Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Labour are biding their time. They've already signalled indirect support for a second referendum just this week. They don't want to lose the leave element of their base and want to pull as many of them into their voting pool before they cut the legs from under Brexit.

I'm convinced Corybn is playing pure politics on this one and has positioned himself as being in favour of leave whilst his Party are largely on the other side. Optically that's a setup which both leavers and remainers may feel comfortable with.

I think the Tory's are headed for a generation in ignominy.

Nah, he's an ideological Eurosceptic, it's not playing politics. He genuinely wants out of the EU. He did f*ck all to campaign for Remain. If Labour replaced him with Keir Starmer and campaigned for a second referendum and a pro-remain platform they would walk the election. As it is, even with the Tories in complete disarray, they are still behind in the polls with Corbyn. He is unelectable as PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Labour are biding their time. They've already signalled indirect support for a second referendum just this week. They don't want to lose the leave element of their base and want to pull as many of them into their voting pool before they cut the legs from under Brexit.

I'm convinced Corybn is playing pure politics on this one and has positioned himself as being in favour of leave whilst his Party are largely on the other side. Optically that's a setup which both leavers and remainers may feel comfortable with.

I think the Tory's are headed for a generation in ignominy.

I think you're being really, really optimistic. It seems to me that Corbyn is just bored with the Brexit talk, is happy enough with it but would prefer to get back to his own pet issues.

Because to be fair, Brexit is drowning out everything else.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Nah, he's an ideological Eurosceptic, it's not playing politics. He genuinely wants out of the EU. He did f*ck all to campaign for Remain. If Labour replaced him with Keir Starmer and campaigned for a second referendum and a pro-remain platform they would walk the election. As it is, even with the Tories in complete disarray, they are still behind in the polls with Corbyn. He is unelectable as PM.
    troyzer wrote: »
    I think you're being really, really optimistic. It seems to me that Corbyn is just bored with the Brexit talk, is happy enough with it but would prefer to get back to his own pet issues.

Because to be fair, Brexit is drowning out everything else.

I think if Corbyn was truly Eurosceptic then he'd be gone as leader. Cameron didn't exactly kill himself on the campaign trail for remain either let's not forget. Labour are natural bed buddies of the EU which has done absolute wonders for UK labour laws.

The Tories are in the throes of a party fracturing civil war.

The DUP threatened to bring the Government down but are now saying get rid of May and the deal and they'll maintain confidence.

The SNP want what the DUP don't want.

Mogg wants May gone and a no deal.

Davis wants May gone, he wants to break their international agreements and begin external trade talks now and wants to dictate a deal to the EU who will 'come around'.

Boris hasn't said much yet but the one definite is that when he does it will make things worse.

The only reason the Tories numbers haven't completely sunk yet is that there is no alternative that people want until Labour take a strong position. Labour are waiting for the Tories to completely collapse and I'm quietly confident once that happens you will see Corbyn adopt a more pro EU tone then.

Backing a second referendum yesterday was a lot more game changing than people realise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

and that will end the politics discussion for today

and that will end the politics discussion for today

Just out of curiosity, why?

• Advertisement

Can we create a separate thread for politics discussion - it's going to be an eventful few weeks and plenty on here seem to enjoy discussing it?

Can we create a separate thread for politics discussion - it's going to be an eventful few weeks and plenty on here seem to enjoy discussing it?

I thought the whole point of this thread WAS to discuss things like politics.

really? I don't get to see pitch from y bar and rely on hearing crowd or talking to customers and the atmosphere tonight was well below any big or somewhat big Rigby game.

Yeah in my experience the crowd were much louder for yesterday's friendly then any other rugby match I've been to at the aviva.

You seem to be at every match though so what do I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Just out of curiosity, why?

It's against the charter

Zzippy wrote: »
    Thread continued from here

The usual rules apply. Non-rugby talk here. Consider this a social place, but like a pub, things like religion and politics can be divisive, so don't say things here you wouldn't say to someone's face in the pub. Sober ;)
    It's against the charter

Fair enough, should probably clarify it in the opening post though because post #1 suggests that we should just be careful around politics and religion.

On a seperate topic, is there any merit to the FAI burning everything down and trying to rebuild along the lines of the IRFU?

• Advertisement

I thought the whole point of this thread WAS to discuss things like politics.

Politics has been banned for a long time but I think there was a general trend that non Irish politics were external enough to be ok hence the occasional conversations around UK and US politics.

A middle ground contained in a separate thread seems harmless enough to me if there was scope for it. There are political tectonic plates moving in the US and UK at the moment and there has often been interesting discussions and perspectives within this specific forum.

I appreciate that AH or political forums exist but those places are daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

On a seperate topic, is there any merit to the FAI burning everything down and trying to rebuild along the lines of the IRFU?

Won't happen. Too many people within the organisations pockets being lined. And in terms of unification between the FAI and the IFA, they're too long established for it to work. The first step would be an All Ireland league though, which really should have happened a long time ago.

Anybody use kodi? Recommend any add ons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The charter is clear that there should be no politics talk.

The charter can only be changed by a boards rugby consitutional referendum and that constitutional referendum can only be called by the father of the house, jacothelad. However unfortunately as political talk is banned, it would be against the rules for him to call such a referendum. As such, the charter will remain unchanged.

The charter can only be changed by a boards rugby consitutional referendum and that constitutional referendum can only be called by the father of the house, jacothelad. However unfortunately as political talk is banned, it would be against the rules for him to call such a referendum. As such, the charter will remain unchanged.

So sayeth the spider.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Is Kodi still working? Thought that went the way of rubik's cube

stephen_n wrote: »
    Is Kodi still working? Thought that went the way of rubik's cube

A timeless classic?

I got a new firestick only yesterday so seeing what I can do with it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Absolutely hate it. Every time I've given it a spin, I've been reminded of how 1990's the UI is. Stupidly slow, clunky and error-prone.

Get plex and ace stream. Never look back.

A timeless classic?

I got a new firestick only yesterday so seeing what I can do with it

laying in a box somewhere untouched!

dregin wrote: »
    Absolutely hate it. Every time I've given it a spin, I've been reminded of how 1990's the UI is. Stupidly slow, clunky and error-prone.

Get plex and ace stream. Never look back.

The UI is shockingly bad. I already had a chromecast but needed a second one so opted for a firestick. I can't believe you can't do basic casting to a TV out of the box on a firestick. Have to sideload some app to get it working. I have plex already set up. I'll check out ace stream. Not familiar with that.

Not impressed at all with the firestick so far. Having to type with that remote is awful. Far better to do everything with your phone and cast to a screen.

• Advertisement

The UI is shockingly bad. I already had a chromecast but needed a second one so opted for a firestick. I can't believe you can't do basic casting to a TV out of the box on a firestick. Have to sideload some app to get it working. I have plex already set up. I'll check out ace stream. Not familiar with that.

Not impressed at all with the firestick so far. Having to type with that remote is awful. Far better to do everything with your phone and cast to a screen.

Don't like the Firestick for that, the remoting of apps is a pain in the ass. Got my parents one and don't like the UI at all. Works for what they need it for as they only use one app.

The Alexa remote is handy for that, but again, having to speak to search is brutal

The Alexa remote is handy for that, but again, having to speak to search is brutal

I don't mind having to speak as I've gotten used to it when driving. But sometimes I'm at a point where I need to type something, I go to speak, and it searches a completely different section rather than inputting the typing field I have in focus.

How can we even trust the charter when it was put together by a bunch of shady, un-elected bureaucrats mods, I reckon we should take back our sovereign rugby sub forum, write our own charter and format a thick border around it.

We should have a posters vote on it, a vote to take more ownership of boards rugby. If YOU want more ownership then support a posters vote for our MORE OWNERSHIP movement or MORON for short!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

I'm guessing that the kind of add-ons you'd be interested in are the kind of ones that we're not allowed to talk about here so the anything I say in the rest of the post will just be generic kodi talk and definitely noting to do with the kind of add ons that we can't talk about ;)

Kodi was the way to go for a long time but an increase in the number of option, particularly on mobile, have led to somewhat of an exodus away from it. This was not helped by the fact that a number of high profile prosecutions of developers of add-ons however there is somewhat of a covenant between developers and users that when one gets shut down another one will spring up. There's plenty of info out there you just need a yoda style person to help you find it on Google

Anyone else getting that database issue last night? That’s been happening on and off all week. Be a pain in the hole if it’s doing that tonight during the game.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Anyone else getting that database issue last night? That’s been happening on and off all week. Be a pain in the hole if it’s doing that tonight during the game.

This wouldn't happen If we took More Ownership. We could fully fund the rugby forum and stop paying 350 million a week to boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

This wouldn't happen If we took More Ownership. We could fully fund the rugby forum and stop paying 350 million a week to boards.ie.

Venjur for Admin anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Boring auld night lads

• Advertisement

DGRulz wrote: »
    Venjur for Admin anyone?

Ill create a new account called Vengel Jurrage...

The FAI are such a bag of ****e compared to tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

No need for that.

There's a tweet floating around of an incident in the Macau Formula 3 race today....
    Edit got it ..have a look.. viewer discretion etc

https://twitter.com/heraldsunsport/status/1064089412349452288?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I hope IBF isn't watching.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I hope IBF isn't watching.

Suddenly a one score game out of absolutely nowhere.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Suddenly a one score game out of absolutely nowhere.

The Bucs are a mad team.

All hail Khalil Mack.

All hail Khalil Mack.

That trade is just the absolute epitome of the Raiders. He's an absolute monster.

Should have bought another chromecast. This firestick is a waste of space. Useful for my granny who just wants a netflix machine maybe. Not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Should have bought another chromecast. This firestick is a waste of space. Useful for my granny who just wants a netflix machine maybe. Not for me.

It's very very useful for KODI etc. Also useful if you have amazon Prime and wanna use Amazon Prime Video.

• Advertisement

That trade is just the absolute epitome of the Raiders. He's an absolute monster.

The can't even tank correctly :pac:

Used one for IPTV, just for sky sports and that a while back, they're not bad for that + Netflix and Prime Video.

The can't even tank correctly :pac:

If the Bears make the playoffs (highly likely after last night's win), their first round pick next year which Oakland now possess would be at least in the 20s.
    Moreover, the Bears and Raiders swapped first and second rounders in the following draft and the difference between them may not be vast.

TL/DR: The eventual price paid by the Bears for Mack might be feck all.

Unless the Raiders hit a home run in the next two drafts (e.g. New Orleans' draft last year), this is looking like an idiotic trade by them. I don't buy the 'saved money' guff. If you're lucky to have drafted a superstar and he's still in his prime, then you pay up.

If the Bears make the playoffs (highly likely after last night's win), their first round pick next year which Oakland now possess would be at least in the 20s.
    Moreover, the Bears and Raiders swapped first and second rounders in the following draft and the difference between them may not be vast.

TL/DR: The eventual price paid by the Bears for Mack might be feck all.

Unless the Raiders hit a home run in the next two drafts (e.g. New Orleans' draft last year), this is looking like an idiotic trade by them. I don't buy the 'saved money' guff. If you're lucky to have drafted a superstar and he's still in his prime, then you pay up.

Gruden is an awful coach, an awful judge of players and will drive the Raiders into the dirt before receiving a handsome payoff to **** off.

He became a commentator for a reason.

Lads are companies taking the piss with GDPR. Friend ordered a load of shopping to my place from supervalue online, didn't arrive. I called them, with the correct order number, address and phone number. And they wouldn't tell me anything becuase I wasn't the account holder. The ****.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Lads are companies taking the piss with GDPR. Friend ordered a load of shopping to my place from supervalue online, didn't arrive. I called them, with the correct order number, address and phone number. And they wouldn't tell me anything becuase I wasn't the account holder. The ****.

That was more than likely the case before GDPR, usually with stuff like that only the account holder can discuss their account, or someone else with verbal consent of the account holder. At least that's how it used to roll when I was working in a call centre.

There's ridiculously strict fines around giving out customer information without the customer being aware.

errlloyd wrote: »

Yeah, this isn't really new. On the other hand just pretend you are them and it will probably work out fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Yeah, this isn't really new. On the other hand just pretend you are them and it will probably work out fine.

This. Our Broadband and TV stuff is in my Dad's name but hes never home and tbh he's useless at tech stuff. So when I call them to complain about something I'm DGRulz the senior :pac:. Never had a problem. Only one I won't do for the folks is the bank.

DGRulz wrote: »
    This. Our Broadband and TV stuff is in my Dad's name but hes never home and tbh he's useless at tech stuff. So when I call them to complain about something I'm DGRulz the senior :pac:. Never had a problem. Only one I won't do for the folks is the bank.

I was tempted to make a complaint that they were sexist because they didn't believe my name was Katie.

'Curling team sorry for drunk incident'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11558774

Of all the sports you'd expect to see drunken antics... curling would not be high on anybody's list I'd say :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement