Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

dregin wrote: »
    Balls, so it could very easily turn into blocks of apartments...
    stephen_n wrote: »
    I’m amazed it hasn’t already

In 2003 Zapi tried to build a massive student housing development there and it got blocked because of migrating bats. Developers held it for ten years, but in 2014 half the interest in it was sold again. It's zoned for open space, page 32 of this PDF gives a good indication of what that might be. I don't think it'll ever be really bad apartments, but I guess it could be.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/goatstown.pdf

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

errlloyd wrote: »
    In 2003 Zapi tried to build a massive student housing development there and it got blocked because of migrating bats. Developers held it for ten years, but in 2014 half the interest in it was sold again. It's zoned for open space, page 32 of this PDF gives a good indication of what that might be. I don't think it'll ever be really bad apartments, but I guess it could be.

Aye, found that cheers. A bit less worried now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Hurling.

Incredible weekend of play. As they said on the radio, this was probably the best weekend of hurling entertainment in most of our lives. Two phenomenal games.

I don't think there's an outstanding team at the moment, though. I don't think there's any doubt that the Kilkenny team of a decade ago would comfortably beat any of these semi finalists but I reckon even the Tipperary side of 2010 would do so. The games were so entertaining because of the drama and inability of the sides to be separated but I thought a lot of the shooting on display was poor.

Galway should be really disappointed with themselves. 15 wides and multiple easy chances missed. The shot dropped short in the closing seconds to win the game would be tapped over by many club players. Cork similarly hit double figures with their wides in the first half today, just as Galway did yesterday.

I'm torn for the final. I'd like to see Limerick win it but I think Galway winning back to back titles would do more for breaking the stranglehold of the big three.

Also, Thomond would like Limerick to win so...you know.....up the Tribesmen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Incredible weekend of play. As they said on the radio, this was probably the best weekend of hurling entertainment in most of our lives. Two phenomenal games.

I don't think there's an outstanding team at the moment, though. I don't think there's any doubt that the Kilkenny team of a decade ago would comfortably beat any of these semi finalists but I reckon even the Tipperary side of 2010 would do so. The games were so entertaining because of the drama and inability of the sides to be separated but I thought a lot of the shooting on display was poor.

Galway should be really disappointed with themselves. 15 wides and multiple easy chances missed. The shot dropped short in the closing seconds to win the game would be tapped over by many club players. Cork similarly hit double figures with their wides in the first half today, just as Galway did yesterday.

I'm torn for the final. I'd like to see Limerick win it but I think Galway winning back to back titles would do more for breaking the stranglehold of the big three.

Agreed, all the teams have their flaws. There were 35 wides after normal time today so I imagine there were at least 40 by the end. The highlights on TSG would suggest an all-time quality game when it was comfortably not so. With more accuracy the game could have set championship points records! If we ignore the Clare match in the round robin where Limerick failed to turn up from the beginning, the team have shown on multiple occasions their strength in adversity. Limerick managed to get a draw in PuC despite an early red card, they withstood a late rally from Kilkenny in the quarter-final and today they had a stunning final ten minutes to force the game to extra-time.

Regardless of the final result, this is hopefully a team built to last. 5 players graduated from the U21s to start for the seniors this year. Cian Lynch, Tom Morrissey and Aaron Gillane are 22. Declan Hannon who IMO played a huge part in the win today is 25, as is super sub Shane Dowling.

Despite the defeat in Ennis this season I'd still prefer to see Clare in the final rather than Galway. Galway were frightening in Leinster this season.

Have any of you done an MBA? I'm thinking about my medium term plans, potentially will have some employer backing, it's not even nearly something I'm committed to yet but just want to consider all options.

Did you learn a lot from it? Did it help your career?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Anyone familiar with Goatstown? Trying to figure out what this lump of land is/was. It's completely sealed off with boulders across the sealed gate on the goatstown road.

goatstown.png

Google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/JaU6Wo2oFEL2

Wow I live about 30M from the west side of that (Mount Carmel Road) and I've never seen it before!

Wow I live about 30M from the west side of that (Mount Carmel Road) and I've never seen it before!
    Haha, it's always the way :D

Might be hounding you for info on the area, if ya don't mind?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clare v Limerick is the final everyone wants (except people from Galway).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So some developer spent milllons of euro on a site and it can’t be built on because of bats? Now that’s bat sh1t crazy :pac:

• Advertisement

So some developer spent milllons of euro on a site and it can’t be built on because of bats? Now that’s bat sh1t crazy :pac:

The bats only part of an objection that was brought up by residents after planning permission had already been refused, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

We lived 42 Mount Carmel Rd for a while.

Landlord was a bit of a prick, hope it wasn’t you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The bats only part of an objection that was brought up by residents after planning permission had already been refused, I think.

It is amazing the level of nature loving that emerges in a community when faced with a planning application they dont like.

Seems like an insane waste of land in a housing crisis.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why did one semi-final go to extra-time and not the other one?

Why did one semi-final go to extra-time and not the other one?

They both did. One was still level after extra time and goes to a replay.

• Advertisement

Five Guys' burgers are meh. They don't compare to other burgers in Dublin. For what you're paying for it's pretty ****e.

Five Guys' burgers are meh. They don't compare to other burgers in Dublin. For what you're paying for it's pretty ****e.

Yeah I was in FGs yesterday for the first time since the one in DD opened. Regretted it. Had to walk past a bunsen and a wow burger to get there.

It's a good thing that starting a successful burger franchise in Ireland requires more than being a rich kid, going to New York and buying the rights to franchise restaurants in Ireland.

Bunsen is the greatest case of the emperors new clothes ever. Genius marketing creating demand for a basic and inferior product. Strip down your overheads to a minimum by having virtually nothing on your menu, or in your burger. Make people wait outside, even when tables are free, to create demand. Then charge over the odds for the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Bunsen is the greatest case of the emperors new clothes ever. Genius marketing creating demand for a basic and inferior product. Strip down your overheads to a minimum by having virtually nothing on your menu, or in your burger. Make people wait outside, even when tables are free, to create demand. Then charge over the odds for the experience.

The burgers aren't even that nice. I've always found the meat to be far too dry, which is a serious sin for a burger place like that.

molloyjh wrote: »
    The burgers aren't even that nice. I've always found the meat to be far too dry, which is a serious sin for a burger place like that.

The burgers remind me of the sort of thing you’d get off a chip van at a match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I had 5 guys once and hated it. Nearly 20 quid for a large meal. Chips were ****e (frying in peanut oil? no thanks) and the burger was average. The biggest case of quantity over quality I've ever encountered.

Bunsen on the other hand, I absolutely adore. No nonsense, savage burger. And it fills you. Burger, chips and a beer costs about 14 euro. Few places in Dublin are cheaper.

I do wish they'd stop with this strange American culture of "how would you like your burger cooked?"

I want it cooked properly. It's not a steak.

I want it cooked properly. It's not a steak.
    Well ehm..... it kinda is

From what I have experienced, the quality of the burger you get can vary significantly depending on which location of a franchise you attend and even then, the quality can vary from day to day. I've had great burgers in Bunsen. I've had medicore ones. I could say the same about Bobos, Wow Burger, Beeftro and Jo'burger.

I don't think there is a definitive best burger around.

From what I have experienced, the quality of the burger you get can vary significantly depending on which location of a franchise you attend and even then, the quality can vary from day to day. I've had great burgers in Bunsen. I've had medicore ones. I could say the same about Bobos, Wow Burger, Beeftro and Jo'burger.

I don't think there is a definitive best burger around.

If it was perfectly consistent I'd be concerned tbh.

Joburger is garbage.

Well ehm..... it kinda is

Minced meat is more liable to have bacteria. A steak is pretty much a closed shop, the outside is the outside and the meat inside is safe from external factors. That's not true with a burger necessarily as it has been minced. Whilst it would be rare for any issues, it is possible for bacteria to be present inside the burger which may not be killed off by cooking it rare.

I'm not sure what the story is now but there were guidelines about serving of burgers and the internal temperature. Many places don't allow medium/rare orders for burgers because there's potential for issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I rate Box Burger in Bray. Always had good burgers in there. Cocktails are lovely if you're into that kind of thing and they do Nightcrawler by O Brother, which is a pretty tasty stout.

Reading this article about NUIG having to refund fees for a course it ran and this jumped out at me. The fact this is stated as a bonus speaks volumes about the state of modern journalism.
    “We will also be adding in a stronger digital element to the course. Search engine optimisation, analytics and verification journalism will be taught. Verification journalism (fact checking) is very important, and currently those skills are not being taught in Ireland. NUI Galway will be the first university in the country to teach this.”

The burgers remind me of the sort of thing you’d get off a chip van at a match.

That's what FG is. I've been to the one in Dundrum and George's St and been unimpressed by both.

The best burger I've had is comfortably BuJo in Sandymount Village. The resident hippy mod agrees too. I thought Bunsen was the best until I tried BuJo.

I don't know it but I'm reluctant to eat there now because of it's stupid name.

I think I'm starting to embrace my move towards middle aged curmudgeonism.

• Advertisement

That's what FG is.

The best burger I've had is comfortably BuJo in Sandymount Village.

Big fan of BuJo.

Anyone got any opinion on great pizza places in Dublin?

Ive tried, Manifesto, Honest Pizza, Dublin Pizza Company, Basil, Skinflint, Platform and Boco - but I am yet to find somewhere that competes with Dough Bros in Galway.

I don't know it but I'm reluctant to eat there now because of it's stupid name.

I think I'm starting to embrace my move towards middle aged curmudgeonism.

Starting? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Reading this article about NUIG having to refund fees for a course it ran and this jumped out at me. The fact this is stated as a bonus speaks volumes about the state of modern journalism.

Sounds more like marketing spiel to me to try and "get with the times". Fact-checking is (/should be) a fundamental aspect of journalism. I never would have expected it to even be mentioned as something covered any more than a maths syllabus would mention they have numbers.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Sounds more like marketing spiel to me to try and "get with the times". Fact-checking is (/should be) a fundamental aspect of journalism. I never would have expected it to even be mentioned as something covered any more than a maths syllabus would mention they have numbers.

I'd have thought any journalism degree has a module on ethics and something as simple as fact checking and how best to go about it would be covered very early as a fundamental element of the industry.

I like Five Guys.

I understand a lot of people don't.

Those people are just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

awec wrote: »
    I like Five Guys.

I'm going to go with those people. You're always wrong. :pac:

awec wrote: »
    I like Five Guys.

You're paying at least 8 euro for a chipper burger! Sad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Burgers in ireland are better than over here imo. Generally the meat in Ireland is better. Cuisine in Ireland has changed over the past 30 yrs.
    I still love the old fish n chip Van's from years ago. Chips wrapped in newspaper and absolutely delicious.

You're paying at least 8 euro for a chipper burger! Sad!

First experience was total meh. Had one there a week or two back takeaway and I have to say, it's a good simple clean burger. Worth the price? Hell no! Hard to find a better burger on JustEat though.

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »
    We lived 42 Mount Carmel Rd for a while.

Landlord was a bit of a prick, hope it wasn’t you!

No not me, although I know the type. The house next to me is usually let out to Leinster players / staff. I've had Jimmy Goppert, Issac Boss, the new S&C coach and a few more as neighbors (all great neighbours).

It must have been like that scene in the hobbit for them after a Munster game, what with me giving them the old stink eye!

Podge_irl wrote: »

That’s the exact analogy that came to my mind.
    I'd have thought any journalism degree has a module on ethics and something as simple as fact checking and how best to go about it would be covered very early as a fundamental element of the industry.

You would think/hope that, but given the spiel clearly NUIG weren’t up till now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Minced meat is more liable to have bacteria. A steak is pretty much a closed shop, the outside is the outside and the meat inside is safe from external factors. That's not true with a burger necessarily as it has been minced. Whilst it would be rare for any issues, it is possible for bacteria to be present inside the burger which may not be killed off by cooking it rare.

I'm not sure what the story is now but there were guidelines about serving of burgers and the internal temperature. Many places don't allow medium/rare orders for burgers because there's potential for issues.

Nanny state nonsense. If you worry about bacteria you'll never eat or drink anything tasty in your life. Raw burgers, raw milk and maggoty cheese is the way to go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Nanny state nonsense. If you worry about bacteria you'll never eat or drink anything tasty in your life. Raw burgers, raw milk and maggoty cheese is the way to go.

I've actually eaten my fair share of raw meat. But the standards for storing and prepping it are different.

Mind you, you can get steak tartare in a self-service deli counter in the supermarket here. That I have no intention of touching.

Big fan of BuJo.

Anyone got any opinion on great pizza places in Dublin?

Ive tried, Manifesto, Honest Pizza, Dublin Pizza Company, Basil, Skinflint, Platform and Boco - but I am yet to find somewhere that competes with Dough Bros in Galway.

If you're looking for a better pizza than Dough Bros in Dublin you will sadly be found wanting.

I love Dublin, but Dough Bros is head and shoulders above most of what is on offer.

I do love a pizza and some of the better ones

- Base - pricey but delicious. Comfortably the best take out for my money

- Paulies Pizza in Beggars Bush - Simply outstanding pizza.

In Dublin I found Sano's pizza quite nice. Not badly priced either.

I went to Dough Bros in Galway in last year and tbh I don't quite get the hype. It's fine.

• Advertisement

It's not even that I worry about getting sick from a pink in the middle burger. I just don't like the texture.

There are few finer things in life than a medium rare steak.

But a medium rare burger is not a comparable experience. Cooked through is grand for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Lads its pre-season. Cut this ****ehawkery.

Lads its pre-season. Cut this ****ehawkery.
    You can talk about your lovely tofu and other hipster food over here if you prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Firehouse in Ballymun is the best pizza I've had in Dublin.

Firehouse in Ballymun is the best pizza I've had in Dublin.

This is an interesting development, tell me more.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement