Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

awec wrote: »
    Is having the metro follow pretty much the same route as the LUAS green line not a bit pointless?

I believe the plan is that it just takes over the LUAS green line. The line was built with ability to be upgraded to metro. So the cross city will end at Charlemont and there will be a disconnected spur south of Sandyford.

Synode wrote: »
    http://www.metrolink.ie/#/home

Site is live. Dublin is screaming out for metro lines. They better not bury this again

I'll lose my nut if the government changes before physical work on this starts and they put it on hold to "replan" it or some such nonsense.

awec wrote: »
    Is having the metro follow pretty much the same route as the LUAS green line not a bit pointless?

It's going to use the Luas tracks. It'll have a much bigger capacity. Some stations will need to be upgraded but I think that's it, the track is suitable for the Metro stock.

I don't understand why the Metro doesn't stop in Drumcondra. There are massive numbers of people living there and it's one of the worst bottlenecks in the city at rush hour. In fact I'm still sitting in the office so when I get there this evening I'll be able to use the bus lanes.

The kink in the line to the west between Griffith Park and O'Connell St, this area is pretty much served by Luas cross-city already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'll lose my nut if the government changes before physical work on this starts and they put it on hold to "replan" it or some such nonsense.

It's getting to the stage where people realise these projects have to be done. Dublin traffic is atrocious. Spend whatever it takes to get us a world class public transport system. The benefits it will bring to the whole country will more than repay the cost.

Synode wrote: »
    It's getting to the stage where people realise these projects have to be done. Dublin traffic is atrocious. Spend whatever it takes to get us a world class public transport system. The benefits it will bring to the whole country will more than repay the cost.

Oh for sure. But everyone also wants to get credit for it being "their" project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It might go ahead but I'd be shocked if it managed to come close to the time line that is set out. There will be a massive number of objections to the work. The biggest one immediately is Na Fianna who will be displaced for 7 years by the works, supposedly. They're a huge club with significant clout and will happily drag this through every legal objection possible unless major allowances are made for them.

This work is decades overdue and we should be way, way down the line on such a system rather than only at the initial stages of development. The city is completey choked. We refuse to build up as a society so people are forced to live further and further out, commuting to the CBDs and business districts from long distance. And yet we're still going to have thousands of people objecting to the works.

It's a miracle that anything actually proceeds in this country. Also, if the economy goes bang before works commence, it will be shelved yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    ....we're still going to have thousands of people objecting to the works.

Of course we are. As a society it's what we're really good at.

I remember well the furor over the Port Tunnel and do worry in that regard.

I wish someone was able to collate all the objections to previous large infrastructure projects, the delays in all the projects and the ultimate roaring success of all those projects and tell all the objectors to go **** themselves. They should, obviously, offer more than fair compensation to everyone affected but the city needs this and it needs it quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I wish someone was able to collate all the objections to previous large infrastructure projects, the delays in all the projects and the ultimate roaring success of all those projects and tell all the objectors to go **** themselves. They should, obviously, offer more than fair compensation to everyone affected but the city needs this and it needs it quickly.

Absolutely. I imagine that there are people out there who have objected to some projects and got them stopped or delayed and wear that as a badge of honour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

There were problems with the port tunnel though. And they were problems highlighted by objectors at the time. Weren't there houses damaged by the tunnelling works?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

And there is literally no way to do the job without causing disruption and/or requiring compulsory purchase orders. People want this stuff, but only if it doesn't affect them negatively. Nobody is willing to pay the price for it. Which I suppose is easy for me to say when I won't have to deal with the disruption. But the fact is that this has to happen. And unfortunately some people will need to lose out as a result. As long as they are fairly compensated then that's as much as can be done really.

Unlike the Port Tunnel though, the people who will be disrupted directly are also the people who are going to benefit directly. It will be a poxy situation but they will then have what should be the single best piece of transport infrastructure on the island right on their doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's a pity DART underground was shelved due to the crisis. When it was initially announced the completion year was 2017.

Unlike the Port Tunnel though, the people who will be disrupted directly are also the people who are going to benefit directly. It will be a poxy situation but they will then have what should be the single best piece of transport infrastructure on the island right on their doorstep.

Na Fianna? I'm sure they'd rather their pitches available than a metro station. It's a local club, the metro isn't going to benefit them the most.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There were problems with the port tunnel though. And they were problems highlighted by objectors at the time. Weren't there houses damaged by the tunnelling works?

Some minor damage I think yes and they were fixed. From the way people were talking about it at the time you'd swear they were going to create a sinkhole that would devour all the houses in Marino. There was, in essence, some mild inconvenience caused to a few hundred people and we got a (vastly delayed) important piece of infrastructure in return.

Na Fianna? I'm sure they'd rather their pitches available than a metro station. It's a local club, the metro isn't going to benefit them the most.

I'm talking generally. Na Fianna are one group and they will still benefit from it to an extent.`

I imagine they're also going to do very well out of this long term with respect to their facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Having a metro station in your grounds would massively benefit a club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭jd

I don't understand why the Metro doesn't stop in Drumcondra. There are massive numbers of people living there and it's one of the worst bottlenecks in the city at rush hour. In fact I'm still sitting in the office so when I get there this evening I'll be able to use the bus lanes.

The kink in the line to the west between Griffith Park and O'Connell St, this area is pretty much served by Luas cross-city already.

The reason it is going to the west is there is going to be a big interchange station at cross guns serving the metro and two heavy rail lines. The station at Drumcondra could only serve the one line.. (It's trying to do some of the job the Dart Underground would have done - but that's a discussion for the infrastructure forum.)

Listened to Casefile's podcast on Silk Road over the weekend. I knew the basic premise of the story in advance but it was enthralling to hear the in depth background to how it came to be and came to fall apart. A real life Breaking Bad story. Normal guy went from being a top student to overseeing an empire in a simple few years.

It's incredible that, after such care and attention to detail, a historical log in on a discussion forum using his real email address led to the downfall of it's creator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I know cricket is very much a niche sport in Ireland...but anyone else following the wee drama of Australia in South Africa...Australia caught red-handed cheating in a pre-meditated act of deliberate ball tampering.

Which is surprising, because Australians are generally considered the well-mannered gentlemen of cricket...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Get over Trevor Chappell you sook!

Listened to Casefile's podcast on Silk Road over the weekend. I knew the basic premise of the story in advance but it was enthralling to hear the in depth background to how it came to be and came to fall apart. A real life Breaking Bad story. Normal guy went from being a top student to overseeing an empire in a simple few years.

It's incredible that, after such care and attention to detail, a historical log in on a discussion forum using his real email address led to the downfall of it's creator.

Warning: This podcast contains frequent use of the Australian accent, which some listeners may find disturbing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Their grounds will be used during the construction process only. Where did you hear it was being replaced by a station?

dregin wrote: »
    Their grounds will be used during the construction process only. Where did you hear it was being replaced by a station?

Yeah it's only during construction. But they could lose their grounds for over 5 years.

Does the benefit of having a station underneath them outweigh the cost of losing their pitches for all that time? They don't seem to think so.

Yeah it's only during construction. But they could lose their grounds for over 5 years.

Does the benefit of having a station underneath them outweigh the cost of losing their pitches for all that time? They don't seem to think so.

Suppose it depends whether you are looking at the short term or the long term. Even then, they may view use of the pitches as more important and I could certainly understand that viewpoint.

Tough **** though. I imagine they'll get a tasty package out of it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Their pitch, not pitches, it’s only one of pitches according to the reports last week. Though that is the main pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

stephen_n wrote: »
    Their pitch, not pitches, it’s only one of pitches according to the reports last week. Though that is the main pitch.
    Also losing 2 all weather pitches

The main pitch is their only pitch. So yes you're right it's pitch not pitches but they still have to find a totally separate site to play on.

The main pitch is their only pitch. So yes you're right it's pitch not pitches but they still have to find a totally separate site to play on.

In Mobhi Road. They use several other pitches elsewhere.

• Advertisement

In Mobhi Road. They use several other pitches elsewhere.

Fair enough wasn't aware of that.

What do you reckon Buer. Should we propose that the rugby forum be moved to the deep web? You know, to make it safe from rugby league and soccer followers.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    What do you reckon Buer. Should we propose that the rugby forum be moved to the deep web? You know, to make it safe from rugby league and soccer followers.

I'm not sure. The dark web is filled with sick and wrong things to acquire that nobody in their right mind would go near.

Drugs, weapons, Ulster forwards, illegal documents.

It's all there.

I'm not sure. The dark web is filled with sick and wrong things to acquire that nobody in their right mind would go near.

Drugs, weapons, Ulster forwards, illegal documents.

It's all there.

Ulster forwards. Prefer something a bit more hardcore myself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Where'd you hear they were having a station underneath them? Almost positive their space is being used for access by boring machines and other gear.

Where'd you hear they were having a station underneath them? Almost positive their space is being used for access by boring machines and other gear.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0322/949357-nta-unveils-3bn-underground-metro-plan/
    A permanent station will be also be built under the Mobhi Road ground.

Does anyone have the link to the Metro website that shows the route map because Google is showing nothing for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0322/949357-nta-unveils-3bn-underground-metro-plan/

Does anyone have the link to the Metro website that shows the route map because Google is showing nothing for me.

http://www.metrolink.ie/#/map

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭jd

http://www.metrolink.ie/#/map

Don't know if anyone here is covered by the child first act, or is a mandated person. If you are and you are requested to do the online training program, save yourself the hassle and skip the training, go straight to the questions and get your certificate. That's an hour of my life I'm never getting back :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Don't know if anyone here is covered by the child first act, or is a mandated person. If you are and you are requested to do the online training program, save yourself the hassle and skip the training, go straight to the questions and get your certificate. That's an hour of my life I'm never getting back :(

I've to do it next week, my child protection training is out of date. Garda vetting up too... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Zzippy wrote: »
    I've to do it next week, my child protection training is out of date. Garda vetting up too... :rolleyes:

You can look forward to questions as challenging as which of the following is child neglect (a) no food (b) no water or (c) no WiFi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Zzippy wrote: »

I am up next month for 'refresher training', as my CP is three years old. I really hope I don't have to keep doing this every three years.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    You can look forward to questions as challenging as which of the following is child neglect (a) no food (b) no water or (c) no WiFi.

That is quite challenging actually. Do I let the child

a) Starve?
    b) Dehydrate?

What did you choose...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

swiwi_ wrote: »
    That is quite challenging actually. Do I let the child

a) Starve?
    b) Dehydrate?

What did you choose...?

For shame swiwi, if you provide wifi they won't notice they're hungry/thirsty. It's clearly c.

I'm so going to ace this test...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I did the course a few weeks ago. The TUSLA one is bad. The PDST one is even worse, and you don’t even get anything to say that you did the PDST one!!!

I think it’s important for mandated persons to be aware of their new responsibilities in terms of the reporting IF the DLP deems it reportable, and the ability to bring a case themselves if the DLP doesn’t think it is an issue worth pursuing.

But the questions asked are a mockery of the course, and the structure of it could be so much better, informative and relevant to real life/grey area scenarios. It’s an opportunity wasted!!

But if it helps one kid then I can’t complain.

(I skipped thru lots of it and just did the questions. 100% first time.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Wait. You lot are in charge of children?!? Human children? Actual real life, breathing, human children?

Hold on, are you guys running sweat shops? Electronics or clothing?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Human children? Actual real life, breathing, human children?

Initially, yes.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Initially, yes.

what do you ?? turn them into aliens ????

sullivlo wrote: »
    I did the course a few weeks ago. The TUSLA one is bad. The PDST one is even worse, and you don’t even get anything to say that you did the PDST one!!!

I think it’s important for mandated persons to be aware of their new responsibilities in terms of the reporting IF the DLP deems it reportable, and the ability to bring a case themselves if the DLP doesn’t think it is an issue worth pursuing.

But the questions asked are a mockery of the course, and the structure of it could be so much better, informative and relevant to real life/grey area scenarios. It’s an opportunity wasted!!

But if it helps one kid then I can’t complain.

(I skipped thru lots of it and just did the questions. 100% first time.)

They could have saved themselves a lot of effort and simplified the message to “report everything immediately and cover your ass”. There is absolutely zero useful information in that TUSLA one. If you didn’t have the cop on to answer all those questions correctly without doing the training, I’m guessing you shouldn’t be responsible for kids.

That's how I always do work related training courses. At least its somewhat of a challenge that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Anyone else enjoying a pint in their local pub on this most holy of days?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement