Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

mfceiling wrote: »
    Lads anyone know the crack using your phone abroad? I'm heading to france at the end of next week and was wondering what is the story with data usage. I'm with 3 and have the full unlimited package (data, texts and calls).
    It'll be handy to use the phone as a sat nav as we get in quite late on the Saturday night and I don't fancy driving around the hills beyond Nice in the dark with no idea where I am!!

I'd get all the offline maps saved that I can, just in case. I'm with 3 and found whatever partner they have in Portugal to be utter ****e.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lads anyone know the crack using your phone abroad? I'm heading to france at the end of next week and was wondering what is the story with data usage. I'm with 3 and have the full unlimited package (data, texts and calls).
    It'll be handy to use the phone as a sat nav as we get in quite late on the Saturday night and I don't fancy driving around the hills beyond Nice in the dark with no idea where I am!!

maps dont eat too much data....... (5mb / hr average)

stay off the choice movies and yer grand ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

awec wrote: »
    The Thai cave thing has made me watch loads of caving videos on youtube. I have come to the conclusion that the people who do this are actually not right in the head.

Was reading about a guy who died because he tried to go through a tunnel so small that he sucked in his chest, but when it expanded again he was wedged. His arms were wedged behind him and he couldn't move. Was also in an upside down position. Died after 28 hours, rescuers couldn't unstick him. They couldn't even get him out when he was dead, just sealed up the cave with him inside. Name was John Jones.

I was sweating just reading about it. Can you imagine being stuck in a pitch black tunnel where you cannot move an inch, not even rotate.

The Nutty Putty cave. I watched a youtube video of someone going through it and nearly had a heart attack.

Don't remotely get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

errlloyd wrote: »
    bilston wrote: »
    Talking of phones I'm trying to decide between the S9 and the Huawei P20. I've been a Samsung man since the S3. Maybe time for a change. Anyone have either phone?

I have the S9 plus and I am a bit of a consumer tech nerd. I love it. The battery could be better, but everything else is amazing. I don't think the battery is necessarily worse than anything else.

Camera is stunning. Iphone users (who have great cameras) are consistently impressed by the quality.

The camera is probably the main selling point for me. Different reviews seem.to come to different conclusions on which is best.

I've read that parts of the S9 screen isn't reactive to touch??? That seems a bit odd.

Interesting, I came from the S7 Edge. Whats your big problem with the S8? A lot of my friends have it and really like it.

I've had a lot of issues with it, some of it might have been bad luck but much of it is functional.

I hate bixby, you can't uninstall it you can just basically turn if completely off, but first you have to go through the process of signing up and setting it up on your phone. Which I did, then I deleted my account. Few updates later?

GaseousSnarlingArrowcrab-size_restricted.gif

I never submerged it in water (it's meant to be waterproof afaik) yet one day it started saying moisture in the USB port. From there, I could only charge it for over a week by turning it off, plugging it in then turning it on again. I tried to reset USB settings and then a load of other stuff stopped working. For no reason the phone was a disaster for two weeks then worked fine again. According to the interweb's it's regular issue.

The thumbscan unlock is worse than the S6 which was highly reliable. It turns on all the time in my pocket, but never when I need it to. I find I miss-type on it more than any previous handset, predictive typing is poor, It actually drives me nuts that it's so unpredictable. I've looked into changing the typing app but haven't gotten around to it. This is the first samsung since the s4 that I've had trouble using the wifi hub, connection issues and regularly disconnects. I don't like the bottom menu, I find that just using your phone you regularly 'alt tab' or minimise because of their placement, but it's a pain in the face to have it manually minimised and have to drag it up.

The battery is fine until you are under 30% whereupon it last about 1/4 the time of the first 30%, it's highly inaccurate.

Maybe I got a bad handset, but I probably am done with samsung for now and I'll move all the company handsets to something else moving forward most likely.

The moisture in the USB port is an issue I had for about two weeks on my S7 edge. My mate gave me a spare wireless charger, but it was really really slow. Luckily enough the USB port seemed to work ok again after a couple of weeks. Now though it's pretty much banjaxed again and it takes 7 or 8 hours to charge my phone fully. I can uograde again in a month so will just have to put up with it in the meantime.

I think it's free (or at least no extra cost) with 3 when you're abroad (if certain mainly western countries).

I think it's free (or at least no extra cost) with 3 when you're abroad (if certain mainly western countries).

It's all of the eu

Talking of phones I'm trying to decide between the S9 and the Huawei P20. I've been a Samsung man since the S3. Maybe time for a change. Anyone have either phone?

do you use google assistant much? I have a Mate 10 Pro and assistant doesn't work on it due to some issue with play services and huawei

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/websearch/wDeDawXDcRM

Edit: just got an update that actually seems to have fixed this issue

Ironically I've only started to recently and that was probably triggered by getting an Alexa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I've had a lot of issues with it, some of it might have been bad luck but much of it is functional.

I hate bixby, you can't uninstall it you can just basically turn if completely off, but first you have to go through the process of signing up and setting it up on your phone. Which I did, then I deleted my account. Few updates later?

I never submerged it in water (it's meant to be waterproof afaik) yet one day it started saying moisture in the USB port. From there, I could only charge it for over a week by turning it off, plugging it in then turning it on again. I tried to reset USB settings and then a load of other stuff stopped working. For no reason the phone was a disaster for two weeks then worked fine again. According to the interweb's it's regular issue.

The thumbscan unlock is worse than the S6 which was highly reliable. It turns on all the time in my pocket, but never when I need it to. I find I miss-type on it more than any previous handset, predictive typing is poor, It actually drives me nuts that it's so unpredictable. I've looked into changing the typing app but haven't gotten around to it. This is the first samsung since the s4 that I've had trouble using the wifi hub, connection issues and regularly disconnects. I don't like the bottom menu, I find that just using your phone you regularly 'alt tab' or minimise because of their placement, but it's a pain in the face to have it manually minimised and have to drag it up.

The battery is fine until you are under 30% whereupon it last about 1/4 the time of the first 30%, it's highly inaccurate.

Maybe I got a bad handset, but I probably am done with samsung for now and I'll move all the company handsets to something else moving forward most likely.

Hmm weird. I got an app that rebound bixby to skip track. I don't actually use fingerprint unlock, just the face scan or my pin. And I use swiftkey as my keyboard. So I guess I've just avoided those issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The Thai cave thing has made me watch loads of caving videos on youtube. I have come to the conclusion that the people who do this are actually not right in the head.

Was reading about a guy who died because he tried to go through a tunnel so small that he sucked in his chest, but when it expanded again he was wedged. His arms were wedged behind him and he couldn't move. Was also in an upside down position. Died after 28 hours, rescuers couldn't unstick him. They couldn't even get him out when he was dead, just sealed up the cave with him inside. Name was John Jones.

I was sweating just reading about it. Can you imagine being stuck in a pitch black tunnel where you cannot move an inch, not even rotate.

Prop friendly, that pursuit be not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Same problems venjur. I get the moisture crap too. I went and got a new charger and now it's grand, fingers crossed.
    Bixby is like a bad horror movie. I just ignore it. But reading all your posts, I haven't a clue what you're talking about.
    What's Google's phone called? I didn't hear about it.
    Most likely apple will be my next phone. Change is good or so they say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I have an iPhone through work. They're grand but the battery degrades ridiculously quickly. It's possibly bad luck but with every single one I've had after a year the battery is appalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I have an iPhone through work. They're grand but the battery degrades ridiculously quickly. It's possibly bad luck but with every single one I've had after a year the battery is appalling.
    Yeah. My wife has had iPhones from work since the iPhone 4. The battery life has been appalling on all of them.

I know it's dead and gone and never really took off, but the Windows phones were the best I ever had. Great battery life, fantastic cameras and although apps were limited, from a business point of view, they were brilliant.

The new Nokia phones seem to be very good. My son has a Nokia 8 and it's a very good phone. The camera is excellent although the kind of control you have over its settings is a bit meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s all EU countries, something else you are going to lose after Brexit probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Was reading an article there about those reusable coffee cups you can buy, does anyone use one? I buy at least one coffee a day, and probably should switch to one but the thoughts of having to clean it puts me off

I have the same phone. You need to get swiftkey. Bixby is so ****ing annoying. I used to root all my old android to remove all that bloatware but I'm not arsed these days. And a button dedicated to Bixby?! More difficult to remove. The finger print scanner is completely useless as is the edge menu. I didn't realise how unhappy I am with this phone until you pointed all this out.

I have the same phone. You need to get swiftkey. Bixby is so ****ing annoying. I used to root all my old android to remove all that bloatware but I'm not arsed these days. And a button dedicated to Bixby?! More difficult to remove. The finger print scanner is completely useless as is the edge menu. I didn't realise how unhappy I am with this phone until you pointed all this out.

I actually love the edge panel. I have my ten most used apps there and it's dead handy to just one swipe them click to move between them.

I actually love the edge panel. I have my ten most used apps there and it's dead handy to just one swipe them click to move between them.

I use very few apps to be honest, just a handful for work but I have them all on my main screen. I've two screens only, one for work and one for home as I use this phone for everything (can't be bothered with two phones).

I still think Samsung peaked with the S6 and have been trying too hard since then.

I'll absolutely never get an iphone as I want to be able to use my phone as a hard drive and a media drive (always max out the storage capacity).

But as Partyjungle said - Bixby alone is enough for me to drop the handset, it's absolute ****e and very hard to remove and is a complete waste of a button (the location of which means that bixby turns itself on by accident all the time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Android FTW...

*posted from my Galaxy S5 (now on its 3rd battery)*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don't know what a bixby is, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask

Just spotted this on the politics forum (no it's not politics). Anyone with a qualification obtained in the UK needs to think about getting recognition of it here before March 29th 2019. https://ec.europa.eu/growth/content/brexit-%E2%80%93-guidance-stakeholders-impact-field-regulated-professions-and-recognition_en.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Just spotted this on the politics forum (no it's not politics). Anyone with a qualification obtained in the UK needs to think about getting recognition of it here before March 29th 2019. https://ec.europa.eu/growth/content/brexit-%E2%80%93-guidance-stakeholders-impact-field-regulated-professions-and-recognition_en.
    Wouldn't even know where to start.

Wouldn't even know where to start.
    From my reading of the document, if your qualification is already recognised in the EU, you have no worries. Just check and make sure that it is. This would more likely affect people currently in college in the UK who have ambitiions of working in the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

prawnsambo wrote: »

Most employers will recognise the degree regardless, I believe (could be completely wrong) that this will only apply to anyone applying for potential civil service jobs or any courses/further qualifications that require an EU qualification.

Your day to day university degree won't become useless.

Can't think off the top of my head of any other scenarios other than possibly applying for a masters/PhD or so forth, as it'd be the same for anyone who studied in the US

Most employers will recognise the degree regardless, I believe (could be completely wrong) that this will only apply to anyone applying for potential civil service jobs or any courses/further qualifications that require an EU qualification.

Your day to day university degree won't become useless.

Can't think off the top of my head of any other scenarios other than possibly applying for a masters/PhD or so forth, as it'd be the same for anyone who studied in the US

Not sure whether it would apply, but medicine could be one and if you are in a control position within a financial institution it could be another.

Doubt it will be an issue, but then regulations won't just turn a blind eye unless it's expressly stated that they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

New season of Last Chance University out tomorrow on Netflix!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

wp_rathead wrote: »
    New season of Last Chance University out tomorrow on Netflix!!

Any good WP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Was reading an article there about those reusable coffee cups you can buy, does anyone use one? I buy at least one coffee a day, and probably should switch to one but the thoughts of having to clean it puts me off

I used one previously when I was out of the house and drinking coffee on the go. Generally anywhere i presented the cup to offered to rinse it out for me. I only go for amercanos 99>% of the time, and I drink it black with no sugar, so they never really get dirty, and then I wash it myself at home.

Well worth it though in my experience. I’m much happier drinking from my own cup - tends to keep the coffee warmer for longer and less likely to dribble down myself.

Revolut just got Google Pay support. The whole thing still seems far too good to be true, but it's nice to be able to use it again since I've moved to BoI and they don't support Google Pay.

dregin wrote: »
    Revolut just got Google Pay support. The whole thing still seems far too good to be true, but it's nice to be able to use it again since I've moved to BoI and they don't support Google Pay.

I am pretty impressed by revolut. They're apparently making a profit now, and the features keep on coming.

• Advertisement

Fair City is on at the moment, how do people watch this rubbish?

Same way people watch lads run around a rectangle chasing an egg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Boggers watch it to laugh at Dubs.

Hang on here...this was posted just after 3.

1. Why are you not at work?
    2. Who the hell is in control of your tele?

Hang on here...this was posted just after 3.

1. Why are you not at work?
    2. Who the hell is in control of your tele?
    What sort of person works after 3 oclock on a Friday?

(I'm off this week).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What sort of person works after 3 oclock on a Friday?

(I'm off this week).

You still haven’t answered the second, and most important, question......

molloyjh wrote: »
    You still haven’t answered the second, and most important, question......

RTE 1 came on after I finished watching something I'd recorded. My missus (the person who is usually in control of the TV) hates Fair City.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Any good WP ?

I don't know if it's as good as first 2 seasons - but I'm only on episode 4

Season 1 is amazing if you've never watched it

Just heard a song called hit the dif on the radio, never heard it before and as a dj I hear a lot of ****e. 10 minutes later I’m still trying to figure out what the F I listened to. Is this something that only people from certain parts of the country are aware of?

"Towing liftin' sowing baling, drawing hauling and buck raking
    Backin' stackin' plowin' crashing, tippin' rappin' tail doors flappin'
    Sucking diesel Cuttin' trucking, spreadin' piping double clutching
    Spinning slidin' diggin' raking, rareing tearin' loosing weight."

• Advertisement

Please tell me you had to google that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The finest song in the country my niece and nephew sing it the whole time

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

stephen_n wrote: »
    Just heard a song called hit the dif on the radio, never heard it before and as a dj I hear a lot of ****e. 10 minutes later I’m still trying to figure out what the F I listened to. Is this something that only people from certain parts of the country are aware of?

I've heard it and I'm from dubland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's a good song in fairness, very catchy, a few years old tho.

The video for it is a mess, makes me feel sick.

If you've never seen a twin cam* diffin or an oul beemer with the diff welded on her doing circles then you've never lived.

*has to be an 84 - 87

The finest song in the country my niece and nephew sing it the whole time
    Are they under 5?
    Stheno wrote: »
    I've heard it and I'm from dubland
    Can you remember where?
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's a good song in fairness, very catchy, a few years old tho.

The video for it is a mess, makes me feel sick.

I actually wanted to bleach my brain after hearing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Any craft pub recommendations in Waterford city?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Any craft pub recommendations in Waterford city?

Philly Grimes. Best by a mile. Won't be open until after 4.00 though. Tom is the owner there... He'll talk to you day and night about every beer under the sun if that's your choosing.

kuang1 wrote: »
    Philly Grimes. Best by a mile. Won't be open until after 4.00 though. Tom is the owner there... He'll talk to you day and night about every beer under the sun if that's your choosing.
    You're from Waterford? How come you support Leinster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

kuang1 wrote: »

Will be leaving by then. Pity! Thanks though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement