Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's fairly wet out.

The wind is worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's fairly wet out.

Try standing on the 5th floor of a building that has no windows..actually no walls on the outside at all...just a poxy shell.
    Handed a set of lay out drawings at 6.35 this morning and was told to hand the floor over before 4. FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

mfceiling wrote: »
    Try standing on the 5th floor of a building that has no windows..actually no walls on the outside at all...just a poxy shell.
    Handed a set of lay out drawings at 6.35 this morning and was told to hand the floor over before 4. FML.

And here you are, pricking about on your phone! Get back to it!

I do not envy anyone working outdoors today. Grim. And the forecast for the next week is fairly miserable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

troyzer wrote: »
    Sitting in the airport and there are Christmas tunes on.

That's the first time I've heard any. Seems earlier and earlier every year.

Trying working as a DJ, the Christmas parties started about 2 weeks ago and last year the last one we did was in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

mfceiling wrote: »

I drove into town today because I didn't want to get wet on my 10 minute walk from the bus stop.

So yeah, my work day's been pretty hard too :p

This is the most amazingly ironic thing I've ever listened to. The greatest minds in situational comedy could never write something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

This is the most amazingly ironic thing I've ever listened to. The greatest minds in situational comedy could never write something like this.

No Venjur, you're a clown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

So the other half asked me to talk dirty.

POM, Jerome Kaino, Richard Hill...

She was not impressed.

“But you said let’s talk about six, baby”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

swiwi_ wrote: »

She was not impressed.

Just quietly whisper "You wanna get real dirty, think of what Alan Quinlan could do with his fingers"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

swiwi_ wrote: »

She was not impressed.

I suppose in a kiwi accent that probably sounds funny.

• Advertisement

Despite all the attention and focus on the NFL and concussion in recent seasons, it doesn't really appear to be changing that much. One of the stars of the league, Alvin Kamara was completely smashed, helmet to helmet. Got to his feet, visibly wobbled and came off the field as his team were punting the ball away on the next play anyway.

No call on the dangerous hit and, when the opposition fumbled on their next drive and Kamara's team got the ball back, he was straight back in. All the talk this morning is of the missed call....no mention of the fact that a guy who was clearly dazed and unsteady on his feet was back on the field and was actually targetted with a pass immediately.

I know rugby is far from perfect but I get the impression it's going to get the concussion situation under control (as much as possible) far more efficiently than the NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Despite all the attention and focus on the NFL and concussion in recent seasons, it doesn't really appear to be changing that much. One of the stars of the league, Alvin Kamara was completely smashed, helmet to helmet. Got to his feet, visibly wobbled and came off the field as his team were punting the ball away on the next play anyway.

No call on the dangerous hit and, when the opposition fumbled on their next drive and Kamara's team got the ball back, he was straight back in. All the talk this morning is of the missed call....no mention of the fact that a guy who was clearly dazed and unsteady on his feet was back on the field and was actually targetted with a pass immediately.

I know rugby is far from perfect but I get the impression it's going to get the concussion situation under control (as much as possible) far more efficiently than the NFL.

In the pre-season officials made a point about penalising any helmet-to-helmet contact. The media went to town on it (there were a few over the top penalties IIRC) and in the regular season it was forgotten.

I think they need to extend coach challenges' to allow for a review of possible personal foul penalties. On review the Kamara hit would almost certainly have been ruled a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That incident aside, the playoffs in the NFC side look like they could be fantastic. The Rams and Saints are very strong but are not invincible, the Cowboys are an emerging team after looking done a few weeks ago and the Bears have a defense that will strike fear in any team. Sprinkle in two wildcard teams and it's going to be great to watch.

What does everyone think of the whole Mueller investigation over the last couple of days, with Cohen folding like a deckchair?

What does everyone think of the whole Mueller investigation over the last couple of days, with Cohen folding like a deckchair?

It's been interesting. Cohen folded months ago, but it looks like the special prosecutors have been extremely careful in drip feeding information and working from the very outside of the conspiracy in, closing all the potential exits along the way.

It's all pretty complicated. There appears to have been a good deal of trade craft going on in the background. In a very basic way - the special counsel has a bunch of charges against Trump surrogates. They've gotten indictments on some but stayed silent on others - in particular those which incriminate Trump.

The Trump surrogates (Manafort etc.,) have been communicating through their legal teams with Trump's legal team. Corsi admitted on Tuesday that his legal team and Trump's are cooperating with each other.

The prosecutors gave Trump's surrogates an impression of the direction the investigation was going which was intentionally misleading. As a result, Trump gave an affidavit answering questions by the prosecutor believing that he was safe to mislead them - based on his false understanding of the evidence that they have through what his surrogates have shared with him.

It now appears that he has committed perjury which is a felony, but so far - he is only guilty of lying under oath, the full details of what it is that he was trying to conceal has yet to be released. We've seen snippets, it may just be collusion relating to the DNC hack and the subsequent cover up but given that Deutsch bank have been raided and a tax lawyer Trump used previously has been raided at the same time this week it's starting to look a lot more broad.

A supreme court judge recently retired in the US who was the father of a senior Deutsch bank executive. It's believed this happened as he would have had to recuse himself from any decision relating to Trump, Deutsch bank and money laundering which would have left the bench leaning away from the GOP.

Getting him off the bench and a replacement (ideally one with strong views of executive power) was critical for them, hence the entire debacle with Kavanaugh.

It looks like the hand Trump is playing is to obstruct and deny and when prosecuted to argue that as President he can only be prosecuted by the senate (who won't do it as a republican majority). This will ultimately end up in the Supreme Court which he has stacked in his favour. I doubt very much that Trump will run again, and if Republicans find a strong candidate and can secure the presidency, they'll stay on this course and pardon the investigation away labelling it a witch hunt.

The scandal may grow too great for the Republicans before that, but it looks like they are badly exposed (they were also hacked by the Russians, but that info has never been released) and will attempt to ride their luck, hiding behind the idea that they have a duty to support the president and hoping they can swing the 2020 elections their way.

It's going to get really messy now. By January we'll have a better idea of the charges against Trump, if they are devastating and the republicans refuse to budge there will be protests. If it's bad and justice isn't served we're in similar territory to where Turkey were just before Erdogan rounded up the judges and faked a coup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I see Newstalk have given Peter Casey a job. As good a reason as any to stop listening completely.

The traveller furore was one thing, but the man himself just appears to be a waffler. Campaigned for the Presidency but didn't seem to have a notion as to what the powers of the office actually were.

Clegg wrote: »
    I see Newstalk have given Peter Casey a job. As good a reason as any to stop listening completely.

The traveller furore was one thing, but the man himself just appears to be a waffler. Campaigned for the Presidency but didn't seem to have a notion as to what the powers of the office actually were.

Newstalk is a real mongrel channel. Seems to be courting the right now but would have been one of the more liberal channels much of the last decade.

I think it's a terrible idea. The guy is a spoofer. He took a situation with a lot of anger between two distinctive communities and tried to drag it into the gutter for the sake of an already failed presidential bid. It takes a wicked kind of vanity to consciously stir and then stoke an issue just to make you look slightly better than your rich acquaintances that are also competing for the same prize.

There was a contempt to his comments after the campaign and a sincere bitterness that I'm convinced has lost him a lot of that 23% he pissed on the curtains to earn.

I reckon this has a decent chance of alienating a lot of Newstalk listeners, it certainly has for me. Worse though, it gives Casey a platform from which to launch a legitimate political career in the lead up to the next general. For Newstalk this fills the grumpy, older, tell it like it is, right wing, white male advocate, George Hook spot.

Hook was just too toxic for the station to stand by and in his attempts to alienate and offend large parts of society (for the amusement of a few) he ended up burning his wings and crashing out of media with a permanently tarnished reputation. I'd say he gets filthy looks in public, probably a fair bit of support at times too sadly enough.

Newstalk obviously feel there is still a market for that type of personality - but much like George, I suspect that they are flying too close to the sun for their own good with Casey. My hope is that this fails quickly, but lasts just long enough to similarly tarnish Casey's reputation.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What is it with kids toys and toilet functions?

awec wrote: »
    What is it with kids toys and toilet functions?

Trying to normalise it from a young age so it doesn't turn into a fetish...

• Advertisement

Trying to normalise it from a young age so it doesn't turn into a fetish...

So now we know what happened to him

Child on the late late just promised everyone in the audience a gaff when he grows up and becomes a builder.

Good deal that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    Child on the late late just promised everyone in the audience a gaff when he grows up and becomes a builder.

Good deal that.

When the kids are good on this show they’re gold. You can’t buy comedy like it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Oh the feelzzzzz

Someone cutting onions there lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ah jaysus lads. The blind kid and the marrow doner. Incredible scenes.

• Advertisement

Watching the toy show this morning, the 15 year old opera singer, was it just me or was Tubridy awful creepy there?

"giving us hope in the future..."

The toy show is awful. Bah humbug.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Newstalk is a real mongrel channel. Seems to be courting the right now but would have been one of the more liberal channels much of the last decade.

I think it's a terrible idea. The guy is a spoofer. He took a situation with a lot of anger between two distinctive communities and tried to drag it into the gutter for the sake of an already failed presidential bid. It takes a wicked kind of vanity to consciously stir and then stoke an issue just to make you look slightly better than your rich acquaintances that are also competing for the same prize.

There was a contempt to his comments after the campaign and a sincere bitterness that I'm convinced has lost him a lot of that 23% he pissed on the curtains to earn.

I reckon this has a decent chance of alienating a lot of Newstalk listeners, it certainly has for me. Worse though, it gives Casey a platform from which to launch a legitimate political career in the lead up to the next general. For Newstalk this fills the grumpy, older, tell it like it is, right wing, white male advocate, George Hook spot.

Hook was just too toxic for the station to stand by and in his attempts to alienate and offend large parts of society (for the amusement of a few) he ended up burning his wings and crashing out of media with a permanently tarnished reputation. I'd say he gets filthy looks in public, probably a fair bit of support at times too sadly enough.

Newstalk obviously feel there is still a market for that type of personality - but much like George, I suspect that they are flying too close to the sun for their own good with Casey. My hope is that this fails quickly, but lasts just long enough to similarly tarnish Casey's reputation.

I'm not sure Newstalk is courting the right. I don't listen to Breakfast but Ciara Kelly, Moncreiff, and OTB have nothing to do with the right. Pat Kenny is neutral and Yates is just a big WUM to everyone no matter what their political allegiance is. The only thing you can trust Yates to actually care about is calling how elections will go and horse racing :pac:

I'm not sure the relevance of saying Hook is white, the country is over 90% whit,. 2% Asian, 1% Black, 1% Traveller, the rest not stated.

I know it's popular say people who we don't like are right wing but Hook was very much pro gay marriage and as far as I know pro choice too or at least not pro life. So why do you say he's right wing?

In general I don't think he alienated large part of the country either. What he said on rape was silly but a lot of people, not a minority, had the same view and are disgusted he lost his job over it. Which kind of reinforces that Newstalk aren't courting the right.

As for Casey I dunno why anyone would give him a TV or radio job, he can barely string a sentence together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm not sure Newstalk is courting the right. I don't listen to Breakfast but Ciara Kelly, Moncreiff, and OTB have nothing to do with the right. Pat Kenny is neutral and Yates is just a big WUM to everyone no matter what their political allegiance is. The only thing you can trust Yates to actually care about is calling how elections will go and horse racing :pac:

I'm not sure the relevance of saying Hook is white, the country is over 90% whit,. 2% Asian, 1% Black, 1% Traveller, the rest not stated.

I know it's popular say people who we don't like are right wing but Hook was very much pro gay marriage and as far as I know pro choice too or at least not pro life. So why do you say he's right wing?

In general I don't think he alienated large part of the country either. What he said on rape was silly but a lot of people, not a minority, had the same view and are disgusted he lost his job over it. Which kind of reinforces that Newstalk aren't courting the right.

As for Casey I dunno why anyone would give him a TV or radio job, he can barely string a sentence together!

Where are you getting this information that a majority of people are disgusted that George Hook lost his job?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

People I talk to on my travels around Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Ah, Paddy O'Gorman!! I wondered what had happened to you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ah right, it's a Rory Stewart number!

What he said about rape wasn't silly, it was abhorrent. Yes, we all need to be mindful of dangers - but that in no way mitigates or excuses a rapist, nor is rape in anyway a justifiable punishment for a women trusting a man she shouldn't. Regardless of the case it was about, it's an awful toxic mindset and far worse than 'silly'.

His comments on cyclists are similarly ridiculous and do nothing to reduce tension and dangers on the road. I read somewhere that the week after he called cyclists nazi's - there were two cyclists killed on the roads. The defence counsel representing one of those drivers a few months back made similar comments trying to blame the cycling - albeit the enquiry rested the entire blame on the driver.

He may say things in belief that there are no consequences, but he is very much responsible for spreading a lot of negativity which reinforces attitudes that blame women for wearing frilly knickers.

My comment on skin colour was a bit of an Americanisation, but young to middle aged somewhat angry white men are typically the target audience for right wing media personalities.

I obviously don't have your insights from travelling around Ireland talking to people about their opinions of George, but my circle of friends and acquaintances would be very familiar with him from rugby and Newstalk (some were coached by him in rugby) and each and every one of them have gone from tolerating him a few years ago, to dismissing him as his rugby commentary soured on certain personalities to actively disliking him over his rhetoric towards women and other groups.

I don't know a single person who isn't glad he is off the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Absolutely. Good riddance to him

The only crowd I've ever heard say they disagreed with Hook being sacked is the same crowd who says everything is "pc gone mad".

What he said about rape wasn't silly, it was abhorrent. Yes, we all need to be mindful of dangers - but that in no way mitigates or excuses a rapist, nor is rape in anyway a justifiable punishment for a women trusting a man she shouldn't. Regardless of the case it was about, it's an awful toxic mindset and far worse than 'silly'.

His comments on cyclists are similarly ridiculous and do nothing to reduce tension and dangers on the road. I read somewhere that the week after he called cyclists nazi's - there were two cyclists killed on the roads. The defence counsel representing one of those drivers a few months back made similar comments trying to blame the cycling - albeit the enquiry rested the entire blame on the driver.

He may say things in belief that there are no consequences, but he is very much responsible for spreading a lot of negativity which reinforces attitudes that blame women for wearing frilly knickers.

My comment on skin colour was a bit of an Americanisation, but young to middle aged somewhat angry white men are typically the target audience for right wing media personalities.

I obviously don't have your insights from travelling around Ireland talking to people about their opinions of George, but my circle of friends and acquaintances would be very familiar with him from rugby and Newstalk (some were coached by him in rugby) and each and every one of them have gone from tolerating him a few years ago, to dismissing him as his rugby commentary soured on certain personalities to actively disliking him over his rhetoric towards women and other groups.

I don't know a single person who isn't glad he is off the air.

And he apologised and said he was wrong about what he said.

You're projecting with what you say about women and frilly knickers. I don't know what his thoughts are on that, so I'm surprised that you do.

One of the reasons that I pointed out about your white male comments, and is a bit reinforced about what you said about him and knickers, is that there seems to be, with some people, an if you don't agree with me on this thing then you disagree with me on everything. Which is obviously not true to life. I disagreed with loads of things he said, his views on cyclist being one.

What happens in America happens in America but I don't think Hook being white has much, if any, influence on his opinions. I'm still not sure why you think he's right wing?

He's also far from a woman hater, if that's what you mean I'm not sure. Ciara Kelly owes her radio career to him and he had a 30 min slot every Friday with a female panel.

As for is there anyone glad he's off the air, the radio forum on here might change your view on that a bit.

I say all this without being a Hook fan. I just disagree with all the stuff thrown his way.

Happy enough he is off air but Hook wasn't right wing. He was just entirely out of touch on certain topics. He regularly opposed Michael Graham on his show, a man who was genuinely right wing.

He had no place hosting a national show at this point in his life but he had built up a following who were very familiar with him and enjoyed his spiel therefore NT found a place for him repeatedly. It's a commercial station so that shouldn't surprise anyone.

I don't think NT are becoming right wing in any way. Paul Williams, Hook and Yates were the only presenters someone could consider right leaning and that was only on certain topics or, in the case of Yates, a complete wind up where you can actually hear him laughing as he says something outlandish.

The right wing leanings are more than outweighed by the left leanings of their other presenters who are more numerous.

Ireland getting a decent enough group for the 2020 euros... Switzerland.. Denmark, and Georgia so far....edit..and gibraltar ...we missed all the big guns

Feel sorry for Norn Iron... Germany and Holland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ireland getting a decent enough group for the 2020 euros... Switzerland.. Denmark, and Georgia so far....edit..and gibraltar ...we missed all the big guns

Feel sorry for Norn Iron... Germany and Holland

Denmark, who like, beat us 5-0 last year? Oh... yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Switzerland are a better side than us too. We'll be doing very well to qualify. Hopefully the new manager situation gives us a bit of a bounce because we've been awful

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Denmark, who like, beat us 5-0 last year? Oh... yay!

We actually got drawn with Germany & Holland..
    The only reason we didn't go in that pot is because we are co-hosts..
    And you can't have 3 co-host sides in the same group....would take the group we are in all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Any sparkys on here? I had a small DIY snafu this weekend that I'm hoping I can fix without having to call an electrician. I wrote up the problem on the electrical forum, link below, if any thinks they might be able to help, or just wants to have a laugh at my mistakes

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057934498/1/#post108780441

The Journal have one of their fact check articles up about the story yesterday about HSE workers being banned from using words like "pet" and "love". It turns out they are not banned.

https://www.thejournal.ie/factcheck-pet-names-hosital-4374213-Dec2018/?utm_source=shortlink

It really shows how many outlets don't bother with the actual truth and just go with what will fill the paper or airwaves.

The Journal have one of their fact check articles up about the story yesterday about HSE workers being banned from using words like "pet" and "love". It turns out they are not banned.

It really shows how many outlets don't bother with the actual truth and just go with what will fill the paper or airwaves.

I genuinely thought it was a Waterford Whisperers story.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The only crowd I've ever heard say they disagreed with Hook being sacked is the same crowd who says everything is "pc gone mad".

While I wouldn't be one of the "PC gone mad" brigade, this banning of the song Baby It's Cold Outside really does seem to be "PC gone mad". It really reminds me of A Time To Kill. The defences medical expert gets trashed due to the quashed statutory rape charges. It sounds really bad and the expert looks awful for it. But in the closing arguments we learn that he was only a few months older than the girl in question and the two went on to get married and are still married when the court case is taking place. The context utterly changes the perception of the incident.

This song is from a Hollywood musical from the 40s which tells the story of a first date between a couple. They have a good time, she decides she wants to leave, he tries to convince her not to. The song never says what happens next. But in the film, she leaves and he doesn't react badly to it at all. The long and the short of it is that they continue to see each other and eventually get married. And yet somehow this song is deemed to be inappropriate. All because of 1 line from what I can tell ("Say what's in this drink"). What the song is actually about and the entire context behind it and it's very reason for existing all seem irrelevant. Instead what matters is what people project onto the song now. It's just bizarre.

molloyjh wrote: »
    While I wouldn't be one of the "PC gone mad" brigade, this banning of the song Baby It's Cold Outside really does seem to be "PC gone mad". It really reminds me of A Time To Kill. The defences medical expert gets trashed due to the quashed statutory rape charges. It sounds really bad and the expert looks awful for it. But in the closing arguments we learn that he was only a few months older than the girl in question and the two went on to get married and are still married when the court case is taking place. The context utterly changes the perception of the incident.

This song is from a Hollywood musical from the 40s which tells the story of a first date between a couple. They have a good time, she decides she wants to leave, he tries to convince her not to. The song never says what happens next. But in the film, she leaves and he doesn't react badly to it at all. The long and the short of it is that they continue to see each other and eventually get married. And yet somehow this song is deemed to be inappropriate. All because of 1 line from what I can tell ("Say what's in this drink"). What the song is actually about and the entire context behind it and it's very reason for existing all seem irrelevant. Instead what matters is what people project onto the song now. It's just bizarre.

Have you seen the latest PETA campaign? To stop using anti-animal language.

They want phrases like "kill two birds with one stone", "bring home the bacon", "flog a dead horse", "take the bull by the horns" to be "socially unacceptable".

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Have you seen the latest PETA campaign? To stop using anti-animal language.

They want phrases like "kill two birds with one stone", "bring home the bacon", "flog a dead horse", "take the bull by the horns" to be "socially unacceptable".

Hilarious

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Hilarious

The suggested replacements are even funnier
    1c6957cc-3dc3-4dc2-b5d9-0eb82b8911b2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

As a young, millennial hard core lefty can I just make it clear that this kind of PC ****e is madness.

A lot of older people associate people like me with this movement, please don't.

I do believe in some things which would be considered PC, but this is going too far.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    As a young, millennial hard core lefty can I just make it clear that this kind of PC ****e is madness.

A lot of older people associate people like me with this movement, please don't.

I do believe in some things which would be considered PC, but this is going too far.

Yeah but we're spending all our money on avocado instead of buying houses and diamonds apparently.

Although for .ak that probably is true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement