Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

I think it's been mentioned here before, possibly by swiwi, but if you haven't seen it watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople. It's on Netflix and it's absolutely brilliant so funny and charming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The Masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

mfceiling wrote: »
    The Masters.

Ridiculously good golf. Hope they can keep it up tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

"good golf" ...that's an oxymoron in my book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

"good golf" ...that's an oxymoron in my book
    Wouldn't be too many reading that book. :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Kimi Raikonnen knocked down one of his mechanics during a pit stop today.

His respinse when asked about it? "The light went green, its my job to move off when the light is green"

Empathy

www.google.ie/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/943180/Kimi-Raikkonen-Ferrari-mechanic-broken-Bahrain-Grand-Prix-F1-news-Sebastian-Vettel/amp

Stheno wrote: »

His respinse when asked about it? "The light went green, its my job to move off when the light is green"

Empathy

www.google.ie/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/943180/Kimi-Raikkonen-Ferrari-mechanic-broken-Bahrain-Grand-Prix-F1-news-Sebastian-Vettel/amp

Yeah, was watching it, his car pulled off..he stopped and had to walk back to the out lane...had a quick word with the team director...and walked off down the passage...all the while the mechanic on the ground 25 feet away writhing in pain... proper gentleman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

finns are an odd bunch

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Wouldn't be too many reading that book. :p

I have no real time for the sport, a waste of a good walk and all that... but it definitely a bandwagon sport.. I find once Northern Ireland's McIlroy falls away my feed goes quiet... thankfully ;)

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Seems McIlroy has the same mental fragility as the Ulster team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »

You say that after a great Ulster win at the weekend? You miserable bollix. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Fair play to TG4 for their coverage of the Hurling final. The use of a split screen was clever. Allowing replays to be shown whilst covering the live action.
    They also had a camera positioned high behind the goal covering the puck outs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

OldRio wrote: »
    Fair play to TG4 for their coverage of the Hurling final. The use of a split screen was clever. Allowing replays to be shown whilst covering the live action.
    They also had a camera positioned high behind the goal covering the puck outs.

We don't deserve TG4's sports coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

awec wrote: »

Off topic thread. Next mention of rugby's a paddlin'... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Stheno wrote: »

Empathy

Kimi gonna Kimi.

In fairness when he was walking back to the pits he did stop to look over, I presume to see what had happened.

I would say knowing Kimi he’s just pissed at the team for creating an unsafe situation for everyone.

Their pit release system needs looking at, the green light implies if a wheel is tightened, not if it’s been replaced. Big gap in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

.ak wrote: »
    Kimi gonna Kimi.

In fairness when he was walking back to the pits he did stop to look over, I presume to see what had happened.

I would say knowing Kimi he’s just pissed at the team for creating an unsafe situation for everyone.

Their pit release system needs looking at, the green light implies if a wheel is tightened, not if it’s been replaced. Big gap in the process.

Did Kimi even know he'd hit the mechanic. He was just told stop. And usually the mechanics would run out and wheel his car back. He probably didn't know what was happening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

.ak wrote: »

That would be a pretty ****ty excuse for not checking on the guy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ugh, just spent the last hour having a 1-on-1 session with someone to go over results from my MBTI test. It got slightly awkward when I kept bringing up how I thought the whole concept was a pile of smelly **** and we may as well discuss my star sign.

It bothers me immensely that people at a management level ever put any kind of faith or trust in this wankery.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ugh, just spent the last hour having a 1-on-1 session with someone to go over results from my MBTI test. It got slightly awkward when I kept bringing up how I thought the whole concept was a pile of smelly **** and we may as well discuss my star sign.

It bothers me immensely that people at a management level ever put any kind of faith or trust in this wankery.

It often depends on the tests themselves. I've never been a fan of the MB stuff myself, but I (and everyone I worked with at the time) did do an EQI test last year that was quite in depth and very accurate. We all agreed it was very useful. MB is far too high level to be hugely meaningful in my experience.

• Advertisement

My employer wanted to do these a while ago. I said no. They have enough personal data of mine without letting them know I'm a psychopath with murderous tendencies who dreams of going postal in the office on an hourly basis. I'm entitled to my privacy, like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Ooooh! I have just seen one of the first patients placed on the Glivec (imatinib) trial back in 2001. This medication is for patients with chronic myeloid leukaemia, which back in 2001 had a life expectancy of < 5 years, unless you underwent bone marrow transplantation.

And here we are in 2018, with the patient alive and well.

I hadn't even finished university in 2001, and I remember this medication being the new wonder drug. One of the greatest medical discoveries of the 20th century.

Smile on the dial, I must say.

Amazing to hear

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Was listening to Tommie Gorman on Morning Ireland talking about the Good Friday Agreement. I never realised that the cancer he was diagnosed with in 1994 was incurable and he still has it. Has to have treatment and surgery regularly to keep it at bay. Mad stuff.

molloyjh wrote: »
    It often depends on the tests themselves. I've never been a fan of the MB stuff myself, but I (and everyone I worked with at the time) did do an EQI test last year that was quite in depth and very accurate. We all agreed it was very useful. MB is far too high level to be hugely meaningful in my experience.

For the "unoffice" "unacronym" brigade....what are EQI and MB tests?

Pseudo-psychology

• Advertisement

It's basically confirmation bias dressed up as tarot card reading.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Emotional quotient intelligence (i think) how warm and fluffy you are basically.

Mb is myers briggs its a personality test where you end up as one of 16 types

So it's basically crap?

I like being self employed cause I know that I'm already crazy and that's something everyone else has to live with.

So it's basically crap?

I like being self employed cause I know that I'm already crazy and that's something everyone else has to live with.

It can have uses. My personality is both introvert and judging and knowing that has been useful

So it's basically crap?

It's a good way for you to tell management what you already know about yourself.

Most of the MB questions have a sort of obvious angle to them, so if you're a lone wolf IT hot shot and you'd rather be left to your own devices, you can sort of answer in a way that gives you an INTJ type (Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking and Judging). Maybe HR see that and stop trying to force you into teams.

That is basically my only use for it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Psychometric testing is fine for a very broad baseline of human behavior. Though as it is subject to a huge amount of perception bias, it’s more a toy than a scientific tool. It’s only really popular with HR staff, because most of them did a psychology degree before realizing it was fundamentally useless.

errlloyd wrote: »
    It's a good way for you to tell management what you already know about yourself.

Most of the MB questions have a sort of obvious angle to them, so if you're a lone wolf IT hot shot and you'd rather be left to your own devices, you can sort of answer in a way that gives you an INTJ type (Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking and Judging). Maybe HR see that and stop trying to force you into teams.

That is basically my only use for it anyway.

It's collecting personal data for unknown purposes that can be used at any time in the future. I was being flippant earlier, but I have refused to do in-house psychometric testing before. I realise if you're going for a job you haven't much choice, but once in a job they can get stuffed. I've had ample experience of how utterly useless and inept our HR dept is so there's no way I'm giving them more of my personal data.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Only marginally less ****ing stupid than graphology then.

Zzippy wrote: »
    It's collecting personal data for unknown purposes that can be used at any time in the future. I was being flippant earlier, but I have refused to do in-house psychometric testing before. I realise if you're going for a job you haven't much choice, but once in a job they can get stuffed. I've had ample experience of how utterly useless and inept our HR dept is so there's no way I'm giving them more of my personal data.

I'm emailing this to your HR department.

I'm emailing this to your HR department.

Nothing I haven't told them before! ;)

Only marginally less ****ing stupid than graphology then.
    HR departments love it. Beats having to talk to people and having to do any real work or gain any real insights. :rolleyes:

MB tries to categorise people into nice neat little boxes with some really basic high level questions. It gives you no real insight into your personality.

The EQI thing I did was far more comprehensive and didn’t try and box people off. Instead it just examined your abilities in various areas he as empathy, logical thinking, social responsibility etc. I initially thought it was another MB type waste of time, but it hit the nail very much in the head for everyone, some uncomfortable truths included.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Just drove through Bray and every second lamppost has a no campaign poster. Not one yes campaign poster in the entire town. The No campaign are definitely winnng this from a funding perspective.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Just drove through Bray and every second lamppost has a no campaign poster. Not one yes campaign poster in the entire town. The No campaign are definitely winnng this from a funding perspective.

The yes campaign only started fundraising for those posters yesterday, and they've done pretty well to be fair. €312,000 as of now. That's a lot of dead tree and ink!

I just don't get posters. They're a little bit useful for local elections, where potentially new members of the constituency don't even know the names of the councillors and could benefit a bit from the reminder.

But this is a referendum. What are the posters meant to be. Some sort of dick measuring competitions to show who got more money from US interest groups. No one is going to make a decision on whether they think its a baby or bunch of cells based on a red poster that says vote no.

• Advertisement

I just don't get posters. They're a little bit useful for local elections, where potentially new members of the constituency don't even know the names of the councillors and could benefit a bit from the reminder.

But this is a referendum. What are the posters meant to be. Some sort of dick measuring competitions to show who got more money from US interest groups. No one is going to make a decision on whether they think its a baby or bunch of cells based on a red poster that says vote no.

Yeah I'm completely with you there.

I donated because I'm sound and also definitely not a dickhead because I have cool and trendy beliefs, but I have to wonder if the marginal benefit between €100,000 and €200,000 on posters might pale in comparison to other potential avenues. Surely there's some dodgy Canadian digital PR company we could be giving this money to!

The yes campaign only started fundraising for those posters yesterday, and they've done pretty well to be fair. €312,000 as of now. That's a lot of dead tree and ink!
    Posters are made from corrugated plastic now. No trees have to die any more. :p

I think you're looking at this through the prism of rational thinking. Some people who are on the fence may only need a little nudge in one direction or the other. Tugging at heart strings with emotive imagery and language can do just that for a lot of people, regardless of fact or reason. And this may come down to that couple of percent one way or the other....

I think you're looking at this through the prism of rational thinking. Some people who are on the fence may only need a little nudge in one direction or the other. Tugging at heart strings with emotive imagery and language can do just that for a lot of people, regardless of fact or reason. And this may come down to that couple of percent one way or the other....

Yeah, but nowadays there are far, far more efficient ways of delivering emotive imagery and language to people and even accounting for their engagement with it. There's an entire industry around it, which employs extremely attractive and cool people.

I'd be fairly happy if we banned or heavily restricted election posters in referendums. I don't think people should vote on something this emotive based on what on a lamppost tells them. More importantly though, I don't think the posters are aiming to convince people of the merit of their side, they're aiming to convince people of the popularity and power of their side. The poster arms race is volume rather than quality.

Yeah I'm completely with you there.

I donated because I'm sound and also definitely not a dickhead because I have cool and trendy beliefs, but I have to wonder if the marginal benefit between €100,000 and €200,000 on posters might pale in comparison to other potential avenues. Surely there's some dodgy Canadian digital PR company we could be giving this money to!

I'm already sick of sponsored posts ads popping up on my FB feed for the no campaign. I report them as inappropriate to me but they keep popping up. As far as I can see the no campaign is already spending heavily on social media targeting.

Zzippy wrote: »
    I'm already sick of sponsored posts ads popping up on my FB feed for the no campaign. I report them as inappropriate to me but they keep popping up. As far as I can see the no campaign is already spending heavily on social media targeting.

Spotted a few of those myself.

The most notable part of either campaign I've seen out and about so far are repeal t-shirts and badges. Few pro-life posters on the way into town this week alright.

For the most part though - I'm not touching this debate with either side of a 10 foot barge pole.

Spotted a few of those myself.

The most notable part of either campaign I've seen out and about so far are repeal t-shirts and badges. Few pro-life posters on the way into town this week alright.

For the most part though - I'm not touching this debate with either side of a 10 foot barge poll.

Why?! Do you hate barge polls?!

Why?! Do you hate barge polls?!

It's my barge pole and my choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

I opted out very deliberately from following Irish based news 7 years ago.
    Hence my ignorance on this...but what are current polls suggesting?
    If the vote was held today do we have a fair idea of which way it would go?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement