Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

You got further than I did. Ever since I had my own children I find it very difficult to read about violence towards kids. Would keep you awake at night to think about what we are capable of as a species.

I read the thread, it's pretty ****ing class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You got further than I did. Ever since I had my own children I find it very difficult to read about violence towards kids. Would keep you awake at night to think about what we are capable of as a species.

I'm the same, but the thread is well worth a read - just to see how they pinpointed the location, and how they used clues in the video to ID the perpetrators. You can read it without having to watch any of the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Zzippy wrote: »
    I'm the same, but the thread is well worth a read - just to see how they pinpointed the location, and how they used clues in the video to ID the perpetrators. You can read it without having to watch any of the video.

To be fair, the thread makes it seem like they narrowed down a HUGE amount of possibilities to reach an accurate conclusion, but it seems much more likely they had a tip and went backwards.

errlloyd wrote: »
    To be fair, the thread makes it seem like they narrowed down a HUGE amount of possibilities to reach an accurate conclusion, but it seems much more likely they had a tip and went backwards.

Well, they *do* say they got a tip... ;)

https://twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/1044186361522245632

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yer man who chased the plane got away with it pretty much.

And then mooned the photographers outside court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

awec wrote: »

No money, on the dole, but off on hols..nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

They said on 2fm he was getting charged with criminal damage, what happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45659034

Joe Marler retiring from international rugby. That will be a setback for England going into the AIs and Six Nations next year.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sugar Free wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45659034

Joe Marler retiring from international rugby. That will be a setback for England going into the AIs and Six Nations next year.

title of this thread???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

sydthebeat wrote: »
    title of this thread???

Had two tabs open, this and General Rugby Discussion...where it's already been covered :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Still no broadband here. 25 days later and with an engineer coming out Saturday I get the brainwave to go into the basement and look at where the phone line comes in to the building... The flat literally just hasn't been connected. Every other flat is, mine is numbered but not connected up. If there weren't 40+ loose wires I'd do it myself, paying an engineer £130 to do it is gonna be pretty bitter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

stephen_n wrote: »
    They said on 2fm he was getting charged with criminal damage, what happened?

He's out on bail. But in terms of criminal damage, it's just criminal damage to the door he opened. So more than likely a slap on the wrist and throw a few quid into the poor box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Elon in trouble again. Though I find it interesting that the SEC had offered a deal, but Musk and his lawyers turned it down last minute and decided to fight the charges. Only then did Tesla stock crash. I wouldn't be surprised if this blows over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ryder Cup underway, and by coincidence I suddenly feel some kind of fever coming over me. Perhaps I shouldn't go into work...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

bilston wrote: »
    Ryder Cup underway, and by coincidence I suddenly feel some kind of fever coming over me. Perhaps I shouldn't go into work...

Dunno whether it was a lot of like minded individuals or people going in late to try get Metallica tickets but traffic was non-existent for me coming into Dublin City this morning.

• Advertisement

Sat up last night for an hour or so and watched the senate testimony of Kavanaugh and his accuser. There isn't enough evidence to convict but there was more than enough credibility in the accusation to go and investigate. Am a bit shocked they are going ahead with the vote today, I think it might really back fire (though perhaps the GOP don't care at this point).

Whether the accusation is true or not however, I wouldn't confirm Kavanaugh to anything - deeply partisan and frankly unpleasant individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If the committee vote is proceeding, the GOP know they have the votes in the bag and nobody is breaking ranks. The big chance is Jeff Flake. He has had obvious differences with Trump in the past and is retiring this year. Similar to John McCain shooting down the senate vote last year, he has nothing to lose. He can actually vote based on his beliefs. I don't believe he's going to vote against his party though; if there's a genuine indication that he will, they'll postpone the vote.

Buer wrote: »
    If the committee vote is proceeding, the GOP know they have the votes in the bag and nobody is breaking ranks. The big chance is Jeff Flake. He has had obvious differences with Trump in the past and is retiring this year. Similar to John McCain shooting down the senate vote last year, he has nothing to lose. He can actually vote based on his beliefs. I don't believe he's going to vote against his party though; if there's a genuine indication that he will, they'll postpone the vote.

Well they must have the votes because the nomination is going ahead as of now.

The gall of Graham screaming this is the worst political stunt he has seen in his years in the senate after what McConnell did to Garland is stunning and I mean absolutely stunning hypocrisy.

Totally and utterly dysfunctional politics, it's irreparably broken.

What way everyone was voting was pretty much signed and sealed even before the confirmation hearing. The accusations and testimonies won't have done anything to sway anyone one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

bilston wrote: »

Europe in total control of the foursomes

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    Europe in total control of the foursomes

Bit of a wobble now at moment but still should level things up from here. They'll need to keep this going for tomorrow. If they're not at least 2 ahead going into the singles, I'd back the Yanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

going to go into tomorrow 5 - 3 up !!

'mon europe !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

... is stunning and I mean absolutely stunning hypocrisy.

But hardly surprising.

They don't give a **** about anything other than winning.

That's an incredible afternoon session from Europe. It's ridiculous how guys like Poulter and Garcia just transform when they line out for Europe.

The afternoon wasn't a close affair, it was a thumping. If it was boxing, it would have been stopped an hour ago. The closest match was 3&2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

DGRulz wrote: »
    Dunno whether it was a lot of like minded individuals or people going in late to try get Metallica tickets but traffic was non-existent for me coming into Dublin City this morning.

I found that as well. Mind you I left the house at 6.10 and was heading the huge distance to Glasnevin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The way the Americans capitulated so badly was staggering. It's bad enough losing the entire afternoon session, but they were hammered.

Mickelson, De Chambeau and potentially Woods are passengers. If that's true that's potentially very bad news for them come Sunday.

I have a feeling Europe might win big.

Then again I'd have said the complete opposite at lunchtime!

https://www.inquisitr.com/5094998/trump-kim-love-relationship/

"End Simulation"
    "End Simulation!"
    "END SIMULATION!!!"

In all seriousness though, this is real life now folks. Facts are fake and what should be quotes from articles in the onion are actually being said. I've got nothing ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Former Zebre prop and Italian international Sami Panico has been arrested for drugs trafficking... Crazy

http://www.the42.ie/sami-panico-italy-zebre-4261577-Sep2018/?utm_source=shortlink

Bazzo wrote: »
    Former Zebre prop and Italian international Sami Panico has been arrested for drugs trafficking... Crazy

http://www.the42.ie/sami-panico-italy-zebre-4261577-Sep2018/?utm_source=shortlink
    The player is still under contract with Zebre Rugby, one of the two Italian franchises playing in Pro 14, but he was dropped a year ago after breaking the jaw of one of his team-mates, in a training ground bust up.

Doesn’t look like he was using his product, judging by that.

Why do they so readily run out of play in NFL rather than maximising the distance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Why do they so readily run out of play in NFL rather than maximising the distance?

To avoid the hit and possible turnover and/or to stop the clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If they fumble the ball and lose possession it's a disaster.
    Possession is everything in NFL.

It stops the clock, removes any chance of a turnover. Possession is much more valuable than the extra yard or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

American football is a sin and no one really likes it

Bears gonna go all the way.

Don’t think boredom is a sin, but it probably should be.

Can I say whoosh to Stephen and awec for liking your post? :pac:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=401030846

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Can I say whoosh to Stephen and awec for liking your post? :pac:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=401030846

I too liked it. I geddit. Still ****.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Random one. Anyone in Dublin using eir's fibre? Does it live up to the hype? Getting sick of Virgin's rubbish TV service and thinking of going with eir and Sky when we move D6W-ward in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Rory McIlroy is a very inconsistent golfer.

He'd 16 pars today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Bears gonna go all the way.

I know you're joking... but that would make an old man very happy

He played fairly well overall this week but that was a complete meltdown on the 18th. They sent him out early wanting him to put some blue up on the board early on and ease the pressure on those out later. He really didn't deliver and you could see it hurt him. Bjorn was talking to him after the win and appeared to be trying to pep him up, somewhat. He knew they were looking for much more from him.

Although guys like Garcia and Poulter were getting the plaudits and coverage, their wins were as much (and possibly more) down to their opponents failures than their own great golf. Johnson, Spieth and Fowler were all +2 for their rounds which is rubbish from the world numbers 1, 9 and 10 respectively in singles matches.

Ironically, after the poor starts from Rose and McIlroy, the best golf was played by the guys at the tail end who would have known that Europe were faltering up front. Stenson was incredible and was -6 when the match was called after 14. Best player on the day and was a complete rock. Noren was -5 for the day. DeChambeau probably would have won if he had been facing anyone but Noren or Stenson.

Final word for Phil Mickelson. Sticks his tee shot into the water and conceded the tournament. Grow a pair and take the tee shot again at least before conceding. He could have stuck it to 2ft and put some pressure on Molinari to not make a balls of his putting. He didn't want to know, didn't want to walk down the fairway in front of a home crowd and wanted out. What a sorry way to probably end his Ryder Cup career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

He played fairly well overall this week but that was a complete meltdown on the 18th. They sent him out early wanting him to put some blue up on the board early on and ease the pressure on those out later. He really didn't deliver and you could see it hurt him. Bjorn was talking to him after the win and appeared to be trying to pep him up, somewhat. He knew they were looking for much more from him.
    That's a bit of an exaggeration. You can't call that kind of bad luck a 'meltdown'. Thomas took out the driver and hit an unbelievable drive into the narrowest part of the fairway. But Rory is longer and he'd have been in the water if he tried that. So he took the sensible decision and played a 3 wood with a bit of fade to keep away from the water. It just started out about ten yards farther right than he wanted. Even then, it was a yard short of being in the rough and I don't think I saw a worse plugged ball all weekend. Absolutely unplayable. Just the worst luck imaginable.
    Final word for Phil Mickelson. Sticks his tee shot into the water and conceded the tournament. Grow a pair and take the tee shot again at least before conceding. He could have stuck it to 2ft and put some pressure on Molinari to not make a balls of his putting. He didn't want to know, didn't want to walk down the fairway in front of a home crowd and wanted out. What a sorry way to probably end his Ryder Cup career.
    Phil Mickelson shouldn't have been there. He was playing the worst golf of his career and it was purely a political decision to not have him sniping from the wings. Yeah, he should have played to the green anyway. Even McIlroy with his fifth shot and absolutely no chance, still tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Melodeon

BOD/Craig Doyle rugby item on with Ryan Tubridy on RTE Radio 1 shortly...

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That's a bit of an exaggeration. You can't call that kind of bad luck a 'meltdown'. Thomas took out the driver and hit an unbelievable drive into the narrowest part of the fairway. But Rory is longer and he'd have been in the water if he tried that. So he took the sensible decision and played a 3 wood with a bit of fade to keep away from the water. It just started out about ten yards farther right than he wanted. Even then, it was a yard short of being in the rough and I don't think I saw a worse plugged ball all weekend. Absolutely unplayable. Just the worst luck imaginable.

And then on his second attempt to get out of the bunker he made a meal of it and didn't clear the face again despite having a decent lie, seeing his ball ricochet across the fairway into the water. Maybe meltdown is inaccurate (but I don't think it's too far from the mark given his struggles of late when the expectation ramps up) but he made a complete and utter dog's dinner of the hole.

When you're one of the best in the world, it's the final hole of your round on the closing day of the Ryder Cup and you're hitting your approach for 5, I think it's fair to say he had a nightmare on the hole.

As you say though, he sucked it up and hit his approach. For McIlroy to do that in an even less favourable situation highlighted how petulant Mickelson's action was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

And then on his second attempt to get out of the bunker he made a meal of it and didn't clear the face again despite having a decent lie, seeing his ball ricochet across the fairway into the water. Maybe meltdown is inaccurate (but I don't think it's too far from the mark given his struggles of late when the expectation ramps up) but he made a complete and utter dog's dinner of the hole.

When you're one of the best in the world, it's the final hole of your round on the closing day of the Ryder Cup and you're hitting your approach for 5, I think it's fair to say he had a nightmare on the hole.

As you say though, he sucked it up and hit his approach. For McIlroy to do that in an even less favourable situation highlighted how petulant Mickelson's action was.
    Yeah. He kept battling. It was one of the things that they said at the start. That even if you were losing your match, you kept it going long enough to give the others a bit of belief and keep a US point off the board for as long as possible. He probably should have taken an 8 iron to the second bunker shot. But at that stage, it was already a lost cause. He wouldn't get to the green in less than four and a seven iron might have got him close enough to have a shot at holing a chip. I wouldn't be blaming him for what happened on 18. The real loss came earlier where he was burning the edge of holes on putts inside ten feet. It's been a problem for him all year.

Sat up last night for an hour or so and watched the senate testimony of Kavanaugh and his accuser. There isn't enough evidence to convict but there was more than enough credibility in the accusation to go and investigate. Am a bit shocked they are going ahead with the vote today, I think it might really back fire (though perhaps the GOP don't care at this point).

Whether the accusation is true or not however, I wouldn't confirm Kavanaugh to anything - deeply partisan and frankly unpleasant individual.

Apparently there is an upcoming case being heard by the Supreme Court this month. It will involve the SC deciding whether states can pursue individuals for criminal offences where the president has already pardoned the person for a federal conviction for the same offence. Trump and his family and other people in jeopardy from the above are desperate to get Kavanaugh on the bench for this case.
    Not to mention Kavanaugh's previous stated opinion that a sitting president cannot be indicted, or even questioned and the cover he will give Trump if and when Mueller comes after him or his family.
    Not to mention the loss of face if he is rejected.

For so many reasons, all of them objectionable, they NEED this nomination to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Was it a decent lie? I thought it wasn’t at the time

He’s not the best in the world. He’s 6th in the world. And he was playing the 4th in the world. And they went 18 holes. It was completely possible the match would go either way the entire way through. The fact a bit of bad luck decided it means very little either way. Same thing could have happened to Thomas.

He hit 16 pars according to that post above. Fair ****s to all of them for playing so well under that pressure. I’d crumble.

Was it a decent lie? I thought it wasn’t at the time

It looks a fairly decent lie to me. Certainly straightforward enough for him to make a decent connection. Clipping the face of the bunker in that situation was pretty poor, to my mind.
    He’s not the best in the world. He’s 6th in the world.

...which would make him one of the best in the world!

The pressure was intense though as you say. The no. 1 in the world stuck his ball in the water a number of times. People were crumbling all around. That's when someone like Stenson is so useful and important. No. 1 on the PGA list for hitting fairways. I'm surprised he didn't play more. A very understated performance from him and was 3-0 for the tournament.

The highest American on the fairway stats list who was in Paris? Jim Furyk. That course absolutely killed them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement