Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

When your half Italian half Croatian female neighbour runs over to give you a hug after spotting me leaving out the bin.
    Caught me completely unaware and I kind of tried to move away without telling her to fcuk off.
    She's there with "I can't live like this...I need to see how everyone is"

Send them a message on the group WhatsApp and ask them.

Ardal O'Hanlon put it better years ago...."feckin Europeans can't even say hello without trying to fondle your genitals".

mfceiling wrote: »
    When your half Italian half Croatian female neighbour runs over to give you a hug after spotting me leaving out the bin.
    Caught me completely unaware and I kind of tried to move away without telling her to fcuk off.

Ardal O'Hanlon put it better years ago...."feckin Europeans can't even say hello without trying to fondle your genitals".

Say a prayer for Marler in this trying time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Well she might not be living like this much longer if she keeps that sh*te up.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Hey lads,

Just checking in.

Over in Devon/Cornwall things been a bit mad but there's also some nice stories of people looking out for eachother, local taxi firms doing free rides for the eldery/vulnerable to supermarkets etc.

Hope everyone keeps safe during all this but also don't lose the run of yourselves!

Look forward to going back reading Dave K/Zebo debates when it all blows over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Is she hot though? This could be the Corona version of the chewing gum ad, where the guy kisses the hot zombie :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

errlloyd wrote: »
    On chicken pox - it is not mild in adults and would be fatal in a significant percentage of elderly people. It is mild for children, and in this country Pox Parties are still popular. We allow toddlers and young children to get it because it is mild in them, and once they get it once they can't get it again when they're older. Edit - I didn't actually read that Pox Parties wiki article, just posted it. Makes me look like an anti vaxxer. Strongly in favour of vaccinating kids instead of just exposing them!

Seasonal flu was a bad example, because we actually vaccinate different strains of it every year. But Measles is a better example.

You can get chicken pox again. My kid has had it twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You can get chicken pox again. My kid has had it twice.

That's incredibly rare though. If Covid-19 only recurs at the same frequency as chicken pox, we'll manage.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Is she hot though?

Yes....yes she is.

Yes....yes she is.

Worth the risk so! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Some interesting stats along with today's numbers.

12 people of the 683 diagnosed to date who went into intensive care, and 32% of those infected were hospitalised. 114 cases were healthcare workers.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Are the hospitalisation stats skewed by the fact that initially every single case was hospitalised?

awec wrote: »
    Are the hospitalisation stats skewed by the fact that initially every single case was hospitalised?

More than likely, would be interesting to see the breakdown after drive-thru testing and home testing was brought in.

awec wrote: »

Yes. A couple more weeks when only people who need hospital care are admitted will give a more accurate picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Read online that Israel sent Mossad out on a secret mission to get virus testing packs. Essentially a Covid operation i suppose.

2 lads I work with getting the test done at the start of next week.
    One is quite asthmatic and the other lad lives on bulmers, cocaine and weetabix.

Not sure which one of them is going to fare better.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

One is quite asthmatic and the other lad lives on bulmers, cocaine and weetabix.

Are you worried they might have passed it to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Can idiocy be deemed an underlying condition??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Bulmers....cocaine.....and Weetabix.......can we just all take a second....and acknowledge this man for the hero he is!!

In other news.... Ryanair finally cancelled my flight to Barcelona in 2 weeks time....all mainland Europe flights to go be cancelled in the coming days

Can idiocy be deemed an underlying condition??

Bit bad to call a lad with asthma an idiot.

The other fella seems like my kind of guy.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you worried they might have passed it to you?

I'm not sure how I feel. I could have gotten it at the shop, from my wife or any other number of people.
    We're doing pretty well with the self isolation but being self employed and having taken 8 weeks off at Christmas I kinda needed to be back at work.
    Fortunately they are very small jobs with only a few lads on site and we are not in close proximity.
    Today I was on a job on my own and I doubt there will be anyone there tomorrow either.
    I'm kind of resigned to getting it in some form and hopefully it will be mild and pass quickly but who knows?

These videos will haunt Trump's re-election campaign. He will be hoping they don't ahem go viral.

I'm not sure how I feel.

Well... do you feel flu-ey??? :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

It's times like this that I wish there was a decent rugby game I could play online. I've been stuck to Championship Manager 97/98 running in dosbox on the phone. Such a classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

dregin wrote: »
    It's times like this that I wish there was a decent rugby game I could play online. I've been stuck to Championship Manager 97/98 running in dosbox on the phone. Such a classic.

Well someone has to write one!

Lads if you have the cabin fever and are running out of stuff to watch or listen to then check out 'the nobody zone' podcast.
    It's an rte programme about a homeless irish lad in london in the 70's who had a tendency to kill people!!

It's a 6 part series and the final part is next Tuesday.

Just don't listen to it with headphones on when it's dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

dregin wrote: »

Back in the day I had the whole Harchester United Dream Team recreated in that game using the editor.

NFL free agency is the shining light in the lack of sports.

Tom Brady gone to the Bucs, Philip Rivers gone to the Colts, Hopkins traded for a second round pick and a washed up running back, Melvin Gordon turning down the Chargers offer last year to move to a division rival this year for less money, Rams cutting Todd Gurley and then the Falcons signing him despite the fact he basically has no cartilage in his knee, Diggs going to the Bills.

Absolutely wild.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

NFL free agency is the shining light in the lack of sports.

Tom Brady gone to the Bucs, Philip Rivers gone to the Colts, Hopkins traded for a second round pick and a washed up running back, Melvin Gordon turning down the Chargers offer last year to move to a division rival this year for less money, Rams cutting Todd Gurley and then the Falcons signing him despite the fact he basically has no cartilage in his knee, Diggs going to the Bills.

Absolutely wild.

I do not for the slightest second understand the Hopkins trade. Seems like an absolutely appalling deal for the Texans.

Think Brady will crash and burn in Tampa...

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I do not for the slightest second understand the Hopkins trade. Seems like an absolutely appalling deal for the Texans.

Think Brady will crash and burn in Tampa...

I can understand Brady's move even less than the Texans. He's currently viewed generally as the greatest of all time. He's going to move to a completely mediocre side (at best) who have 1 winning season in the past 9.

I think people generally accept that he's past his best and is on the decline. I don't see him having a great time there and he's going to be hit. A lot. And it's a 2 year deal which is even more odd, to me.

He's going to give an opportunity to people to say "It was Bellichick, not Brady".

Buer has blessed us

• Advertisement

Irish population 4.7M. 66% between 15 & 64. Infection rate 70 %. Conservative death rate 0.2% for that demographic.

4300 deaths.

Italy lost 700 people today. A whole elderly generation will be just wiped out.

Grim.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Irish population 4.7M. 66% between 15 & 64. Infection rate 70 %. Conservative death rate 0.2% for that demographic.

4300 deaths.

Grim.

That omits the North. I'd expect their inaction to have a fairly heavy impact on infection rates both north and south of the border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    I can understand Brady's move even less than the Texans. He's currently viewed generally as the greatest of all time. He's going to move to a completely mediocre side (at best) who have 1 winning season in the past 9.

I think people generally accept that he's past his best and is on the decline. I don't see him having a great time there and he's going to be hit. A lot. And it's a 2 year deal which is even more odd, to me.

He's going to give an opportunity to people to say "It was Bellichick, not Brady".

Florida is a tax free state. The Buccaneers offense is stacked with one of the best set of receivers in the league and Arians has history of taking a supposed washed QB in Carson Palmer and getting miles out of him. The division will be interesting as Brees looks cooked as well and has signed on for two more years. The Panthers are in flux. The Falcons have been a huge disappointment in recent seasons.

The Texans move is far more bizarre. Trading away a HOF calibre player for a second rounder and a RB past his best and on huge money for the position is insanity. I thought it was a mistake or clickbait when I first saw the transaction. The idea that this was the best offer on the table is hard to believe. Most teams would surely give up a first rounder for Hopkins but obviously I'm wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Don't Brady's family also live in the Caribbean? Much shorter commute.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

4300 deaths.

Grim.
    793 today

Over 1400 in two days

Only good news is the increase in new cases is dropping

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Don't Brady's family also live in the Caribbean? Much shorter commute.

Nah they were living in Massachusetts. I'd say it's more moving the entire family to a tax-free state for his final contract combined with not having to play in Foxborough in the winter.

4300 deaths.

Grim.

That is correct if the average holds true, but at a 15% admission rate (which is from an early HSS model), they’ll be pushing half a million bed days at the expected infection rate and no one knows if those beds will be available when they’re needed or what would happen to the mortality rate if they’re now. Jesus I hope they are.

UK government in turmoil and Cummings looks to be on the way out. Significant % of the UK population still totally disregarding the threat.

At what stage do we bluntly start telling people in NI to ignore Westminster and lock down themselves?

Felt that Leo hinted their way in his speech but if our starts to flatten our biggest risk could come from an explosion of cases in the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

UK government in turmoil and Cummings looks to be on the way out. Significant % of the UK population still totally disregarding the threat.

At what stage do we bluntly start telling people in NI to ignore Westminster and lock down themselves?

Felt that Leo hinted their way in his speech but if our starts to flatten our biggest risk could come from an explosion of cases in the North.

Like Trump, I'll believe it when I see it.

Just an aside but isn't the advice from Westminster more or less in line with Ireland now? More that they took a while to get there and now people are basically ignoring it.

There's very little reason to believe us saying anything to NI would prompt a cooperative or beneficial response. Police had to break up a gathering of 300 youths celebrating end of school yesterday. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence of people in NI taking a very lax approach to the whole thing.

It's also going to be difficult for us to preach a lockdown to anyone when we're not doing anything like it ourselves. Yes, we're getting better but there's flagrant examples of people ignoring the government instructions every time you set foot outside the door. Businesses remain open, many supermarkets are still allowing free access, the images from Glendalough yesterday were laughable.

Westminster made a balls of it but they're trying to correct things. Unfortunately, their mixed messages and initial cavalier response has done a huge amount of damage in terms of how the public now perceive the threat i.e. It's not a threat.

• Advertisement

Hard to tell NI to lockdown when Ireland hasn't done it. The current advice is just social distancing as much as possible, but there's plenty of people flagrantly ignoring it down south too. You just have to look at how busy supermarkets are with minimal social distancing being practiced, and beaches/other nature spots busier than ever with people trying to get out of the house. Plenty of retail stores still open too despite not offering essential services, and I do understand that businesses need to survive during this period but we're far from lockdown at the moment.

If we do go in to lockdown, I'd imagine there'll be some form of gardai presence on busy border roads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Stheno wrote: »
    793 today

Over 1400 in two days

Only good news is the increase in new cases is dropping

I didn’t think new cases had dropped in Italy? 6,500 new cases yesterday, I thought, their highest figure to date.

I did see tentative suggestions they were around 2 weeks from their peak. If that’s the case, it’s going to get even worse before it gets better.

People are fools! It's like at the time of Noah "just a few drops of rain" at the start...

There is a lag time for the virus. Assuming 30 % daily increase in NI, starting with 10 cases on the first day.

After 1 week: 50 cases
    2 weeks: 300 cases
    3 weeks: 1900 cases - people start to take notice, but it's too late to influence week 4
    4 weeks: 12'000 cases

12'000 cases. Two-thirds in the 15 to 64 age age group, death rate 0.2 % = 16 deaths

5 weeks: 75'000 cases. 99 deaths in the "not at risk" group.

TBH I don't think death will be the main problem for the young group, it will be economic holocaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Went for a walk yesterday to try get some exercise, avoiding people as much as possible. Most people were doing similar but some just seemed oblivious and acting as normal. Walked back up Grafton Street on the way home. About 90% of businesses closed. Phone shops all remained open, as did Claire’s, JD Sports and Molton Brown. Marks and Spencer’s was the only large shop open and not just the food hall. Amazingly Captain America’s was open, which really shocked me. Went shopping in Aldi and they had a line outside with 2m distancing, only allowing a certain amount of people into the shop at a time. They also had 2m distances marked out at the tills too.

I went out for a run last night at 7:00 and my estate was a ghost estate. Anytime I've been out people are keeping their distance and anecdotally I would say that compliance is pretty good. I also think we've enough people taking this seriously that the minority are feeling enough pressure that they are getting in line.

No doubt some people are taking higher level risks and no doubt some idiots and younger people are taking no heed but overall I think our response has been well above average.

The total absence of leadership in the UK and the DUP not wanting to show any divergence from the attitude pervasive in London is going to be a problem however. A Tory MP was on Channel 4 promoting conspiracy thinking earlier in the week, suggesting that covid19 has been doing the rounds for a while and isn't that severe. This is what happens when you purge all the grown ups and dissenters from your party.

I have a house full of Brazilians living next door to me and they've taken to having nightly house parties. Aside from the noise, they obviously don't give a ****. It's infuriating.

Photos from Glendalough carpark earlier today and Howth

eeNfY5N_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
    ByC4t2a_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Gardai had to shut down the upper carpark in Glendalough and both sides of Sally's Gap, as well as the carparks in Slieve Bloom and Glenbarrow because there was too many people.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1241750806816227331?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Morons. Exact same here, live on a big park and it's busier than I've ever seen it bar when they've hosted massive music events. Massive groups of people meeting up and going about.

I think we'll have a full lockdown soon due to the most irresponsible

• Advertisement

I think we'll have a full lockdown soon due to the most irresponsible

It'll have to be done at this rate if this is how people are interpreting social distancing and self isolation. And that's when the economy really starts to take a dip because people aren't allowed to leave their houses other than essential trips and walking dogs etc.

Plenty of posts on social media of people using hashtags for social distancing and stuff but meeting up with friends in parks and other public places.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement