they were waiting until a certain point to trigger the next stage of containment and this is what that looks like.

I expect there to be further containment steps before we start returning to normality. I've no doubt our cases will spike but hopefully we can manage.

The UK have decided to go the other way and are adopting the '**** it we can't be arsed' approach.

The UK’s approach is based on the inevitability of infection. They are accepting the fact a large portion of the population will get infected no matter what. They are using behavioral science and mathematicians to try make it peak in the middle of summer. It’s a gamble that could back fire badly if our approach works better.

stephen_n wrote: »
    The UK’s approach is based on the inevitability of infection. They are accepting the fact a large portion of the population will get infected no matter what. They are using behavioral science and mathematicians to try make it peak in the middle of summer. It’s a gamble that could back fire badly if our approach works better.

Apparently Dominic Cummings and his team of behavioural scientists are dictating this policy, which is raising criticism that the government is ignoring actual scientific advice from medical experts. It's a dangerous path to tread...

Apparently Dominic Cummings and his team of behavioural scientists are dictating this policy, which is raising criticism that the government is ignoring actual scientific advice from medical experts. It's a dangerous path to tread...

Begs the question what implication this will have for us with the North? Or are each country within the UK following their own plans?

dregin wrote: »
    And now Three's network is imploding.

Power issue at their data centre.

Doesn't help with the doom merchants' assessments that we're in the grip of a zombie apocalypse.

Begs the question what implication this will have for us with the North? Or are each country within the UK following their own plans?
    Nicola Sturgeon is apparently considering a ban on all public gatherings of more than 500 people, so Scotland looks like following their own path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Didn't they hire someone interested in Eugenics some time ago.

OldRio wrote: »
    Didn't they hire someone interested in Eugenics some time ago.

They did, but there was an outcry over his previous remarks and they had to let him go, before he'd even started I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Thought to myself earlier, I'll do my weekly shop at lunchtime, it'll be nice and quiet.

That was a mistake. The announcement this morning means everyone is panic buying. Aldi, Lidl, Tesco and Super Valu all absolutely mobbed, queues for 40+ minutes for the tills. Absolute jokeshop.

Thought to myself earlier, I'll do my weekly shop at lunchtime, it'll be nice and quiet.

That was a mistake. The announcement this morning means everyone is panic buying. Aldi, Lidl, Tesco and Super Valu all absolutely mobbed, queues for 40+ minutes for the tills. Absolute jokeshop.
    I did mine this morning. On the same basis. Wasn't rammed but far busier than I'd expected. No panic though, plenty of loo roll. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I stocked up gradually over the past couple of weeks

The oh laughed at me at the time

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I did mine this morning. On the same basis. Wasn't rammed but far busier than I'd expected. No panic though, plenty of loo roll. :)

I didn't need loo roll, but it was mostly gone where I was. They had a sign up saying they would only sell 2 packs per customer. Bags of potatoes were flying out, and pasta was more or less gone.

I mean I did a bit of bunker buying a month or so ago, just in case I had to self isolate so it doesn't bother me in the slightest but people are going nuts. Is everyone just that woefully un-prepared?
    Stheno wrote: »

Mine did too. She thanked me for it today though.

I stocked up gradually over the past couple of weeks

I'm gonna do my shop early next week when this madness dies down. Am I stupid to think we won't run out of food?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

How much toilet paper do people get through!?!?
    I'm gonna do my shop early next week when this madness dies down. Am I stupid to think we won't run out of food?

They won't run out of food. There is absolutely no indication there is any risk of it at all.

We won't run out of food.

I mean I did a bit of bunker buying a month or so ago, just in case I had to self isolate so it doesn't bother me in the slightest but people are going nuts. Is everyone just that woefully un-prepared?

No. People are a) crazy or b) actually enjoying the drama and going with it for fun and social media likes.

There's no indication there will be a shortage of supply of groceries. The problem will be short term issues caused by people completely overstocking and hoarding of basic items. Tesco in Clarehall was shut down earlier due to H&S issues. Queues out of the shopping centre apparently. At Tesco in Airside, cars were being jammed up on the side of the road outside to get in and panic buy.

We've some things to get. I'll pop in tomorrow morning at 7am. Whatever is there, is there.

• Advertisement

I think a lot of people are taking the advice to minimise social interaction and stay away from other people for a while, that includes supermarkets. Having enough food to last a week or two without having to go to the shop is a natural follow-on from that. It's an understandable reaction. This probably snuck up on a lot of people, hence all doing it at once. We've already got plenty in over the last couple of weeks and I plan to stay home as much as possible for the next couple of weeks. Hopefully the weather improves and we can get out with the kids for walks and I can do some work in the garden, otherwise cabin fever is going to be pretty oppressive!

If peopole wanted to minimise interaction, they'd just do click and collect which is far more straightforward and sensible. Clarehall which is possibly the biggest Tesco I know, has the shutters down and is operating a one in, one out policy at the moment. It's insanity.

This isn't having enough food to last a week or two. People are buying a month's worth of toilet paper or pasta. They're behaving as if they won't see the light of day until May.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No we wont run out of food

No we wont run out of food

I don't mean to belittle your foresight. I'd prefer I had tins of food just in case. I've only myself to take care so not a big deal.

I don't mean to belittle your foresight. I'd prefer I had tins of food just in case. I've only myself to take care so not a big deal.

Ah sorry didn't take it that way at all

Just get to the shop early one of the next few days and you'll be fine

Buer wrote: »
    If peopole wanted to minimise interaction, they'd just do click and collect which is far more straightforward and sensible. Clarehall which is possibly the biggest Tesco I know, has the shutters down and is operating a one in, one out policy at the moment. It's insanity.

This isn't having enough food to last a week or two. People are buying a month's worth of toilet paper or pasta. They're behaving as if they won't see the light of day until May.

Yeah, that is crazy. But I did hear there was a backlog of delivery slots for click-and-collect, so that service is already out for a lot of people. And it's not an option for a lot of people in rural areas, who don't live anywhere near a Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

We won't run out of food.

The only concern is that retail staff refuse to show up.

The only concern is that retail staff refuse to show up.

I say we eat Buer first.

I say we eat Buer first.

Psst...the best meat is in the rump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I say we eat Buer first.

No pashun, he'll be too tough. :(

I'm supposed to start a new job on April 6th. I have handed in my notice with the old place etc. Pretty worried that my start date could be moved or changed, hopefully this is unfounded but has me quite worried with everything going on. The company I'm moving to have effectively closed their offices at the moment.

I'm supposed to start a new job on April 6th. I have handed in my notice with the old place etc. Pretty worried that my start date could be moved or changed, hopefully this is unfounded but has me quite worried with everything going on. The company I'm moving to have effectively closed their offices at the moment.

Have you signed a contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If you've signed a contract and there's a specified start date on it they'd be making an awful mess for themselves if they try and delay your start date without agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Nearly exact situation as yourself IO. My signed contract start date is next week but have been reassured prior to today's news that the date is still a runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yeah people are stupid. Went down to tesco last night for a few bits and pieces to get us to the weekend and for my lunch today.
    8.30 last night and it's armageddon there. Shopping trolleys full to bursting with food....why? The world isn't going to end. A lady with a shopping trolley full of bleach and cleaning products...good luck using all that.

Went into lidl to pass 10 minutes this afternoon and it was the same there. Shelves empty and people practically putting anything and everything into their trolleys!!

Don't panic and continue as normal means fcuk all to these people. Who needs 100 rolls of toilet paper? Unless you're running a b+b or you live in a house full of women you need a large dose of cop on.

• Advertisement

Have you signed a contract?
    If you've signed a contract and there's a specified start date on it they'd be making an awful mess for themselves if they try and delay your start date without agreement.

I have yeah. Signed the new contract before I quit my current job of course.

The contract is worthless to be honest, they can let you go day 1 as you are on probation.

Speak to them, make sure that there is no risk to your role and if there is ask them to give you plenty of notice.

It is beyond me how the American people suffer this simpleton. And it's not just his substantial stupidity - he's intensely mean spirited. There is absolutely nothing redemptive about him. He happily uses a genuine world health crisis (which he has completely reneged his responsibility on) to further his racist, hard-right anti immigration agenda.

https://twitter.com/NewstalkFM/status/1238198998802010112?s=20

The contract is worthless to be honest, they can let you go day 1 as you are on probation.

Speak to them, make sure that there is no risk to your role and if there is ask them to give you plenty of notice.

Agree unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It is beyond me how the American people suffer this simpleton. And it's not just his substantial stupidity - he's intensely mean spirited. There is absolutely nothing redemptive about him. He happily uses a genuine world health crisis (which he has completely reneged his responsibility on) to further his racist, hard-right anti immigration agenda.

https://twitter.com/NewstalkFM/status/1238198998802010112?s=20

Things in the U.S. are going to get terrifyingly bad. I read a projection yesterday that 1.6m Americans will die (assuming 50% contraction and 1% mortality).

They had no testing, didn’t identify focal outbreaks, didn’t quarantine entire cities early and it's now diffuse. The whole country is the cruise ship. The numbers just aren't yet in the public.

Europe will soon be reversing this travel ban.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement