Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

On running. Any advice on good places to go do marathons in europe? Have done Dublin twice and will go abroad for next one and want to mix race with nice city break.

Barcelona would be a good one then, a friend did it and she really enjoyed it.

Running 5k at Run in the Dark. First proper run I've ever done.

I won't run fast but I will run with pashun. John Hayes speed ftw.

Just keep at it till you find the zone! Having said that I’ve probably ran 1000K at this stage and never found the f@cking zone. I hate running, most boring form of exercise ever. Though for some perverse reason I want to run a marathon :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I would give one word of warning about southern European marathons - it can potentially be quite warm, bordering on hot. If you are not used to running in that kind of weather (especially as it will be spring and you'll be training in an Irish winter!) it can be absolutely horrific.

Me wrecked.

What was your time?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

What was your time?

He posted that at the halfway mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    He posted that at the halfway mark.

Fup off.

34:27

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Fup off.

Fair play lad.

Fup off.

Well done Thomond - you have to sign up for a 10k now!

Fup off.

Not bad for a prop

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    Not bad for a prop

That's the nicest thing you've ever said.

That's the nicest thing you've ever said.

What you talking about, I said you weren’t too bad for a Munster man, that’s way nicer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

John Hayes would have been quicker. For shame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The 10K in the park is a decent one, was my first 10K and found it well doable. I'd only done one 5K up to that point (and bar one 8k I've done **** all since, but that's not because of the park run).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The 10K in the park is a decent one, was my first 10K and found it well doable. I'd only done one 5K up to that point (and bar one 8k I've done **** all since, but that's not because of the park run).

You lazy ****!

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Running is by far the most boring way to exercise. Started tracking my distance when playing 5 aside, I cover 4-5km a game and at least you're doing something to distract from how busted you are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Swimming is worse. You don't even get to appreciate the scenery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Swimming is worse. You don't even get to appreciate the scenery.

You do if you "relax" at the shallow end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

mfceiling wrote: »
    You do if you "relax" at the shallow end.

How many pools is that you're barred from now, MF?

awec wrote: »
    Running is by far the most boring way to exercise. Started tracking my distance when playing 5 aside, I cover 4-5km a game and at least you're doing something to distract from how busted you are.

The problem with running is that it can be quite boring, but it's also by far the most efficient form of exercise.

Running is boring but it also allows you to throw on a podcast or music which passes the time fairly nicely. Once you're doing it for a few weeks, you also get competitive with yourself and set goals, distances, times etc.

It's not exactly thrilling but you can make it far more tolerable and, as Venjur says, it's exceptionally efficient for fitness and/or weight loss. It's also by far the most accessible form of fitness. You don't need anything more than a comfortable pair of running shoes and a road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm in the minority in that I don't find running the least bit boring, but coupled with it being an efficient form of exercise, it can also be efficient to fit into your day if you have the option of running to/from work. I wouldn't get nearly as much exercise otherwise.

I think I would go mental if I didn't listen to podcasts while running (outside of races). Can't even really deal with music anymore.

Assholes who get a "runners high" and find it all blissful can go and ****e.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think I would go mental if I didn't listen to podcasts while running (outside of races). Can't even really deal with music anymore.

Assholes who get a "runners high" and find it all blissful can go and ****e.

I struggle to run on a treadmill without listening to something, preferably a pod cast. I often watch matches on the treadmill that I might not watch in my spare time like opposition team prior fixtures when Leinster / Ireland are about to play them.

Outdoors though I don't listen to anything. I enjoy the run and the accomplishment of covering a nice bit of ground while out for a gallop. I'm probably as unfit currently as I've ever been so I don't get to take in some of the more scenic routes but I certainly can attest to that feeling of well being after a decent run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

aloooof wrote: »
    I'm in the minority in that I don't find running the least bit boring, but coupled with it being an efficient form of exercise, it can also be efficient to fit into your day if you have the option of running to/from work. I wouldn't get nearly as much exercise otherwise.

Running is great, if you are a stick insect with no knees. I on the other hand, am I suppose you'd say burly. I still have fluid in one knee because of a jogging habit I picked up. Nothing like the sound of both Achilles tendons clicking in the morning to get your day started.

Running is great, if you are a stick insect with no knees. I on the other hand, am I suppose you'd say burly. I still have fluid in one knee because of a jogging habit I picked up. Nothing like the sound of both Achilles tendons clicking in the morning to get your day started.

You my friend need to discover the benefits of stretching and drinking a lot of water.

I used to run over 100 miles a week and I've no issues with knees or joints and am approaching 40!

I used to run over 100 miles a week and I've no issues with knees or joints and am approaching 40!

You ran 4 marathons a week!?

I don't know if you know this but Venjur is kind of a big deal.

Yup, and all of that was just to run as fast as possible over 3 - 5k!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I was pushing out 16K per run towards the end, but common sense took over, I prefer my knees to not be on fire.

Bought insoles, spent hundreds on different trainers etc. Concentrated on my gait and footfalls while running, nothing to be done for it, just had to stop in the end.

Funnily enough, I wen't a lot better on thread-mills with a lot less pain. Back to my shed/gym and I cycle to work these days. No injury from cycling with the exception of a sore hole now and then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Yup, and all of that was just to run as fast as possible over 3 - 5k!

Genetic design and body frame has a big say in whether running is suitable for you or not though.
    Going back about ten years or so I was in good nick. My body fat % was 13/14%. The personal trainer I had strongly advised me against any sort of running other than brief slow treadmill work as part of warm up and cool down.
    "even with the best of footwear, you'll ruin your knees if you make them run carrying those shoulders on them"

I ignored him. Did a 10k for charity. Did 2 months prep for it. (49.31 was my time so no records broken!) My left knee is wanked since. Squashed the bejaysus out of my meniscus. Had keyhole surgery which didn't help a jot. Need to do regular squats and lunges to keep muscle tone up and if I do I'm grand.

Running is poo. (for some)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I’ve a good body shape and build for running but my technique is awful.

kuang1 wrote: »
    Genetic design and body frame has a big say in whether running is suitable for you or not though.
    Going back about ten years or so I was in good nick. My body fat % was 13/14%. The personal trainer I had strongly advised me against any sort of running other than brief slow treadmill work as part of warm up and cool down.
    "even with the best of footwear, you'll ruin your knees if you make them run carrying those shoulders on them"

I ignored him. Did a 10k for charity. Did 2 months prep for it. (49.31 was my time so no records broken!) My left knee is wanked since. Squashed the bejaysus out of my meniscus. Had keyhole surgery which didn't help a jot. Need to do regular squats and lunges to keep muscle tone up and if I do I'm grand.

Running is poo. (for some)

I don't know man, we've basically evolved to be long distance runners as a species. It's fundamentally the physical activity we're most naturally gifted and attuned to.

I've no doubt you can do damage quite quickly through running, but if you start out slow and stick to the grass and look after yourself you should be able to avoid a lot of the more damaging wear and tear.

I've known a lot of people who tried to get into running and just over did it to begin with resulting in injury, but I think with the right advice most people can start building mileage into their exercise routine.

awec wrote: »
    I’ve a good body shape and build for running but my technique is awful.

Hills.

Go the Killiney spire, 3 rock mountains or howth and start doing hill work.

Start off doing 30 seconds up at pace and 1 minute down recovery repeatedly and build from there over a few months until you are doing 75 seconds up and 45 down at a decent lick for the uphill part.

You can't "think" your way to running more efficiently but the best way to do it naturally is to train on relatively steep hills.

Your lower back, arse, hammers and calves will develop and your core will strengthen and it will straighten out your gait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I remember running after a bus once when I was 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

I don't know man, we've basically evolved to be long distance runners as a species. It's fundamentally the physical activity we're most naturally gifted and attuned to.

OK ok ok... Full disclosure: I have a very big head.
    Baseball caps look like thimbles on me.

Hills.

Go the Killiney spire, 3 rock mountains or howth and start doing hill work.

Start off doing 30 seconds up at pace and 1 minute down recovery repeatedly and build from there over a few months until you are doing 75 seconds up and 45 down at a decent lick for the uphill part.

You can't "think" your way to running more efficiently but the best way to do it naturally is to train on relatively steep hills.

Your lower back, arse, hammers and calves will develop and your core will strengthen and it will straighten out your gait.

Alternatively - run while drunk

https://www.marathondumedoc.com/en/

Yes but we weren't designed to sit in chairs 8 hours a day 5 days a week, and this severely impacts on that. The design you are talking about didn't account for modern footwear, which affects ankle stability and therefore how we run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Flight landed 35 mins ago. Taxis to gate. Still no one has left the plane because T2 has no one to drive the gantry thing. Fml.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Those Californian wildfires are absolutely horrific. 42 people now confirmed dead in the 'Camp' fire in northern Claifornia. An entire town; Paradise, has been destroyed and over seven thousand buildings. Two people are confirmed dead in the 'Woolsey' fire near LA. 75,000 homes were evacuated and many destroyed. Included are homes belonging to Neil Young, Gerard Butler and Miley Cyrus.

This cycle seems to be accelerating more and more. Wet weather brings masses of growth of brush and other plants, which then die out due to prolonged drought in the summer which then burns wildly leaving a nice layer of potash for the next growth spurt.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Those Californian wildfires are absolutely horrific. 42 people now confirmed dead in the 'Camp' fire in northern Claifornia. An entire town; Paradise, has been destroyed and over seven thousand buildings. Two people are confirmed dead in the 'Woolsey' fire near LA. 75,000 homes were evacuated and many destroyed. Included are homes belonging to Neil Young, Gerard Butler and Miley Cyrus.

This cycle seems to be accelerating more and more. Wet weather brings masses of growth of brush and other plants, which then die out due to prolonged drought in the summer which then burns wildly leaving a nice layer of potash for the next growth spurt.

Yeah it's a serious problem and there are no realistic solutions in the current political climate. I've friends who live around 50 miles away from the fires and the pictures they've posted would make you think the smoke was coming from up the road.

I just looked at Paradise, CA on Google Maps and Wiki. Last census in 2010 had the population at 26k. All burned out of their homes. Insane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise,_California

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Running is not for everyone. My body is much better built for swimming, I can't run 1km before my shin splints act up or my knee goes.

Yeah it's a serious problem and there are no realistic solutions in the current political climate. I've friends who live around 50 miles away from the fires and the pictures they've posted would make you think the smoke was coming from up the road.
    There are no realistic solutions full stop. The areas involved are massive and would require a huge amount of work just to create fire breaks. And even fire breaks aren't necessarily going to be effective when the winds get up. If you've ever seen a dry grass fire on a breezy day, you'd be gobsmacked at how quickly it travels. And the Santa Anas blow at upwards of 40mph. I've no idea what the answer is tbh.

There are no realistic solutions full stop. The areas involved are massive and would require a huge amount of work just to create fire breaks. And even fire breaks aren't necessarily going to be effective when the winds get up. If you've ever seen a dry grass fire on a breezy day, you'd be gobsmacked at how quickly it travels. And the Santa Anas blow at upwards of 40mph. I've no idea what the answer is tbh.

The answer is to create fire breaks and to increase accessibility to the areas (many of which are specifically designed to be inaccessible in order to increase land value). Still resisted amazingly.

Credit to the firefighters, incredible job to do. Anything they request should be afforded them in stopping these disasters. I was living directly across a motorway from a wildfire a while ago and it was just incredible to watch. Truly humbling.

BUILD THE WALL

These fires are not bringing their best kindling

• Advertisement

The answer is to create fire breaks and to increase accessibility to the areas (many of which are specifically designed to be inaccessible in order to increase land value). Still resisted amazingly.

Credit to the firefighters, incredible job to do. Anything they request should be afforded them in stopping these disasters. I was living directly across a motorway from a wildfire a while ago and it was just incredible to watch. Truly humbling.
    Creating firebreaks would be a massive job. The Woolsey fire covers something like 200 square miles. I suppose at a minimum, creating firebreaks around towns and villages would be a start. But they'd have to be massive and constantly worked because stuff grows when the conditions are right.

Creating firebreaks would be a massive job. The Woolsey fire covers something like 200 square miles. I suppose at a minimum, creating firebreaks around towns and villages would be a start. But they'd have to be massive and constantly worked because stuff grows when the conditions are right.

There is no instant fix for sure, but the problem was decades in the making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

One of the problems apparently is that park rangers are so good at preventing small fires, the brush never gets cleared and makes it pretty ripe for the really big fires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They used to do an awful lot more controlled fires to try and prevent major ones like they've been having, but funding has been cut.

Also the climate change, longer summers and less rain meaning over the last couple years everything's dried up a lot.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

They used to do an awful lot more controlled fires to try and prevent major ones like they've been having, but funding has been cut.

Also the climate change, longer summers and less rain meaning over the last couple years everything's dried up a lot.

California's been in drought for years, massively unhelped by the fact that companies are following the dropping water table down with pipe extensions. Are nestle the main culprit there? Can't remember.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement