Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Zzippy wrote: »
    That was the best facepalm moment of the day!

It was obviously a joke... right?

I'd say there is a growing chance there will be a lifting of some restrictions at some point in May. I think the Government is to release a plan outlining the stages of return by the end of the month which will be pretty welcome at this stage.

On the flip side the world outside of Ireland is rapidly becoming more alarming. Growing risk of famine in east Africa and the coronavirus taking hold on the wider continent. Brazil about to descend into a humanitarian catastriohe and the American president calling on American's to overthrow the ... government?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

How safe would we say supermarkets are atm. SuperValu had a computer fudge up so we've had to go into the store and pick up groceries rather than pick up click and collect.

Obviously the main risk is now from close contact, but it would be reassuring if there wasn't a high likelihood.

Clegg wrote: »
    How safe would we say supermarkets are atm. SuperValu had a computer fudge up so we've had to go into the store and pick up groceries rather than pick up click and collect.

Obviously the main risk is now from close contact, but it would be reassuring if there wasn't a high likelihood.

Growing evidence that shops are relatively safe provided there aren't actively infected people there at the same time as you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My local Supervalu have sanitiser and paper towel at the entrance and gloves if you want them also and have markings on the floor

They also open till about 10 or 11pm so I tend to go in after 7:30 and it tends to be quiet

Where I live though, we have two Lidls, two Aldis two or three Tescos, two Dunnes and two Supervalus

The one I go to would be one of the smaller ones it's about a quarter the size of the main one

One of the Dunnes and Lidls is a couple of minutes walk from my house and has queues most days

If you can go later

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We do weekly shop (one of the two of us) in store every week. Use the sanitizer on the way in & out & make sure you arent too close to anyone for too long and you should be fine. We havent had an issue with distancing in weeks so as long as you're looking after your own side of things theres no reason to worry.

Stheno wrote: »
    My local Supervalu have sanitiser and paper towel at the entrance and gloves if you want them also and have markings on the floor

They also open till about 10 or 11pm so I tend to go in after 7:30 and it tends to be quiet

Where I live though, we have two Lidls, two Aldis two or three Tescos, two Dunnes and two Supervalus

The one I go to would be one of the smaller ones it's about a quarter the size of the main one

One of the Dunnes and Lidls is a couple of minutes walk from my house and has queues most days

If you can go later

SuperValu Lucan has all of that. So the general hygiene thing isn't an issue as such. Suppose it's still just the anxiety that you come too close to someone who may have it. Obviously that's not a healthy way to view things, but that's my worry.

Would've liked to have gone later, but was en route to collect the shipping from click and collect when SuperValu rang to say it was unavailable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

SuperValu Lucan has all of that. So the general hygiene thing isn't an issue as such. Suppose it's still just the anxiety that you come too close to someone who may have it. Obviously that's not a healthy way to view things, but that's my worry.

Would've liked to have gone later, but was en route to collect the shipping from click and collect when SuperValu rang to say it was unavailable.

Try not to worry, most people are being as cautious as you tbh

Best being sued by Jackson's lawyers. What a mess.

• Advertisement

I'd go to the biggest shop you can. Tesco in mount merrion is massive so there's loads of room for everyone. The likes of SuperValu in ranelagh is quite tight so you are on top of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd say there is a growing chance there will be a lifting of some restrictions at some point in May. I think the Government is to release a plan outlining the stages of return by the end of the month which will be pretty welcome at this stage.

On the flip side the world outside of Ireland is rapidly becoming more alarming. Growing risk of famine in east Africa and the coronavirus taking hold on the wider continent.

The western world appears to have the situation largely under a degree of control. It's more developing areas now which are major problems and are seeing the cases start to ramp up. The likes of south America, Russia and sub-continent are all reporting significantly increasing numbers and I'd imagine there are a lot more infected there and in other nations that haven't been reported/documented.

We could be in a situation where numbers in Ireland are significantly declining and life is returning to more normality whilst worldwide numbers are reaching new highs.

Try not to worry, most people are being as cautious as you tbh

This is true and something I forget sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Stheno from that description I'd say you live very close to my folks and where I grew up.

Clegg would you consider wearing a mask to reduce the risk even more? If you're taking all the precautions around hand hygiene and distancing there is very little risk but it might just help with the anxiety and provide a bit more peace of mind.

Stheno from that description I'd say you live very close to my folks and where I grew up.

Clegg would you consider wearing a mask to reduce the risk even more? If you're taking all the precautions around hand hygiene and distancing there is very little risk but it might just help with the anxiety and provide a bit more peace of mind.
    Think we'll all have to do that in the future. It's just that we were caught out today with Click and Collect being unavailable.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Best being sued by Jackson's lawyers. What a mess.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Why?

Something he said in one of the podcasts on the book tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yeah I've read about the situation, but I haven't read what he said to have allegedly libelled then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yeah I've read about the situation, but I haven't read what he said to have allegedly libelled then.

For obvious reasons!

Edit: And if anyone does know don't post it here, as boards doesn't want to be sure for libel too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Posts deleted as they came straight after mod warning

• Advertisement

apologies!!

Article from January

https://www.the42.ie/rory-best-4976020-Jan2020/

Edit; just saw the new mod post... should I delete this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Our growth curve for covid-19 cases for the last week has flattened to an average of 8%. Hopefully it will continue to drop.

I'd say so I remember you mentioning that before :)

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Our growth curve for covid-19 cases for the last week has flattened to an average of 8%. Hopefully it will continue to drop.

More importantly ICU admissions and deaths appear to be dropping

More importantly ICU admissions and deaths appear to be dropping
    If we clear this in roughly two months from the first case, that would be some achievement. Obviously won't be completely clear by the end of April, but the trend is looking encouraging.

It's refreshing to read the reasoned positivity here. The main covid thread has been usurped by the political bottom feeders where everyone is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's quite uplifting to see the response to a lot of the measures and how well people are complying to be honest.

Initially I was a bit concerned, mostly in my neck of the woods to be honest where I had a feeling that a lot of people wouldn't take it seriously and just blow it off as the gubberment trying to control them or some shíte.

Compared to the states where the president is calling on states to liberate themselves from local laws.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

It's refreshing to read the reasoned positivity here. The main covid thread has been usurped by the political bottom feeders where everyone is wrong.

I do see a rise in the great unwashed sinn fein supporters over the last few days.
    Everything from wanting another general election due to the bad FF/FG not letting Mary Lou be dictator to burning all of Keelings strawberries as they are now infected

It's quite uplifting to see the response to a lot of the measures and how well people are complying to be honest.

Initially I was a bit concerned, mostly in my neck of the woods to be honest where I had a feeling that a lot of people wouldn't take it seriously and just blow it off as the gubberment trying to control them or some shíte.

Compared to the states where the president is calling on states to liberate themselves from local laws.....
    Only those states with democrats in charge apparently. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

One thing in our favour in Ireland is that we are good at connections. Meet someone abroad on holidays, for example, and more than likely you will quickly find some friend/relative in common. Now that we have several hundred deaths and several thousand infections, there is a good chance that most of us are being touched in some way by the disease - last week, I heard of one death through a friend, and discoverd it had taken place in a care home where my mother lived for eight years. This morning I heard of two deaths who are relatives/friends of good friends of mine. A friend with whom I have stayed for Heineken Cup matches in the UK is just recovering from Covid.

I am bored out of my tree being stuck at home, but somehow having heard of these cases, I feel more determined to stop feeling sorry for myself and to double down with my tiny efforts to help the cause. I doubt I am alone thinking this way at this stage.

Anyone else hear wfh now?

I think I speak for us all when I say...
    Huh??

I think I speak for us all when I say...
    Huh??

Sorry I got the reply button too quick

Should have added " and look ok ng to do so indefinitely rather than being in the office?"

Should have added " and look ok ng to do so indefinitely rather than being in the office?"

Are you day drinking again?

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

On the flip side the world outside of Ireland is rapidly becoming more alarming. Growing risk of famine in east Africa and the coronavirus taking hold on the wider continent. Brazil about to descend into a humanitarian catastriohe and the American president calling on American's to overthrow the ... government?

There will definitely be relaxations in May IMO. These restrictions can only be imposed so long as the population is willing to accept them, and I think we're getting nearer to the point where that no longer becomes the case.

i know what you mean stheno ;);););)

yes i am.....

and i might be for the foreseeable. im moving from being an employee to self employed over the last few months.

Not paying rent currently to my office landlord, and not seeing the point of paying rent when things start back up... though rent is pittance really (€400 per month, all bills included)

When restrictions are lifted...and people try to return to normal...that's when people will die.
    Thee are a few report's on line of pubs not opening until next year....and tbh... yeah..I'd agree with that.
    But it also means no GAA, rugby, football, concerts in the timeframe either (behind closed doors games is a different matter)
    The next 6 months are going to be very bleak indeed

Are you day drinking again?

I wish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Anyone playing the FF7 Remake? I'm really enjoying it so far.

Completed it mate.

Great game, it lived up to the long wait.

Completed it mate.

Great game, it lived up to the long wait.
    It's fantastic isn't it?

Not finished yet but nearing the ax of the game, I think. They've nailed the gigantic scale of Midgar and Shinra HQ especially.

When restrictions are lifted...and people try to return to normal...that's when people will die.
    Thee are a few report's on line of pubs not opening until next year....and tbh... yeah..I'd agree with that.
    But it also means no GAA, rugby, football, concerts in the timeframe either (behind closed doors games is a different matter)

I dont think a lot of people understand that easing of restrictions is just that, an easIng

I dont expect to go near my office for a few months at least

I've been half-jokingly telling my boss I'm not going back into the office until 2021, but at the same time sort of serious about it. I've no reason to be in the office as a developer, can do absolutely every element of my job remotely, so will try stretch it out as long as I can even if it's only a day or two in the office at the start to satisfy management for in person meetings etc.

I think there'll be a general shift in how companies view remote work after all this. Companies who were hesitant or dismissive of remote work have been forced to go nearly 100% remote and are probably seeing the same level of productivity from their staff, as well as management seeing the benefits of it on a personal level first hand. My place used to be very reluctant when it came to WFH, the most you were allowed was a day a week that had to be agreed by management, all meetings were done in person and nobody used conference calls at all, and even then a lot of systems were locked down and couldn't be accessed over VPN etc because the security team were overzealous, but they've been forced to change it all now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I put all my suits and work shirts in the attic today.

It felt oddly good

I've been half-jokingly telling my boss I'm not going back into the office until 2021, but at the same time sort of serious about it. I've no reason to be in the office as a developer, can do absolutely every element of my job remotely, so will try stretch it out as long as I can even if it's only a day or two in the office at the start to satisfy management for in person meetings etc.

I think there'll be a general shift in how companies view remote work after all this. Companies who were hesitant or dismissive of remote work have been forced to go nearly 100% remote and are probably seeing the same level of productivity from their staff, as well as management seeing the benefits of it on a personal level first hand. My place used to be very reluctant when it came to WFH, the most you were allowed was a day a week that had to be agreed by management, all meetings were done in person and nobody used conference calls at all, and even then a lot of systems were locked down and couldn't be accessed over VPN etc because the security team were overzealous, but they've been forced to change it all now.

My team is based in the US and Canada. Only three of us are in Ireland. I've been used to conference calls for a long time now. My line manager in Ireland doesn't fully understand what I do and is only my manager for legal reasons. I was wfh 3/5 days per week before all this. This hasn't been much of a change at all for me.

I can't say I agree with the productivity side of things... I do work in spurts but would probably stick to task for longer in the office. Also the ability to tap someone on the shoulder for help should not be minimised. Writing an email or slack message isn't the same. Although setting up ad hoc conference calls isn't that far off. People need to get over the formality of that and treat them like a tap on the shoulder.

• Advertisement

My team is based in the US and Canada. Only three of us are in Ireland. I've been used to conference calls for a long time now. My line manager in Ireland doesn't fully understand what I do and is only my manager for legal reasons. I was wfh 3/5 days per week before all this. This hasn't been much of a change at all for me.

I can't say I agree with the productivity side of things... I do work in spurts but would probably stick to task for longer in the office. Also the ability to tap someone on the shoulder for help should not be minimised. Writing an email or slack message isn't the same. Although setting up ad hoc conference calls isn't that far off. People need to get over the formality of that and treat them like a tap on the shoulder.

In my last place on my team I was the only dev in the Dublin office with everyone else up North or in London so I guess I'm probably a bit more used to just communicating through Skype by IM or just ringing people and doing screenshares if stuck on anything.

I think it terms of productivity it all depends on the person. I've pretty much replicated my office setup here at home (albeit slightly nicer!) and still wear my noise cancelling headphones for most of the day for concentration, I find there's actually too many distractions in the office compared to home, the only main one being keeping myself sat in the chair.

The internet is my biggest distraction so I've gone to great lengths to stay productive. My current is I add a bunch of my favourite sites to the hosts file under 127.0.0.1. The time it takes me to undo that is enough time to stop the impulse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Pubs, restaurants, matches etc won't really annoy me.
    Concerts are a bummer. I was geared up to see Fontaines DC in the iveagh gardens this summer but I'd say that's off.

The one killer for me is the holidays. More than anything I look forward to that 2 weeks in france or Italy. We go all out with a nice villa with our own pool and eat out every night. I work hard and save like mad for this every year. Not having that this year is going to be a king size pain the arse.

Haven't laughed this hard in a while

mfceiling wrote: »
    Pubs, restaurants, matches etc won't really annoy me.
    Concerts are a bummer. I was geared up to see Fontaines DC in the iveagh gardens this summer but I'd say that's off.

The one killer for me is the holidays. More than anything I look forward to that 2 weeks in france or Italy. We go all out with a nice villa with our own pool and eat out every night. I work hard and save like mad for this every year. Not having that this year is going to be a king size pain the arse.

We didnt get away the past two years and were planning 5 days in Portugal and a week in Malta

For mean that means lots of sun, and I literally spend hours eating out, reading and just watching the world go by

Theres always next year I suppose

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement