Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Buer wrote: »
    I would have been hoping for less but I wouldn't have expected a dramatic amount less even allowing for a rural location at this stage. We had quotes of over €200k for a full renovation of our house (and small extension) and that was 2-3 years ago.

If the cost is prohibitive, are there any cutbacks you can make? The one that jumps out immediately is the size of the house. 2,100 sq. ft. That's a good sized house, I know when you originally started discussing this item you were talking about 1,100 sq. ft. Is that negotiable? It would massively drop your costs by even reducing down to 1,500 sq. ft.

Life was different back then! And circumstances have changed since that. :)
    That notion I had for a small house wouldn't have flown back then anyway as it turns out. Wouldn't have got planning for it.

Yeah it might come to that. I'm going to talk to bank and credit union soon and line up my financial ducks best I can.
    My problem isn't the ability to repay, it's proving my eligibility to qualify for a sizeable loan. A self-employed single parent of one only scores negative ratings with financial institutions sadly!
    Financial history and habits are clean as a whistle. No current borrowings.
    High cash flow very evident. Rate of saving very high.

But I'm a single (full-time) dad who works for himself.

I may as well walk into the bank ringing a bell shouting "Unclean! Unclean!"

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

kuang1 wrote: »
    Builder got back to me to say that quote was €4,000 out.

So quote for a builders finish to a 2100 sq ft house: €304,000.

I have to hope that Buer is right and he's overpricing the job because of how busy he is.
    Otherwise this house just cannot be built. Simple as that.

dont get too disheartened, there are options.

It may be as suggested that its just an incredibly busy builder and he threw a "+30% profit" quote at you, it happens.

The minimum you should always get is 3 quotes for everything. If possible get more. Go further looking for builders, because you might come across one that is sick to death of travelling to dublin week in week out and would love a more local job.

after that , there is always the possibility of looking at prefabricated building systems ie Timber Frames, SIPS etc. This will require some more organisation from your end in that youll probably end up organising the trades yourself after, but at least your structure will be built, and built to a high standard.
    There are also way to remove / dramatically reduce some trades from site as well, ie plasterers, by selecting dry finishes.... or electricians, by having first fix off-site applied. etc.

the more time you put into the planning of the build the smoother it will go, trust me.

I'm less enamoured with this sort of stuff from Cohen. You can populate a room anywhere in the world with people that will make your state / country look somewhat backwards. You could easily do this in any county in Ireland if you picked the right people / topic.

When he picks on ring leaders and politicians who have a broad public profile it's far more effective but most likely a lot more difficult.

The video isn't even shocking anymore, it's just a sad reflection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I presume builders based in NI are making a killing right now working in the South? Weak pound, high demand?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's also not funny.

Anyone watching better call Saul? Caught up on a couple of episodes of the latest season last night. It's not bad but it's a bit meh a lot of the time.
    Four seasons of Jimmy, I'm kinda ready for Saul to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

I watched the first 2 episodes of the new season last night, is it safe for me to click on that spoiler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Watched the first episode of that Killing Eve show last night. Hooked right away.

Will have to source the rest of the show somewhere else because there's no chance of me waiting for RTE to show one episode a week. It's not bleedin 1997.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Watched the 1st episode of Better Call Saul then realised that was the only 1 available. I'll wait until they're all out to binge watch it.

First 2 seasons were excellent

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    I watched the first 2 episodes of the new season last night, is it safe for me to click on that spoiler?

Yeah it's fine, it's not a spoiler - more an observation.
    Synode wrote: »
    Watched the 1st episode of Better Call Saul then realised that was the only 1 available. I'll wait until they're all out to binge watch it.

First 2 seasons were excellent

Yeah I was going to do similar but I was quite bored last night and the misses went to bed fairly early.

I think the show has ranged from bland to good without ever being really excellent. It's worth watching because when it's good it's better than 90% of TV (which is as much to do with a lack of quality elsewhere as anything else) but there are times when it drags a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

Four seasons of Jimmy, I'm kinda ready for Saul to be honest.

I think I read somewhere that will be beginning this season

b.gud wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere that will be beginning this season

Yeah I had a conversation in the office with someone who is watching it and we
    both reckon that the show must be closing in on Breaking Bad Territory.

We figured that it's probably a year before Walt is diagnosed at this point and 2 - 3 years before Walt has his first interactions with Gus.

The plot line most difficult to predict at this point is Kim Wexler. She appears to be at a bit of a cliff edge and I suspect she probably doesn't last the season. I'm not sure they will kill her off as I have a suspicion that there will be a post breaking bad season where Jimmy might end up linking up with her again but for now I think by the time Jimmy goes back to law he'll be full time Saul.

Either way I think this might be the last season set completely in the past. I'd imagine it won't go beyond a 5th season with a breaking bad type split of half a season in the direct run up to BB and the latter 1/2 post breaking bad.

Yeah it's fine, it's not a spoiler - more an observation.

Yeah I was going to do similar but I was quite bored last night and the misses went to bed fairly early.

I think the show has ranged from bland to good without ever being really excellent. It's worth watching because when it's good it's better than 90% of TV (which is as much to do with a lack of quality elsewhere as anything else) but there are times when it drags a good deal.

I love it and would put it up there with BB. It can be slow moving but it's so well shot and has a great storyline arc over each season. I also found it very funny at times.

Watching Dark Tourist at the minute. He's very like Louis Theroux but a bit less wooden imo. The subject matter is obviously a bit odd but all the episodes I've watched so far have been very interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I presume builders based in NI are making a killing right now working in the South? Weak pound, high demand?

I was on the M1 up to Belfast a couple of weeks ago, leaving Dublin about 4.30 and the amount of tradesmen's vans with northern reg plates all the way up was striking. They're certainly getting a lot of work down south anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Zzippy wrote: »
    I was on the M1 up to Belfast a couple of weeks ago, leaving Dublin about 4.30 and the amount of tradesmen's vans with northern reg plates all the way up was striking. They're certainly getting a lot of work down south anyway.

They might as well. They've 7 months left to make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Buer wrote: »
    They might as well. They've 7 months left to make the most of it.

Sure they’ll still have EU passports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Wait, the All Ireland is on Sunday?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

It was last Sunday. Tyrone won and all was right with the world. It was very enjoyable.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Super 8 format was brought in to shorten the season and give the players more of a rest before the club championships started.

• Advertisement

Would have been last Sunday except some transvestite from Argentina was having a gig in Croke Park, so they put it back a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Got a ticket today. Didn't want it but a few heads from home are coming down so it's an excuse to go out and drown our sorrows.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

mfceiling wrote: »
    Got a ticket today. Didn't want it but a few heads from home are coming down so it's an excuse to go out and drown our sorrows.

Up the Dubs! :D

Trump coming to Ireland apparently.

Not big on the protests but I'll make an exception. An ignorant, racist, bigoted, selfish, sexist, deceitful imbecile and a wannabe fascist.

We can't refuse him because he is the leader of America and we need to maintain relations with America, but I have a seething hate for anyone who commits or sanctions violence or cruelty against Children and it's not something I can get beyond.

Now to decide what to put on my sign.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Not big on the protests but I'll make an exception. An ignorant, racist, bigoted, selfish, sexist, deceitful imbecile and a wannabe fascist.

We can't refuse him because he is the leader of America and we need to maintain relations with America, but I have a seething hate for anyone who commits or sanctions violence or cruelty against Children and it's not something I can get beyond.

Any ideas?

"We've already welcomed the leader of one corrupt organisation, why this one too?"

I know slurry spreading is illegal in November, but if he visits Doonbeg I'd make an allowance for every farmer in the area spreading that day...

awec wrote: »
    Up the Dubs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Zzippy wrote: »
    I know slurry spreading is illegal in November, but if he visits Doonbeg I'd make an allowance for every farmer in the area spreading that day...

There will be plenty of slurry spreading if he opens his mouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Any ideas?
    Could you not just borrow the blimp from London?

• Advertisement

Any ideas?

Print out Una Mulally's Irish Times photo and put it on a big sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The NFL returns next week and the Bears just traded for Khalil Mack!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Any ideas?

The thing I have about Trump is that him being elected is never put in the context of who he was running against.

Clinton seemed to be raised up as this great candidate as she was a woman, there wasn't much other reason to vote for her. As in reasons to actually vote for somebody without looking at their opposition.

Even Richard Boyd Barrett seemed to struggle with it. He was on The Last Word the day of Trump's inauguration and Matt asked who he'd have voted for. He said he'd have voted for Sanders..........

Since then Cllinton seems to have been seen as a wronged person or viewed somewhat heroically when she really should be seen as someone who committed the biggest fumble of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The thing I have about Trump is that him being elected is never put in the context of who he was running against.

Clinton seemed to be raised up as this great candidate as she was a woman, there wasn't much other reason to vote for her. As in reasons to actually vote for somebody without looking at their opposition.

Even Richard Boyd Barrett seemed to struggle with it. He was on The Last Word the day of Trump's inauguration and Matt asked who he'd have voted for. He said he'd have voted for Sanders..........

Since then Cllinton seems to have been seen as a wronged person or viewed somewhat heroically when she really should be seen as someone who committed the biggest fumble of all time.
    Nah, she ran on pretty clear policies when she was actually asked about them.

One of the problems she had, that any mainstream democratic candidate will have, is that her policies seem boring now. Sensible drug policy, sane economic policies, decent immigration policies. All of that is just boring when you're running against Bernie Sanders followed by Donald Trump. So the media would have no intention of framing her campaign in that way.

And then Trump could just say "typical politician" and go on to threaten to put her in jail. She did absolutely nothing to combat any of that, which is why her campaign will go down as historically inept, but to claim she only ran on being a woman is totally wrong, she didn't even really lean on that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The failure of the administration to help the Benghazi people was a huge factor. Clinton ran the state dept. The warning signs were there and no action was taken. The e-mails and the destruction of the mobile phones, the home based computer system. Then she is hated by approximately 40% of the people. Her perverted creepy oul fella was also a negative. She had more negatives than Trump. Also the DNC appears to be corrupt and did everything to ensure she beat Sanders. Remember, she was defeated by Obama when she was a big favorite in 08. She can't run a winning campaign.

CatFromHue wrote: »

Clinton was the victim of an unprecedented 20 year smear campaign. She was an average candidate with little charm or charisma but she capable and not embarrassing.

Maybe there isn't a lot to say about her but that's not a bad thing.

Either way she's probably better off, republicans would have completely neutered her presidency.

• Advertisement

Dubinusa wrote: »
    The failure of the administration to help the Benghazi people was a huge factor. Clinton ran the state dept. The warning signs were there and no action was taken. The e-mails and the destruction of the mobile phones, the home based computer system. Then she is hated by approximately 40% of the people. Her perverted creepy oul fella was also a negative. She had more negatives than Trump. Also the DNC appears to be corrupt and did everything to ensure she beat Sanders. Remember, she was defeated by Obama when she was a big favorite in 08. She can't run a winning campaign.

She was investigated for months over Benghazi and answered questions in front of Congress and was cleared so stop spreading mindless propaganda.

There is a list of 100 republicans including congressmen, senators, former nsa directors, Mike pence and plenty more who used private emails. Colin Powell sent classified material from a yahoo account.

The email issue with Clinton is the real witch hunt. Not that anyone doing it is right, but it was common.

She's not great, she's a world apart from Trump and America is a laughing stock due to her not being elected.

Who's spreading propaganda? The facts are the facts. It hung over her like a dark cloud as did her husband. She was running against 2 untested political neophytes and lost. She has no one to fault but herself.
    She was a poor candidate end of story.

Who's spreading propaganda? The facts are the facts. It hung over her like a dark cloud as did her husband. She was running against 2 untested political neophytes and lost. She has no one to fault but herself.
    She was a poor candidate end of story.

Facts are clearly not the issue here. "Help the Benghazi people"... Do you even know what the investigation was about...?

Yes. I am talking about the embassy staff. The ambassador and the C.I.A staff. They need not have been in such a volatile situation and should have been evacuated when the British left.
    Instead it was a clusterfcuk and the result was a spin on a you tube video.

I was not referring to Libyans. Sorry for the mix up.

• Advertisement

Yes. I am talking about the embassy staff. The ambassador and the C.I.A staff. They need not have been in such a volatile situation and should have been evacuated when the British left.
    Instead it was a clusterfcuk and the result was a spin on a you tube video.
    I was not referring to Libyans. Sorry for the mix up.
    There were ten investigations into the Benghazi matter: one by the FBI; one by an independent board commissioned by the State Department; two by Democrat-controlled Senate Committees; and six by Republican-controlled House Committees. After the first five Republican investigations found no evidence of wrongdoing by senior Obama administration officials, Republicans in 2014 opened a sixth investigation, the House Select Committee on Benghazi, chaired by Trey Gowdy. This investigation also failed to find any evidence of wrongdoing by senior Obama administration officials. A possible political motive for the investigation was revealed on September 29, 2015, when Republican House majority leader Kevin McCarthy, then vying to become Speaker of the House, told Sean Hannity on Fox News that the investigation was part of a "strategy to fight and win,' adding "Everybody thought Hillary Clinton was unbeatable, right? But we put together a Benghazi special committee, a select committee. What are her numbers today? Her numbers are dropping.

I'd just like to know what you think Clinton did that all these investigations failed to uncover? I'd also like to know why during a house speaker contest a leading challenger admitted that the investigations were politically motivated.

Like I said, Clinton wasn't a great candidate. Not because she isn't capable, nor because she is guilty of anything in relation to the 2012 incident, but because the US presidency is a popularity contest and she wasn't a good contestant for that.

I've no idea what you read, but the reason I say 'propaganda' is because you are spouting the same crap you occasionally see on facebook and often see on fox news and other right wing publications and all of that is propaganda and far removed from 'facts'.

Tyrone are not winning any hearts or minds here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

great. Nothing better than Tyrone/Mickey Harte losing.
    Hopefully Dubs can score a few more goals and really finish them off

Like a walk in the park for Dublin now after their initial sloppiness

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Synode wrote: »
    Like a walk in the park for Dublin now after their initial sloppiness

Complete procession at the minute

The wides from Tyrone were shocking too

I didn't say anything about what she did. I stated she was weighted down by it and the lies about the you tube video. She also had her disgusting husband front and center which also is an easy target. I also referred to the fact that she lost to 2 political newcomers and that she ran a poor campaign.

I didn't say anything about what she did. I stated she was weighted down by it and the lies about the you tube video. She also had her disgusting husband front and center which also is an easy target. I also referred to the fact that she lost to 2 political newcomers and that she ran a poor campaign.
    Dubinusa wrote:
    The failure of the administration to help the Benghazi people was a huge factor. Clinton ran the state dept

So what you meant was, the perceived failure then, is that it?

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Tyrone looked decent for 15 minutes, then the Dubs turned it on and that was that. Tyrone cast aside like many before them.

great. Nothing better than Tyrone/Mickey Harte losing.
    Hopefully Dubs can score a few more goals and really finish them off

mfceiling wrote: »

That's a joke by the way in case any offence is taken!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement