Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Listening to Roger waters "amused to death" here..... Quite apt for these times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Stheno wrote: »
    I slept for 18 hours today

AltruisticMildDalmatian-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'm not sure who Paddy Cosgrave is or why he's suddenly all over my twitter feed but he seems like the most insufferable tool on the go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He’s one of the most blockable characters you’ll ever come across

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bazzo wrote: »
    I'm not sure who Paddy Cosgrave is or why he's suddenly all over my twitter feed but he seems like the most insufferable tool on the go

He's the lad who runs the Web Summit. Threw a wobbler and moved it out of Dublin because the government wouldn't provide exclusive transport for his attendees and wouldn't splash out on other infrastructure just for him. Also famously said Trinity degrees are worth more than any other degree when it comes to hiring and if you wanted to work for him you could have a 2.1 from Trinity or else a 1.1 from anywhere else.

He also opened his gob and started spouting off about Ireland's tax regime and then it came out he was using a US company as a tax shelter.

He's absolutely despised in the tech world, and lately has decided he's some sort of political genius. He throws random big words into his tweets which are mainly focused at just criticising everything the government do without offering a sliver of help

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He’s a clown. A party planner who thinks he’s some big tech CEO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He's long been a dose but he's become an absolute parasite. He looked for the personal details of one of the deceased from Covid-19 to make a political point. He should be explaining that to a judge.

He's calling Irish people sheep for their support of the Taoiseach's speeches, apparently you aren't allowed to criticise. Meanwhile he is sharing articles promoting the Chinese system of government. Yes, a country famous for its freedom of speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

507456.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ive been saying it since February, but one of the great injustices of Covid19 is that web summit isn't till November.

• Advertisement

3uihg8.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's been a **** show here. Milk/bread/pasta/rice/eggs totally unavailable for the guts of 2 weeks. People are freezing 10-20l of milk, I know several (slightly dim) people who have bought in one(or two!) chest freezers, ridiculous stuff.

I bought 1 under counter freezer weeks ago to store extra bread and milk and meat

It's just myself and the oh here, all of our neighbours are 70 plus, my family are 90 minutes drive away, so I wanted to make sure if one or both of us got sick that we would be ok for a few weeks, three at a minimum if one of us gets sick and recovers but then the other does

I thought that was sensible not dim

We had very limited capacity to freeze stuff until I bought it

We've also reached out to our neighbours so they have our mobile numbers and we can text them if we are going to the shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's been a **** show here. Milk/bread/pasta/rice/eggs totally unavailable for the guts of 2 weeks. People are freezing 10-20l of milk, I know several (slightly dim) people who have bought in one(or two!) chest freezers, ridiculous stuff.

Where is "here"?

I have only seen temporary shortages of a couple of things and certainly no shortage of bread or milk.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I'm going to walk the dog. That's about as exciting as it gets at the moment.

My week at work (of which I'm very grateful to have a job) has been stressful in the sense I'm somewhat paranoid about inadvertenly infecting my usually elderly, fragile at-risk "clients". We currently have 2 such patients with Covid-19, one is 83 and doing just fine, the other is 94 with blood cancer and I am more than little worried for him, even if he admits having had a "good innings".

It is very weird not shaking hands with anyone, guarding distances, and eating 2 at a table, seating diagonally opposite each other.

There are currently 11 patients or so in ICU at my workplace with Covid and, for those who think it is only a disease affecting the frail and elderly, I can tell you that is not always the case (2 patients born in the 1970s).

I will be glad when this era is behind us!

Bon weekend à tous et à toutes, stay well!

:(

You're a doctor Swiwi? Or at least a healthcare professional? Best of luck with all this, must be very tough.

I bought 1 under counter freezer weeks ago to store extra bread and milk and meat

It's just myself and the oh here, all of our neighbours are 70 plus, my family are 90 minutes drive away, so I wanted to make sure if one or both of us got sick that we would be ok for a few weeks, three at a minimum if one of us gets sick and recovers but then the other does

I thought that was sensible not dim

We had very limited capacity to freeze stuff until I bought it

We've also reached out to our neighbours so they have our mobile numbers and we can text them if we are going to the shop

The people I'm talking about have frozen probably 2-3 months worth of food. There was no limited freezer space beforehand. They also have large support structures in place here, surrounded by family and friends. I'm sorry but it is completely dim, as you yourself pointed out absolute worst case scenario is a couple of weeks in isolation (or going to the hospital where food is no longer a worry).
    Where is "here"?

I have only seen temporary shortages of a couple of things and certainly no shortage of bread or milk.

The UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

In some respects the ShXt show you describe is because people failed to prepare.

I have definitely got a few months worth of food in my house. Most middle class families normally have about a months food between freezers and dry canned goods in presses, allowing for tight meal planning

The panic buying was in part created by people not being given the signals to begin to create reasonable personal stockpiles. Ireland is further down the supply chain on a lot of the goods you mention and yet we are not losing supply. We havent panicked by and large because a lot of us took steps in late Feb. Those steps are likely to have included filling a freezer.

I've no desire to have a shed full of jacks roll. But anyone ,who has a family and isnt financially constrained, that doesnt have a full freezer and cupboards is, to use your words, more than a little dim.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's always hard to know if numbers being reported are realisitic during or directly after the weekend but it's great to see that Italy and Spain are both reporting big drops in new cases today. Death numbers continue to be very high which makes logical sense but, in another week, they might start to see those reduce significantly, I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Buer wrote: »
    It's always hard to know if numbers being reported are realisitic during or directly after the weekend but it's great to see that Italy and Spain are both reporting big drops in new cases today. Death numbers continue to be very high which makes logical sense but, in another week, they might start to see those reduce significantly, I hope.

You can artificially deflate the numbers with a lockdown... but you cannot lock down countries indefinitely...be it 2 weeks..a month..2 months... once you let people intermingle...and allow air traffic etc to start up ..the numbers will increase, and rapidly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

How's everyone doing re mental health? I'm a lot better than I was a week ago. Still jittery during the day, but to a lesser degree. Having some problems sleeping at the minute, but I hope that starting some breath exercises will help on that end.

Live with my folks, so if I could somehow convince my mam to stop going to Aldi every other day for bread then I'd be at ease. The shop has implemented good physical distancing measures, but I still think she's taking an unnecessary risk.

Clegg wrote: »
    How's everyone doing re mental health? I'm a lot better than I was a week ago. Still jittery during the day, but to a lesser degree. Having some problems sleeping at the minute, but I hope that starting some breath exercises will help on that end.

Live with my folks, so if I could somehow convince my mam to stop going to Aldi every other day for bread then I'd be at ease. The shop has implemented good physical distancing measures, but I still think she's taking an unnecessary risk.

012_c9c9cc1a-16ce-40eb-a64c-67e98b8abd80_grande.jpg?v=1538046391

Think you've got your Mother's Day present sorted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Spare a thought for my mate, an NHS psychiatrist, recently tested positive for Covid-19 and currently treating patients over Skype from his spare room, as he self-isolates.

He has to roll back years of therapy with OCD patients, and encourage them to wash their hands more often.
    He has to convince his psychotic patients that the government are not trying to kill them (despite strong evidence to the contrary).
    And he has to convince patients with anxiety disorder that the probability of getting infected remains low, despite coughing violently every 5 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Was my first real day of isolation today. We were in work up to last Friday. Trying to home school a 10 and 12 year old.
    I wouldn't be the most patient of teachers but we got through it.

Just back from walking the dog and to be honest I needed to get out for a break.

Regarding sleep, well if you have kids you'll be asleep before you get into the bed!!

My own mother is the same as yours Clegg. Can't sit in the house at all. Out every day to the supermarket. No reason to be out but won't stay in the f*cking house.

As regards your own mental health I can only say take one day at a time. Each day is one closer to the end game. You're still posting here so keep going!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone else's hands in bits from all the washing? I've got pretty bad dermatitis over the last few days and it's wrecking my head

Anyone else's hands in bits from all the washing? I've got pretty bad dermatitis over the last few days and it's wrecking my head

Yea back of my hands have gone really dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think I actually burned my hands without realising; patches of red, starting to blister a little.

That Nivea cream in the dark blue tin does a job though.

I don't live with them but my dad is the same. Today it's Tesco for milk, tomorrow it's the butcher, next day back to Tesco for bread.

The guy is 70 and I understand that he's going nuts sitting at home all day but the Covid thing just isn't sinking in with him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Glad you're doing a bit better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I run 10k every morning. Working from home but need to get out in morning

mfceiling wrote: »
    Was my first real day of isolation today. We were in work up to last Friday. Trying to home school a 10 and 12 year old.
    I wouldn't be the most patient of teachers but we got through it.

Just back from walking the dog and to be honest I needed to get out for a break.

Regarding sleep, well if you have kids you'll be asleep before you get into the bed!!

My own mother is the same as yours Clegg. Can't sit in the house at all. Out every day to the supermarket. No reason to be out but won't stay in the f*cking house.

As regards your own mental health I can only say take one day at a time. Each day is one closer to the end game. You're still posting here so keep going!!

She works from home and doesn't go out every day for shopping either. But I'd just rather she didn't take the few extra journeys.

And thanks very much! I know everyone is doing as much as they can to stay safe. That's all we can ask for now.

Glad you're doing a bit better :)

Thanks very much!

• Advertisement

She works from home and doesn't go out every day for shopping either. But I'd just rather she didn't take the few extra journeys.

And thanks very much! I know everyone is doing as much as they can to stay safe. That's all we can ask for now.

Could you suggest you go for a walk together instead?

I'm off work now for the best part of three weeks, so the structure of working will have to be replaced with something else

Could you suggest you go for a walk together instead?

I'm off work now for the best part of three weeks, so the structure of working will have to be replaced with something else

I'll certainly try.

Was feeling well enough go browse the main covid thread. It's still a mess of people doubting the numbers and trying to scare others. Going to have to cut that out of my browsing habits entirely.

I'll certainly try.

Was feeling well enough go browse the main covid thread. It's still a mess of people doubting the numbers and trying to scare others. Going to have to cut that out of my browsing habits entirely.

Don't read that forum. It's a mess and not good for anyone's sanity.

There are a number of posters in it who will try and find the absolute worst in everything. The glass is broken, never mind half empty. Low numbers are bad news. High numbers are bad news. Everything is bad news. Why are people even allowed outside? Irish people are too stupid to lockdown. Why didn't we just completely close the entire country down in February? I saw my neighbour go for a walk, we're doomed.

Mute the topic on twitter too.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I run 10k every morning. Working from home but need to get out in morning

This is important. For feeling better and to keep fit. Hoping to start running in the morning soon. Been having difficulties with sleep recently, but if I can get over that I'll be out early.

I'll certainly try.

Ive stopped following the coverage and numbers. That web summit guy stirring up trouble for no reason other then lining his own pockets by the looks of it.

Govt guidelines are fairly straightforward and im abiding by them even tho im itching to get back to the phoenix park for a long run i am staying local.

Trying to shop in my local shop as opposed to the big stores for as .much as i can as the owners have been brilliant for their older customers arranging milk cereal and bread deliveries etc.

awec wrote: »

There are a number of posters in it who will try and find the absolute worst in everything. The glass is broken, never mind half empty. Low numbers are bad news. High numbers are bad news. Everything is bad news. Why are people even allowed outside? Irish people are too stupid to lockdown. Why didn't we just completely close the entire country down in February? I saw my neighbour go for a walk, we're doomed.

Can you imagine what the conspiracy theory for UK m thread on it?

Ive stopped following the coverage and numbers. That web summit guy stirring up trouble for no reason other then lining his own pockets by the looks of it.

Govt guidelines are fairly straightforward and im abiding by them even tho im itching to get back to the phoenix park for a long run i am staying local.

Trying to shop in my local shop as opposed to the big stores for as .much as i can as the owners have been brilliant for their older customers arranging milk cereal and bread deliveries etc.

We (entirely coincidentally) signed up for milk deliveries the week before this all kicked off, which has proven to be incredibly useful!

awec wrote: »

You're absolutely right.

Thanks, Awec.

You're absolutely right.

Thanks, Awec.

On Twitter I ignore anything about it other then the following

Fergal Bowers
    Richard Chambers
    Gavan Reilly
    Simon Harris
    Paul Reid

Nearly Everyone else is just mostly sh1t stirring with an agenda.

• Advertisement

If any good comes of Coronavirus, it may be that people may actually learn to discern proper news sources from the sea of shyte and cnuts.

And we should come out of it very grateful to have RTE and BBC.

On Twitter I ignore anything about it other then the following

Fergal Bowers
    Richard Chambers
    Gavan Reilly
    Simon Harris
    Paul Reid

Nearly Everyone else is just mostly sh1t stirring with an agenda.

Good shout. I follow Bowers and Chambers and they're informative without being sensationalist. Think I'll try to stay off social media for the most part as suggested earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

A buddy of mine who's a guard texted the group chat earlier saying:

"If one more f**ker dressed in Lycra that I stop tells me he's only out for a 2km cycle, I'll throw his €10,000 bike over the f**kin ditch."

Gave me a good giggle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If any good comes of Coronavirus, it may be that people may actually learn to discern proper news sources from the sea of shyte and cnuts.

And we should come out of it very grateful to have RTE and BBC.

That's optimistic. Throughout all of this we've seen plenty of evidence that people are still not getting that message. Too many people dont want to be informed anymore. They want someone to confirm their opinion, no matter how poorly informed. That wont change IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'll certainly try.

Just to echo what others have said, that thread is to Covid what Ewan MacKenna is to rugby. There’s zero value in reading it.
    This is important. For feeling better and to keep fit. Hoping to start running in the morning soon. Been having difficulties with sleep recently, but if I can get over that I'll be out early.

On the running, rather than waiting til you get a good nights sleep before starting, you might find that 1) you’ll sleep better at night If you’ve gone for a run that day and 2) it might energise you for the day.

It sounds counter-intuitive but I’d really recommend trying to get out for a short run even if you’re tired from not having slept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I had to go to a pharmacy last week as my hands were in bits. She told me to put moisturiser on them for a few days which I did and they're back to normal now

• Advertisement

Yeah, I had to wash my hands probably 20-30 times a day for work before any of this started. E45 is cheap enough for a big 500ml container, a good dollop in the morning, evening and before bed and the hands are alright.

aloooof wrote: »
    On the running, rather than waiting til you get a good nights sleep before starting, you might find that 1) you’ll sleep better at night If you’ve gone for a run that day and 2) it might energise you for the day.

It sounds counter-intuitive but I’d really recommend trying to get out for a short run even if you’re tired from not having slept.

Agree with this totally. Even if your only going for a 3-4k run to begin with, do it. I find when i sit down at the laptop for work my head is clear from some fresh air and a proper shower. You just get positive vibes from your run

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Buy O'Keefe's hand cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Is it wrong for me to laugh at you lads and your little baby soft hands!!

I'm washing away like a mad thing and not a bother!! Years of farm work as a lad and between gathering spuds, turf etc and working on site has left me with pretty hardy hands!! I wear gloves in work every day mind, but after a few days of not working my hands are as soft as a baby's arse!!

mfceiling wrote: »
    Is it wrong for me to laugh at you lads and your little baby soft hands!!

I'm washing away like a mad thing and not a bother!! Years of farm work as a lad and between gathering spuds, turf etc and working on site has left me with pretty hardy hands!! I wear gloves in work every day mind, but after a few days of not working my hands are as soft as a baby's arse!!

I swear the skin on my hands is thinning from all the washing

You feck off with yourself and your farmers hands:p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement