Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Top Halloween Tip....

If you run out of sweets but still have kids calling at the door just clear out the contents of the 2nd drawer down in the kitchen. As the hall is in darkness and there's very little light outside you can get rid of old batteries, indicator bulbs, spare keys and loose screws by dropping them into the little feckers bags.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Any recommendations for baby monitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

dregin wrote: »

Turn them off and you’ll get a better nights sleep.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We have the BT video monitor 6000. Does the job, reliable with no issues and decent battery life.

Didn’t bother with the ones that require WiFi and let you use your phone etc.

I'm not being smart but they're a bit of a gimmick. We had one for a few weeks for the 1st little lady. Problem is you could hear her crying from the room anyway. The monitor just amplified it. Ended up throwing it in the attic with another half ton of unused "must have" items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone suggest a decent place to park near Ulster Hall for a couple hours tomorrow morning?

Anyone suggest a decent place to park near Ulster Hall for a couple hours tomorrow morning?

Johnny Marr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

mfceiling wrote: »
    Johnny Marr?

I wish, work stuff unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Eir Engineer came over to "install" my broadband as I move from sky.

Pretty sure he's the same eircom networks guy or whatever who installed the Sky last year. Seems his job basically consisted of unplugging the sky router, plugging in the eir one, putting a powerline adapter in to ethernet the internet connection to the eirbox by the TV. Cable Management is not a service rendered.

Paying for that. Sound.

On the plus side I got two powerline adapters out of it which probably would have cost more than the call out anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

We got the angel monitor, which sets off an alarm if the baby stops breathing. Wife insisted on it as she knows someone who lost a baby to cot death. Now we have a toddler who thinks it's a sport to wedge himself into the corner of his cot, in just the right position so the monitor thinks he's not breathing. It's a very close-run thing that it hasn't met the wall with extreme velocity yet...

On the plus side, I have a recently-discovered talent for sleeping through a crying baby waking up everyone else in the house. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Zzippy wrote: »
    We got the angel monitor, which sets off an alarm if the baby stops breathing. Wife insisted on it as she knows someone who lost a baby to cot death. Now we have a toddler who thinks it's a sport to wedge himself into the corner of his cot, in just the right position so the monitor thinks he's not breathing. It's a very close-run thing that it hasn't met the wall with extreme velocity yet...

On the plus side, I have a recently-discovered talent for sleeping through a crying baby waking up everyone else in the house. :D

My wife was insisting on that as well, but we didn't get it right away and eventually didn't see the need for it. I suppose I can understand why some would be set on it, but we just use a standard monitor now. Some Motorola model or other. Camera, microphone and night vision is really all you need. Enough to keep an eye and ear out when they've gone down, day or night.

Yea camera, microphone and nightvision is all you're after. Most of them will include a temperature reading as well.

The really expensive ones that use wifi so you can watch on your phone, get alerts etc and HD picture are not worth it.

If you live in an apartment you probably won't need one at all until the baby is sleeping in their own room at 6+ months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Didnt bother with the body sensor as it kept going off, but we do use and have used the monitors on our first and now on our second. They are worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If we needed another monitor for another kid I wouldn't get anything more than an audio monitor. Pretty much all you need is to know if they're crying. Anything else just means you're continually checking a monitor for no reason.

We got a Motorola video monitor and I reckon it was mostly a waste of money. Can't fathom the monitors which have an app. Have friends that sit in the cinema checking their child sleeping every 2 minutes.

Buer wrote: »
    If we needed another monitor for another kid I wouldn't get anything more than an audio monitor. Pretty much all you need is to know if they're crying. Anything else just means you're continually checking a monitor for no reason.

We got a Motorola video monitor and I reckon it was mostly a waste of money. Can't fathom the monitors which have an app. Have friends that sit in the cinema checking their child sleeping every 2 minutes.

Yeah, the app thing is too invasive. No point in even going to the cinema in that case.

We use the video to decide whether we can ignore the crying or not. She's going through her sleep regression at the moment so at times when she's down she'll cry a little and go back to sleep after a minute or so. We know by looking at her whether we need to go up to her or not when she kicks off. It's been handy for that. And as she's our first it was useful when we moved her into her own room for the first time just to give us peace of mind (and without meaning to sound callous, by us I mean my wife).

We use the video for knowing whether or not we can ignore crying as well :D

My daughter has this habit of getting herself into really awkward positions in her cot and getting stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Now we have a toddler who thinks it's a sport to wedge himself into the corner of his cot, in just the right position so the monitor thinks he's not breathing.
    This is a good summation of my argument style

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah, the app thing is too invasive. No point in even going to the cinema in that case.

We use the video to decide whether we can ignore the crying or not. She's going through her sleep regression at the moment so at times when she's down she'll cry a little and go back to sleep after a minute or so. We know by looking at her whether we need to go up to her or not when she kicks off. It's been handy for that. And as she's our first it was useful when we moved her into her own room for the first time just to give us peace of mind (and without meaning to sound callous, by us I mean my wife).

Might be a dumb question; how do you know by looking at her?

Might be a dumb question; how do you know by looking at her?

If they are kicking and thrashing about they are properly annoyed.

Sometimes they will lie totally still, as if they are sleeping, but just crying. These times you can generally ignore it cause they'll be fast asleep in a minute or two. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can't help feeling all this is bad habit forming. How far and for how long do you with tracking your child's every movement? It would be easy to convince yourself you need to monitor them for one reason or another all the way to adulthood.

My son started secondary in September and it's kind of scary just how every movement is tracked. If the kid is a minute late for class both parents get a text, every mark, remark and punishment is immediately published on line, any comment from a teacher dissected as nauseam in parents' WhatsApp groups. I don't envy the children, it's suffocating.

• Advertisement

I can't help feeling all this is bad habit forming. How far and for how long do you with tracking your child's every movement? It would be easy to convince yourself you need to monitor them for one reason or another all the way to adulthood.

My son started secondary in September and it's kind of scary just how every movement is tracked. If the kid is a minute late for class both parents get a text, every mark, remark and punishment is immediately published on line, any comment from a teacher dissected as nauseam in parents' WhatsApp groups. I don't envy the children, it's suffocating.

The video only turns on when they make noise, otherwise it’s a blank screen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

My son started secondary in September and it's kind of scary just how every movement is tracked. If the kid is a minute late for class both parents get a text

That is absolutely bonkers and not remotely helpful.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

For us, our plan is to only go into the room when we need to so that the child can go back to sleep of their own accord and not need us to be in the room for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

All this talk of kids is making me really look forward to a drink tonight ðŸ˜

Yeah_Right wrote: »

On my way back from one. Always knew the aussies and me were on the same wavelength

My kid just handed me one. It takes some training but eventually it pays off.

My kid just handed me one. It takes some training but eventually it pays off.

Fake news!

Blackadder on bbc4 tonight. I'd forgotten how funny it was.

awec wrote: »
    If they are kicking and thrashing about they are properly annoyed.

Sometimes they will lie totally still, as if they are sleeping, but just crying. These times you can generally ignore it cause they'll be fast asleep in a minute or two. :D

Yeah, with ours she also sucks on the end of her blanket for comfort when she's still half asleep. She'll move around a lot more when she's awake. So it's generally easy to tell.

I enjoyed mine last night. :D
    Blackadder on bbc4 tonight. I'd forgotten how funny it was.

Which one? Class show. Haven't seen it in ages.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »

Which one? Class show. Haven't seen it in ages.

Blackadder goes forth. The episode with Rik Mayall playing the sex mad pilot. So good.

Blackadder goes forth. The episode with Rik Mayall playing the sex mad pilot. So good.

Ah yes, probably my favourite season.

Wibble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Listened to the first one and the second one is just as good! Good bit of comedy too as Hask takes the mickey out of himself at times https://open.spotify.com/episode/1pUxTbukWc7HcPD9SDx9UQ?si=tnbqg-9RQfqO2Wr_rlEjjg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Das Boot has been remade and will be shown on Sky Atlantic....I'm not sure how I feel about this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You know you're spending too much time online when the lines of reality and online become blurred. I was going for a sandwich there and met a cyclist coming towards me, no headphones, music blaring aloud from a small stereo and him singing along. He obviously registered the startled look on my face at his choice of music as he smiled and gave a big wink....

It was fvcking "Never Gonna Give You Up". And now it's stuck in my head.

I JUST GOT RICKROLLED IN REAL LIFE! :eek: :D:D:D

You know you're spending too much time online when the lines of reality and online become blurred. I was going for a sandwich there and met a cyclist coming towards me, no headphones, music blaring aloud from a small stereo and him singing along. He obviously registered the startled look on my face at his choice of music as he smiled and gave a big wink....

It was fvcking "Never Gonna Give You Up". And now it's stuck in my head.

I JUST GOT RICKROLLED IN REAL LIFE! :eek: :D:D:D

Not sure if anyone saw this but there is a video online of a cyclist wearing noise cancelling headphones nearly getting killed three times whilst cycling down the quays. No helmet or lights either - link to vid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not sure if anyone saw this but there is a video online of a cyclist wearing noise cancelling headphones nearly getting killed three times whilst cycling down the quays. No helmet or lights either - link to vid

You know what I love about YouTube? When you click on a link and an advert plays before the actual video but in the bottom right of that advert, there's a small window previewing the upcoming video.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Axl Rose is the new leader in woke celebrity.

I've no idea what's going on anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Running 5k at Run in the Dark. First proper run I've ever done.

I won't run fast but I will run with pashun. John Hayes speed ftw.

G'wan ye good ting!

I've really missed being able to do... anything with a torn cruciate. I have a long list of stuff I want to do when I'm fully fit. Should really have been doing it all along but you only realise what you're missing out on when you're crocked.

If you wax your arms and legs there'll be less wind resistance so you'll move faster and with less effort. Just a tip.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    If you wax your arms and legs there'll be less wind resistance so you'll move faster and with less effort. Just a tip.

Why stop at the arms and legs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Me wrecked.

Man U back to their usual of winning games with minutes left. FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

On running. Any advice on good places to go do marathons in europe? Have done Dublin twice and will go abroad for next one and want to mix race with nice city break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

On running. Any advice on good places to go do marathons in europe? Have done Dublin twice and will go abroad for next one and want to mix race with nice city break.

I've heard good things about Berlin. I say heard because I'm about as close to running a marathon as I am getting a Six Nations cap. Sadly it's not til September 2019 though.

Berlin, Rotterdam, Lisbon.

Berlin, Rotterdam, Lisbon.

I just got tired walking to mcdonalds in Lisbon. Can't imagine running a marathon here.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I just got tired walking to mcdonalds

That stacks up...

errlloyd wrote: »
    I just got tired walking to mcdonalds

That stacks up...

Legit the nearest open place to my hotel to buy bottled water. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm doing Paris next year, looking forward to that. You've just missed the ballot entry for Berlin for next year, closed yesterday.

I'm also doing the Marathon du Medoc next year :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement