Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

They've done it before, if memory serves. Things have changed now, and they'd be liable, and could be fired straight away if they did the same thing.

That's just what I thought had changed anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

They've done it before, if memory serves. Things have changed now, and they'd be liable, and could be fired straight away if they did the same thing.

That's just what I thought had changed anyways.

Yeah they had done it before a few years back all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Another Northern bigot let loose on a device she has no clue about. How stupid are these people really? What reaction are you expecting? Thankless job being a political PR rep these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Another Northern bigot let loose on a device she has no clue about. How stupid are these people really? What reaction are you expecting? Thankless job being a political PR rep these days
    Eh? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Eh? :confused:

The eloquent Jolene Bunting doing what she does best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yes, a monumentally stupid tweet.

So frustrating that people like her can get elected. Bit like that alt-right Fine Gael chap in Dublin.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    The eloquent Jolene Bunting doing what she does best
    Thanks. See that now. Charming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Possibly one of the most idiotic tweets I've seen, but unfortunately they all seem to try to appeal to their voters with offensive and derogatory things like this.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Politics is against the charter folks. Cease and desist.

Possibly one of the most idiotic tweets I've seen, but unfortunately they all seem to try to appeal to their voters with offensive and derogatory things like this.
    I know you're being helpful, but would it be ok to ask you to delete that image? It's only giving her more publicity and I'm sure that's not your intention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

If anybody has somehow not seen this yet it's well worth a read :D

https://twitter.com/shockproofbeats/status/992006545473966082?s=19

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That is exceptionally funny!

That is exceptionally funny!
    Chap should write a book. His turn of phrase is excellent. Descriptions are priceless. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Chap should write a book. His turn of phrase is excellent. Descriptions are priceless. :D

He's an Irish Times journalist.

The pain trying to hide the laughter last night while the missus slept was unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What am I supposed to be reading on that Twitter thing?

Ah, got it; kept clicking the link in the tweet and landing elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Interesting article by Kimmage on the situation at St. Mary's Athenry regarding their conduct in coaching underage players.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/paul-kimmage-low-lie-the-fields-of-athenry-the-gaa-story-every-parent-will-want-to-read-36879150.html

It raises a real question over the suitability of some to be working with children in terms of understanding their role and requirements which goes beyond simply being willing to work with the players.

As a side note, silly buggers doesn't begin to cover how the club themselves have behaved throughout. With all this said, Kimmage is clearly taking a side in his piece so some of it may need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As the chairman of a junior rugby club that's the stuff of nightmares.

Obviously PK is presenting one side, but the actions and non actions of the athenry executives is flabbergasting.

The way to deal with issues like this is straight up and immediate. Letting them fester is the worst. Unfortunately you'll always get egos who do more damage than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Obviously PK is presenting one side, but the actions and non actions of the athenry executives is flabbergasting.

The part I find genuinely reprehensible is throwing the floor open to others to attend the investigatory meeting which lead to a situation with members of the community being present and admonishing the complainants in public view.
    The conduct of Club members who approached and remonstrated in the hotel foyer with complainants or witnesses, some of whom were X years of age, was at very least unnecessary and in poor taste and at worst could be seen as intimidatory.

A wonderfully successful, community based GAA club being culpable for such behaviour is worrying. It's some of the best and worst aspects of Irish mentality/society at work. If the article is accurate, I imagine the complainants are pariahs in their community now.

US just pulled out of the Iran nuclear deal. Trump is a ****ing idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Was not a very good deal. Obama paid them to behave and they didn't. A bad deal for the sake of a deal is stupid. Renegotiate and get a better more viable deal.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Was not a very good deal. Obama paid them to behave and they didn't. A bad deal for the sake of a deal is stupid. Renegotiate and get a better more viable deal.

What part of the deal do you think is bad specifically and in what way do you feel that Iran haven't been behaving?

He paid them with their own money. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Any time you have to pay and get little in return. The US picked up the tab. Why wasn't it split with the Saudi's, Israelis and the EU. Iran is propped up by Putin and is a state sponsored terrorist organization.
    The check ups times are pre determined and there's no surprise inspections. The mullahs are idiots and have hijacked that nation. They sponsor Hezbollah which has destroyed Lebanon.
    So, it really is not a good deal, imo. It reminds me of Neville Chamberlain negotiating with Hitler. He gave an inch and they took a nice long jaunt.
    But it's only my opinion, carry on.

Any time you have to pay and get little in return. The US picked up the tab. Why wasn't it split with the Saudi's, Israelis and the EU. Iran is propped up by Putin and is a state sponsored terrorist organization.
    The check ups times are pre determined and there's no surprise inspections. The mullahs are idiots and have hijacked that nation. They sponsor Hezbollah which has destroyed Lebanon.
    So, it really is not a good deal, imo. It reminds me of Neville Chamberlain negotiating with Hitler. He gave an inch and they took a nice long jaunt.
    What did the US pay? Afaik, they unfroze Iranian funds in US banks.

Edit: Actually it was money Iran had paid for US military equipment back in 1979 but the hardware was never delivered because of the revolution.

• Advertisement

They also sent hundreds of millions. I can't remember the amount, but it was a lot.

They also sent hundreds of millions. I can't remember the amount, but it was a lot.
    Yes. It was $1.7 billion which Iran had paid the US for military equipment in 1979 but never got the hardware.

You came up with the above on your own?

What do you mean?

So basically, tell a lie enough times and as loud as you can and eventually people will see it as the truth. What a time to be alive. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Whos lying?

Whos lying?
    All those who are saying the USA piad Iran for the nuclear deal. They paid them alright, except it was with their own money that the US had held for almost 40 years.

Right, it was frozen. But if the inspectors are not allowed access at non disclosed times, it's a bad deal. The inspectors should have carte blanche access. If the Iranians were more open to easy access it would certainly make it worthwhile, however, showing and permitting access at their convenience is of no benefit. Again, just my opinion. I still believe the only way forward with Iran is through Putin and China. It's a situation where Putin is so involved that they all should have a summit and go from there. It's like Potemkin in the early Russia, show them what they want to see. I hope I'm explaining it well.

Right, it was frozen. But if the inspectors are not allowed access at non disclosed times, it's a bad deal. The inspectors should have carte blanche access. If the Iranians were more open to easy access it would certainly make it worthwhile, however, showing and permitting access at their convenience is of no benefit. Again, just my opinion. I still believe the only way forward with Iran is through Putin and China. It's a situation where Putin is so involved that they all should have a summit and go from there. It's like Potemkin in the early Russia, show them what they want to see. I hope I'm explaining it well.
    Rather than wasting everyone's time, I suggest you fact check all of the above. Because even with my liimited knowledge, I know most of it's untrue. As was the statement about paying them.

There are people who want a war with Iran. At all costs. That should worry you.

Do you by any chance watch Fox "News"?

Any research that I have read has been inconsistent. I have read that the inspectors are denied access routinely and only have access with the mullahs blessing and at reserves times. Iran is closed state and are influenced by Russia. That's a fact. Iran is also propping up the Syrian regime, that's a fact. Russia is also backing the Syrian regime and supporting the Iranian meddling in Syria.
    As far as fact checking, who do we trust? BBC? CNN? NY Times? FOX. Facts sometimes depend on who is reporting them. I can only go by the crap I have access to over here. Perhaps the news outlets in Europe are more reliable. The world is very complicated and politics divisive right now. As I said earlier the deal should be better for everyone, especially the neighbouring states, so it must be transparent and open and not just a deal for the sake of a deal. The middle east is combustible, as always and any deal made should be made with Irans neighbors st the table as well as the superstars

No. Haven't watched any news shows in a long time. I read the local papers. Used to watch BBC America but that's shyte too. There isn't much choice really except c spam. But who could suffer through 24 hrs of political horsetrading?

Any research that I have read has been inconsistent. I have read that the inspectors are denied access routinely and only have access with the mullahs blessing and at reserves times. Iran is closed state and are influenced by Russia. That's a fact. Iran is also propping up the Syrian regime, that's a fact. Russia is also backing the Syrian regime and supporting the Iranian meddling in Syria.
    As far as fact checking, who do we trust? BBC? CNN? NY Times? FOX. Facts sometimes depend on who is reporting them. I can only go by the crap I have access to over here. Perhaps the news outlets in Europe are more reliable. The world is very complicated and politics divisive right now. As I said earlier the deal should be better for everyone, especially the neighbouring states, so it must be transparent and open and not just a deal for the sake of a deal. The middle east is combustible, as always and any deal made should be made with Irans neighbors st the table as well as the superstars

The US state department denied that Iran was in breach of the agreement. It said so less than 2 months ago.

Leaders of European countries have said the same. You don't need to believe the media, just read what world leaders are saying.

This is a bad result mostly for Iran. They struggle with fundamentalism and when the west pushes them away like Trump is doing, the hardliners win at a time when Women in Iran were starting to push for greater freedoms.

You don't need to go to any news sites. The IAEA publish all their inspection data.

But here's the thing. Breaking the deal means there's no deal, which means the Iranians can go ahead and start creating fissionable material without any delays or inspections.

What does that achieve?

You don't need to go to any news sites. The IAEA publish all their inspection data.

But here's the thing. Breaking the deal means there's no deal, which means the Iranians can go ahead and start creating fissionable material without any delays or inspections.

What does that achieve?

It provides a reason to invade/strike first

• Advertisement

I think the most important consideration for Trump was not whether Iran were complying with the deal, or whether inspectors were getting access, or whether the other countries involved agreed with him. It was simply the fact that this deal was a notable achievement of the Obama administration. We are dealing with a vindictive man-child who has no comprehension or regard for politics, diplomacy, peace or international relations. All he cares about is enriching himself and destroying the legacy of Obama.

Good info, thanks. I just read on Sunday, Netanyahu claimed the deal has been violated? It was on my phone newsfeed. I think it was from Yahoo.
    I still think the best deal should involve the neighbouring states. They will bear the brunt
    I also really feel for the regular Iranian and Syrian. Terrible times we live in.
    On another topic... I watched the epl match on NBC sports this past weekend. Chelsea v Liverpool and I thought it was a dull tedious game. Liverpool looked disjointed and had very little skill, imo.
    When I was growing up, Liverpool and Leeds were unbelievably good. Almost every match I've seen this past few months have been very poor. British football is pedestrian and boring.
    2 weeks ago I watched Bayern v Borussia . Total step up in class. Absolute cracker from Bayern. The difference was to me stunning. Although that the only Bundesliga match I've seen, I thought the quality was superior. Is the EPL that poor?

It provides a reason to invade/strike first
    Yeah. That's it in a nutshell. It would really be nice if those who are clamouring for a war, could be dropped into the war zone and left to fight it out to their heart's content,

Yeah. That's it in a nutshell. It would really be nice if those who are clamouring for a war, could be dropped into the war zone and left to fight it out to their heart's content,

and cadet bonespurs should be the first one pushed out of the plane

Good info, thanks. I just read on Sunday, Netanyahu claimed the deal has been violated? It was on my phone newsfeed. I think it was from Yahoo.
    His claim is based on documents that Mossad stole from Iran. Documents that date back to 2003 and which in any case are not seen as breaches of the agreement. They had a nuclear program in the past and the documents relate to that. Everyone knew of their existence. Even the Israelis are split on this. It's not the smoking gun he's trying to make it seem.

I doubt there would be an invasion of Iran. That would be ludicrous and beyond stupid. That's throwing a lighted match on petrol. I haven't heard anything about any invasion or any kind of military action. Is there any talk of that in Europe?
    The American people are sick of war and would not support any invasion of Iran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I doubt there would be an invasion of Iran. That would be ludicrous and beyond stupid. That's throwing a lighted match on petrol. I haven't heard anything about any invasion or any kind of military action. Is there any talk of that in Europe?

John Bolton wants war, he's the National Security Advisor of the United States

Iraq was invaded on the back of a bunch of lies. The current administration is building another mountain of lies. Where do you think that's leading?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

State sponsored terrorism? Which state funded and trained the mujahadeen, which became the Taliban and then Alqaeeda? Which state sponsored and trained ISIS to overthrow the government in Syria? Which state gives 15 billion a year in military aid to Israel, to destabilize the region?

• Advertisement

You don't think there is any chance of war despite Isreal firing missiles at Iranian troups in Syria within hours of Trumps announcement?

You are in America right? Do you know the current national security adviser has written extensively on his desire for first strikes on Iran and North Korea?

He wrote this piece as the final passages of the current agreement were being drafted. He predicted a nuclearisation of the middle east, when in fact the agreement has been adhered to by all parties bar the US yesterday and the opposite of his predictions have come true.

I'm just going to be honest with you - your posts smack of the same kind of dangerous misinformation and misdirection that got Trump elected in the first place. Maybe I'll give his lawyer a few hundred grand and I can tell Trump myself over McDonalds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement