Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

My interest in the women's hockey world cup is purely aesthetic, I'm not ashamed to admit.

Delighted the girls are on the final, but it's a sport I know nothing about and isn't popular in my parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

sydthebeat wrote: »
    My interest in the women's hockey world cup is purely aesthetic, I'm not ashamed to admit.

Delighted the girls are on the final, but it's a sport I know nothing about and isn't popular in my parts

My sources tell me rather than being viewed as a “foreign games” sport it’s more of a “posh” sport. Just need Ireland to win the world lacrosse tournament now..

Yeah women’s hockey usually provides a bit of eye candy alright. I assume that’s what you mean by aesthetic and not the pleasing shape of a handcrafted hockey stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm following, but I went to protestant school with Pinder and Watkins. So I guess I'm bias.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

swiwi_ wrote: »
    My sources tell me rather than being viewed as a “foreign games” sport it’s more of a “posh” sport. Just need Ireland to win the world lacrosse tournament now..

Yeah women’s hockey usually provides a bit of eye candy alright. I assume that’s what you mean by aesthetic and not the pleasing shape of a handcrafted hockey stick.

There's a stick???

There are far more Irish over there supporting the Womens hockey team than you usually see in Santry for the national athletics championships.

It not having a big following is more to do with many people not being exposed to it as opposed to some national perception of the participants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The perception **** just rears its ugly head when success hits. It doesn't really effect how many supporters you have, it mostly just increases the amount of detractors.

Thomas Barr was pretty much universally loved (and rightly so) for Rio. But you only have to go on AH or Reddit and you'll see people having a go at the hockey team. (and the rugby team).

What is interesting is how one person can change a perception. Rowing is a proper posh sport, the boat race and Henley etc. But the O Donovans didn't get any **** the same way others do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Was washman a hockey fan before the bandwagen?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

This hurling replay is very poor fare. Full blooded and tenacious but there's a real lack of quality play and multiple basic errors.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buer wrote: »
    This hurling replay is very poor fare. Full blooded and tenacious but there's a real lack of quality play and multiple basic errors.
    Clare's basics are terrible. So many dropped balls, terrible passes and poor wides.

Buer wrote: »

It's exciting now but I agree.

• Advertisement

Another Clare goal!

Limerick will beat this Galway team. Limerick have a great bench and Galway seem to fade in games. Clare absolutely left that behind them today (again).

awec wrote: »
    Limerick will beat this Galway team. Limerick have a great bench and Galway seem to fade in games. Clare absolutely left that behind them today (again).
    No more than Cork left it behind last week when they should have had the game dead and buried by 50 minutes. Limerick are nothing special either and Galway will rightly be favourites .

It has been a fantastic hurling championship but there's a sense that they're all just placeholders until Kilkenny and Tipp get their affairs in order. None of the semi finalists have looked like deserving champions aside from Galway for the opening 20 minutes today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Are people following the Irish women’s hockey team? Or is it seen as an “English/colonial/Protestant” sport and no-one cares too much?

Bloody Garrison sport...just like Cricket and....errrr...Rugby....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Tonight I saw 2 bugatti chirons, a paganni zonda, some sort of mclaren, 3 of the latest lambos, about 8 different ferraris and some sort of hyper car called a Stallone by Mansory!!
    They all had arabic number plates. Do these lads fly these yokes into Europe for a jolly every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

mfceiling wrote: »
    Tonight I saw 2 bugatti chirons, a paganni zonda, some sort of mclaren, 3 of the latest lambos, about 8 different ferraris and some sort of hyper car called a Stallone by Mansory!!
    They all had arabic number plates. Do these lads fly these yokes into Europe for a jolly every year?

They have them on the yachts.

stephen_n wrote: »
    They have them on the yachts.

Yachts weren't even close to being big enough. Fair enough one lad had a jacuzzi on his and 2 jet skis on the back. Vast array of yachts on display...there's money out there!!

Yachts weren't even close to being big enough. Fair enough one lad had a jacuzzi on his and 2 jet skis on the back. Vast array of yachts on display...there's money out there!!

I don’t mean yachts with sails lol I mean the big ones that cost a million pounds per foot. The likes the rich Arabs use, or like the ones Roman Abrhomavic has two of.

I don’t mean yachts with sails lol I mean the big ones that cost a million pounds per foot. The likes the rich Arabs use, or like the ones Roman Abrhomavic has two of.

I saw the big yachts parked up as well but they don't look like they carry any kind of freight...was talking to the owner of our house this morning and he says they fly them in to london and then they spend 3 or 4 months just showing off their wealth!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I saw the big yachts parked up as well but they don't look like they carry any kind of freight...was talking to the owner of our house this morning and he says they fly them in to london and then they spend 3 or 4 months just showing off their wealth!!

there was a documentary on c4 last year about this. they fly them in for a few months then go home

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    there was a documentary on c4 last year about this. they fly them in for a few months then go home

I wonder will the oil money run out in years to come for these families? I suppose if you've hundreds of millions behind you it would last more than a few generations.

Saw the trailer for the new Godzilla and thought it looks pretty class. Was thinking I'd probably go see it in the cinema and had a look to see when it was out.

May. It's out in May.

I still don't get why they put these trailers out so long in advance. I mean the fact that I'm typing about it is probably exactly the reason why, but it's more annoying than anything else seeing something interesting only to see that it's not out for almost a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Just saw mission impossible fallout. Very good boys, very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Looking forward to seeing the new Wes Anderson movie Isle of Dogs. If it's half as good as Fantastic Mr Fox then we're in for a treat.
    kuang1 wrote: »
    Saw it yesterday.
    Luckily my daughter enjoyed it (but skittles and popcorn might have influenced that a bit), but I really don't rate a movie like this at all.
    It strikes me as one of those things that's trendy to like, whereas in truth it's an unentertaining, slow paced story.

The whole stop-motion stuff might be deserving of some admiration for sure given the labour and time and accuracy involved, but that alone doesn't make a good movie.
    I found the pauses/silences between dialogue annoying.

But that's only my opinion! I'm probably in a minority.

Best Wes Anderson film IMO.

Too subtle for my youngest kid (5 turning 6) but the older ones liked it. I really enjoyed it. More than Fantastic Mr Fox.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Just saw mission impossible fallout. Very good boys, very good.

Saw it yesterday, it’s good but not as good as the hype would have you believe. Well paced though, you certainly don’t notice he 2 hours and 27 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Apparently, Cruise does a lot of his own stunts. Mad

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Apparently, Cruise does a lot of his own stunts. Mad

That scene where he jumps out of the window to the building across, he broke his ankle. Kept filming apparently. You can see him drag the ankle in the film directly afterward when he gets up.

molloyjh wrote: »
    That scene where he jumps out of the window to the building across, he broke his ankle. Kept filming apparently. You can see him drag the ankle in the film directly afterward when he gets up.

Taken from the Guardian a couple of days ago...

"Fallout is great fun. But recalling this back-story can give one pause amid the popcorn. The B-roll footage that sticks with me is not those multi-camera angles of Cruise snapping his ankle, but the notorious Scientology promo he shot (and failed to have suppressed), which mysteriously shares a soundtrack with Mission: Impossible. In this, Cruise explains that a Scientologist “has the ability to create new and better realities” and, in the event of a traffic accident, “is the only one who can really help”.

Everytime I watch him in a movie I always think "how can one person believe in such nonsense as scientology".

Everytime I watch him in a movie I always think "how can one person believe in such nonsense as scientology".

People have been believing in such nonsense, since man first evolved from monkey’s [Jaco take note]. Scientology isn’t any more or less bizarre than the other ones really. If anything it’s a bit more honest about it’s money grabbing nature than most religions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

If a religion makes you a better person, more power to you.

I knew a guy back in the 90's who was an animal - He'd bottle you for just crossing his line of sight. I have heard that he found Islam and it changed his life, now one of the nicest guys you could meet. (I'm told)

People have been believing in such nonsense, since man first evolved from monkey’s [Jaco take note]. Scientology isn’t any more or less bizarre than the other ones really. If anything it’s a bit more honest about it’s money grabbing nature than most religions.

Yup. Can you imagine if the Bible was written last year and out of nowhere two lads showed up at your door, dressed all in black with little white square collars asking for you to eat their saviours flesh and drink his blood for the forgiveness of your sins.

Can you imagine if they wanted to hold an indoctrination ceremony for your children where you sit in a dark room and a stranger who is 'married' to the church hears their sins and then they've to go out and chant until the badness goes away. And these men also wanted to teach your children that the earth was created by a superior being in the sky with magic powers in 6 days.

To make it even better you can join the church (cult) but if female you can never become a 'proper' member or leader within it.

Blind tradition is all that is stopping people from actually considering religion for the collective lunacy that it is. We are so afraid of thinking about death and atrophy that we allow ourselves the fantasy of religion so that we don't have to deal with it.

Which is fine only that it's a prime ingredient in our inability to deal with larger issues or extremely difficult problems. I wonder would climate change still be a problem if we no longer embraced religion for example, because God isn't going to fix jack shít!

I knew a guy back in the 90's who was an animal - He'd bottle you for just crossing his line of sight. I have heard that he found Islam and it changed his life, now one of the nicest guys you could meet. (I'm told)

He should take personal credit for that because he did it entirely himself. It's like praying when someone survives a complicated surgery, rather than thanking the doctor and asking your representatives to do more for healthcare practitioners in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

By a lot of accounts Scientology has not really made Cruise a better person.

Looking to get our new house networked throughout while it's being built, anyone any clue which trade you'd ask to do this? Electrician?

Looking to get our new house networked throughout while it's being built, anyone any clue which trade you'd ask to do this? Electrician?

If you are doing a build then an electrician will be coming anyway to wire the property. Get him to put second ports in the rooms where you want them with fibre optic.

Personally I wouldn't bother, get a decent high end multi-band router. A commercial one as opposed to a regular home router, you'll never bother with direct connect.

• Advertisement

If you are doing a build then an electrician will be coming anyway to wire the property. Get him to put second ports in the rooms where you want them with fibre optic.

Personally I wouldn't bother, get a decent high end multi-band router. A commercial one as opposed to a regular home router, you'll never bother with direct connect.

House is 3 stories so want it wired throughout with cat6e. And things like game streaming etc just work more reliably.

House is 3 stories so want it wired throughout with cat6e. And things like game streaming etc just work more reliably.

I've a high end tri-band linksys which I game, stream and download on. My ping and latency are extremely low and I can stream in HD without any issues.

No reason not to wire the house and I was going to do the same myself, but someone convinced me to try the router option and having tried it I wouldn't bother going back to cable now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Yup. Can you imagine if the Bible was written last year and out of nowhere two lads showed up at your door, dressed all in black with little white square collars asking for you to eat their saviours flesh and drink his blood for the forgiveness of your sins.

Can you imagine if they wanted to hold an indoctrination ceremony for your children where you sit in a dark room and a stranger who is 'married' to the church hears their sins and then they've to go out and chant until the badness goes away. And these men also wanted to teach your children that the earth was created by a superior being in the sky with magic powers in 6 days.

To make it even better you can join the church (cult) but if female you can never become a 'proper' member or leader within it.

Blind tradition is all that is stopping people from actually considering religion for the collective lunacy that it is. We are so afraid of thinking about death and atrophy that we allow ourselves the fantasy of religion so that we don't have to deal with it.

Which is fine only that it's a prime ingredient in our inability to deal with larger issues or extremely difficult problems. I wonder would climate change still be a problem if we no longer embraced religion for example, because God isn't going to fix jack shít!

Just read this and I was thinking. If you accept that some superior intelligence was instrumental in our and everything's creation vs just plain chance or a BIG EXPLOSION (what caused that?).

Then there may be a case for religion. Why? Because if we were just an accident, wouldn't the superior intelligence just clean us up, like cleaning his room? And no! I have not been smoking crack!

This is probably the reason why I hate preachy Atheists as much as preachy Religious nuts (or maybe it's because they're preachy!).

I'd definitely get the network cable all over the house option if I were you. I had the option when rewiring the house, but I didn't take it. The boys use the mains adaptors which aren't bad and the rest use wireless. So we're OK I guess, but nothing beats Ethernet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah. Wire it if you can. It makes everthing a lot easier. Make sure your electrician knows what he's doing, because I've seen some laughably bad wiring done by electricians. If you can get a specialist, get one, because they'll look at where best to wire from and set up your hub.

Also make sure they pull double to each outlet. A standard size wallplate can take two outlets. You can wire your phones through this as well and because of the star topology, you never get attenuation from adding extra telephone handsets.

Also, it's a useful way to expand your wireless because you have a direct wired connection from your router to any other wireless access point you may want to install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

I'm gonna start my own build next month sometime hopefully, and I'll be putting in plenty of ethernet points throughout the house.

It's mainly for faster Internet speed reasons (particularly for TV connections) , but then you've got the French (and Russians too) taking measures like this:

https://www.herfamily.ie/news/france-bans-wifi-from-creches-and-schools-to-reduce-childrens-exposure-to-radiation-232064

I know some people were saying we'd all have brain tumours by now when mobile phones became a thing, and this could be more of the same. But in the context of a new build it's a fairly minor additional expense tbf, so I'm going with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

prawnsambo wrote: »
    ...and because of the star topology, you never get attenuation from adding extra telephone handsets...

Fuzzy wuzzy was a woman???

Yes. Do your research and put in the right number of ports. I probably went overkill in one or two locations but now wish I had just a single port in some other places.

Think about where you want the cables pulled back to for a hub and try to make sure it's a discreet but easily accessible if you want to put in a router/switch etc.

I do tend to think Venjur is right though. In the short term future, wireless capabilities will continue to improve, cabled approaches will be a thing of the past and we'll be stuck with these obsolete ports everywhere.

I'm planning on putting at least 1 port in every bedroom, and the living room and kitchen.

Haven't decided where I want the router to be, but it'll probably be behind the TV in the living room.

Does anyone have any rough idea of costs? I'm talking 4 bedrooms + 1 or 2 other rooms, I just need them to do the cabling and fit the faceplates, I can supply all the switches and routers myself. Are we talking low hundreds, high hundreds or more here?

I'm planning on putting at least 1 port in every bedroom, and the living room and kitchen.

Haven't decided where I want the router to be, but it'll probably be behind the TV in the living room.

Does anyone have any rough idea of costs? I'm talking 4 bedrooms + 1 or 2 other rooms, I just need them to do the cabling and fit the faceplates, I can supply all the switches and routers myself. Are we talking low hundreds, high hundreds or more here?

No idea, but it would have to depend on the build. If you're using stud walls etc, it'll be cheaper than if they have to chase blocks or concrete. So it will probably be on a room by room basis.

Is it a new build? Or will the electrician need to pull cables through the walls and house with the walls closed up? That is going to impact on how awkward the job is and how long it takes.

You can easily price data points and a reels of Cat6e online. The labour is what is going to cost you. I'd imagine you could get it done for mid hundreds, possibly a little higher.

EDIT: I assume this is going through battens, joists and plasterboard as opposed to having to drill through any concrete.

It's a new build. I assume the walls are stud walls as that is the standard these days.

I'll be getting it done while the house is being built, presumably the electrician could do it the same time he is wiring the electrics.

Mid hundreds is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It's a new build. I assume the walls are stud walls as that is the standard these days.

I'll be getting it done while the house is being built, presumably the electrician could do it the same time he is wiring the electrics.

Mid hundreds is grand.

Word of advice, be as specific as possible with the electrician as early as possible. There are 2 on site and 1 is a total pain in the ass. The other is great. Unfortunately we got the former. Make sure to tell them not to do anything different without checking with you first as well. We arrived to the house last year with our living room wired differently to how we specified because there were issues with where we requested ports and sockets to go. Instead of calling to discuss it with us he just went ahead and did it differently.

Today I learned what a Cat6e is. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Mid hundreds is grand.

You won't want to run them alongside electrical wiring just an FYI.

But yeah it's an easy enough job to snake them through while the house is being built and before the walls are closed in etc.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement