Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

awec wrote: »
    James Milner is the most under rated midfielder in Europe.

True dat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

James Milner is the most under rated midfielder in Europe.
    Hw's kinda good alright. That was a cracker of a match. PSG with all their stars looked a bit second best.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Went in hard on Neymar in the first half and Neymar didn't want to know after it.

The only thing as enjoyable as watching Liverpool score is watching someone hit Neymar with a reducer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Anybody have any suggestions on where to go out in Dublin city for food and a few pints ? Have friends arriving home from abroad and I've been told I've to come up with a plan. Has to be close to the Luas. We are all in around 36.
    Don't get into town much anymore so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Anybody have any suggestions on where to go out in Dublin city for food and a few pints ? Have friends arriving home from abroad and I've been told I've to come up with a plan. Has to be close to the Luas. We are all in around 36.

I know it's the rugby forum, so can assume with 99% certainty that the answer is Green, but which Luas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

There is a bit of information overload here. So ask me to narrow down any recommendation if you want. Indicate budget, and what sort of crowd will be at pints and I can be more specific.

Green line luas.

Brickyard in Dundrum is you one stop shop in the suburbs. Gastropub with fancy enough food and lovely lovely pints.

Ranelagh is more your multi option situation. Eat in either Tribecca, Taphouse, Bunsen, Mak or Kinrara Kitchen depending on taste and drink in Smyths, McSorleys or The Exchequer.

Harcourt luas. Eat anywhere on Camden St or Richmond St. Lots of good options. If you can eat middle Eastern I recommend Rotana Cafe, Damascus Gate or Jerusalem. I think they're all byob too. Additionally you've got lots of very casual options. Another bunsen, mad Egg (fried chicken burgers), wishbone (the best ****ing chicken wings in Dublin City centre. Then there are nicer fancy option too. Los tapas de lola if you can get a booking is Savage. Green nineteen, Neon and Monto Cafe are all midrange options. For pints you've got the full works. Against the grain is a craft bar. Board games and pool tables. Ryan's, Devitts and Delahunts a little more traditional. The Bleeding Horse is a super pub. The gorge Bernard Shaw is something a little different and has a big beer festival this weekend. You have Flannerys and anywhere on Harcourt St if you last till late.

If any of those recommendations tickle your fancy I can narrow them down with more specifics. There are too many great great options at Stephens Green luas stop. But I'll mention some higher class ones. The fade st, drury St end. There is a whopper steakhouse there called Darwins, you've got fade at social which is lovely but pricey. You've got sms which is pretty dang good. And I really like drury buildings. All of them for eating. Then for drinking mate. So much. Grogans, Hogan's, No name, La Guiliton, Wilde and Green, Pyg, Rag Traders, Peters Pub (if you want REALLY quiet it is great), P Macs. And more and more and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ranelagh seconded. But might also be worth coordinating with your friends on this - where are they living and how long have they been gone? Ask what they've been missing the most, for e.g., any time I'm back in Ireland one of my first stops is the crappy Chinese take-away near my folks' place for a 3-in-1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Can anyone recommend a good home coffee maker - one that's good for lattes? I'm considering getting this one but want to see if anyone knows of a better one

https://www.nespresso.com/ie/en/order/machines/original/essenza-mini-c30-piano-black-aeroccino-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Something special for all the lattes out there

I went and bought it. Only €1 if you sign up for a 12 month payment plan at €30 a month. You get the €30 as credit to buy the cartridge things. It better be nice :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Thanks guys, it's only 2 couples. Travelling on both red and green lines. Loads of options there so we will surely end up in 1 or 2 of them. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Just catching up with goings-on with Mayo Ladies Football. What a mess.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just catching up with goings-on with Mayo Ladies Football. What a mess.

No one comes out of it well.... but the optics of it arent good at all for the girls who left. They come across as very precious and looking to hold a coup

sydthebeat wrote: »
    No one comes out of it well.... but the optics of it arent good at all for the girls who left. They come across as very precious and looking to hold a coup

I don’t see it that way at all. It just doesn’t make sense that that would be the case

I don’t see it that way at all. It just doesn’t make sense that that would be the case

so what else could have been the end game other than looking for a change of management?

the county board chairman himself came out and said there was never a mention of "mental health" issues from these ladies...... until their statement after they walked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hmmm, we never really described Keano as being a bit precious did we?

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hmmm, we never really described Keano as being a bit precious did we?

100% I do? Sold out his team mates and his country in a World Cup where we might have achieved something. I think he was incredibly precious. He was right in many ways, but walking just punished the supporters. No excuse.

so what else could have been the end game other than looking for a change of management?

the county board chairman himself came out and said there was never a mention of "mental health" issues from these ladies...... until their statement after they walked.

The end game was that they would no longer have to deal with unfair treatment from a coach?

Do you think they just made the whole thing up? If so I would be absolutely amazed that a host of players and back room staff would do that. I don’t believe that for a second.

More likely a single individual acting the bully than some super conspiracy

The end game was that they would no longer have to deal with unfair treatment from a coach?

Do you think they just made the whole thing up? If so I would be absolutely amazed that a host of players and back room staff would do that. I don’t believe that for a second.

More likely a single individual acting the bully than some super conspiracy

probably, but probably not the person you think.....

do you not think the county board have health and safety officers, liaison officers etc and yet none of these avenues were explored before a mass walk out?

again, im saying no one comes out of this looking good, but the actions of this section of the panel of players comes across as overly precious, going by the details that they themselves have released.
    players having "mental health issues" and feeling "unsafe" because they were called to a meeting with a "curled finger" and being described as "lazy"..... comes across as precious to me.

now that being said, these are very experienced players, all stars, multiple medal winners....... so with that in mind the only end game that i can see was an attempted forced removal of Leahy. The county board have backed leahy and countered these players claims by saying there is no evidence of their claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Fallon and Byrne in town does lovely grub and always has a good buzz around it.

do you not think the county board have health and safety officers, liaison officers etc and yet none of these avenues were explored before a mass walk out?

I have no idea what sort of provisions are made to female GAA players. I know that other women’s athletes in fully professional setups have not had this sort of support extended to them though, so I’m not assuming that Mayo GAA are any better resourced. If they are, that’s great.

Do I think that any athlete takes the decision to wall out on their team lightly? Absolutely not. So I definitely think an entire group of athletes and back room staff take the decision far more seriously.

I know a lot of athletes across many sports, albeit not really the GAA I should stress, and I would be extremely surprised to see your characterisation of these women that hold true. I find in general that elite amateur athletes (regardless of gender) are some of the most mentally strong people I know.

But yeah, I don’t know them. It could be that they are precious. I just find it extremely unlikely.

Also the examples they’ve given are completely adequate. Players asking for feedback and being ignored is unacceptable. And they stressed there were more serious issues they didn’t want to go into.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Also the examples they’ve given are completely adequate. Players asking for feedback and being ignored is unacceptable. And they stressed there were more serious issues they didn’t want to go into.

If that is the case they probably shouldn't have highlighted anything, cause the examples they did give make them seem like they are wildly over-reacting. Cause of some grievance sure - a mass walkout absolutely not.

I don't have any major problem believing it could have been a power play. These things can take on a life of their own and get blown out of proportion without anyone really intending it. The fact there is such a large representation from one club in the panel probably doesn't help in that regard.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If that is the case they probably shouldn't have highlighted anything, cause the examples they did give make them seem like they are wildly over-reacting. Cause of some grievance sure - a mass walkout absolutely not.

I don't have any major problem believing it could have been a power play. These things can take on a life of their own and get blown out of proportion without anyone really intending it. The fact there is such a large representation from one club in the panel probably doesn't help in that regard.

Yeah it was probably a mistake by Staunton to say anything at all, but you're always going to have that when you're talking about isolated individual amateur athletes coming up against the media.

If it was an unmotivated power play, which I don't believe, then his position should have been entirely untenable anyway. He's failed massively there.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/complete-timeline-of-mayo-ladies-football-saga-177695

A very good sypnosis of the situation.....

its surprising that there didnt seem to be any voiced issue between Leahys first training sessions in january 2018 and July 2018...... what changed in the run up to the connacht final?

personally i think the statements coming from the Mayo LGPFA Board are the most telling here, and their defence of the coach is strong.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/complete-timeline-of-mayo-ladies-football-saga-177695

A very good sypnosis of the situation.....

its surprising that there didnt seem to be any voiced issue between Leahys first training sessions in january 2018 and July 2018...... what changed in the run up to the connacht final?

personally i think the statements coming from the Mayo LGPFA Board are the most telling here, and their defence of the coach is strong.

It’s not a synopsis of th situation though because 90% of the relevant issues happened behind closed doors and will likely never come out.

It’s a synopsis of the media coverage of the situation which is a very very different thing.

Also the Mayo LGFA are hardly a beacon of decency to be following given their handling of everything!

• Advertisement

It’s not a synopsis of th situation though because 90% of the relevant issues happened behind closed doors and will likely never come out.

It’s a synopsis of the media coverage of the situation which is a very very different thing.

Also the Mayo LGFA are hardly a beacon of decency to be following given their handling of everything!

I didn't think I'd have to say "synopsis of what we know" as I thought that was self evident.

Anyway, I'm sure it will all come out in the wash and I'd be fairy certain leahy won't be retained after next season...... But from what I've heard in the grapevine certain players didn't like to be told what to do and it developed into this debacle....

I didn't think I'd have to say "synopsis of what we know" as I thought that was self evident.

Anyway, I'm sure it will all come out in the wash and I'd be fairy certain leahy won't be retained after next season...... But from what I've heard in the grapevine certain players didn't like to be told what to do and it developed into this debacle....

Yeah, I just don’t buy it. If it was an individual having a problem there wouldn’t be 12 players and back room staff gone from the panel. That would be unprecedented, and not just in the GAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's such a strange situation.

A group of players, majority from the same club, have come out and said they left due to player welfare.

Current players are saying they've no idea what they're on about they know nothing of the sort.

The club the majority of the players who walked out play for was the kicked out of the county championship by majority vote.

It just doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I heard a certain player from Carnacon was told she was benched for the Connacht final and that sparked the walkout. Local gossip, no idea how true it is.

So I was applying for paternity benefit today for upcoming paternity leave. There are 3 forms required - the application form (PB1), the employers form (PB2) and the medical cert (PB3). You can download PB2 and PB3 to get your employer and partner's GP to fill out, but PB1 is no longer available for download - you're supposed to apply online now, which requires going through the whole rigmarole of applying for a public services card, taking time off work to attend a social welfare appointment, getting the card before you can apply, etc.
    Checked out the maternity benefit part of the website and while they definitely want women to apply online, they also provide the form and the postal address to apply by post with no requirement for a PSC.
    Gender discrimination - screw that, I dug out the PB1 from when I downloaded it last year for the first-born, and sent off the form. Fvckin bureaucrats...

• Advertisement

If you do it online it's actually really easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45236185

Only sticking this up as I think Pete has goal of the season sewn up already ;)

Those of you that use reddit may have already seen this.

https://v.redd.it/npq1cotd79n11

Those of you that use reddit may have already seen this.

https://v.redd.it/npq1cotd79n11

I feel quite bad for laughing as much as I did. Did the news readers face subtly twig that?

My god it's in the first segment and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Zzippy wrote: »
    I heard a certain player from Carnacon was told she was benched for the Connacht final and that sparked the walkout. Local gossip, no idea how true it is.

Staunton is a peculiar character. Any other successful veteran star in a county is revered but she is a polarizing figure in Mayo. A lot of the supporters have very little time for her and that goes well back beyond this summer. Compare her to how Briege Corkery is viewed in Cork.

I feel the entire thing has been handled terribly. There's absolutely more to the story than we are hearing and I suspect we'll never know full details. I've plenty of friends and family in Mayo and the rumours are all fairly consistent and rife, matching a lot of what's being posted on the Mayo thread over on the GAA forum but, as I said, people already struggled to like Staunton much so it's hard to know if this is just a vehicle for that. In her final appearance which was the Connacht final, Staunton clearly had an issue with the free taking situation and took the ball from Sarah Rowe when Rowe was set to take a free kick so there absolutely appears to be a split in the camp to my mind.

In terms of the actual walk out, it was horrendous decision making from them regarding how they presented it. They walked, cited H&S without any further comment which is a heavy accusation to make. When rebuffed, this changed to mental health and accusations of intimidation. The Mayo LGFA has publicly come out and stated that they met with the players after the walk out and there was never any mention of mental health issues. They need to get a clear understanding of the issue and state their case because, currently, they're being decimated in terms of public image.

I feel extremely sorry for a number of those who have departed. They're young players who have followed 2 or 3 leaders including a few Carnacon players who are in their thirties, have their best days behind them. A couple of those who walked already have an All Ireland medal in their pockets. These younger players will possibly never get that. There are three of them who were on the Mayo minor side last season and were tipped for big futures in Mayo GAA. I really hope this isn't going to cost them long term but memories are long and I reckon some of those players aren't going to see an intercounty jersey again for a long, long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think the reason Staunton became the main point of focus is because she had floated back into the setup after her stint in the AFL, and had signed a contract to go back after the championship.

She wasn't going to be hanging around for much longer, whereas for a lot of the girls this was going to have a more long term affect on their careers and future in the GAA at inter county level.

So the fact she was seen as leading the charge for the group who walked out, seeing as she would only be in the setup for another few months after only recently walking back into it, didn't seem fair.

I think the reason Staunton became the main point of focus is because she had floated back into the setup after her stint in the AFL, and had signed a contract to go back after the championship.

She wasn't going to be hanging around for much longer, whereas for a lot of the girls this was going to have a more long term affect on their careers and future in the GAA at inter county level.

So the fact she was seen as leading the charge for the group who walked out, seeing as she would only be in the setup for another few months after only recently walking back into it, didn't seem fair.

On the surface, that might seem the way but there were a number of them with vast experience and, with a potential media career, Staunton still had something to lose. Fiona McHale is 31 and has been there for about 14 seasons. Martha Carter is 34 and has been around for the same length. They're both Carnacon players and the most senior figures. The "selectors" who walked were McHale's father (who is actually only the kitman) and Denise McDonagh, a former long term Mayo player and team mate of the above veterans.

To me, that just says there's a split in the camp and it's largely based around Carnacon and their senior figures who are all closely aligned. The fact that the other major senior figure in the team, Sarah Rowe, was the one who publicly came out defending the set up says to me that the incident in the Connacht final where Staunton demanded to take frees instead of Rowe was an indication of where things were/are.

Ive kind of just been reading about this in recent days, but if it were me none of the players who walked out would ever play for Mayo again.

Buer wrote: »
    On the surface, that might seem the way but there were a number of them with vast experience and, with a potential media career, Staunton still had something to lose. Fiona McHale is 31 and has been there for about 14 seasons. Martha Carter is 34 and has been around for the same length. They're both Carnacon players and the most senior figures. The "selectors" who walked were McHale's father (who is actually only the kitman) and Denise McDonagh, a former long term Mayo player and team mate of the above veterans.

To me, that just says there's a split in the camp and it's largely based around Carnacon and their senior figures who are all closely aligned. The fact that the other major senior figure in the team, Sarah Rowe, was the one who publicly came out defending the set up says to me that the incident in the Connacht final where Staunton demanded to take frees instead of Rowe was an indication of where things were/are.

and this against the backdrop of carnacons utter dominance at club level in the county.. which im sure doesnt exactly win them many friends at executive level (pure speculation on my part, but again, optics)

I see Paisley Jnr has pulled a Lowry and held onto his seat. He's now proclaiming it a massive 'win'. What an odious, shameless individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I see Paisley Jnr has pulled a Lowry and held onto his seat. He's now proclaiming it a massive 'win'. What an odious, shameless individual. Politician

FYP

stephen_n wrote: »
    FYP

At one time I'd have agreed with you and I find the majority of politicians to be irksome in one way or another. But it's definitely long passed the point of saying 'they're all bad' when some are demonstrably much, much worse than others.

Paisley took a free holiday worth a substantial amount and then campaigned for non disclosure of a genocide. He should not only be un-electable but a borderline pariah within his community.

Yet here he is, celebrating barely not having to stand for election again as if it's a personal victory.

I really wish people would vote with a bit more honesty and conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

At one time I'd have agreed with you and I find the majority of politicians to be irksome in one way or another. But it's definitely long passed the point of saying 'they're all bad' when some are demonstrably much, much worse than others.

Paisley took a free holiday worth a substantial amount and then campaigned for non disclosure of a genocide. He should not only be un-electable but a borderline pariah within his community.

Yet here he is, celebrating barely not having to stand for election again as if it's a personal victory.

I really wish people would vote with a bit more honesty and conviction.

Like many politicians he survives on the complete polarization of his electorate. No matter how bad he is, removing him would be seen as a victory for the other side.

I actually don't think all politicians are as bad as each other, but I do think most are self serving and at best questionable.

Once again not sure if this is politics or news, if the mods think it's politics please remove.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Like many politicians he survives on the complete polarization of his electorate. No matter how bad he is, removing him would be seen as a victory for the other side.

I actually don't think all politicians are as bad as each other, but I do think most are self serving and at best questionable.

Once again not sure if this is politics or news, if the mods think it's politics please remove.

Is there anyone talking Politics in here???

07ubVgI.gif

Ive kind of just been reading about this in recent days, but if it were me none of the players who walked out would ever play for Mayo again.

That's a hard stance to take. Remember, some of those Carncanon girls aren't much more than kids. Doireann Hughes is 22 and then there are three of them that are still teenagers. They were faced by 3 extremely senior players who have over 50 years of intercounty experience between them who happen to play for the same local club as them.

That potentially puts them in a horrible position. They turn their backs on their clubmates and represent their county, leaving them open to being shunned in their own community (and the standard opinion in Mayo is that you only cross Cora Staunton once) or they side with the senior players which has possibly ruined their intercounty careers before they're started and made them figures of ridicule across the country.

I have huge sympathy for those players. People are talking about mental well being. The real concern to me would be the three youngsters who are having a load of rubbish thrown at them as well as potentially having to face up to losing their intercounty careers. Oh, and now a 4 week suspension too for bringing the game into disrepute.

If they're good enough, I'd definitely leave the door open for a return to them. But local GAA is neither a forgiving nor a forgetful place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Is there anyone talking Politics in here???

07ubVgI.gif

Its a shame there are no forum awards, because this one would win best use of a GIF ever

If you do it online it's actually really easy.

Oh I'd happily do it online if I didn't have to take time off work to attend a social welfare office to get the fuppin PSC card and MyGov ID. I'd even happily do it if women applying for maternity leave had to do similar. But the pain in the ar$e of the PSC card, which the government actually have no legally enforceable basis to insist on, and the gender discrimination made me say fvck that and be awkward. If they deny it I think I'd actually seriously consider taking it to the equality commissioner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Synode wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good home coffee maker - one that's good for lattes? I'm considering getting this one but want to see if anyone knows of a better one

https://www.nespresso.com/ie/en/order/machines/original/essenza-mini-c30-piano-black-aeroccino-3

I've been through a lot of coffee makers. Problem for me is, for the day's I'm in the office, I just drink the stuff in there. It's pretty good (black no sugar). So I only have to make it at home four days max and sometimes just the once.

I finally bought one of these and I really just can't believe why I didn't do it earlier.

Link

No fuss, if you're in a rush use hot water, if you're a zombie in the morning like me, just cold. When done, bang out the coffee, bung it in the dish washer.

Sometimes you get caught up in the bells and whistles when the answer has been around for ages. As for the frothy milk ****e, just fart through a straw or something, I wouldn't know anything about that, I'm not from Dublin and I don't have a beard or skinny jeans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I've been through a lot of coffee makers. Problem for me is, for the day's I'm in the office, I just drink the stuff in there. It's pretty good (black no sugar). So I only have to make it at home four days max and sometimes just the once.

I finally bought one of these and I really just can't believe why I didn't do it earlier.

Link

No fuss, if you're in a rush use hot water, if you're a zombie in the morning like me, just cold. When done, bang out the coffee, bung it in the dish washer.

Sometimes you get caught up in the bells and whistles when the answer has been around for ages. As for the frothy milk ****e, just fart through a straw or something, I wouldn't know anything about that, I'm not from Dublin and I don't have a beard or skinny jeans.
    I bought one of these over the summer and it has really changed how I have my coffee. Cheaper than nespresso and more environmentally friendly too!

• Advertisement

Link

Ha, cheers for the recommendation. Have to say I'm impressed with the Nespresso. Some of the capsules are very tasty. And the Aeroccino gets the milk close to what you'd get in a good coffee shop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement