Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Buer wrote: »

The highest American on the fairway stats list who was in Paris? Jim Furyk. That course absolutely killed them.

Read somewhere that Furyk organised a practice day to familiarise themselves with the course in July, but only 4 turned up!

Saw a quote from Garcia to Molinari: "Francesco, did you realise this course has 18 holes? Did you know it has a 17th and 18th??"

Molinari: "Yes, I think I played them in practice on Tuesday"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Pretty dramatic rhetoric from Arlene.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dup-leader-arlene-foster-our-red-line-is-blood-red-1.3650080

I find it amusing that people have repeatedly said that breaking the GFA or erecting a border could lead to violence and Brexiteers have scoffed at the notion. You have a fairly naked threat here from Arlene on the other side and I doubt there will be a whiff from the Tory right.

The only potentially good thing about Brexit is that it's a hill I think right wing politics in the UK might actually die on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Zzippy wrote: »
    Read somewhere that Furyk organised a practice day to familiarise themselves with the course in July, but only 4 turned up!

Saw a quote from Garcia to Molinari: "Francesco, did you realise this course has 18 holes? Did you know it has a 17th and 18th??"

Molinari: "Yes, I think I played them in practice on Tuesday"
    That was from the press conference on Sunday. :)

Worth a look. They were all doing Conor Moore's 'Sergio giggle'. Including Sergio. :D

Edit: Justin Thomas was the only one from the team who actually went and played the French Open there. Fair play to him, and it certainly didn't do him any harm.

I tend to a have a low opinion of the things humans are capeable of. It kind of protects me, then something like this comes along and it really makes me wonder just how low we can sink. That is so shocking and disgusting, that there just aren’t words.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

stephen_n wrote: »
    I tend to a have a low opinion of the things humans are capeable of. It kind of protects me, then something like this comes along and it really makes me wonder just how low we can sink. That is so shocking and disgusting, that there just aren’t words.
    Saw the headline on The Journal yesterday. Couldn't click into the story then and won't read it now. I can't even begin to comprehend this. It makes me physically ill if I dwell on it.

I hope those impacted as well as those who have to carry out the legal proceedings and investigation are made of stronger stuff; they have my deepest sympathy.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Properly disgusting. That bastard should be spending the rest of his days in Maghaberry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Saw the headline on The Journal yesterday. Couldn't click into the story then and won't read it now. I can't even begin to comprehend this. It makes me physically ill if I dwell on it.

I hope those impacted as well as those who have to carry out the legal proceedings and investigation are made of stronger stuff; they have my deepest sympathy.

Same as yourself Buer. Got a snippet of info and then decided I wasn't reading a word about it.
    Hopefully he'll have an "accident" inside.

awec wrote: »
    Properly disgusting. That bastard should be spending the rest of his days in Maghaberry.
    I'd imagine he'd have to be segregated for his own safety. Otherwise...

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I'd imagine he'd have to be segregated for his own safety. Otherwise...

Much as I hate the idea of mob justice, in this case I really hope they don’t segregate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

All the talk of Jose Mourinho getting the sack yesterday...the board came out fully in support of him before today's game at home against Newcastle
    ..seems to have worked a treat, after 10 mins.. 2-0........oh down.. they're 2-0 down !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

All the talk of Jose Mourinho getting the sack yesterday...the board came out fully in support of him before today's game at home against Newcastle
    ..seems to have worked a treat, after 10 mins.. 2-0........oh down.. they're 2-0 down !

Board was always going to say that though. They said the exact same about Moyes, Van Gaal and the same about Ferguson retiring.

With United, the board of directors is there in terms of running a business, and worrying about their share prices. A business will never come out and say they're going to fire their CEO unless they've a replacement lined up.

Board was always going to say that though. They said the exact same about Moyes, Van Gaal and the same about Ferguson retiring.

With United, the board of directors is there in terms of running a business, and worrying about their share prices. A business will never come out and say they're going to fire their CEO unless they've a replacement lined up.

It's actually very unusual for a club to have anyone lined up before a sacking when the season has started.

Up early (as usual) so thought I'd throw on the McGregor fight...
    I'm not a fan of this sport..I saw nothing in the fight to change my mind...
    but what happened afterwards only increases my belief that this whole freak show is just beneath contempt.

What Khabib did was absolutely idiotic and he's thrown a good win into complete disrespute. There's also the legal implications with his visa etc so could possibly have ended his career with that decision.

In saying that, the stuff McGregor was saying about him and his family, his religion, and those around him was absolutely disgusting, I'm not surprised the adrenaline took the better of him. McGregor has turned the UFC into WWE with the drama show of it all..

Khabib will probably get away with it, the three guys who were arrested will probably lose their visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

What Khabib did was absolutely idiotic and he's thrown a good win into complete disrespute. There's also the legal implications with his visa etc so could possibly have ended his career with that decision.

In saying that, the stuff McGregor was saying about him and his family, his religion, and those around him was absolutely disgusting, I'm not surprised the adrenaline took the better of him. McGregor has turned the UFC into WWE with the drama show of it all..

Ah now, thats a tad unfair. Pro-wrestling has a discernible good guy and bad guy and is entertaining at times, this is and always has been human dog fighting between scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

DGRulz wrote: »
    Ah now, thats a tad unfair. Pro-wrestling has a discernible good guy and bad guy and is entertaining at times, this is and always has been human dog fighting between scumbags.

Nah that’s false. Some great athletes involved who are good people.

A lot of scum bags as well though, especially the two involved last night. Problem is, they’ll make more out of that than any fight involving honest athletes and that money will dictate the direction they go.

I hope they suffer in some way, but I’m sure they won’t and they’ll make more money than ever.

DGRulz wrote: »

Yeah that's not true at all. It might not seem it from the casual observer point of view but the lads in there are superb athletes, and if you ever give MMA a shot you'll quickly realise it's extremely disciplined in regards to the types of strikes and takedowns that are legal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

When did he say stuff about Islam?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    When did he say stuff about Islam?

I've honestly lost track of all the stuff he's said but there was murder a while back between the two when Kavanagh made comments because Khabib wouldn't fight during the summer because of Ramadan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

There was nothing entertaining about the build up to this fight.

I'll be honest I was caught up in the whole McGregor whirlwind as this plumber from crumlin rose the ranks in the UFC to become world champion. But he is actually a just a bigot.

McGregor was allowed to shout bile islamaphobic crap about Khabibs family and Camp and go unchallenged.

Atleast he was called out for his racist "boy" comments against Mayweather and his homophobic "f@ggot" remarks to Artem. It seems islamaphobic and peddling conspiracy theories regarding Khabibs manager is fair game and I've seen little to no condemnation for it.

There is a video which shows McGregor throws the first punch when he jumps up on the cage to a guy not looking at him from Khabibs camp and is then pulled down and is punched himself by a different member from Khabibs camp.

Of course the narrative is McGregor was an innocent by stander and not involved in the fracas that was going on. I'm hoping this violates his parole and he gets fncked

Not condoning what Khabib did but when you weigh up the two in this weird "feud" there is only one villan as far as I can see.

It's a pity because the fight itself was good - Khabib dominated him and even went toe to toe in a striking blitz a few times which I didn't expect.

Also the Ferguson v Pettis fight is forgotten and that was savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I've honestly lost track of all the stuff he's said but there was murder a while back between the two when Kavanagh made comments because Khabib wouldn't fight during the summer because of Ramadan.

I used to really respect Kavanagh...
    ...but he dabbles alot in Alt-Right circles going by his Twitter feed

• Advertisement

McGregor getting a taste of his own medicine really. He's a mouthpiece.

Pity he couldn't have fought this Khabib chap years ago, we wouldn't have had to endure so much of this dickhead.

Personally I hope his whiskey sales absolutely tank after the loss.

Best synopsis of the "fight" I've seen...

https://twitter.com/MallowNews/status/1048848503101906944

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

JK isn't McGregor.

McGregor has insulted his country all right, I'm just not sure if he's insulted Islam. Other than not knowing why Khabib doesn't drink, which isn't really an insult.

JK is anti religion and isn't too keen on identity politics, I dunno if there's other stuff, but there not really enough to say he's alt right.

Some guy on the news in court for trying to strangle 4 children. What the actual fcuk is wrong with these people?!

• Advertisement

Some guy on the news in court for trying to strangle 4 children. What the actual fcuk is wrong with these people?!

Is it just a case that because we've more access to media like this, and possibly that stuff is being reported more frequently, or is shít like this happening more often?

Every time you open the news something completely fcuked up has happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I suspect (and hope) the former.

In better news, Bellingcat (who identified the first Skripal suspect), have now identified the second one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I suspect (and hope) the former.

It is the former by an absolutely enormous amount.

Is it just a case that because we've more access to media like this, and possibly that stuff is being reported more frequently, or is shít like this happening more often?

Every time you open the news something completely fcuked up has happened.

I generally assume it's because of the media scrutiny and social media making these things far more accessible. Ireland is a far safer place today than it ever was in the past.

I'm sure we all know just how many f*cked up things used happen in this country in past decades and not only were they not prosecuted, people in communities were aware they were taking place and said nothing because it wasn't the done thing. I'm not necessarily referencing anything to do with the church either. People turned a blind eye to all sorts of messed up stuff in Ireland as recently as the 80s and 90s. Domestic violence, sexual abuse, negligence etc.

Even in the recent past, crime has reduced with the notable and worrying exception of sexual crimes. You can see the crime statistics over the past decade here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Even in the recent past, crime has reduced with the notable and worrying exception of sexual crimes. You can see the crime statistics over the past decade here

Hopefully again that is just a case of a higher rate of reporting. It is ultimately very hard to know one way or the other though.

Not last year, though time will tell if this is a blip or a trend.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/crime-rate-increases-significantly-over-past-year-1.3443096%3fmode=amp

So the second Russian guy identified, id imagine those two will disappear at some point in the near future.

So the second Russian guy identified, id imagine those two will disappear at some point in the near future.
    Plenty of work to keep them busy inside Russia. Would be interesting to see what coincided with their movements in the Ukraine and other places of note that they visited.

Hard not to worry what kind of world the kids are going to be left with. You've a chemical weapons attack a few hundred miles away by a foreign hostile power and yet UK politics is so absolutely crippled that they are incapable of responding.

The stark warning on climate yesterday has rattled my cage quite a bit. When the largest polluter in the world elects a man child who thinks climate change is a Chinese hoax you begin to realise that we aren't going to fix this.

I don't eat meat every day, I cycle to work and we have virtually no food waste at home and recycle everything recyclable. It's not hard at all and saves money and yet so many people are averse to it.

Self destructive greed will be the end of us. If there is anyone left to look back I wonder what they will think of us here and now that did nothing.

• Advertisement

Hard not to worry what kind of world the kids are going to be left with. You've a chemical weapons attack a few hundred miles away by a foreign hostile power and yet UK politics is so absolutely crippled that they are incapable of responding.

The stark warning on climate yesterday has rattled my cage quite a bit. When the largest polluter in the world elects a man child who thinks climate change is a Chinese hoax you begin to realise that we aren't going to fix this.

I don't eat meat every day, I cycle to work and we have virtually no food waste at home and recycle everything recyclable. It's not hard at all and saves money and yet so many people are averse to it.

Self destructive greed will be the end of us. If there is anyone left to look back I wonder what they will think of us here and now that did nothing.
    The funniest (in the sense of mind-bogglingly off-kilter) thing is that China are putting massive solar farms in place and leading the world in developing their renewable power potential.

It's unbelievable that the US (a supposedly more developed economy) are still denying that renewables are necessary and doing the exact opposite.

solar_farm_floating_china_power_plant_sungrow_10.jpg

Until the dialogue changes to human population control, then everything else is just window dressing. Yes eat less meat, we’ll need less cattle and that will help. Then in 5 years time, we have ramped up horticulture to fill the void left by meat. In doing so we have rapidly increased the levels of deforestation and now there are no bee’s left because we removed their natural habit. It’s very simple, there are too many people on the planet and that is only ever going to get worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

We need another plague especially in the developed world

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The funniest (in the sense of mind-bogglingly off-kilter) thing is that China are putting massive solar farms in place and leading the world in developing their renewable power potential.

It's unbelievable that the US (a supposedly more developed economy) are still denying that renewables are necessary and doing the exact opposite.

It's not unbelievable at all. China has long had a tradition of planning far ahead. They think strategically and plan for decades into the future. The US, and most western democracies, plan in timespans no longer than an election cycle. The US, in particular, has a political system more prone to corruption, er, lobbying from big business. The money is in fossil fuels, which is dominated by large companies with long experience of lobbying, not in renewables which is more distributed, smaller startup companies etc.
    Ireland is not much better. Our record on climate change is appalling, and we are completely failing to meet our targets under carbon reduction agreements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

We have virtually no food waste at home and recycle everything recyclable.

Venjur is closet Swiss, people.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Venjur is closet Swiss, people.

Ha - all credit goes to my wife, she is the most incredibly practical person I've ever met and I think it's to do with growing up on a farm as opposed to being Swiss but I'll ask if she is aware of her ancestry!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I used to think you were a good guy but it turns out you are some sort of vegan, bike-wanker hippy. I'm disappointed.

:D

One thing I do hate is food waste. I'm constantly having to smack have words with the missus for buying food that we already have and opening fresh stuff rather than using what is already open. Drives me nuts.

I always make an effort to recycle but how come we can't put glass in the green bins? It's a pain the arse having to go to the bottle bank every week.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I used to think you were a good guy but it turns out you are some sort of vegan, bike-wanker hippy. I'm disappointed.

:D

One thing I do hate is food waste. I'm constantly having to smack have words with the missus for buying food that we already have and opening fresh stuff rather than using what is already open. Drives me nuts.

I always make an effort to recycle but how come we can't put glass in the green bins? It's a pain the arse having to go to the bottle bank every week.

Do you have a drink problem?

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    Do you have a drink problem?

I find Aussies tend to drink regularly at home, a bottle or two of beer most days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement