Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

troyzer wrote: »
    Oh, and in said small town I won't be able to get dinner after ten. It'll be about half ten when I get there.

I haven't eaten since 8 this morning. :heart:
    You've been a bit snippy and annoying on this forum from time to time over the last while. You need to sit there and think about what you've done. On an empty stomach apparently.

#TheLongArmOfTheRugbyMods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Oh, and in said small town I won't be able to get dinner after ten. It'll be about half ten when I get there.

You've been a bit snippy and annoying on this forum from time to time over the last while. You need to sit there and think about what you've done. On an empty stomach apparently.

#TheLongArmOfTheRugbyMods

Suppose I should have expected that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Troyzer I got a dose of flu that has kept me bed bound for 3 days, I've had conversations with my GF that I don't remember because of the fever, I haven't eaten more than dry toast since Sunday, incase I puke my guts up(again). And no one can visit me on my birthday (today) in case I pass it on.

Happy New Year indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Buer wrote: »
    Let me ask you this....would you rather your other half took down the lights and stored/boxed them in a manner that would require the Enigma machine to unravel?

I got tired trying to untangle the lights from the tree so I got a pair of pliers and snipped them into manageable sized pieces then fecked them in the bin. As stephen says they are so cheap now I'll just buy another set.

Troyzer I got a dose of flu that has kept me bed bound for 3 days, I've had conversations with my GF that I don't remember because of the fever, I haven't eaten more than dry toast since Sunday, incase I puke my guts up(again). And no one can visit me on my birthday (today) in case I pass it on.

Happy New Year indeed

Pfft.

Story topper.

Seriously though, I've had those semi delirious flus before. They're no joke. Hope it passes soon for you.

And happy birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Unless one of you lot are about to tell me you've had a testicular amputation, I'm convinced I've had the ****test start to the year.

Wait til you have kids with the flu and haven't slept in 3 days. You'll look back wistfully on leisurely days of travel delays.

Happy New Year indeed

Happy birthday mate. Hope you're better by Saturday. I'll be in O'Connell's afterwards, just sayin'... ;) (if the flu has left these shores by then)

Look on the bright side. 2019 appears to have front loaded all the sh1t it has in store for you. It's all good after this. Buy lottery tickets. :)

Happy New Year indeed
    You don't need the flu for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You don't need the flu for that.

I make up random conversations we've never had from time to time, just to **** with the wife. Two people can play at non existent conversations game. It works just as well on them.

If you don't remember it, then it probably didn't happen....or you were very very drunk :)

• Advertisement

I make up random conversations we've never had from time to time, just to **** with the wife. Two people can play at non existent conversations game. It works just as well on them.

If you don't remember it, then it probably didn't happen....or you were very very drunk :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Zzippy wrote: »

So what you are saying is we as men have been systematically gas lighted all our life by the women that we are closest to. Shocking but unfortunately true. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You appear to have had a lot of time to kill in which to go get a sandwich...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Zzippy wrote: »
    Wait til you have kids with the flu and haven't slept in 3 days. You'll look back wistfully on leisurely days of travel delays.

Happy birthday mate. Hope you're better by Saturday. I'll be in O'Connell's afterwards, just sayin'... ;) (if the flu has left these shores by then)

I'm staying home bound on Saturday I'm raging!!

My season ticket is going to a good home so I'm ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

The world's 20 biggest coffee drinkers

Finland - 12kg per capita per year
    Norway - 9.9
    Iceland - 9
    Denmark - 8.7
    Netherlands - 8.4
    Sweden - 8.2
    Switzerland - 7.9
    Belgium - 6.8
    Luxembourg - 6.5
    Canada - 6.2
    Bosnia and Herzegovina - 6.1
    Austria - 5.9
    Italy - 5.8
    Slovenia - 5.8
    Brazil - 5.5
    Germany - 5.5
    Greece - 5.4
    France - 5.1
    Croatia - 4.9
    Cyprus - 4.8

Where the coffee originates

Brazil - 5.7bn pounds
    Vietnam - 3.6bn
    Colombia - 1.8bn
    Indonesia - 1.5bn
    Ethiopia - 847m
    Honduras - 767m
    India - 767m
    Uganda - 635m
    Mexico - 516m
    Guatemala - 450m

And the world's biggest tea drinkers

Turkey - 6.961 lbs per capita per year
    Ireland - 4.831
    United Kingdom - 4.281
    Russia - 3.051
    Morocco - 2.682
    New Zealand - 2.629
    Egypt - 2.231
    Poland - 2.204
    Japan - 2.133
    Saudi Arabia - 1.983
    South Africa - 1.789
    Netherlands - 1.714
    Australia - 1.649
    Chile - 1.613
    United Arab Emirates - 1.589
    Germany - 1.524
    Hong Kong - 1.428
    Ukraine - 1.284
    China - 1.248
    Canada - 1.121

What I've learnt from all this is the Irish are more English than the English :eek: (and that the Scandinavian's take a keg of coffee to work each day).

swiwi_ wrote: »

Finland - 12kg per capita per year
    Norway - 9.9
    Iceland - 9
    Denmark - 8.7
    Netherlands - 8.4
    Sweden - 8.2
    Switzerland - 7.9
    Belgium - 6.8
    Luxembourg - 6.5
    Canada - 6.2
    Bosnia and Herzegovina - 6.1
    Austria - 5.9
    Italy - 5.8
    Slovenia - 5.8
    Brazil - 5.5
    Germany - 5.5
    Greece - 5.4
    France - 5.1
    Croatia - 4.9
    Cyprus - 4.8

Where the coffee originates

Brazil - 5.7bn pounds
    Vietnam - 3.6bn
    Colombia - 1.8bn
    Indonesia - 1.5bn
    Ethiopia - 847m
    Honduras - 767m
    India - 767m
    Uganda - 635m
    Mexico - 516m
    Guatemala - 450m

And the world's biggest tea drinkers

Turkey - 6.961 lbs per capita per year
    Ireland - 4.831
    United Kingdom - 4.281
    Russia - 3.051
    Morocco - 2.682
    New Zealand - 2.629
    Egypt - 2.231
    Poland - 2.204
    Japan - 2.133
    Saudi Arabia - 1.983
    South Africa - 1.789
    Netherlands - 1.714
    Australia - 1.649
    Chile - 1.613
    United Arab Emirates - 1.589
    Germany - 1.524
    Hong Kong - 1.428
    Ukraine - 1.284
    China - 1.248
    Canada - 1.121

What I've learnt from all this is the Irish are more English than the English :eek: (and that the Scandinavian's take a keg of coffee to work each day).

Mixing metric and imperial.

My head hurts. Very English of you.

U a pom m8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Makes sense. I trust countries that spread into the arctic circle spend half the year trying to stay awake in constant darkness, and the other half trying to stay awake having not slept well in constant daylight. Poor feckers!

Finns are mad for their coffee alright. Absolutely impossible to get a good cup of tea.

swiwi_ wrote: »

What the English drink cannot be called tea. Only Yorkshire Tea is in anyway comparable to Irish Tea and even that is a step down.

You'd need 3 teabags of PJ Tips to get the tea the right colour.

Insipid dirt water doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Advertisement

We have PG Tips in work. I've become one of "those people" who carry Barrys Tea 1,000km just so I can have a proper drink.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    We have PG Tips in work. I've become one of "those people" who carry Barrys Tea 1,000km just so I can have a proper drink.

Ah Barrys Gold Blend. Enjoying a cup right now. Yer only man!*

*opens can of worms

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s dried leaves in boiling water ffs

stephen_n wrote: »

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The same way you're just a bag of meat

Synode wrote: »
    The same way you're just a bag of meat

Well actually a bag of mostly water, but to a lion you and I wouldn’t taste differently ;) people are so precious about tea, it’s very amusing.

• Advertisement

Well actually a bag of mostly water, but to a lion you and I wouldn’t taste differently ;) people are so precious about tea, it’s very amusing.

Yeah it's bizarre. I drink probably two cups a day but try all sorts of different types. I dunno how you confine yourself to just Barry's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Lads do none of you drink coffee? A drop tay is alright now and again but it's more a drink for women/oul ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Skinny mocha with turnip shavings on top, ftw goys.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mfceiling wrote: »
    Lads do none of you drink coffee? A drop tay is alright now and again but it's more a drink for women/oul ones.

Latte x 3 in the morning.

Earl grey/herbal tea the rest of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I drink neither with any regularity. Never drink tea, coffee very occasionally if I happen to be in a cafe for some other reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

2 coffees a day, either filter or flat white.

Never been much of a tea drinker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Growing up in Dublin, I drank tea. Tons of tea.
    After leaving to America, I drink coffee. Tons of coffee.
    Tea over here is like farm run off water.
    It's weak and tasteless imo.
    When back home I drink Americanos. Usually at Insomnia or Costa. Delicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Partial to a glass of cold water myself. Don't drink tea or coffee.

The reaction you get when you ask for that when someone offers you tea/coffee is hilarious. Like you've two heads.

Does my girlfriend's mother's head in too. She feels like she has to offer me something but water doesn't quite cut it. Bonus!

Yeah it's bizarre. I drink probably two cups a day but try all sorts of different types. I dunno how you confine yourself to just Barry's.

I drink anywhere up to 5 or 6 a day I'd say (depending). Dunno where you getting that anyone is "confining" themselves but you're going to have a staple drink.

What the English drink cannot be called tea. Only Yorkshire Tea is in anyway comparable to Irish Tea and even that is a step down.

You'd need 3 teabags of PJ Tips to get the tea the right colour.

Insipid dirt water doesn't have the same ring to it.

What Irish teas do you recommend Emmet?

When it comes to tea I often go breakfast blend as I like tea strong as possible.

I’ve found these good

Fortum & Mason breakfast blend
    Clipper Organic everyday tea

Personally I never found Barry’s that good. But I suspect I’m risking a forum backlash. At least from zzippy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Often have a coffee, but drink tea by the pint (I find ceramic beer steins make excellent mugs), I'd have a few pints of tea daily - a Lyon's man myself, strong as possible with a splash of milk

Texans are ****ing dreadful.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Often have a coffee, but drink tea by the pint (I find ceramic beer steins make excellent mugs), I'd have a few pints of tea daily - a Lyon's man myself, strong as possible with a splash of milk

I'd be in this boat. If I'm making tea for more than one, I usually throw everyone else's tea bags into my cup once theirs is made and leave them in there while drinking it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Just realised that i can dole out infractions and warnings to posters on my ignore list when I unhide their posts here as I'm a mod on another forum. Fun time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Partial to a glass of cold water myself. Don't drink tea or coffee.

The reaction you get when you ask for that when someone offers you tea/coffee is hilarious. Like you've two heads.

Does my girlfriend's mother's head in too. She feels like she has to offer me something but water doesn't quite cut it. Bonus!

The wife doesn't drink tea or coffee. People she has known for 20 years still offer her a tea when she is over in their houses. It's bizarre.

I drink two cups of coffee a day. I know people who drink 6-8 cups a day a few of which are take out. The money they spend on coffee is like the repayments on a small loan.

If I drank that much coffee my head would be in bits.

• Advertisement

I will happily have 6-7 cups of tea a day, but I'll also happily have zero. I always find the way people talk about needing their coffee slightly disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I will happily have 6-7 cups of tea a day, but I'll also happily have zero. I always find the way people talk about needing their coffee slightly disturbing.

I’m one of those people who doesn’t drink either and I have to laugh at the way people talk about coffee. There’s one of the coffee ads at the moment that says something like the first coffee of the day is the most important thing on earth. It is an addiction. A lot of coffee drinkers I know aren’t the same until they’ve had their first coffee of the day. Disturbing is the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I personally think its great that coffee drinkers and tea drinkers of all shapes and sizes can live together with such grace and harmony.

If anything I'd say it's the ateaists who are the least open-minded of the lot, ironically enough.

I'd be an agcofftic myself, partial to a bit of the coffee from time to time but I'm really just going through the motions, I haven't really studied the literature on the subject.

It's 2019 now, lets leave people to enjoy their beverages of choice in peace. These are ecumenical times we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Coffee has a similar culture to weed or craft beer or Munster. A lot of people dabble but those who are really into it tend to be insufferable and pretty obnoxious about it.

Buer wrote: »
    Coffee has a similar culture to weed or craft beer or Munster. A lot of people dabble but those who are really into it tend to be insufferable and pretty obnoxious about it.

Thirsty by human nature, drink coffee by the grace of God...?

Car insurance is such a cartel. Banking and Insurance industries need to be regulated into the ground.

Every time renewal comes up I feel like I'm shopping around for who is going to take the least advantage of me as opposed to where I can get a good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Car insurance is such a cartel. Banking and Insurance industries need to be regulated into the ground.

Every time renewal comes up I feel like I'm shopping around for who is going to take the least advantage of me as opposed to where I can get a good deal.

That's pretty much how capitalism works, right? They charge what the market will pay. Not what the product is worth. E.g. avocados are extortionately expensive in California despite being grown down the road.

That’s a bit chicken and egg, it’s regulation that’s driving the price up. Central bank rules on cash reserves are making it very hard for insurance companies to make investments, which is basically how they operate. It’s killing competition as most of the companies can’t underwrite more business because of the increasing reserves.

Then there’s this, which is f’d up on a whole different level :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Motor is actually really **** business for the insurance industry. A lot of companies have loss ratio for Motor in the 95 + percentile, and a combined ratio near enough 100%. The new EU solvency 2 legislation also restricts what sort of investments insurance companies can use to reserve for claims, which means they don't make as much investment income as they used to.

Cars are becoming safer and better, but they're also becoming more expensive to repair and congestion is going up. I reckon car insurance will continue to grow in price until driverless cars make it irrelevant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement