Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

In manys ways people should be allowed to drink, and drink a lot, on Good Friday then tomorrow they'll feel like death and so they can rise again on Sunday.

Also mmmbop is one hell of a song, really stands the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

CatFromHue wrote: »
    In manys ways people should be allowed to drink, and drink a lot, on Good Friday then tomorrow they'll feel like death and so they can rise again on Sunday.

Now I feel old.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Went to see ready player one today, highly entertaining movie :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Watched the match earlier in the pub was quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Looking forward to seeing the new Wes Anderson movie Isle of Dogs. If it's half as good as Fantastic Mr Fox then we're in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

mfceiling wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing the new Wes Anderson movie Isle of Dogs. If it's half as good as Fantastic Mr Fox then we're in for a treat.

Saw it yesterday.
    Luckily my daughter enjoyed it (but skittles and popcorn might have influenced that a bit), but I really don't rate a movie like this at all.
    It strikes me as one of those things that's trendy to like, whereas in truth it's an unentertaining, slow paced story.

The whole stop-motion stuff might be deserving of some admiration for sure given the labour and time and accuracy involved, but that alone doesn't make a good movie.
    I found the pauses/silences between dialogue annoying.

But that's only my opinion! I'm probably in a minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Reports of a laois footballer beaten and now hospitalised in Kilkenny with skull fractures....I'm wondering if perhaps it was a footballer who tweeted at the end of the Belfast trial?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Reports of a laois footballer beaten and now hospitalised in Kilkenny with skull fractures....I'm wondering if perhaps it was a footballer who tweeted at the end of the Belfast trial?

I dont think so.

the injured footballer was reported to have been in his early 20's from graigcullen, whereas the idiot tweeter was a ballylinan man, whos 26/27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I just don't see the huge deal about In-N-Out Burger.... It's good, don't get me wrong.... but it seems to be revered so much, I was expecting something a lot better.

Audience clapping along is very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Audience clapping along is very annoying

d2Pzt8e.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I genuinely thought on Monday when I read that SNCF were striking for three months that is was an April Fools. Alas, it is not and my plans to go to Paris this weekend are screwed.

This is far from the first time French industrial action has affected me - it is bizarre in the extreme the amount that it comes up over there. What I don't get is the amount of public support the strikers always seem to maintain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I genuinely thought on Monday when I read that SNCF were striking for three months that is was an April Fools. Alas, it is not and my plans to go to Paris this weekend are screwed.

This is far from the first time French industrial action has affected me - it is bizarre in the extreme the amount that it comes up over there. What I don't get is the amount of public support the strikers always seem to maintain.

Let them fly business class... [/Marie Antoinette]

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bunch of arseholes. The horrific suggestion that a new SNCF employee might not be guaranteed a job for life and early retirement is so unpalatable that the Arts students are out in force protesting.

Back in your ****ing boxes. Drive your train, read your Chanson de Roland and let people get on with their work.

• Advertisement

Soooooo, Jon Jones has been stripped of his "biggest Muppet in UFC" title and Conor McGregor is now undisputed champ!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's going to be sued left right and centre for this. Two fights called off already due to the smashed window.

Also if he gets convicted of assault, I'm assuming that's his access to America done for. Plonker.

He has somehow managed to absolutely destroy his public image in a year and lost nearly all support. He'll be losing a significant chunk of his money now too.

Buer wrote: »
    He's going to be sued left right and centre for this. Two fights called off already due to the smashed window.

Also if he gets convicted of assault, I'm assuming that's his access to America done for. Plonker.

He has somehow managed to absolutely destroy his public image in a year and lost nearly all support. He'll be losing a significant chunk of his money now too.

It's actually 3 fights now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah, 3 fights although one of those include his mate and it's just called off because he is incredibly fired.

It's all quite fascinating, from a distance. I really feel for the people who were caught up in the whole thing, knowing how badly they are looked after and knowing that this will likely be extremely costly (temporarily, until they sue McGregor of course).

I really hope the main event goes ahead, I'm really looking forward to that one.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I remember when people used to try and convince everyone that he only acted like a knacker to make money. Think we've all since realised that he actually is just a rich knacker.

• Advertisement

He's been charged with assault now apparently. No idea what sort of sanctions that carries. Could he be looking at jail?

It's surely going to cost him millions in lawsuits and possibly even more expensive for him will be lost earnings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Can we stop them at Dublin airport and turn them away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

In Conors defence, storming the building and throwing sh!te at the bus was his only course of action available to him
    Not like he is (well, lets be honest, "was")in a profession where he could organise a fight with Khabib in a legal matter to sort out this silly "beef"
    awec wrote: »
    I remember when people used to try and convince everyone that he only acted like a knacker to make money. Think we've all since realised that he actually is just a rich knacker.

..dude.. you're a mod...

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

wp_rathead wrote: »
    In Conors defence, storming the building and throwing sh!te at the bus was his only course of action available to him
    Not like he is (well, lets be honest, "was")in a profession where he could organise a fight with Khabib in a legal matter to sort out this silly "beef"

..dude.. you're a mod...
    I don't mean traveller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Or he could have just done nothing and carried on as normal?

mfceiling wrote: »
    Or he could have just done nothing and carried on as normal?

No chance. It was the only possible course of action. There was literally nothing else he could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Does knacker mean traveller in Ireland??

Sexton has taken a few knocks to the nut but not the nuts i see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

swiwi_ wrote: »

I don't think that is a perfect correlation, where I cam from it did not specifically mean member of the travelling community. You could be one without being the other basically. It's more derogatory than traveler, tinker etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I was always under the impression that that's exactly where it came from originally, but that it has since evolved to describe a type of behaviour. Kind of like that South Park episode where the kids started using the word "fag" to describe the bikers that showed up in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

No chance. It was the only possible course of action. There was literally nothing else he could do.
    I'm waaaaay out of the loop on this one. Was there some impediment to him defending his title? From what I've read, he's not fought since the Mayweather mllions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I'm waaaaay out of the loop on this one. Was there some impediment to him defending his title? From what I've read, he's not fought since the Mayweather mllions.

They're both being very sarcastic.

No, there was no impediment, he has never defended a title.

The Mayweather fight itself was an impediment I guess, but a self-inflicted one.

Hence the jokes like "If they turned Artem Lobov into a belt, maybe McGregor would defend one" and "This morning in court will be McGregor's first ever defense"

Bazzo wrote: »

Oh yeah!

Bazzo wrote: »
    Well the knacker thing I get. I don't have any interest in UFC, mostly because of the sheer exploitative nature of the 'game'. The irony of them being referred to as 'gladiators' from time to time is ironic. ;)

Well the knacker thing I get. I don't have any interest in UFC, mostly because of the sheer exploitative nature of the 'game'. The irony of them being referred to as 'gladiators' from time to time is ironic. ;)

Well from that angle, consider that the people whose fights have been cancelled currently have absolutely no guarrantee that they will be paid a penny. Guys who were scheduled to fight the people who were pulled are currently still trying to make weight so that they can weigh in and hopefully get something. Insane situation to be in.

Well from that angle, consider that the people whose fights have been cancelled currently have absolutely no guarrantee that they will be paid a penny. Guys who were scheduled to fight the people who were pulled are currently still trying to make weight so that they can weigh in and hopefully get something. Insane situation to be in.
    Absolutely. It just makes a shameful episode even more so. The only people who will suffer from this are the injured guys and the lads who were scheduled to fight them. And of course McGregor will be rehabilitated whenever it's deemed necessary to boost the coffers even more.

Sexton has taken a few knocks to the nut but not the nuts i see.

Depends on what they're into...

Depends on what they're into...

And whether there are any incriminating private WhatsApp messages I suppose...

• Advertisement

It's more of a catch-all term for anti social degenerate these days.

And whether there are any incriminating private WhatsApp messages I suppose...

I'll premptively crowd fund a half page add in the indo demanding he is dropped by Leinster and Ireland.

So, poor Sergio Garcia managed to break a new record in Augusta yesterday. Kind of gives you hope if pros are taking 13 shots to finish a hole. :D

Nice to see that the banks learned their lessons when we bought their debts and will never make the same mistakes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

stephen_n wrote: »
    Nice to see that the banks learned their lessons when we bought their debts and will never make the same mistakes again.

It's just 1 lender (not a bank, but a small time organisation that deals solely in mortgages) offering the interest only mortgages to a sub-section of the market. There's no sign of any other banks doing the same or it being expanded to the wider market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Advertisement

Believed to be under the influence of huge doses of Conor McGregor at the time

:pac:

molloyjh wrote: »
    It's just 1 lender (not a bank, but a small time organisation that deals solely in mortgages) offering the interest only mortgages to a sub-section of the market. There's no sign of any other banks doing the same or it being expanded to the wider market.

ICS is a trading name for a company called Dilosk, who's directors are linked to Belfius Bank and Insurance in Belgium. Funnily enough that bank was bailed out by the Belgian people to the tune of 4 billion. Yet probably managed to come up with the 1 billion to buy up ICS's mortgage book. That type of product should be banned, particularly given the lack of housing available. Toe in the water perhaps, if they get a successful foothold in the sub prime market then it could lead to the other banks following suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Poor Dana, now the Khabib v Max fight is off
    Apparently gonna be Khabib v Pettis now
    Pettis was meant to fight Chiesa but Chiesa got cut up from the bus window that Conor smashed
    bonkers

Poor Dana, now the Khabib v Max fight is off
    Apparently gonna be Khabib v Pettis now
    Pettis was meant to fight Chiesa but Chiesa got cut up from the bus window that Conor smashed
    bonkers

The only way to resolve this mess is a run of highly lucrative grudge matches.

“Celebrity” death match

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement