Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Wow. I'm impressed with how many of you are getting into the healthy side of this lockdown with regular walks/runs, eating healthy, good sleep and no alcohol.

I've gone the other way - staying up later (no commute so I get to sleep in), constantly grazing on all the food in the house, the gym and pool are shut so no exercise (I hate walking/running) and a drastic increase in my alcohol intake. I'm loving this lockdown :D Apart from the lack of live sport :mad: I think the 19 in Covid19 refers to how many kilos I'm going to put on before it is all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Did they really have to close the golf courses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Synode wrote: »
    Did they really have to close the golf courses

I think the problem is that we can't let anyone have any fun, because people will see pictures of it on social media and want to have fun themselves.

It's the same with the beaches and the parks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Wow. I'm impressed with how many of you are getting into the healthy side of this lockdown with regular walks/runs, eating healthy, good sleep and no alcohol.

I've gone the other way - staying up later (no commute so I get to sleep in), constantly grazing on all the food in the house, the gym and pool are shut so no exercise (I hate walking/running) and a drastic increase in my alcohol intake. I'm loving this lockdown :D Apart from the lack of live sport :mad: I think the 19 in Covid19 refers to how many kilos I'm going to put on before it is all over.

*internet high 5*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There’s absolutely nothing irrational about feeling anxious at the moment. In fact it would be more irrational not to be, as we are faced with a genuine reason to be afraid, an existential threat. Pretty much what our stress response was designed for, keeping us alive. Problem being it wasn’t designed to deal with a neocortex that can figure out hundreds of different possibilities at one time, each creating it’s own physiological response in our bodies. Depositing stress hormones that leave us predisposed to being anxious and have a heightened sense of awareness. That’s why now more than ever we need to have the ability to stay in the present, to keep away from those thoughts about what if and maybe. These are some of the resources I would use in work, some of you may find them useful now.

Some information on mindfulness http://www.freemindfulness.org/download

Also meditation might help with your sleep and generally with the unwanted thoughts, this app may help.

https://www.headspace.com/headspace-meditation-app

Also if you are having difficulty sleeping progressive muscle relaxation can help, there are guided versions on YouTube. The process and other relaxation techniques are covered in this article.

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/stress/relaxation-techniques-for-stress-relief.htm?pdf=11830

Here are some more links and podcasts relating to meditation and mindfulness practices.

https://meditationstudioapp.com/untangle

https://www.tarabrach.com/guided-meditations/

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/meditation-minis-podcast/id963597166?mt=2

Body Scanning is a useful tool to help focus yourself on the present, especially if you are feeling overwhelmed by stress.
    https://www.verywellmind.com/body-scan-meditation-why-and-how-3144782

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This is an excellent guide. Thanks very much.

Sounds like the hospitals are starting to come under pressure. Lot of sick healthcare workers which is extremely worrying.

America is about to become the epicenter of this disease. The growth rate there is very worrying, I'm beginning to wonder if the reality of this is dawning on the wider population at all, from what I've heard first hand from friends there is a huge amount of denial.

The UK have pulled the 'oh I didn't see the email' on the EU ventilator scheme. This will play great with the brexit crowd and give them fresh red meat for the looming deadlines. I honestly can't see it as anything other than playing with fire however. They are turning their backs on established manufacturers with years of track record and instead investing in well known Brexit campaigner and British industrialist James Dyson and paying him (no doubt substantially) to create, manufacture and distribute millions of ventilators within weeks.

Why would they take a gamble like this. Seems incredibly cavalier given the current stakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

10 dead today. RIP to all of them.

Think this is the start of our 'surge'. Thoughts with all the healthcare staff that are going to be run off their feet while putting themselves in harm's way for the next few weeks/months.

Stay safe folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Zzippy wrote: »
    10 dead today. RIP to all of them.

Think this is the start of our 'surge'. Thoughts with all the healthcare staff that are going to be run off their feet while putting themselves in harm's way for the next few weeks/months.

Stay safe folks!

Nearly 30 garda vehicles involved in chasing down some scumbag joyriding around Glasnevin and finglas about an hour ago.

Think if he is injured in any way he should be just left to rot.

Civil service is shutting down all but essential services as of tomorrow

Its a scary time for a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

BoJo has Covid-19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Neil3030 wrote: »
    BoJo has Covid-19

Fair play to the guy for doing his bit for herd immunity. A leader by example.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Fair play to the guy for doing his bit for herd immunity. A leader by example.

The party leadership is so dishonest, manipulative and sociopathic that when I read he had contracted the virus I found it hard not to wonder was this genuine or some political opportunism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Is it wrong of me to hope that he doesn't die but does get a bad dose and needs a ventilator for a while? It might give him a bit of perspective on his recent management of the crisis...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Zzippy wrote: »
    Is it wrong of me to hope that he doesn't die but does get a bad dose and needs a ventilator for a while? It might give him a bit of perspective on his recent management of the crisis...

As long as it’s an untested Dyson one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The guy who said last week he went around shaking everyone's hand in a hospital(it's grand because he washed dummies) has contracted Covid-19? I'm shocked

Gonna kick the booze for a month. Everything is in place except one crucial piece:

What do I call a booze free month of April? Can't get on board without a catchy name. So far I have AA April

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Gonna kick the booze for a month. Everything is in place except one crucial piece:

What do I call a booze free month of April? Can't get on board without a catchy name. So far I have AA April

Seems like a terrible time to try kick the booze! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Personally I think alcohol is the only thing that's going to get me thru April !?

Aprialysis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Dry January / Arid April?

Tomorrow ill be two weeks off the booze for me. Prior to that it was also two weeks, so we'll see how the next two weeks goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Nearly 30 garda vehicles involved in chasing down some scumbag joyriding around Glasnevin and finglas about an hour ago.

Think if he is injured in any way he should be just left to rot.

Civil service is shutting down all but essential services as of tomorrow

Its a scary time for a lot of people.

That was a fairly big capture for the Garda, wasn't a joyride, was one of the big names that was in the headlines a few months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone have any exciting plans for the weekend?

I'm defo off the beer during lockdown but I barely drink anymore either way. Will have the odd joint to keep me going the next few months but like many others I'm determined to use this quiet spell to spend heaps of time with my kids and get into very good shape. So far so good on both fronts. If the misses wasn't a nurse and people weren't getting sick I'd actually be enjoying this.

Anyone have any exciting plans for the weekend?

I'm going to walk the dog. That's about as exciting as it gets at the moment.

My week at work (of which I'm very grateful to have a job) has been stressful in the sense I'm somewhat paranoid about inadvertenly infecting my usually elderly, fragile at-risk "clients". We currently have 2 such patients with Covid-19, one is 83 and doing just fine, the other is 94 with blood cancer and I am more than little worried for him, even if he admits having had a "good innings".

It is very weird not shaking hands with anyone, guarding distances, and eating 2 at a table, seating diagonally opposite each other.

There are currently 11 patients or so in ICU at my workplace with Covid and, for those who think it is only a disease affecting the frail and elderly, I can tell you that is not always the case (2 patients born in the 1970s).

I will be glad when this era is behind us!

Bon weekend à tous et à toutes, stay well!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Games night tonight.

Scrabble mainly, then cards.... Sevens, rummy, 31, texas.... Might teach them sh!t head....

Never a big drinker anyway but love a glass of wine.... I'll have my vino Verde open while we play. Two hop house 13 bottles in the fridge that I might try either.

I'm actually losing weight during this, as I only ever eat breakfast and dinner, and my choices for both are much healthier these days. Prawn in garlic and herb with rice noodle stir fry for dinner. Homemade soup and fresh soda bread for breakfast.
    Three weeks ago this probably would have been a sausage and rasher roll on my way into work, and a Chinese later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Might teach them sh!t head....

Finally, I find someone that also plays sh*thead. Great game.

Does anyone on here drink?!

Finally, I find someone that also plays sh*thead. Great game.

I started playing it while travelling years ago. The kids love it now. Great game

I have been known to drink the odd bottle of whiskey

Yes. Far too much since this thing started. Giving it up mid week from Monday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have been known to drink the odd bottle of whiskey

In one go?

Stheno wrote: »
    In one go?

Ahem...

Fair play to anyone giving it a rest, just to be clear. Just surprised to see so many people all doing it at once.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm definitely not in the giving it a rest category (more's the pity)... Ordered a case of an Irish craft beer which arrived inside 24 hours the other day so that'll keep me tipping away for a little while.

A few groups of friends have setup poker nights and quiz night's, complete with slagging over Zoom. It's not the same, but it's a nice break from the news and is a bit of craic. Would recommend it, if anyone is looking for a good excuse to catch up with a few mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I am working my way through making an encylopedia of cocktails from around the world

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If anything my social engagements have gone up - have 3 nights this week with some kind of video "party" - be it poker, or just shooting the breeze.

Have very much not given up drinking. For now it has increased but will probably need to keep on eye on that. Exercise still going strong thankfully, but if that gets canned (or severely reduced as in the case of France) I'm in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'm drinking as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

swiwi_ wrote: »
    506815.JPG
    He's in No. 10 Downing Street

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Somehow have two half finished bottles of black Bush that’s ere we’re discovered in a desperate household search

• Advertisement

Somehow have two half finished bottles of black Bush that’s ere we’re discovered in a desperate household search

Judging by the text there you’ve fairly hoed into those bottles already...

I was doing pretty well for the last few days but I'm freaking out a but now.

Had to help my dad in unblocking the sewers in the back garden. It connects with next door which we think is the.cause of the problem. He was doing the work but I was standing with a light shining over it. Am I now at risk? I'm sorry for dumping this on ye but I don't want to burden my parents with my concerns. I know nobody here is a doctor, and this isn't the right place to ask but I'm on bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Clegg wrote: »

Had to help my dad in unblocking the sewers in the back garden. It connects with next door which we think is the.cause of the problem. He was doing the work but I was standing with a light shining over it. Am I now at risk? I'm sorry for dumping this on ye but I don't want to burden my parents with my concerns. I know nobody here is a doctor, and this isn't the right place to ask but I'm on bits.

Nah.

To be infected, firstly your dad would have to have coronavirus. How likely that is depends on how many people he's interacted with the last couple of weeks. If he's been relatively isolated, then it's low risk.

Then he'd have to transfer it to you, either by breathing or coughing on you. Unless you were right up close to him, it's unlikely.

Honestly, the blocked sewer was probably more of a health risk than your dad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

You are from sounds of it catastrophizing. Wouldnt say you're at risk unless your father or contacts hes had have had contacts with someone.
    Ground yourself in the present. If you find yourself stressing about the crisis. Just think about what you are doing in a very simple way. You say unblock the sewer. So this is what I have to do next. I have done this before. I know I cant get this from doing it with your dad. Etc etc.

It's not the contact with my dad, but rather the sewer. Like he was was unblocking a pipe that had filled with toilet paper and whatever else. No direct contact. It was with a metal hanger and rod. I'm more worried about the fumes and stuff. I must sound ridiculous.

It's not the contact with my dad, but rather the sewer. Like he was was unblocking a pipe that had filled with toilet paper and whatever else. No direct contact. It was with a metal hanger and rod. I'm more worried about the fumes and stuff. I must sound ridiculous.

Unless you were smearing the shite and paper on you then you've not a lot to worry about IMO.

Thanks lads. Feels like I'm spiralling a bit. I've been trying the breathing exercises recommended earlier. Will give them another whirl later.

Thanks lads. Feels like I'm spiralling a bit. I've been trying the breathing exercises recommended earlier. Will give them another whirl later.

Get one of those meditation apps for your phone. There's one called Balance which is giving away a year of content for free.

See this thread.

You'll be fine. Apart from the obvious trauma of having seen your neighbours midden. The must be using the good strong multi-ply toilet roll if they're blocking the pipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Its Leo Time again

Fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Two week full lock down begins tonight at 12:00.

Virtually no going out at all for two weeks. Exercise within 2km of home only. Parks will close most likely. No interacting with neighbors.

This is basically a complete lock down. Doesn't impact me much as doing most of it already, can't go to the trails / mountains but had given up on parks anyway as too crowded.

Crazy times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement