Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There hasn't been any good rock in a donkey's age. U2 are playing in Boston in June and tickets are still available. They went on sale weeks ago.
    Rock is dying... unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

awec wrote: »
    Some people do though, that’s my point.

Some people think the worlds flat too. Just because a band uses guitars doesn’t make it rock music. Foo Fighters, QTOS etc are rock, Metallica are metal and two door cinema club are pop, oasis are just crap.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Dubinusa wrote: »
    There hasn't been any good rock in a donkey's age. U2 are playing in Boston in June and tickets are still available. They went on sale weeks ago.
    Rock is dying... unfortunately.

See the post above regarding two door cinema club and apply it to U2.

Heavy music isn't dying.People are just sick of being gouged by big business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

there'd probably be better rock music if middle aged dads didn't listen solely to the same few bands for the last 30something years, bands aren't going to innovate if all their fans want to hear are the same albums from when they were younger.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Swan Curry wrote: »
    there'd probably be better rock music if middle aged dads didn't listen solely to the same few bands for the last 30something years, bands aren't going to innovate if all their fans want to hear are the same albums from when they were younger.

The music industry doesn't let them innovate.
    Its actually only the really established bands that are able to experiment and innovate as they already have that core fan base that you are denigrating.
    New bands coming through have to be a hit immediately in today's music industry or they do not survive. The financial contacts simply aren't worth it anymore as the big labels know they aren't getting the same return for produced music, due to the devaluation of music on streaming sites, the collapse of hard copy sales etc.
    Live gigs are the main way for bands now to make money, with the established bands commanding the big purses obviously.

That's the problem with modern rock, not the fact the dads are still listening to their RHCP albums....

Buer wrote: »
    Oasis are the Darren Cave of the music world.

I find this offensive #notmybuer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The music industry doesn't let them innovate.
    Its actually only the really established bands that are able to experiment and innovate as they already have that core fan base that you are denigrating.
    New bands coming through have to be a hit immediately in today's music industry or they do not survive. The financial contacts simply aren't worth it anymore as the big labels know they aren't getting the same return for produced music, due to the devaluation of music on streaming sites, the collapse of hard copy sales etc.
    Live gigs are the main way for bands now to make money, with the established bands commanding the big purses obviously.

That's the problem with modern rock, not the fact the dads are still listening to their RHCP albums....

Or you can skip the industry altogether and do what you want. Dublin has vibrant DIY music scenes for all genres filled with artists not giving a **** about the big business end of the deal. Fair enough, they won't make much of a living right now, but I really believe that the music industry will be drastically changed in the next few years. Spotify, pandora etc. are far from the solution but they're a step in the right direction.

Take a look at services along the lines of https://d.tube for options that pay the artists properly. Blockchain! YEOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

When the Foo Fighters are good, they are really good. The problem is that most of the time they aren't.

Oasis were proper garbage though. 3 chord wonders with crap song writing, no vocal ability and a massive lack of originality.

Rock is in a trough at the moment with the likes of a lot of blues and soul making a big comeback in places. Which is great, because like rock, when that stuff is good it is really good. Acts like Gary Clarke Jr or St Paul and the Broken Bones are class. Rag'n'Bone Man is heavily blues influenced too. Did a great blues EP a few years back.

The way we consume music now is just so totally different too. Things like Spotify have opened up doors for people that wouldn't have been available 10-20 years ago.

molloyjh wrote: »
    When the Foo Fighters are good, they are really good. The problem is that most of the time they aren't.

Oasis were proper garbage though. 3 chord wonders with crap song writing, no vocal ability and a massive lack of originality.

Rock is in a trough at the moment with the likes of a lot of blues and soul making a big comeback in places. Which is great, because like rock, when that stuff is good it is really good. Acts like Gary Clarke Jr or St Paul and the Broken Bones are class. Rag'n'Bone Man is heavily blues influenced too. Did a great blues EP a few years back.

The way we consume music now is just so totally different too. Things like Spotify have opened up doors for people that wouldn't have been available 10-20 years ago.

Molloy moments before he typed this post:

348d9203e47acff693e1139ad4e50fc1--mens-fashion-styles-fashion-men.jpg

• Advertisement

Best not mention the Australian jazz act I've been listening to lately then.... :o

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is funny cause molloyjh actually looks and dresses like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Molloy please recant what you said about Oasis, thanks.

Unsurprising that you’re an Oasis fan.

Unsurprising that you’re an Oasis fan.

I'm actually more a Blur fan, or Radiohead, but they're all good bands with great albums.

I'll go listen to WTSMG now to try and offset molloy's bad juju.

I'm actually more a Blur fan, or Radiohead, but they're all good bands with great albums.

I'll go listen to WTSMG now to try and offset molloy's bad juju.

Blur and Radiohead. Goodness me.

• Advertisement

Blur and Radiohead. Goodness me.

All good bands.

Once you get finished with the new ABBA stuff you should give them a listen!

It very much had to do with a time and place in life, but I loved Definitely Maybe and What's The Story Morning Glory... I always ****ing hated Blur and can't stand Radiohead post-OK Computer. Oasis songs were simple, but I still think some of them were great.

Fairly sure I've trotted this out before, but what a shower of arseholes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I never realised that the Oasis v Blur rivalry was actually a real thing until I came to Ireland. In New Zealand it was viewed as a marketing gimic but having spoken to people who grew up here in the 90s and early 00s, it was real. The fans really bought into it. Bizarre.

That will never happen. But I will agree on Blur and Radiohead (up to OK Computer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Me and IBF vs the rest of you heathens.

Awec you don't count due to your love of Ed Sheeran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Presume the 13 man code of Rugby is Off-Topic but thought this quality finishing was worth sharing.
    https://twitter.com/johnbateman1/status/990666067881193473?s=20

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

molloyjh wrote: »
    That will never happen. But I will agree on Blur and Radiohead (up to OK Computer).

New Radiohead is actually good. It's not acceptable to pull the "I liked them before the were cool card" because it's actually cooler to like them after they were cool. Check at the next communal meeting, it's in the statutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I like Radiohead tunes but **** me their fans are some of the most miserable people on the planet. Saw them in the 3 last year and the crowd had the atmosphere of a funeral.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I like Radiohead tunes but **** me their fans are some of the most miserable people on the planet. Saw them in the 3 last year and the crowd had the atmosphere of a funeral.

Yeah it’s like the Aviva!

mfceiling wrote: »
    Me and IBF vs the rest of you heathens.

Awec you don't count due to your love of Ed Sheeran.

At least Ed Sheeran can sing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ah the good old "The noises I listen to are much cooler than the noises you listen to" debate.

At least Ed Sheeran can sing

He can sing and he can help write songs and he's absolutely loaded. He's obviously seriously compensating for his folicular defect but I'd have no problem with him at all.

Obvously noone will ever reach the musical heights of what Two Door Cinema Club bestowed onto the globe, but he's definitely done well for himself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Buer wrote: »
    Ah the good old "The noises I listen to are much cooler than the noises you listen to" debate.

It's almost as good as the "The 15 men who throw around a ball that I like are better than the 15 men who throw around a ball that you like" debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ed Sheeran's great, he seems like an all round good bloke who's really enjoying what he does.

I don't like some of his stuff but Castle on the Hill is a great song, a great song.

• Advertisement

If you're looking for old school theatrics, Ghost seem to be serving it up in spades these days.

Not even sure I like the bad that much, but wanna go see em for the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If you listen to a full Radiohead album, you’ll be ****ing miserable too. Good music but more depressing than being an Ulster fan at play off time.

Ed Sheeran does my head in.

It's like him and Adele were put on this earth with the sole intention of pìssing me off.
    His appeal is right from 6 year old girls (I'm including awec in this category), middle aged housewives (awec is also in this category) through to blue rinse grannys (again awec makes this category).

I'd love to see his notebook for his lyric ideas...

Dance through the rain
    Remember when we were 9
    I loved you before I knew you
    My eyes see your love
    Schooldays seems like forever away
    We used to laugh forever
    Who knew my best friend would be my one true love

Feel free to use any of the above shìte Ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

On the music has anyone heard of Lafayette Rock Band? My mate sent me a link last week....they are very good.

Listened to a couple of their tunes last night. They're alright. Sunny weather chill out tunes. I'd probably be allowed to play them at the next BBQ. Remind me a bit of The Roots and De La Soul.

The bands that have been getting the most play on my Spotify over the past few weeks are Disturbed and Sabaton. I'm not allowed to play them at the BBQs.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Listened to a couple of their tunes last night. They're alright. Sunny weather chill out tunes. I'd probably be allowed to play them at the next BBQ. Remind me a bit of The Roots and De La Soul.

The bands that have been getting the most play on my Spotify over the past few weeks are Disturbed and Sabaton. I'm not allowed to play them at the BBQs.

The Roots

*Internet high five*

Now they are quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ed Sheeran does my head in.

It's like him and Adele were put on this earth with the sole intention of pìssing me off.
    His appeal is right from 6 year old girls (I'm including awec in this category), middle aged housewives (awec is also in this category) through to blue rinse grannys (again awec makes this category).

I'd love to see his notebook for his lyric ideas...

Dance through the rain
    Remember when we were 9
    I loved you before I knew you
    My eyes see your love
    Schooldays seems like forever away
    We used to laugh forever
    Who knew my best friend would be my one true love

Feel free to use any of the above shìte Ed.

If it cheers you up, I still get Lionel Richie in my head pretty much every time I read one of your posts. Ohhh ohhh what a feeling.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    If it cheers you up, I still get Lionel Richie in my head pretty much every time I read one of your posts. Ohhh ohhh what a feeling.

This?

Just reading up on this cervical check scandal - seriously, how are people not setting fire to parliament buildings over this?

Just reading up on this cervical check scandal - seriously, how are people not setting fire to parliament buildings over this?

Been a ferocious few weeks in work, haven't really had time to get up to speed. What have the parliamentarians done to exacerbate the issue?

• Advertisement

Been a ferocious few weeks in work, haven't really had time to get up to speed. What have the parliamentarians done to exacerbate the issue?

It's just an unforgivable cluster ****. This summary is worth reading; 2014 audit showed 208 women were falsely given the all clear, of which 17 are dead and 162 still to be informed that their original test was a false negative. The woman at the centre of the case (now with under a year to live) had the audit results delayed to her by three years because her GP and the head of the HSE subsidiary argued over who should tell her. Head of the HSE has refused to resign over it, citing that he "can’t take full responsibility for it". In the UK, forget the NHS, they'd be looking for a new health minister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

As a female who has had smear tests done, and is due another soon, it doesn’t inspire much confidence.

Sky Sports lost their La Liga rights. They've lost a serious amount of sporting contracts recently.

Hard to see what they’re going to fill their time slots with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's just an unforgivable cluster ****. This summary is worth reading; 2014 audit showed 208 women were falsely given the all clear, of which 17 are dead and 162 still to be informed that their original test was a false negative. The woman at the centre of the case (now with under a year to live) had the audit results delayed to her by three years because her GP and the head of the HSE subsidiary argued over who should tell her. Head of the HSE has refused to resign over it, citing that he "can’t take full responsibility for it". In the UK, forget the NHS, they'd be looking for a new health minister.
    There's something similar happening in the UK currently. Up to 450,000 women missed breast cancer screening because of an IT error back in 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sullivlo wrote: »
    As a female who has had smear tests done, and is due another soon, it doesn’t inspire much confidence.

My wife is a medical scientist, responsible for quality and safety compliance in her hospital lab. When the national contract was awarded to a US company she declined the free smear test and insisted on paying for a private one. Had concerns over the standard of analysis/staff/training in the US private sector, especially in a company getting the contract on a lowest cost basis. Not going into details, but the test she got showed something that needs to be monitored, which she might never have found out had she relied on the free test. Her advice would be to pay for a private test, for peace of mind alone.

What happened is a scandal and should be a resigning matter for Tony O'Brien at a minimum. For some involved, criminal charges should be considered. There really is no accountability in this country.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There's something similar happening in the UK currently. Up to 450,000 women missed breast cancer screening because of an IT error back in 2009.

The IT glitch in the UK resulted in women not receiving a letter reminding them to come for routine screening. When the error was noted parliament were informed immediately (in March 2018) and it since became public.

In Ireland, the HSE subsidiary had known since 2014 that over 200 women, originally screened and cleared, actually had cancer. We know that in Vicky Phelan's case, she wasn't informed for three years as her GP argued with the HSE over who should tell her. 162 still don't know, 17 are dead. It's far, far worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The IT glitch in the UK resulted in women not receiving a letter reminding them to come for routine screening. When the error was noted parliament were informed immediately (in March 2018) and it since became public.

In Ireland, the HSE subsidiary had known since 2014 that over 200 women, originally screened and cleared, actually had cancer. We know that in Vicky Phelan's case, she wasn't informed for three years as her GP argued with the HSE over who should tell her. 162 still don't know, 17 are dead. It's far, far worse.

That GP should be investigated by the Medical Council, and struck off if found that they violated their duty of care to their patient. Whoever they were arguing with in the HSE should be sacked. So should anyone who had any input into the decision not to tell her. In any other country this would be a resigning matter for the people in charge, right up to the minister. I might give Simon Harris a pass on this, as he was not in charge at the time, but Tony O'Brien, now head of the HSE, was responsible for the decision to move the screening contract offshore 10 years ago, and he's not even been asked to resign??? He should be sacked IMO.

Sorry, sorry, mistake on my part - he was not her GP, he was her gynaecologist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Bus drivers in Japan are on strike. They are still working though, just not collecting fares. :D

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Bus drivers in Japan are on strike. They are still working though, just not collecting fares. :D

Hell of a tactic. Keeps public support while stiffing their employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Hell of a tactic. Keeps public support while stiffing their employer.

Dublin Bus talked about doing this a couple years ago during their strikes but I think they decided against it because there was legal action threatened if they did.

It's possibly the most effective method of protesting against their employer, you don't disrupt the public and turn them against you and your employer is furious because their vehicles are still in use and they're losing revenue.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement