Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

I've just had my first disinfectant injection this morning and I feel great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I've just had my first disinfectant injection this morning and I feel great.

Did you opt for generic or splash out for the dettol?

Bazzo wrote: »
    Did you opt for generic or splash out for the dettol?

Well all I had was lemon Dettol so I smell great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

b.gud wrote: »
    McConnell suggested that states that are struggling should declare for bankruptcy, Republicans don't give a f**k about anyone but themselves

Correct and Cuomo was right to point out that Kentucky (McConnell's state) is very near the top of the list for federal funding out of all the states with only Virginia receiving more per head of population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Buer wrote: »
    Correct and Cuomo was right to point out that Kentucky (McConnell's state) is very near the top of the list for federal funding out of all the states with only Virginia receiving more per head of population which is over 5 times what New York receives.

Does that take into account how many federal government workers are based in Virginia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Danzy wrote: »
    There was enough that was just pure Jew hatred though and it was often ignored by the party when reported.

Mocking the holocaust, calling people big noses etc etc is not a refined analysis of middle east politics.
    prawnsambo wrote: »
    Or the more insidious but equally anti-semitic rants at Jewish LP MPs every time the Israeli government/IDF carried out an atrocity against Palestinians for them to condemn it.

Twitter search term: to:[MP's twitter handle] condemn is instructive.

Lads, do we want politics to remain available for everyone or not??

A bit of light Middle East banter will get it closed down for everyone. Especially, as you get blow-ins to the forum once there's a sniff of Israeli-Arab conflict discussion. Like, I don't think i've ever seen Danzy post in the rugby forum before.

Personally, I'm delighted we can discuss some politics. Can we please keep controversial topics like NI politics, the Middle east etc off this forum...

troyzer wrote: »
    Does that take into account how many federal government workers are based in Virginia?

No idea although I'm sure it has an impact.

Also my numbers were wrong in relation to NY; I didn't see the negative sign next to NY. They actually receive significantly less funding than they contribute in taxation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The face of somebody who is desperately trying not to laugh and cry at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Lads, do we want politics to remain available for everyone or not??

A bit of light Middle East banter will get it closed down for everyone. Especially, as you get blow-ins to the forum once there's a sniff of Israeli-Arab conflict discussion. Like, I don't think i've ever seen Danzy post in the rugby forum before.

Personally, I'm delighted we can discuss some politics. Can we please keep controversial topics like NI politics, the Middle east etc off this forum...

I'll maintain my previous position.

We should come up with an incredibly inconspicuous sounding thread name "The Ugo Monye Appreciation Society" and discuss politics in there. To lower the chance of randos stumbling across it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

If you are concerned with a topic report the post or DM a mod don't discuss it on thread (you give it more oxygen that way)

I will give this warning one last time Religion is still out of bounds, Cards will follow if it continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Are some people beginning to get lax with the restrictions like I'm reading online? Can't say I've seen much of that around my way tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I'm more interested in how he proposes to get light inside the body. My suggestion for him is to swallow a grenade. If he did it on a tanning bed, he'd get all that lovely UV light inside his body.

If only he knew what UVC could do he might stick a UVC tube in his sunbed.....The shorter the wavelength, the more harmful the UV radiation. However, shorter wavelength UV radiation is less able to penetrate the skin. Short-wavelength UVC is the most damaging type of UV radiation. ... It can penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin and is responsible for the immediate tanning effect....and skin cancer. Go for in Donald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Hey Jaco, do you know this guy: https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1164/rccm.202004-1076ED

Martin Tobin, Prof at U Chicago, considered quite the alpha bulldog of critical care.

It's great that he wrote this; emphasising that people should intubate/ventilate Covid patients based on knowledge of physiologic state and whole picture, and not per some mindless protocol.

"The surest way to increase Covid-19 mortality is liberal use of intubation and mechanical ventilation."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

This is an interesting read on taxation of wealth. The amount of money lost from our economy to tax exiles is eye watering.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/tax-rich-200416122400217.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

No idea although I'm sure it has an impact.

Also my numbers were wrong in relation to NY; I didn't see the negative sign next to NY. They actually receive significantly less funding than they contribute in taxation.
    Yeah, Andrew Cuomo (fast becoming my favourite US politician for his 'don't give a fcuk' bluntness) was pointing out that NY is a net contributor to the federal budget and KY a net recipient. Effectively NY almost completely funding KY.

I have a bet with my wife that someday Cuomo will say in a press conference:

"Where does this guy get his f*ckin balls, huh?"

Clegg wrote: »
    Are some people beginning to get lax with the restrictions like I'm reading online? Can't say I've seen much of that around my way tbh.

Definitely. I cycled down to terenure yesterday to get some bits and pieces to last us a few more days (only going to the shops if really needed) and bushy park was very busy. The road had quite a bit of traffic there and back....much more noticable than last week.
    Loads of people out walking, which to be fair is allowed but I can say it seems people are letting their guard down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Will be super interesting to see what happens in Sweden over the next while though. Their hospitalisations are starting to fall without any drastic measures having been put in place (albeit, a lot more elderly people have paid a price for this than in neighbouring Finland and Denmark).

I think more people are out on foot and staying out for longer which is to be expected given the ongoing weather which is now warmer.

But, from what I see, they're still practicing social distancing and generally keeping to the guidelines. As long as we adhere to that, we'll continue to drive the numbers down. It does increase the risk as some people will stop for a chat etc. but, for the overwhelming majority, I think we're still doing quite well as a society.

• Advertisement

Tell you what, the muscle memory from this could really help us reduce flu deaths in future.

Who knows, maybe we'll adopt the Asian tradition of wearing a mask if you're sick.

I think more people are out on foot and staying out for longer which is to be expected given the ongoing weather which is now warmer.

But, from what I see, they're still practicing social distancing and generally keeping to the guidelines. As long as we adhere to that, we'll continue to drive the numbers down. It does increase the risk as some people will stop for a chat etc. but, for the overwhelming majority, I think we're still doing quite well as a society.

That's what I think too. If we can remember our social distancing we'll be ok, hopefully. It's completely understandable that people will want to get out after being cooped up at home for weeks. Especially when the weather is so good.

I'm also encouraged that the number of people in hospital has remained stable over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The roads are definitely busier in the last week or so.

Anyone even remotely interested in NFL, the first hour and a bit of this is absolutely excellent : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUCQdlvbDO4

All done on Zoom, it was a live telethon style format accompanying last night's draft.

You basically had 2 hosts (Rich Eissen and Deion Sanders) and 7 or 8 additional guests, rotating in and out every 20 mins or so, and everyone just laid back, at home, none of the usual ****e with American overproduced TV.

The opening hour is probably the best - Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Chris Hart, Michael Strahan...

Taking the piss out of Tom's cushions was the highlight.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Anyone even remotely interested in NFL, the first hour and a bit of this is absolutely excellent : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUCQdlvbDO4

All done on Zoom, it was a live telethon style format accompanying last night's draft.

You basically had 2 hosts (Rich Eissen and Deion Sanders) and 7 or 8 additional guests, rotating in and out every 20 mins or so, and everyone just laid back, at home, none of the usual ****e with American overproduced TV.

The opening hour is probably the best - Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Chris Hart, Michael Strahan...

Taking the piss out of Tom's cushions was the highlight.

Ha, this is actually quite enjoyable. Some of them are awful at using technology though. What on earth is Deion using as a mic...

Having a gaming night with a few pals online so was going to go and get my first beer of the lockdown.

Small queue outside an obriens and around 8 people inside.

15 minutes later same 8 entitles **** still wandering around, picking up bottles, looking at them, putting them down taking their time.

Walked off in disgust, still 4th in queue.

Ozark.

Yeah or nay? 4 episodes in and it's a slow burner.

Worth persisting with?

And venjur you need to order the beer online. Craft central is your friend here.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Ozark.

Yeah or any? 4 episodes in and it's a slow burner.

Worth persisting with?

And venjur you need to order the beer online. Craft central is your friend here.

Got through first season and some of second. It's good and I plan to finish it eventually. Just finished better call Saul season 5 - exceptional TV.

Probably going to watch wire season 3 again next.

Won't bother ordering the beer, just wanted one on a whim though have friends that swear by that site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What is the low bar or is there one?

Is there any point where Republicans step in and on a public safety basis look to sideline or remove him?

I can't get my head around this being part of normal reality.

They're like the frogs sitting in slowly boiling water. It's too late now. Plus Putin probably has kompromat on most of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Ozark.

Worth persisting with?

I really like it, finished season 3 within a week of it coming out. Some episodes can be slow but as a whole think it's really worth watching. Also as someone else said Better Call Saul season 5 is brilliant episode 8 in particular

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ozark.

Worth persisting with?

On episode 4 now, not impressed with the writing so far, very very predictable and cliched.

stephen_n wrote: »
    On episode 4 now, not impressed with the writing so far, very very predictable and cliched.

5 isn't much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

BCS season 5 was brilliant. How cool is Lalo?? Great character. Been driving down to do the weekend supermarket listening to this Salamanca style :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pZCfsKmhgI

If you had told me 20 years ago that I'd enjoy gardening this much I'd have laughed you out of the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

If you had told me 20 years ago that I'd enjoy gardening this much I'd have laughed you out of the room.
    It's the new paradigm Venjur. We're suddenly discovering things that our parents and grandparents used to enjoy doing before we got all modernised. ;)

It will be interesting to see if this whole thing changes society in any significant way. For example, there's little doubt our pub culture will be impacted if they can't open fully for a year and nightclubs will probably be unable to open at all. Will people just go straight back to the way it was?

I think there's a whole section of society who are discovering different hobbies and activities. I've friends who are suddenly spending hours on 1,000 piece jigsaws and ordering more online. Quizzes, gardening, yoga, DIY, board games etc. are all seeing a big uplift.

It's funny how we all made fun of Eamon Ryan for his comments in the Dail but he wasn't really that far off the mark in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Having a gaming night with a few pals online so was going to go and get my first beer of the lockdown.

Small queue outside an obriens and around 8 people inside.

15 minutes later same 8 entitles **** still wandering around, picking up bottles, looking at them, putting them down taking their time.

Walked off in disgust, still 4th in queue.
    8 inside? Terrible from shop in every way.
    It will be interesting to see if this whole thing changes society in any significant way. For example, there's little doubt our pub culture will be impacted if they can't open fully for a year and nightclubs will probably be unable to open at all. Will people just go straight back to the way it was?

I think there's a whole section of society who are discovering different hobbies and activities. I've friends who are suddenly spending hours on 1,000 piece jigsaws and ordering more online. Quizzes, gardening, yoga, DIY, board games etc. are all seeing a big uplift.

It's funny how we all made fun of Eamon Ryan for his comments in the Dail but he wasn't really that far off the mark in reality.
    it will change how people shop, and queue and hopefully how people treat/respect some peoples jobs they wpuldnt have thought about before this.

I think it woulnt go back immediately to what was seen as normal immediately and it will take some time

The online quiz thing is great craic. Had one last Thursday. 30 of us on Kahoot.

The online quiz thing is great craic. Had one last Thursday. 30 of us on Kahoot.

https://twitter.com/paddyraffcomedy/status/1248603669676699652?s=19

• Advertisement

it will change how people shop, and queue and hopefully how people treat/respect some peoples jobs they wpuldnt have thought about before this.

Hopefully it will stop the pricks who like to stand 3 centimetres behind you, where you can feel their breath on the back of your neck.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If those videos of assclowns queuing for McDonald's are anything to go by, very few people are likely to change anything about the way they live.

I've friends who are suddenly spending hours on 1,000 piece jigsaws and ordering more online. Quizzes, gardening, yoga, DIY, board games etc. are all seeing a big uplift.

I started hosting a regular online quiz from Paddys day. Do it twice a week.

I never really intended it to last this long, but more than 1,000 teams have played today. We had way more than 200 teams last night. We are beginning to wonder if there will still be demand post Covid.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I started hosting a regular online quiz from Paddys day. Do it twice a week.

I never really intended it to last this long, but more than 1,000 teams have played today. We had way more than 200 teams last night. We are beginning to wonder if there will still be demand post Covid.

Any chance of a link? Sounds like a bit of crack.

It's the new paradigm Venjur. We're suddenly discovering things that our parents and grandparents used to enjoy doing before we got all modernised. ;)

To be fair I've been into gardening or more specifically growing herbs / food for a fair while and I'm lucky enough in that I had quite a few lockdown friendly hobbies before all this kicked off but a huge number of friends and neighbors have certainly developed interests which I think will persist long after things return to whatever version of normal the future holds for us.

Speaking of normality - I think Trump might have seriously damaged the brand finally. The unbelievable stupidity of his comments are hard to defend and resorting to 'it was sarcasm' is exceedingly weak. There seems to be no appetite from his sphere of cheerleaders to defend the comments and early attempts by his media supporters to link his suggestions to actual or ongoing scientific developments was summarily undermined by the man himself calling it all a joke.

The fact that hundreds of people are dying every day in America as a direct consequence of Trump's actions seems tolerable to the American right but this level of humiliation of their movement may not be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Advertisement

Any chance of a link? Sounds like a bit of crack.

www.table.fish

We stream live on youtube and you can answer there. Cheating is an honesty system (that I suspect isn't working but anyway)

Stheno wrote: »

Easing restrictions, letting it come back and then bringing back in restrictions on a cycle seems to be the only way people will ever accept the restrictions though. Continuing lockdowns while there is no obvious danger just won't be sustainable.

errlloyd wrote: »
    www.table.fish

We stream live on youtube and you can answer there. Cheating is an honesty system (that I suspect isn't working but anyway)

That is very high tech altogether

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

To be fair I've been into gardening or more specifically growing herbs / food for a fair while and I'm lucky enough in that I had quite a few lockdown friendly hobbies before all this kicked off but a huge number of friends and neighbors have certainly developed interests which I think will persist long after things return to whatever version of normal the future holds for us.

Speaking of normality - I think Trump might have seriously damaged the brand finally. The unbelievable stupidity of his comments are hard to defend and resorting to 'it was sarcasm' is exceedingly weak. There seems to be no appetite from his sphere of cheerleaders to defend the comments and early attempts by his media supporters to link his suggestions to actual or ongoing scientific developments was summarily undermined by the man himself calling it all a joke.

The fact that hundreds of people are dying every day in America as a direct consequence of Trump's actions seems tolerable to the American right but this level of humiliation of their movement may not be.
    Typical. The one piece of advice of his that his followers should have gone with

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Easing restrictions, letting it come back and then bringing back in restrictions on a cycle seems to be the only way people will ever accept the restrictions though. Continuing lockdowns while there is no obvious danger just won't be sustainable.

Agreed and tbe the guy quoted was always at the more extreme end when it came to restrictions

He wanted more of them and earlier weeks ago

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement