Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Far be it from to see anything positive about anything the ****muppet does but how is this different to what Ardern did in NZ and which was widely praised?

The time that it was done.

Ardern did it immediately to curb the spread of the virus... Which pretty much worked.

Trump did it today to try to pass the blame..... As the virus runs rampant through the country.

Will trumps order make any difference at all to the spread of the virus? At a time that he himself is calling for civil revolt AGAINST restrictions to curb the spread?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Far be it from to see anything positive about anything the ****muppet does but how is this different to what Ardern did in NZ and which was widely praised?

Ardern managed not to announce the news with a racist dog whistle about immigrants and jobs mixed in for a start...

It seems like a fairly useless move from trump. The problem isn't that droves of infected immigrants are arriving, his own administration's incompetence means that the states will likely be ravaged and closing the borders now won't make a blind bit of difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Just to add fuel to the 2020 fire there are now mixed reports of Kim Jong Un having had major complications during heart surgery.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Just to add fuel to the 2020 fire there are now mixed reports of Kim Jong Un having had major complications during heart surgery.

Theres a cohort of uncles / cousins sharpening their blades as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I suppose the issue is that the horse has already bolted on this one. In the next 10 days or so, the U.S. will move past 1 million cases of Covid-19 and 60k deaths which is incredible to think given their population density (half that of Ireland, one of Europe's less populated nations).

I think it's safe to say that the disease has fully infiltrated their society already and these measures aren't going to do much at this point.

With that said, I'm not sure it's a reason to be massively critical either outside of his rhetoric. Very few nations have locked down their borders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://youtu.be/mHsg2M25PzY

Sport doesn't get much better than this Wimbledon final.

On a semi-related note, I see Novak Djokovic outed himself as an anti-vaxxer this week. Disappointing to see someone so admired and respected within sport to come out on that side of things. He's the pinnacle of physical atheleticism in our species. Him openly saying he disagrees with vaccines is going to influence some impressionable youngsters to some extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Imagine having to end your career because you don't believe in vaccines. What a complete tool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

^
    Djokovic is a total spacer
    "No-vaxx Djokovic":pac:

This part says all you need to know about his beliefs

"...........this stance seems reminiscent of his ideological opposition to surgery, which led to his split with Andre Agassi in 2017 after he resisted medical intervention and thought his elbow would heal with alternative, holistic treatments. Djokovic finally underwent surgery in 2018 and when he awoke, he cried for three days. “Every time I thought about what I did, I felt like I had failed myself,” he told the Telegraph.

Clearly, he had not. “Official” medicine was the reason his pain abated. Five months later he lifted the Wimbledon title and by November he was back at No 1. Eventually, reality bites us all."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Buer wrote: »
    On a semi-related note, I see Novak Djokovic outed himself as an anti-vaxxer this week. Disappointing to see someone so admired and respected within sport to come out on that side of things. He's the pinnacle of physical atheleticism in our species. Him openly saying he disagrees with vaccines is going to influence some impressionable youngsters to some extent.

I never warmed to him. Just could not bring myself to like him in any capacity at all. Now he comes out with this guff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mfceiling wrote: »
    I never warmed to him. Just could not bring myself to like him in any capacity at all. Now he comes out with this guff.

Same here, always thought he was a bit robotic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Wouldn’t want to be the surgeon if he recovers...

Although he probably went to a high fallutin private clinic in Russia, the Middle East etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Stheno wrote: »
    Same here, always thought he was a bit robotic

Agreed. There is a coldness about him that I can't stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

510423.JPG

Chalk and cheese pickarooney.

NZ is going for eradication.

Trump is going for Presidential re-election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Good move by Trump (in terms of the election, not the actual policy itself). Anyone who criticises or wants it reversed it will get labelled as a 'libtard' by the Republicans, as anything anti-immigration will get big support from the red states.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »

Well, just to add fuel to the fire, I see his other half has been spreading 5G/Covid conspiracies on Instagram according to The Guardian.

They seem a sensible pair.

Has anyone else noticed how bad 4G has been seen this whole covid thing started? I'm being 100% serious

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has anyone else noticed how bad 4G has been seen this whole covid thing started? I'm being 100% serious

Have you not got 5G?

Networks been under serious load in a lot of cases, 3 in particular had some issues.

There's also the clowns vandalising towers/masts because they think they're 5g as well

Have you not got 5G?

And catch that virus? No thanks!

• Advertisement

Have you not got 5G?

Nice try, Illuminati.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The only sensible option to take really.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1252620513500897287?s=19

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Good move by Trump (in terms of the election, not the actual policy itself). Anyone who criticises or wants it reversed it will get labelled as a 'libtard' by the Republicans, as anything anti-immigration will get big support from the red states.

Why does every irrelevant thing he does and says have to be a headline?

I'm shaking at that photo of those inbreds at the Four Courts. I'm ****ing livid.

Clegg wrote: »

Sensible stuff and probably far bigger crowds than anticipated. 5,000 people is small in the grand scheme of things but still significant if true. Plenty of scope for many events to take place in that number such as gigs in Vicar Street or the Olympia, weddings, communions and matches in Musgrave Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I'm shaking at that photo of those inbreds at the Four Courts. I'm ****ing livid.

I'd have to ban myself for the comments I want to make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Just been reading about it - what sort of morons are they? What a waste of time for everyone, to say nothing of potential danger to others. I'm fuming too.

I hate the fact she keeps being given a platform to spout her bullshít. I know there's no way of stopping it other than her getting locked up for her antics but it's still so frustrating seeing it pop up time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I'm not familiar with those two Mensa candidates. Who the feck are they and how did they get out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

The Gardai have made 34 arrests due to spacing & the 2km distance so far....they should have had a field day today at the Four Courts....all supporters knicked and a 2k fine would soften their coughs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I hate the fact she keeps being given a platform to spout her bullshít. I know there's no way of stopping it other than her getting locked up for her antics but it's still so frustrating seeing it pop up time and time again.

It would help if the mainstream media didn't cover who was making the complaints, but of course, outrage drives clicks and drives radio texts and conversation. A simple "Government to oppose challenge to legislation" headline would be fine. Won't happen though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe change the topic?
    How's the weather over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Clegg wrote: »

First thing my girlfriend said when I mentioned this “so Munster games can still go ahead so”.

Serious impact on people like TLS who make a living from these events. Right thing to do, though I’m not sure how they reached a figure of 5000.

Maybe change the topic?
    How's the weather over there?

Been fairly class, 13 degrees and sunny most days, couple overcast but not much rain. Which is probably a good thing, I can't imagine what it'd be like cooped up in the house if it was miserable outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

stephen_n wrote: »
    First thing my girlfriend said when I mentioned this “so Munster games can still go ahead so”.

Serious impact on people like TLS who make a living from these events. Right thing to do, though I’m not sure how they reached a figure of 5000.

Marry that woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I'm not that bad in that im now doing some work in a pharmacy but I've never had as many emails come in saying x and y is off/postponed etc. I've been able to adjust quite well. But many of the guys who do similar are in bad way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Good luck to that surgeon...

Rob Gronkowski returns to the NFL to join his old buddy Tom Brady at Tampa Bay. Party at IBFs!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I'm not that bad in that im now doing some work in a pharmacy but I've never had as many emails come in saying x and y is off/postponed etc. I've been able to adjust quite well. But many of the guys who do similar are in bad way.

That’s good, I hope the work continues through the summer for you.

They’re talking about 22.5% unemployment, that’s scary.

• Advertisement

Rob Gronkowski returns to the NFL to join his old buddy Tom Brady at Tampa Bay. Party at IBFs!

Absolutely wild.

I'd say Brady must be buzzing with the receiving options now, Gronk, Evans and Godwin, Jones in the backfield and the either Howard or Brate as TE 2.

Been fairly class, 13 degrees and sunny most days, couple overcast but not much rain. Which is probably a good thing, I can't imagine what it'd be like cooped up in the house if it was miserable outside.

Supposed to be 18 degrees tomorrow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Absolutely wild.

I'd say Brady must be buzzing with the receiving options now, Gronk, Evans and Godwin, Jones in the backfield and the either Howard or Brate as TE 2.

Still think it will all end in tears.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Still think it will all end in tears.

Fingers crossed!

I think it will be a good move commercially for them but I'm doubtful as to how much success they're going to have. I'm not sure how compatible a middle aged, declining Brady is going to be with their offence and what we've seen in recent seasons.

Brady is also going to get hit a lot more. They're using their space on guys like Gronk when they were in the bottom 10 in the league for sacks allowed last season and that was with a 26 year old, 105kg QB. Brady isn't going to be able to get out of those situations. I don't know how he's going to be able to prolong his plays to find his receivers unless they're going to play a lot more conservatively and use Gronk as a blocker on a lot of snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bilston wrote: »
    Good luck to that surgeon...

He could go to the dogs.....:D:D:D:D

That’s good, I hope the work continues through the summer for you.

They’re talking about 22.5% unemployment, that’s scary.

I think we're going to have to engage in some novel ecomonics at this point. Growing number of voices suggesting that the recovery and creating a completely green economy should be done all in the one go.

• Advertisement

Every citizen should just be given €1000 to spend as they wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

sydthebeat wrote: »

Straight into savings or debt.

And that's the problem for governments, most people do just that.

New handbag :D

David McWilliams is heavily pushing for that saying if deflation starts, we'll have a depression on our hands

I think we're going to have to engage in some novel ecomonics at this point. Growing number of voices suggesting that the recovery and creating a completely green economy should be done all in the one go.

The NTMA have upped their bonds funding range from 11 billion to 24, which mostly will be pumped back into the exchequer which will be a huge boost considering the central bank have forecast an 8 billion fallout due to the coronavirus.

You'd be surprised at the portfolio of assets the NTMA and the Central Bank have held since the 2008 collapse, as a country we're in a pretty strong place regarding debt security and sovereign credit rating.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement