Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

I've been through a lot of coffee makers. Problem for me is, for the day's I'm in the office, I just drink the stuff in there. It's pretty good (black no sugar). So I only have to make it at home four days max and sometimes just the once.

I finally bought one of these and I really just can't believe why I didn't do it earlier.

Link

No fuss, if you're in a rush use hot water, if you're a zombie in the morning like me, just cold. When done, bang out the coffee, bung it in the dish washer.

Sometimes you get caught up in the bells and whistles when the answer has been around for ages. As for the frothy milk ****e, just fart through a straw or something, I wouldn't know anything about that, I'm not from Dublin and I don't have a beard or skinny jeans.

Highly recommend a Moka pots they are a great tool to have around the house. Putting hot, a minute or two off the boil, water in to start the process is actually supposed to produce a nice coffee in the end as well as being more convenient. Don't boil it like you would a kettle as it'll spurt out the top and you'll get a kind of bitter coffee in the end. Heat it on a medium high heat and when the coffee starts to come out turn it down a bit and just before all the coffee comes out take it off the heat completely.

Also NEVER, NEVER throw your moka pot in the dishwater or use detergent when washing it, just wash it with hot water. Similarly regardless of what old wives tales you hear don't let it get a build up of old coffee as it does not help the flavour.

If you want frothy milk the easiest way to do it is to heat it up and use a french press, another great coffee tool to have around, to froth it. To froth it pour in the milk and just rapidly pull the plunger up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

This is doing wonders for enhancing my capacity for tolerance of those with different beliefs.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

oli fisher just became the first golfer ever to break 60 on the European tour by signing for a 59 in todays Portugal masters.... a remarkable -12 for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

sydthebeat wrote: »
    oli fisher just became the first golfer ever to break 60 on the European tour by signing for a 59 in todays Portugal masters.... a remarkable -12 for the day

That is savage going to be fair.

Darren Clarke was a few years ahead of me in school and I always kept an eye on him over the years. He twice shot 60 but to break that is deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Incredible scenes in Atlanta as Tiger wins the Tour Championship.

The atmosphere was almost Ryder Cup like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There was Christmas music playing at home last night. Someone send help

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There was Christmas music playing at home last night. Someone send help

Here you go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

stephen_n wrote: »

You can divorce your kids??

• Advertisement

That's the sort of click that ends up getting someone accidentally in trouble over their search history!

That's the sort of click that ends up getting someone accidentally in trouble over their search history!

I would have thought you were permanently in incognito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I would have thought you were permanently in incognito

I dunno why, the things that get Venjur going include James Ryan, Footwork and Myles Harrison commentating on BOD scoring v Munster in 2009. None of those would arouse suspicion on anyone else's machine.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I dunno why, the things that get Venjur going include James Ryan, Footwork and Myles Harrison commentating on BOD scoring v Munster in 2009. None of those would arouse suspicion on anyone else's machine.

Not suspicion, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

That's some gesture by JP McManus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Fairly nice all right.

I wonder how much it would cost to put a running track in each county?

Dublin (DCU I think), Limerick (UL), Westmeath (AIT), and Cork (CIT) are the only ones I know that have one.

I'm always amazed at how we turn out running athletes as we've nowhere near the facilities they need. When your man recently won a medal on the pommel horse event my first thought was did he actually train on a real horse!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Fairly nice all right.

I wonder how much it would cost to put a running track in each county?

Dublin (DCU I think), Limerick (UL), Westmeath (AIT), and Cork (CIT) are the only ones I know that have one.

I'm always amazed at how we turn out running athletes as we've nowhere near the facilities they need. When your man recently won a medal on the pommel horse event my first thought was did he actually train on a real horse!!
    Full tartans?
    Templemore, NUIG, Tullamore, Lees Road Ennis, RSC in Waterford are also there off top of my head. Probably quite a few more.
    Major issue is more indoor arenas/tracks. There was virtually just Nenagh for years but now there's Athlone and the National Sport Campus in Abbotstown which are international standard which nenagh isnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Irishtown
    Santry/Morton Stadium
    Tallaght
    ALSAA/DCU
    Lucan

Think these are all still going in Dublin. UCD are putting one down again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

OldRio wrote: »
    That's some gesture by JP McManus.
    Unbelievable really. It's probably not going to be a huge amount when it's split up amongst the clubs, but it's money that would probably help get a sports capital grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

It's a nice thing to do by McManus and I know he gives a lot away to various organisations that he certainly has no requirement to but personally I find it more impressive when billionaires choose to pay tax here as Michael O'Leary does.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

ClanofLams wrote: »
    It's a nice thing to do by McManus and I know he gives a lot away to various organisations that he certainly has no requirement to but personally I find it more impressive when billionaires choose to pay tax here as Michael O'Leary does.
    Jesus, just googled it. McManus hasn't paid a penny of tax here since 1995?! No fan of O'Leary, but yeah...

It's quite clever.

Give away a fraction of the tax you would otherwise pay to charity and be acclaimed versus paying tax and receiving no acclaim.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's quite clever.

Give away a fraction of the tax you would otherwise pay to charity and be acclaimed versus paying tax and receiving no acclaim.

Well, I think we'd all like to have some control over where our taxes are used instead of seeing them pissed up a wall in the HSE or wherever so hard to be too critical.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's quite clever.

Well, I think we'd all like to have some control over where our taxes are used instead of seeing them pissed up a wall in the HSE or wherever so hard to be too critical.

It's not hard to be critical at all. There are a million very good reasons we have no control over it.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It's not hard to be critical at all. There are a million very good reasons we have no control over it.

Yeah, this has made me pretty sickened tbh. We give Bono so much ****, but AFAIK he pays his income tax here. U2 just don't pay corporate tax here. (could be wrong)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

errlloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, this has made me pretty sickened tbh. We give Bono so much ****, but AFAIK he pays his income tax here. U2 just don't pay corporate tax here. (could be wrong)

Think Bono avails of the tax exemption for "artists". I know some might argue his qualifications for that title, nevertheless AFAIK he doesn't pay tax here on income from his music. He may well pay a lot of other tax, e.g. capital gains tax when he sold his Facebook shares.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

WTF, the legacy skin seems to have disappeared. I'm scared. Bring it back!

Zzippy wrote: »
    Think Bono avails of the tax exemption for "artists". I know some might argue his qualifications for that title, nevertheless AFAIK he doesn't pay tax here on income from his music. He may well pay a lot of other tax, e.g. capital gains tax when he sold his Facebook shares.

Until 2006 he had that. Now that exemption doesn't apply to really high earners. I think it only applies to the first fifty thousand or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Artists exemption is capped at €50k as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Except nobody would pay tax then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Bono= bull**** artist lol. I think U2 is a corporation though, and as such would not pay taxes in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

In fairness to NZ, ye can do the odd decent bit of tv/cinema.
    Just watched "Joyride". Movie from last year.
    Touch of four-weddings-and-a-funeral about it humour wise.
    Not a classic by any means, but a very pleasant 100 minutes nonetheless! Feel good nonsense with a few giggles thrown in.

Brian O'Driscoll is currently playing in the celebrity match at the Ryder Cup. Got called up late as the 13th man and playing with French comedian and actor Dany Boon agaiinst Kurt Russell and Samuel L. Jackson. :cool:

They are 4-1 up at the moment, :)

Edit: Also that other favourite Irish celebrity golfer Niall Horan is playing with Jamie Dornan against Michael Phelps and Nick Jonas. And also winning their match. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

No interest in golf, but just hope that Tiger Woods gets beaten like a ginger stepchild during the competition

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Brian O'Driscoll is currently playing in the celebrity match at the Ryder Cup. Got called up late as the 13th man and playing with French comedian and actor Dany Boon agaiinst Kurt Russell and Samuel L. Jackson. :cool:

They are 4-1 up at the moment, :)

Edit: Also that other favourite Irish celebrity golfer Niall Horan is playing with Jamie Dornan against Michael Phelps and Nick Jonas. And also winning their match. :)

Is this actually a thing now? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Is this actually a thing now? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    All these celebrity and celebrity pro-ams are a thing now. To be fair, some very good golfers in there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

No interest in golf, but just hope that Tiger Woods gets beaten like a ginger stepchild during the competition

i don't have much interest in golf but I'm the opposite when it comes to Tiger, I hope he does well and can get back to being competitive again.

Anyone following the thread in the watches and timepieces forum?
    Guy buys old watch at car boot sale and it turns out it's quite rare. I won't spoil it but it's a good read.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Anyone following the thread in the watches and timepieces forum?
    Guy buys old watch at car boot sale and it turns out it's quite rare. I won't spoil it but it's a good read.

I was watching!.....that alright....I ignored most posts until Wibbs chimed in, he knows his stuff and had advised me on a few watches.....seems the OP has a nice find alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Was his surname Trotter by any chance?

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Was his surname Trotter by any chance?

That did pop up once or fourteen times on the thread alright

People follow the most ramdom stuff on boards

Anyone watch Trump last night. Car crash TV. Easy to see why his lawyers wouldn't let him be interviewed by Mueller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Anyone watch Trump last night. Car crash TV. Easy to see why his lawyers wouldn't let him be interviewed by Mueller.

I wouldn't let him be interviewed by Lionel Hutz, if I was his lawyer.

One of the Skripal suspects has been identified by Bellingcat.

Great piece of investigative journalism.

prawnsambo wrote: »

Great piece of investigative journalism.

Here's another great, if harrowing, piece...

https://twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/1044186344153583616

That's a horrific read.... but hopefully it leads to justice for the slain women and children.

That's a horrific read.... but hopefully it leads to justice for the slain women and children.

I read the thread and got into the forensic/geography stuff, but no way could I bring myself to watch any of the video.

People follow the most ramdom stuff on boards

Ah it came up on my twitter feed so I clicked on it. Savage result for the lad in question.

I read the thread and got into the forensic/geography stuff, but no way could I bring myself to watch any of the video.

You got further than I did. Ever since I had my own children I find it very difficult to read about violence towards kids. Would keep you awake at night to think about what we are capable of as a species.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement