Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

troyzer wrote: »
    My Broncos are still in this, that's all that matters.

They should be able to win out, they just need a bit of help from the teams ahead of them in the wild card chase
    Well you've cursed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Buer wrote: »
    My Broncos are still in this, that's all that matters.

They should be able to win out, they just need a bit of help from the teams ahead of them in the wild card chase
    Well you've cursed them.

Yep.

I'm going to sleep now.

**** my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I don't watch NFL a lot but I've always wondered why that doesn't happen more.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Watch a real sport. I think the billiards are on the telly at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

bilston wrote: »
    I don't watch NFL a lot but I've always wondered why that doesn't happen more.

A backwards pass that is dropped by the receiver is a fumble. The risk/reward means backwards passes are only used in desperate situations like today's or on trick plays.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A backwards pass that is dropped by the receiver is a fumble. The risk/reward means backwards passes are only used in desperate situations like today's or on trick plays.

I'm still pretty convinced that they should absolutely be used more. On top of which, when they do use them the passes are often absolutely appalling.

Podge_irl wrote: »

I'm still pretty convinced that they should absolutely be used more. On top of which, when they do use them the passes are often absolutely appalling.

There's probably a bit of a niché there that a good coach could exploit.

But realistically, it makes little sense. The risk reward isn't there and you're better off having battering rams in front of you can block tacklers away from you than having them next to you ready to take an offload.

The Seahawks hired a coach to work with their secondary specifically to teach them to rugby tackle and put carriers to ground. It is insane that these guys don't know how to take someone down effectively.

Anyone looking for a perfect example should watch Derrick Henry's 99 yard TD this week against the Jags. In the NFL, it is considered one of the most impressive plays of recent years. In rugby, the focus would have been on a defensive embarrassment and the worst tackling efforts in recent memory.

Buer wrote: »

The Seahawks hired a coach to work with their secondary specifically to teach them to rugby tackle and put carriers to ground. It is insane that these guys don't know how to take someone down effectively.

Anyone looking for a perfect example should watch Derrick Henry's 99 yard TD this week against the Jags. In the NFL, it is considered one of the most impressive plays of recent years. In rugby, the focus would have been on a defensive embarrassment and the worst tackling efforts in recent memory.

I agree with you but I don't think he was talking about tackling technique.

• Advertisement

I agree with you but I don't think he was talking about tackling technique.

No, but its two sides of the same coin. There are some serious skill deficits in key areas of the game. I understand there are different aims, and in NFL they are often trying to dislodge the ball with the way they tackle. However some situational awareness wouldn't go amiss - the aim with Henry was just to stop the guy.

The Bears defense made a huge statement last night / this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yea, the Bears are in with a shout. I think they will win the NFC. But the Chiefs and the Chargers are playing lights out and would be very hard to beat.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Yea, the Bears are in with a shout. I think they will win the NFC. But the Chiefs and the Chargers are playing lights out and would be very hard to beat.

Winning the NFC is a big ask. I wouldn't back anyone to win in New Orleans. Trubisky isn't getting it done at QB and was awful last night. He's just back from two games out but he looked poor before that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Was in San Diego last week. Those West Coast IPAs are something else. America is pretty pricey though, $US9 for what I’d say were 500 ml beers. Who do they think they are, Switzerland?

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Was in San Diego last week. Those West Coast IPAs are something else. America is pretty pricey though, $US9 for what I’d say were 500 ml beers. Who do they think they are, Switzerland?

Could have been worse. Could have been bloody Norway.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Could have been worse. Could have been bloody Norway.

Ah yeah Norway is a shocker. You need a mortgage for a night out.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I recall paying €12 for a 330ml Icelandic stout in keflavik.... It was 11% and tasted like burnt tarmacadam....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I recall paying €12 for a 330ml Icelandic stout in keflavik.... It was 11% and tasted like burnt tarmacadam....

For twelve quid though, bet you finished every last drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

swiwi_ wrote: »

San Diego is a great city. Did you go to Gaslamp, or the Ballast Point brewery?

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »

You probably got a bargain, Iceland is absurdly expensive.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    San Diego is a great city. Did you go to Gaslamp, or the Ballast Point brewery?

Was at a conference that ran all day every day so no. But I sampled the Ballast Point beers.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You probably got a bargain, Iceland is absurdly expensive.

yeah it is... ive been twice and i absolutely love the country.

There are ways to do it a bit cheaper, but for a weekend break its incredibly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Jesus Christ did the sun even rise today?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

kuang1 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ did the sun even rise today?

Of course it did, in Japan.

Will Donald Trump end up in prison. Discuss.

Will Donald Trump end up in prison. Discuss.

Probably not. He'll pardon himself before he goes to prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Not if they wait to indict him until the day he leaves office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Not going to happen. Unless he does something after his presidency.

The president can only pardon federal crimes. He can't pardon state crimes and Cohen was convicted at state level.

I reckon he is going to prison. The New York state prosecutor had significant evidence over Cohen, and Cohen entered a guilty plea. His sentence was only mitigated because he will testify against Trump at a later date.

Trump is going to prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The president can only pardon federal crimes. He can't pardon state crimes and Cohen was convicted at state level.

I reckon he is going to prison. The New York state prosecutor had significant evidence over Cohen, and Cohen entered a guilty plea. His sentence was only mitigated because he will testify against Trump at a later date.

Who is more likely to go to prison, Trump, or the unnamed Irish Sportsperson who certainly cannot and should not be named.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Who is more likely to go to prison, Trump, or the unnamed Irish Sportsperson who certainly cannot and should not be named.

Neither.

He's not being investigated for state crimes though. The Mueller investigation is the only live one at the moment that he needs to worry about and he probably can pardon himself.

He pardoned Arpaio in 2017 on charges he hadn't even been convicted for yet which set a dangerous precedent.

I can see the net closing in on him and he just pre-emptively pardons himself for any and all crimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He can try pardon himself, but his decisions can be put to judicial review, and it's most likely that it'll just be overturned in the courts.

If he's convicted, which I'd image Mueller will bring about swiftly when it comes to it and there won't be much of a build up around it, he'll be impeached almost immediately anyways.

He pardoned Arpaio in 2017 on charges he hadn't even been convicted for yet which set a dangerous precedent.

That is far from setting a precendent. Been done plenty times before, most famously for Nixon.

He's not being investigated for state crimes though. The Mueller investigation is the only live one at the moment that he needs to worry about and he probably can pardon himself.

I can see the net closing in on him and he just pre-emptively pardons himself for any and all crimes.

Trump is being investigated by three states and by the FBI. The State and Federal investigations are mostly under seal of confidentiality, but what was released in the last week during Cohen's plea says a lot more than you think.

1. Cohen is guilty of a felony. So he's guilty of a serious crime.
    2. A judge has seen substantial evidence not only of the crime, but also that it was directed by "Individual 1". This is beyond reasonable doubt stuff - it's ironclad.
    3. On the basis of that information, he gave Cohen a reduced sentence for cooperating in the investigation against Individual 1.
    4. Individual 1 is Trump.

Don't take my word on it, even Fox News confirmed the above yesterday:
    Career prosecutors here in New York have evidence that the president of the United States committed a felony by ordering and paying Michael Cohen to break the law,” Napolitano said while speaking on Fox News. “How do we know that? They told that to the federal judge. Under the rules, they can’t tell that to the federal judge unless they actually have that hardcore evidence. Under the rules, they can’t tell that to the federal judge unless they intend to do something with that evidence

It's a serious crime, if cooperating got a reduced sentence of 3 years, then Trump is going to get more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Trump is being investigated by three states and by the FBI. The State and Federal investigations are mostly under seal of confidentiality, but what was released in the last week during Cohen's plea says a lot more than you think.

1. Cohen is guilty of a felony. So he's guilty of a serious crime.
    2. A judge has seen substantial evidence not only of the crime, but also that it was directed by "Individual 1". This is beyond reasonable doubt stuff - it's ironclad.
    3. On the basis of that information, he gave Cohen a reduced sentence for cooperating in the investigation against Individual 1.
    4. Individual 1 is Trump.

Don't take my word on it, even Fox News confirmed the above yesterday:

It's a serious crime, if cooperating got a reduced sentence of 3 years, then Trump is going to get more than that.

He's going to prison.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm not suggesting anything you said is incorrect but I'm just a bit jaded by the Trump thing and even if he was convicted and sentenced to prison tomorrow I still wouldn't believe that he was going to prison until he was actually pictured behind bars

Yeah, not for a moment do I believe he's going to prison until he's wearing stripey pyjamas. We've seen this stuff far too many times with people declaring he'll be impeached, tried, imprisoned etc.

Even with information now on the reocrd, there are many layers to get through before then including a number of pitfalls and people protecting him and frustrating the process. If and when it does happen, he'll already be done with the presidency.

b.gud wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm not suggesting anything you said is incorrect but I'm just a bit jaded by the Trump thing and even if he was convicted and sentenced to prison tomorrow I still wouldn't believe that he was going to prison until he was actually pictured behind bars

It's far from a done thing and any level of silly buggers could happen at any time.

Still though, this is one part of one investigation and it's extremely damning.

Can you imagine how bad the stuff is that is under seal? This is the stuff that related to engaging with a hostile foreign power.

What we know is bad enough, it's overwhelmingly likely that what we don't know yet is orders of magnitude worse.

If Trump doesn't go down, it's proof positive that America already has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It's far from a done thing and any level of silly buggers could happen at any time.

Still though, this is one part of one investigation and it's extremely damning.

Can you imagine how bad the stuff is that is under seal? This is the stuff that related to engaging with a hostile foreign power.

What we know is bad enough, it's overwhelmingly likely that what we don't know yet is orders of magnitude worse.

If Trump doesn't go down, it's proof positive that America already has.

American democracy is already broken and sold to the highest bidder.

Trump won't be successfully impeached - the Republican Senate will see to that. Half of them are compromised too. I don't think Trump will do a second term, but I don't think he'll go to prison either. Whether he does or not, it will be very interesting in the end to see what Mueller has, and what really went down. A lot of lesser people than Trump will probably be in big trouble when it all comes out in the wash, including his family.

Zzippy wrote: »
    American democracy is already broken and sold to the highest bidder.

Trump won't be successfully impeached - the Republican Senate will see to that. Half of them are compromised too. I don't think Trump will do a second term, but I don't think he'll go to prison either. Whether he does or not, it will be very interesting in the end to see what Mueller has, and what really went down. A lot of lesser people than Trump will probably be in big trouble when it all comes out in the wash, including his family.

It is and many established norms and processes have been broken in recent years. Business and politics are joined at the hip in most places but in the US there is virtually nothing to distinguish them.

Still though, a known felon escaping justice due to holding a political office would be a completely new departure. Whilst the law isn't always applied in America and people escape justice by not being caught, Trump has been caught and if he was to evade justice he needed to do it before there was an investigation and certainly before there were convictions.

I think it's more likely that he'll relocate to escape justice at this point than he'll just get away with it.

He's also really pissed off the FBI. If he had less hubris he'd have started running by now. I've no doubt he thinks republicans will protect him but I think they'll bide their time but primary him and then nuke him from orbit once they can take credit for his downfall and distance themselves from him.

He's going to jail.

I don't believe for one second he will go to jail, America just won't allow that to happen. It will be tied up until the next election cycle, he won't run again and some form of deal will be struck in the background to make it all go away.

I'll eat a hat of your choosing and stream it live

I'll eat a hat of your choosing and stream it live

At some point before 2022, Trump will be in handcuffs on TV. Here is the hat:

IT3yYSH.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

At some point before 2022, Trump will be in handcuffs on TV. Here is the hat:

IT3yYSH.jpg

No more selfies please, you massive d*ckhead!

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    No more selfies please, you massive d*ckhead!

They’re not massive ....

Roscommon is revolting, that’s a bit insane really. Will be interesting to see if there are any arrests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

stephen_n wrote: »
    Roscommon is revolting, that’s a bit insane really. Will be interesting to see if there are any arrests.

Eviction with supposed UVF heavies followed by battle with baseball wielding thugs...possible paramilitary involvement at that end too

Nobody comes out of it well. Thugs dealing with thugs.

The poor dog. I hope the effer(s) who did that rot. Sociopathic behaviour.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement