Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

When/where did Clare Co Council say such an email or contact was very uncommon?

The council never said an email to Failte Ireland was very uncommon. They said a phone call to them was, yesterday morning.

But the Taoiseach's story was not that he sent an email to Failte Ireland. The story has since changed. He says he didn't remember it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The council never said an email to Failte Ireland was very uncommon. They said a phone call to them was, yesterday morning.

But the Taoiseach's story was not that he sent an email to Failte Ireland. The story has since changed. He says he didn't remember it right.
    It wasn't a story. It was an anecdote. ;)

/pedant

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It wasn't a story. It was an anecdote. ;)

/pedant

An anecdote is a story :pac:

An anecdote is a story :pac:
    That's more lilke it. I was beginning to worry for you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'll tell you an anecdote. In 1974 I was catching the London train from Crewe station. It was very crowded; I found myself in a last-minute rush for the one remaining seat beside a tall, good-looking man with collar-length hair, it was the seventies; buckaroo! I looked up and saw it was none other than Peter Purves, it was the height of his Blue Peter fame. He said, "You jammy bastard" and quick as a flash, I replied, "Don't be blue, Peter!" Needless to say, I had the last laugh, now **** off!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Where did they say this?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Where did they say this?

It was a quote on RTE radio yesterday morning

It was a quote on RTE radio yesterday morning
    It's not mentioned in any of the articles on the subject on the RTE website. The council said that there was no note of any enquiry or submission on the part of the [then] minister on the planniing file. That should be the case if it happened. There's a specific section on planning files for representations made by politicians.

It's not mentioned in any of the articles on the subject on the RTE website. The council said that there was no note of any enquiry or submission on the part of the [then] minister on the planniing file. That should be the case if it happened. There's a specific section on planning files for representations made by politicians.

I think it was a quote from the Irish Times, I htink I also saw it mentionedn on there in the article where they were discussing the developer's concerns yesterday morning, although I can't find that article now.

Their point at the time was that if he had called them they would remember it, and they had no record of it. As it turns out now the Taoiseach has changed his story, they were likely right in that regard.

I think it was a quote from the Irish Times, I htink I also saw it mentionedn on there in the article where they were discussing the developer's concerns yesterday morning, although I can't find that article now.

Their point at the time was that if he had called them they would remember it, and they had no record of it. As it turns out now the Taoiseach has changed his story, they were likely right in that regard.
    Yeah, I suspect that he was at best exaggerating and at worst, making sh1t up.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Snow is just annoying now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hey look everyone, it's 9.25 a.m and awec is up!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mfceiling wrote: »

Thats not right

Still in bed actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Baby sets the timetable now! :D

Ah jaysus not this ****e again

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah jaysus not this ****e again

The snow?

Stheno wrote: »
    The snow?

The snow.

The snow.

Im sick of snow

All the feckers who get days off while i have to work from home :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Thats not right

Jesus Christ be praised!

(not sure if anyone will get that reference)

Im sick of snow

All the feckers who get days off while i have to work from home :(
    There'll be no days off for this one, will have melted by Tuesday. Supposed to melt this afternoon I think.

It's still a pox. The last one was lovely and all but I've had enough snow for this year.

awec wrote: »
    There'll be no days off for this one, will have melted by Tuesday. Supposed to melt this afternoon I think.

Deadly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Love the snow. Just hope it doesn't delay the train I have to get to go pick up the phone I apparently just placed down on the bar and walked away from last night.

Suppose it would be rude not to have a pint seeing as they were nice enough to keep it safe for me. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bazzo wrote: »
    Love the snow. Just hope it doesn't delay the train I have to get to go pick up the phone I apparently just placed down on the bar and walked away from last night.

Suppose it would be rude not to have a pint seeing as they were nice enough to keep it safe for me. :D

Defo gonna turn into a session!!!

Lads

Anyone recomnend noise cancelling headphones with a microphone?

Nothing mental pricewise :)

• Advertisement

Lads

Jabra evolve

Jabra evolve

Thanks im working in an open plan office with no partitons and the noise is deafening at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Thanks im working in an open plan office with no partitons and the noise is deafening at times

My OH works in an office with a woman who apparently burps every couple of minutes. It's driving her up the wall. She reckons it's a cultural thing, as this woman apparently apologises every time she sneezes or coughs, but feels free to burp all she wants. Might pick her up a pair of... <checks price of those Jabra headphones>... you know, she should really learn to be more tolerant to other cultures!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Lads

There is a boards thread in Bargain Alerts dedicated to the bose QC35s (which don't satisfy your nothing mental requirements), but in that thread people tend to post alternatives too. Although I reckon the Jabras are good, check the thread you might get something class.

Hmm maybe that's not what you are after. The jabra has noise cancelling in the sense that the mic doesn't pick up background noise.

Do you perhaps just need earplugs?

• Advertisement

Hmm maybe that's not what you are after. The jabra has noise cancelling in the sense that the mic doesn't pick up background noise.

Do you perhaps just need earplugs?
    That should be helpful with phone conversations. :D

Good quality over ear headphones that would block external noise is what's needed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Work should be paying for these.

Jabra evolve

Was he in Star Wars?

Was he in Star Wars?

Yes, and he likes classic rock, especially when the Guitarists plays by himself..

"ho ho ho... Solo.."

Work mate was having a few beers in the pub after the glorious result on Saturday.
    4 young "rugger buggers" (his words not mine) pulled in beside him and asked the barman for 4 sticks.
    Barman stared blankly (mate said he was wondering WTF).
    4 sticks?
    Yeah 4 sticks of heinomite.

So that's it now folks...a pint of Heineken is now a stick of heinomite.

Work mate was having a few beers in the pub after the glorious result on Saturday.
    4 young "rugger buggers" (his words not mine) pulled in beside him and asked the barman for 4 sticks.
    4 sticks?

So that's it now folks...a pint of Heineken is now a stick of heionmite.
    That was ibf and his posse.

That was ibf and his posse.

Ak surely?

Ak surely?
    .ak would never drink Heineken. No matter what edgy name it's given. It would be some obscure tipple fermented in the armpits of trappist monks.

.ak would never drink Heineken. No matter what edgy name it's given. It would be some obscure tipple fermented in the armpits of trappist monks.

Ah yes i forgot

Served in a glass of solidified yak droppings

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

.ak drinks Harp ironically.

• Advertisement

.ak drinks Harp ironically.
    It's the only way to drink it, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Damn straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

4 sticks?

So that's it now folks...a pint of Heineken is now a stick of heinomite.

I'm assuming the barman just told him to get out?

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'm assuming the barman just told him to get out?

Believe it or not it wasn't in the leafy enclaves of D4 but Dunshaughlin!!
    The barman would have been well within his rights to administer a large boot in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Believe it or not it wasn't in the leafy enclaves of D4 but Dunshaughlin!!
    The barman would have been well within his rights to administer a large boot in the hole.

I would hope the barman would just look at the bloke and move on to the next customer.

Order like a bellend, be treated like a bellend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Buer wrote: »
    I would hope the barman would just look at the bloke and move on to the next customer.

Order like a bellend, be treated like a bellend.

Was told a story about a barman in a sister pub of the one I worked a good few years, maybe 10, back.

D4 lad walks up to the bar, which was pretty busy.
    D4 lad: "Can I have 3 pints of Ken"
    Barman: "What?"
    D4 lab: "3 pints of Ken"
    Barman: "What are you talking about?"
    D4 lad: "3 pint of Ken! You know Heineken"
    Barman: "For f**ks sake if 3 frogs can say Budweiser surely you can say Heineken"

What sort of ruffian orders pints of Heineken anyway.

What sort of ruffian orders pints of Heineken anyway.
    One that's just had a pint of Harp. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

http://www.metrolink.ie/#/home

Site is live. Dublin is screaming out for metro lines. They better not bury this again

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    http://www.metrolink.ie/#/home

Site is live. Dublin is screaming out for metro lines. They better not bury this again

Is having the metro follow pretty much the same route as the LUAS green line not a bit pointless?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement