Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Congrats awec, getting seriously outnumbered there now.

Is anyone else actually running out of those ****ty little jobs around the house to be done? Everything that needed organising, tidying, cleaning, fixing or hanging is basically done here now. If things like dumbbells and benches weren't worth their considerable weight in gold right now I'd probably consider setting up a mini gym in the spare room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

jacothelad wrote: »
    Get a nanny....but one that doesn't distract you....if you get my drift.:D

Unfortunately mine can't distract me as she's outside the 2kms from my house!!

Are any of the creches still looking for payment while they are closed?

We decided to keep paying our childminder for the foreseeable future. She only does a few hours a day with us so it's no fortune to be honest, plus we know she'll be there when this is all over.

It will be all over sometime won't it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mfceiling wrote: »

In the year 2525

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

We decided to keep paying our childminder for the foreseeable future. She only does a few hours a day with us so it's no fortune to be honest, plus we know she'll be there when this is all over.

I don't think the creches are allowed ask for payment now, there was some government scheme to pay workers full salaries while laid off and pause all creche fees for 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I believe some were but the government has advised that parents won't have to keep paying childcare for 3 months anyway.

My place contacted me to advise they were postponing payments before that. We were happy enough to pay still given the staff weren't working at that point and we're both still working. The woman who runs our place is doing some yoga for the kids online with them which is really good of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Congrats awec.

The second one is way easier so all is good.

*third is a fecker though*

FFS mf! You couldn't have posted that 5.5 months ago, no?

No. 3 due in July... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Bazzo wrote: »
    Is anyone else actually running out of those ****ty little jobs around the house to be done? Everything that needed organising, tidying, cleaning, fixing or hanging is basically done here now. If things like dumbbells and benches weren't worth their considerable weight in gold right now I'd probably consider setting up a mini gym in the spare room.

I'm a software developer so I have to keep working the whole time which means I've not had time to do any of those little jobs. I'm obviously incredibly lucky too still have a job and income at this time but I'd be lying if I din't say that there wasn't the odd moment where I wish I had the time off to get some stuff organised around the house.

ps congrats awec

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buer wrote: »
    That actually doesn't sound that bad. Have a nap, listen to podcasts and ask Deliveroo to bring you food.

I got the softest labour ever. My wife had emergency surgery and was hospitalised for a week but I wasn't nearly as dramatic or attention seeking.

Our first was an emergency too, things got serious very quickly and it was not an enjoyable experience at all.

Was elective section this time, so no labour involved, went much better, much calmer and enjoyable for herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

It's times like this that make me glad I'm firing blanks :D

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Our first was an emergency too, things got serious very quickly and it was not an enjoyable experience at all.

Was elective section this time, so no labour involved, went much better, much calmer and enjoyable for herself.

I dare you to describe it as enjoyable in front of her and film her reaction

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I dare you to describe it as enjoyable in front of her and film her reaction

She actually did enjoy it. Like as much as you can enjoy actually giving birth! :pac: Elective sections are a different beast entirely.

The difficulty with sections is the recovery afterward. Much longer and more difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

awec wrote: »
    So in news that's not corona-related, the awec family increased in size today, another girl to add to the mix.

Father of daughters, plural now. I think I'll be tapping up mfceiling for advice on coping mechanisms.

495353f40dd0dc1fd957c93b23c99e04.jpeg

Bit late for that now don't you think?

But congrats to all of you, house is getting smaller by the minute ;)

.ak wrote: »

And the dead arose!

First Covid-19 and now .ak is back.

It truly is the apocalypse.

And the dead arose!

Says you!

Says you!

More comebacks than Jesus and Elvis combined ;)

Only meant I hadn't seen ak. post in a long time, nice to see him back is all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Is anyone else picturing MacKenna walking about in a velvet suit with a lot of jewellery, a cane and a hat with a feather?

Why would he be dressing up like me?

And congrats Awec. Time for the snip?

.ak wrote: »

robin_williams_what_year_is_it_jumanji.jpg

Numbers in the UK paint a very poor picture today and from what friends over there are telling me the shutdown is nowhere near as comprehensive as here in terms of enforcement and compliance.

I hope people in NI are listening to Dublin and not Westminster or we're going to share in the pain of their serious misjudgment despite a more aggressive approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Numbers in the UK paint a very poor picture today and from what friends over there are telling me the shutdown is nowhere near as comprehensive as here in terms of enforcement and compliance.

I hope people in NI are listening to Dublin and not Westminster or we're going to share in the pain of their serious misjudgment despite a more aggressive approach.

Yesterday

https://twitter.com/Michael_Heaver/status/1244967316959514625?s=19

This video is worrying. Gives the crazies in the states something to fall back. I would ordinarily take the word of a Stanford professor.

I'd retort that he keeps saying there isn't enough data. Just because there isn't enough long term data doesn't mean we shouldn't err on the side of caution when the other option is needless deaths. There arguably could be more deaths in the states due to their lack of welfare support systems though if their economy completely tanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

This video is worrying. Gives the crazies in the states something to fall back. I would ordinarily take the word of a Stanford professor.

I'd retort that he keeps saying there isn't enough data. Just because there isn't enough long term data doesn't mean we shouldn't err on the side of caution when the other option is needless deaths. There arguably could be more deaths in the states due to their lack of welfare support systems though if their economy completely tanks.

This is infuriating.

This moron is clearly doubling down on this horsecrap, he wrote a few weeks ago.

Clearly a more quantitative version of the Jordan Peterson "all I'm saying is" model, where you don't outright specify support for a certain perspective, but you carefully use tone and complexity (bordering on confusion) to confirm it in the minds of people who want it confirmed.

He's also just boldly lying in places: "Part of Italy's problem was its lack of ICU beds" - Italy are 11th in the world for ICU/CCB beds per capita, particularly in the more wealthy Northern regions where this thing spread like the clappers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Neil3030 wrote: »
    This is infuriating.

This moron is clearly doubling down on this horsecrap, he wrote a few weeks ago.

Clearly a more quantitative version of the Jordan Peterson "all I'm saying is" model, where you don't outright specify support for a certain perspective, but you carefully use tone and complexity (bordering on confusion) to confirm it in the minds of people who want it confirmed.

He's also just boldly lying in places: "Part of Italy's problem was its lack of ICU beds" - Italy are 11th in the world for ICU/CCB beds per capita, particularly in the more wealthy Northern regions where this thing spread like the clappers.

Similarly in the UK, Peter Hitchens is another who has been absolutely insufferable on this. I'm no epidemiologst, but his comments seem almost dangerous to me, saying it all seemed like an overreaction. Put me in mind of this tweet:

https://twitter.com/MariInTokyo/status/1237904273880604673

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I just realised I'll never see mine again. She was due to be with us until the end of the school year but got a placement in Morocco from mid May so that'll be the end of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone know where I can order yoga mats and dumbells for delivery to Dublin that won't be mad pricey (I'm willing to spend a bit if they're good). Feels like they all cost a lot more than they should.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

errlloyd wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can order yoga mats and dumbells for delivery to Dublin that won't be mad pricey (I'm willing to spend a bit if they're good). Feels like they all cost a lot more than they should.

Apollo fitness??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The Brits have only been taking it seriously for about 7 days. Streets in London generally empty now, thank god, but you still get the rush hour traffic. It was still madness until about a week ago.

Whatever about anything else, the sooner this queueing up for 20 minutes to get into a supermarket ****e end the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Whatever about anything else, the sooner this queueing up for 20 minutes to get into a supermarket ****e end the better

It's very hit and miss where I am. Last night I walked straight in at 8pm, when I left at 8:20pm there was a queue for 15 approx.

It's very hit and miss where I am. Last night I walked straight in at 8pm, when I left at 8:20pm there was a queue for 15 approx.

It actually ended up being a 45 min wait. Thought getting there early would beat the crowd but maybe I'll just go in the middle of the day next time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

It actually ended up being a 45 min wait. Thought getting there early would beat the crowd but maybe I'll just go in the middle of the day next time

I think the same is happening here a lot of people going early in the hopes that they'll avoid the rush when in fact it's quieter in the afternoon

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

b.gud wrote: »
    I think the same is happening here a lot of people going early in the hopes that they'll avoid the rush when in fact it's quieter in the afternoon

Its quiet after 7pm where I go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

And the dead arose!
    First Covid-19 and now .ak is back.

It truly is the apocalypse.
    robin_williams_what_year_is_it_jumanji.jpg
    More comebacks than Jesus and Elvis combined ;)

Only meant I hadn't seen ak. post in a long time, nice to see him back is all :)

source.gif

Hope everyone's safe and doing well!

I refuse to queue anywhere at anytime for anything. Went to my local tesco last night at 8pm and there was a queue of about a dozen people. Straight back out and down to lidl. Queue was in the car park. Straight back out and home.
    Could never be arsed waiting for anything so I did without toast this morning.
    Tipped into the local Londis there and it was virtually empty so I bought 5 loafs and a few other bits. I probably won't go near any major supermarkets until the queueing restrictions are lifted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I refuse to queue anywhere at anytime for anything.

So what happens if you have done your shop, your trolley is full and you get to the tills and they all have a queue, however small?

You just wander around until one opens up? Or do you just leave and go home.

So what happens if you have done your shop, your trolley is full and you get to the tills and they all have a queue, however small?

You just wander around until one opens up? Or do you just leave and go home.

I have left the supermarket before where the tills were very busy and I'd have been waiting at least 10 minutes to get served. Just left the trolley and fcuked off (I know it was a shìtty thing to do).
    Genuinely I will not queue if it takes more than a minute or 2.
    It drives my missus demented but that's what I do.
    I will leave a bar if it's too busy and I'd have to wait to be served. I never drink pints at a match because there'll be a queue. When we went to Eurodisney I went on very little because I wouldn't stand for 15 or 20 minutes to go on anything....(actually started raining on the 2nd day and that was brilliant because everyone went inside and there were next to no people queueing for the rides).
    Lads in work laugh at me if we go to the shop and there's a crowd waiting at the deli...back out...I'm gone.
    I just hate standing, waiting for anything...drives me demented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone know what the deal with flour is?

There is none in any of the 6 nearest supermarkets to me. Is it suppliers closed, panic buying or just a massive uptake in baking.

There is none in any of the 6 nearest supermarkets to me. Is it suppliers closed, panic buying or just a massive uptake in baking.

The two latter. There was a segment on the news here about how the mills had doubled production but were still struggling to keep up with demand, just about starting to show back up on shelves now. It's very long shelf life and can be used to make an absolute staple so suppose people just started hoarding it.

Panic buying, particularly for making bread, and also it seems like absolutely everyone is baking stuff at the moment be it out of boredom or to avoid shopping

• Advertisement

I've done a rake of baking with the kids over the past 10 days. I've a few kilos of flour in the press so ok but I'll definitely have to top up now shortly. Aside from the fact that you can stuff your face, it's a very handy way to keep the kids busy for 1-2 hours.

I'd imagine there are a hell of a lot of parents doing similarly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm currently savouring fresh fruit scones the missus made with our eldest. Delvicious topped with lemon curd butter that a friend in Wales brought over a while ago. Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

We've been baking every second day. Scones, cupcakes, swiss roll. Carrot cake coming next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

402 new cases today. Got a shiver down my spine seeing the daily number go over 400.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This is happening here too! It is basically the only thing that can not be found on the shelves. I wanted to bake a cake for my gf's birthday and ended up having to make do with a cheesecake. A Baileys cheesecake. And I drank the rest of the Baileys.

402 new cases today. Got a shiver down my spine seeing the daily number go over 400.

Better to think of ot as a % increase just over 11% today

Far far better than the predicted 33% a few weeks ago

Stheno wrote: »
    Better to think of ot as a % increase just over 11% today

Far far better than the predicted 33% a few weeks ago

Exactly this. Think in terms of % increase, or even in terms of shapes.

We want this:

ba095f24eb5ed574dedc4698327bc328c9a4d9a0.png

We currently have this:

3f79286776a8863742e4f49ac7ad07068dcb799d.png

We're a lot closer to the peak and descent than we were a week ago.

Exactly this. Think in terms of % increase, or even in terms of shapes.

We want this:

ba095f24eb5ed574dedc4698327bc328c9a4d9a0.png

We currently have this:

3f79286776a8863742e4f49ac7ad07068dcb799d.png

We're a lot closer to the peak and descent than we were a week ago.

Did you mean we dont want the first graph?

Stheno wrote: »
    Did you mean we dont want the first graph?

We want the first graph. We want cases-per-day to peak and then descend.

We want the first graph. We want cases-per-day to peak and then descend.

The numbers confused me :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement