Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Buer wrote: »
    I find Aussies tend to drink regularly at home, a bottle or two of beer most days.

:pac: I nearly missed that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zzippy wrote: »
    It's not unbelievable at all. China has long had a tradition of planning far ahead. They think strategically and plan for decades into the future. The US, and most western democracies, plan in timespans no longer than an election cycle. The US, in particular, has a political system more prone to corruption, er, lobbying from big business. The money is in fossil fuels, which is dominated by large companies with long experience of lobbying, not in renewables which is more distributed, smaller startup companies etc.
    Ireland is not much better. Our record on climate change is appalling, and we are completely failing to meet our targets under carbon reduction agreements.

Well the ruling party aren't worried about being voted out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Well the ruling party aren't worried about being voted out....

I didn't think that needed to be said!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

stephen_n wrote: »
    Do you have a drink problem?

No I have no problem drinking. I'm trying to assimilate into Irish culture. Drinking heavily, blaming the ref for any defeats (and also when we win), having potatoes with every meal, talking over the top of everyone, pretty soon I'll ready to sit my Irish citizen test :D Then I get a free house. Right?

And Buer, Aussies don't drink from bottles. The drink beer from tinnies and wine from cardboard boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Buer wrote: »
    I find Aussies tend to drink regularly at home, a bottle or two of beer most days.

Whoosh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'll have nothing said against box wine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's not unbelievable at all. China has long had a tradition of planning far ahead. They think strategically and plan for decades into the future. The US, and most western democracies, plan in timespans no longer than an election cycle. The US, in particular, has a political system more prone to corruption, er, lobbying from big business. The money is in fossil fuels, which is dominated by large companies with long experience of lobbying, not in renewables which is more distributed, smaller startup companies etc.
    Ireland is not much better. Our record on climate change is appalling, and we are completely failing to meet our targets under carbon reduction agreements.
    That's true. However, impressive and all as China's investment in renewables is, their reliance on 'dirtier' forms is still massive. Ireland's renewables provide 27% of our electricity generation capacity, China's is less than 2%.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    No I have no problem drinking. I'm trying to assimilate into Irish culture. Drinking heavily, blaming the ref for any defeats (and also when we win), having potatoes with every meal, talking over the top of everyone, pretty soon I'll ready to sit my Irish citizen test :D Then I get a free house. Right?

And Buer, Aussies don't drink from bottles. The drink beer from tinnies and wine from cardboard boxes.

Not as much a house, as somewhere to park your caravan, but yeah that’s fairly spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I didn't think that needed to be said!

If only you could have a benevolent one party system.

The Ligind Party!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There is something to be said about a single-party totalitarian regime. They don't have to worry about appearance and elections and can make these mad plans without fear of their successors undoing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

A great bunch of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Do you have a drink problem?

I have. I've only got one mouth.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Fr Ted couldn’t come up with this sh1te :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Fr Ted couldn’t come up with this sh1te :pac::pac:

That’s genuinely hilarious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That whole exorcism thing in the Church is a bit funny. My understanding, being fairly limited, is that ghosts and all that stuff are part of the belief system. Just people ignore that part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Yeah.... blaming Satan for kiddy fiddling and not the actual perpetrators...... personally I think any member of the church that actually says that in public should be bitch slapped by any and all abuse victims who so wish

CatFromHue wrote: »
    That whole exorcism thing in the Church is a bit funny. My understanding, being fairly limited, is that ghosts and all that stuff are part of the belief system. Just people ignore that part of it.

I mean, the holy ghost is a pretty important part of the whole think from my recollection.

From another point of view, does anyone not think that the church are incredibly cruel to their inner members. I mean Priests are by their nature isolated in many ways, forced to be celibate and it's a 24 / 7 job. I often wonder how the church escapes employment rights for example.

If it was invented now the Catholic church would be rightly labelled a cult and dismissed by the vast majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Save the environment?

I would drive to my next door neighbours house to collect my kids. I'd burn my rubbish to save me walking outside to the bin. I throw both hard and soft plastics into my kitchen bin.

*all of the above may not be true*

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wait, you are supposed to separate different types of plastic?

• Advertisement

f2Ov1YK.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just seen the new ad for maltesers in eir....

Im all for inclusion but that just seems wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

So, saw a bit of home internet talk a while back, with people talking about putting ethernet ports everywhere.

We're fortunate enough to have a new place, so I've gone with router & PoE switch in the basement, Cat 6 ethernet cabling, and then 2 ethernet port locations (3 ports in the location downstairs, 2 ports in the location upstairs), to which I'll attach wifi access points, all on the same wifi network thanks to the switch.

My brother-in-law swears by Ubiqiti equipment, so that's what I'll probably get for all the components, replacing the cheap router and switch supplied by the electrician.

I prefer this option which minimises cables, compared to having ethernet ports everywhere to which you plug in directly. Just have to hope i've done my sums OK, and there are no wifi black holes, but with the right equipment should be ok.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    So, saw a bit of home internet talk a while back, with people talking about putting ethernet ports everywhere.

We're fortunate enough to have a new place, so I've gone with router & PoE switch in the basement, Cat 6 ethernet cabling, and then 2 ethernet port locations (3 ports in the location downstairs, 2 ports in the location upstairs), to which I'll attach wifi access points, all on the same wifi network thanks to the switch.

My brother-in-law swears by Ubiqiti equipment, so that's what I'll probably get for all the components, replacing the cheap router and switch supplied by the electrician.

I prefer this option which minimises cables, compared to having ethernet ports everywhere to which you plug in directly. Just have to hope i've done my sums OK, and there are no wifi black holes, but with the right equipment should be ok.
    Ubiqiti kit is pretty decent and has a very easy control system for multiple APs, which make it a lot cheaper than using a controller.

But if you want the absolute gold standard, Meraki (now Cisco Meraki) is it. Cloud controlled and very, very good. They also have outdoor units if you want WiFi in your garden.

Sitting in the car park in lidl in terenure for the last 20 minutes and the standard of parking (and driving) is beyond diabolical.
    Women trying to get 5 series bmw's into a space you wouldn't get a bike into. Oul ones in micra's who are revving the engine so hard you'd swear it was an aircraft they were getting ready for take off.
    2 people have driven the wrong way around the one way system.
    People trying to drive into a space and giving up when it is 100 times easier to reverse in.
    It's no wonder so many cars have crumpled doors and panels.

Sitting in the car park in lidl in terenure for the last 20 minutes and the standard of parking and driving is diabolical.
    Women trying to get 5 series bmw's into a space you wouldn't get a bike into. Oul ones in micra's who are revving the engine so hard you'd swear it was an aircraft they were getting ready for take off. I watched 2 drivers drive the wrong way around the one way system.
    People trying to drive into a space when it's 100 times easier to reverse in.
    It's no wonder that every second car here has a crumpled door or panel.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Ubiqiti kit is pretty decent and has a very easy control system for multiple APs, which make it a lot cheaper than using a controller.

But if you want the absolute gold standard, Meraki (now Cisco Meraki) is it. Cloud controlled and very, very good. They also have outdoor units if you want WiFi in your garden.
    Just to add that the cloud controller has some very useful features like bandwidth throttling, blacklisting, firewalls etc. Some of which could be very useful when you have kids. ;)

Oh and obviously you can see what sites are being visited. And from anywhere obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

mfceiling wrote: »
    Sitting in the car park in lidl in terenure for the last 20 minutes and the standard of parking (and driving) is beyond diabolical.
    Women trying to get 5 series bmw's into a space you wouldn't get a bike into. Oul ones in micra's who are revving the engine so hard you'd swear it was an aircraft they were getting ready for take off.
    2 people have driven the wrong way around the one way system.
    People trying to drive into a space and giving up when it is 100 times easier to reverse in.
    It's no wonder so many cars have crumpled doors and panels.

Prostitutes are getting so lazy these days with their timekeeping. :pac:

Sitting in the car park in lidl in terenure for the last 20 minutes and the standard of parking and driving is diabolical.
    Women trying to get 5 series bmw's into a space you wouldn't get a bike into. Oul ones in micra's who are revving the engine so hard you'd swear it was an aircraft they were getting ready for take off. I watched 2 drivers drive the wrong way around the one way system.
    Swap you!

Sitting on the A1 at Newry, road completely closed, have moved about half a mile in 45 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

swiwi_ wrote: »

And all of it rendered useless by the piece of crap FritzBox you have to use for a router.

Was in a garage earlier on, had a girl in a polo sitting in front of me and getting annoyed that I wouldn’t move over to let her past. I tried to point out to her that it was a one way system and she was going the wrong way and she just got more annoyed. People are stupid!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

awec wrote: »
    Swap you!

Sitting on the A1 at Newry, road completely closed, have moved about half a mile in 45 minutes.

Could be worse.

I've been working from home and had to spend 30 minutes wondering whether 4 or 5 was the more acceptable time to open a beer. It was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

It should be compulsory for all rugby boardsies to post in the off-topic forum on Friday early evenings.
    This is gold.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Could be worse.

I've been working from home and had to spend 30 minutes wondering whether 4 or 5 was the more acceptable time to open a beer. It was awful.

11am is the answer ;)

Swap you!

Swap you. Sitting in the labour ward for the last 8 hours and I've been holding in a fart for the last 2...

• Advertisement

Swap you. Sitting in the labour ward for the last 8 hours and I've been holding in a fart for the last 2...

Let her rip and blame the missus

Let her rip and blame the missus

Thanks. That didn't work... even the midwife gave me a filthy look

You were supposed to do it silently

Best of luck Zzippy, hope everything goes great and if Mr. Lowe scores a hatrick tonight James or Jill are grand formidable names!

kuang1 wrote: »
    It should be compulsory for all rugby boardsies to post in the off-topic forum on Friday early evenings.
    This is gold.

I'll give you gold....

Missus went to the airport this morning for a meeting in London. Flight delayed slightly but she would make it...just.
    Plane gets to runway then stops and the pilot says "could be a 90 minute delay folks"

Long story short....she flies to london. Gets out of plane and hasn't enough time for anything only to go back through and wait for her flight home!!

• Advertisement

You were supposed to do it silently

Your definition of "let her rip" and mine are clearly very different...

Best of luck Zzippy, hope everything goes great and if Mr. Lowe scores a hatrick tonight James or Jill are grand formidable names!

“I agree, Lucy is a lovely name”

“That was easy!”

“Did you write Lowesy on the birth certificate?”

As if I'd punish a child by naming them after a NIQ Leinster import. Bundee is in the running, however, depending on how much drugs they give herself... ;)

As if I'd punish a child by naming them after a NIQ Leinster import. Bundee is in the running, however, depending on how much drugs they give herself... ;)

Not NIQ for long!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Pro tip Zzippy, during labour when the midwife says I can see babys head, would daddy like a look? "No, I'm grand thanks" is apparently not the preferred answer

Swap you!

Journey that should take 90 minutes ended up taking nearly 4 hours.

Never enjoyed a beer as much in my life as the one I cracked open after walking in the door.

b.gud wrote: »
    Pro tip Zzippy, during labour when the midwife says I can see babys head, would daddy like a look? "No, I'm grand thanks" is apparently not the preferred answer

Also make sure after the baby is born that you tell your wife that you think your pregnancy (as in plural your) and labour went great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Also make sure after the baby is born that you tell your wife that you think your pregnancy (as in plural your) and labour went great.

Personally I felt I really played a stormer during the labour and I didn't even need any of the drugs

Apparently "There's not much happening, mind if I nip out for a pint?" was the wrong thing to say...

b.gud wrote: »

But if you don’t say no, you’ll never see your missus in the same way again. That image can not be unseen.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement