Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

troyzer wrote: »
    "He is Lord. He is Lord.

He is risen from the dead and he is lord.

Every knee shall bow

Every tongue confess

That Tom Brady is Lord."

I hate him so much.

All of this is true. But the Chargers are making it easy for him today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Podge_irl wrote: »
    "He is Lord. He is Lord.

He is risen from the dead and he is lord.

Every knee shall bow

Every tongue confess

That Tom Brady is Lord."

I hate him so much.

All of this is true. But the Chargers are making it easy for him today.

Melvin Ingram looking human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Lol Chargers in full force tonight.

Pats D is having their best game of the season. Rivers is under constant pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ugh.

After all of this, we might still have a Superbowl rematch.

It's destiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

An on topic thread would be nice on the RF

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The what?

Does the soccer forum still have the invite system? I remember it being discussed for here many moons ago. Is it possible to ignore people from the mobile interface?

dregin wrote: »
    The what?

Does the soccer forum still have the invite system? I remember it being discussed for here many moons ago. Is it possible to ignore people from.theobile interface?

You have to go down the bottom and select full site and do it that way.

Have used it plenty of times over the past couple weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

You have to go down the bottom and select full site and do it that way.

Have used it plenty of times over the past couple weeks.

Testing... testing.... testing 1..2...3...!

Chargers are dog ****.

• Advertisement

Chargers are dog ****.

They've been excellent on the road all season but haven't turned up today. Difficult to understand.

I know this is sacrilege, but I'd honestly love to see the chiefs stuff the patriots. As much as I hate the chiefs, fúck Tom Brady.

I know this is sacrilege, but I'd honestly love to see the chiefs stuff the patriots. As much as I hate the chiefs, fúck Tom Brady.

As a Broncos fan, I have to agree.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I would be very fond of seeing this happen. Brady will go bad things to the Chiefs secondary though - Chiefs will need to score on almost every opportunity.

Eagles 2.0 might actually happen. What a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    Any of you construction working types on here know if it's hard to get a garden shed connected up to your electrics so it has power + lights?

Or if I was to ask an electrician to do this during the build phase, is this something they can do without the shed existing yet?

You should get an outside power line as standard. You should be able to ask them to run it down to the back of your garden. Ours came out at the top of the lawn when we bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Good chuckle listening to Newstalk breakfast this morning. A spokeswoman was speaking about the anti-racism demonstration in Roscommon over the weekend in response to the arson attack in Roosky. She was quite articulate and chattering away, ticking all the boxes that you would expect. I was half listening as I drove. Then at the end she said something along the lines of "We need to get away from this sort of racism that is being fuelled by individuals like Gemma O'Doherty and...."

The presenter nearly choked trying to stop her. "You need to retract that! Retract! Uh, we distance ourselves, uh, we'll leave the interview there!" Cut to commericial break.

I imagine Gemma is speaking to her solicitor this morning.

Was she always a bit of a loony-bin?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    Good chuckle listening to Newstalk breakfast this morning. A spokeswoman was speaking about the anti-racism demonstration in Roscommon over the weekend in response to the arson attack in Roosky. She was quite articulate and chattering away, ticking all the boxes that you would expect. I was half listening as I drove. Then at the end she said something along the lines of "We need to get away from this sort of racism that is being fuelled by individuals like Gemma O'Doherty and...."

The presenter nearly choked trying to stop her. "You need to retract that! Retract! Uh, we distance ourselves, uh, we'll leave the interview there!" Cut to commericial break.

I imagine Gemma is speaking to her solicitor this morning.

yeah i heard that... i believe she actually said Gemma O'Doherty and John Waters :D

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    yeah i heard that... i believe she actually said Gemma O'Doherty and John Waters :D

Actually I think she is dead right to say that and with my loose recollection of defamation standards I think she's fine in what she said.

We aren't going to push back against this wave of populism by hiding from difficult words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Actually I think she is dead right to say that and with my loose recollection of defamation standards I think she's fine in what she said.

We aren't going to push back against this wave of populism by hiding from difficult words.

Well, Waters has a history of suing for libel/slander, and the awards in this country can be ridiculous, so media outlets are rightly terrified of any whiff of defamation. I think their bottom line comes ahead of playing their role in fighting populism...

True Detective is back with two episodes. It feels like a remake of the first season which isn't a bad thing.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Well, Waters has a history of suing for libel/slander, and the awards in this country can be ridiculous, so media outlets are rightly terrified of any whiff of defamation. I think their bottom line comes ahead of playing their role in fighting populism...

Again it's a long time since my knowledge of the relevant laws was current but I think Newstalk is fine in the situation as described. Additionally the author of the statement can say that someone is racist in their opinion and similarly that's an adequate defence in many circumstances.

Waters might take a case because he's clearly lost his mind. O'Doherty might initiate an action for a pay off, but if it went to court then all her previous comments get to form the basis of an argument that she is racist. It would be very risky and a potentially streisandesque move on her part.
    True Detective is back with two episodes. It feels like a remake of the first season which isn't a bad thing.

Contrary to general opinion I liked season 2. It wasn't perfect but it was still an enjoyable serial and better than an awful lot else on the TV.

Season 1 was fantastic, one of the most enjoyable and surprising TV events in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Contrary to general opinion I liked season 2. It wasn't perfect but it was still an enjoyable serial and better than an awful lot else on the TV.

Season 1 was fantastic, one of the most enjoyable and surprising TV events in recent years.

I think "season 2 was all right" is a generally accepted statement. Looking forward to sitting down with Season 3 tonight though.

Newstalk are absolutely fine in that regard, they can't be held responsible for an outside source making a statement on a live radio show that isn't pre-screened.

Defamation/libel cases against an individual are a different kettle of fish, and are a complete shot at nothing trying to make them stick. Especially when it's just an off the cuff verbal statement, if they were involved in a campaign to slander the person incl publishing it through multiple outlets it's a different story.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have thought Newstalk would be in any trouble at all. They can't control a one off inverviewee and made immediate attempts to defuse the situation. If anything, I'd have thought that the accused would seek legal input for any potential recourse against the individual.

I don't think anything will come of it, noise at most. It was just humourous to see Newstalk squirm so quickly with the bonus of GOD/Waters getting called out publicly for their actions.

I wouldn't have thought Newstalk would be in any trouble at all. They can't control a one off inverviewee and made immediate attempts to defuse the situation. If anything, I'd have thought that the accused would seek legal input for any potential recourse against the individual.

I don't think anything will come of it, noise at most. It was just humourous to see Newstalk squirm so quickly with the bonus of GOD/Waters getting called out publicly for their actions.

I doubt anything will come of it either. O'Doherty deserves it all and more so a part of me hopes she pipes up and makes things worse for herself.

Watters though whilst detestable is clearly in a diminished mental state and I think a responsible media would deny him any platform for his own sake.

They already have in many ways.

I doubt anything will come of it either. O'Doherty deserves it all and more so a part of me hopes she pipes up and makes things worse for herself.

Watters though whilst detestable is clearly in a diminished mental state and I think a responsible media would deny him any platform for his own sake.

They already have in many ways.

Newstalk just broadcasted a strong apology to waters and o doherty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Snivelling is the word I'd use.

The Luas website is still down and hasn't been fully restored, two weeks after the initial attack.

I feel bad for the poor intern who must be stuck with it.

• Advertisement

I've no doubt there was some form of communication from a legal representative within a few hours yesterday. Newstalk just covering themselves which is fair enough.

Anyone with half a brain can look at Gemma O'Doherty's Twitter feed and make up their own mind, though.

Anyone with half a brain can look at Gemma O'Doherty's Twitter feed and make up their own mind, though.

Was she always like this? I only heard of her in the last year.

Was she always like this? I only heard of her in the last year.

She was strongly opinionated and forthright in her journalism but she didn't come up with the madness that she has spouted over the past 1-2 years. That could be down to the fact that she was operating within a national publication who would have kept her on a leash and steered her towards the more palatable and reasonable stories/approaches. She did have the opinion that fluoride in the water was causing cancer whilst she was still with INM but that pales in comparison to what she has come out with since.

She has completely gone off script in the past few years. Aside from the nationalistic, right wing rhetoric that she has come up with of late, she has questioned vaccines and made some very serious claims about multiple murder cases involving the state and cover ups. I'm sure there are a number of of other claims that aren't as fresh in my mind.

How did you all go about picking a name for your kids? My wife and I are having a really hard time of it and we only have a week to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

How did you all go about picking a name for your kids? My wife and I are having a really hard time of it and we only have a week to go.

We a picked a name after she was born and then changed it the next morning to one we felt worked better

An angel appeared and spoke "Hark, you shall sire a son. He shall be loud and defiant. He shall refute all logic. You shall name him after the mod....the one you call awec".

True story.

We had two names for our daughter...when she arrived we felt one was more suitable than the other.

I think we made a shortlist of our preferred names, compared them, revised our lists and then saw which ones were common to the two lists. Things got narrowed down pretty rapidly. You will love a name which your other half will think is f*cking ridicuolous.

You won't be sure about the names either when you give them but a month later, you won't be able to imagine them being called anything else.

We have an added complication of wanting a name that sound mostly the same in her native language as it does in English. There are a good few to pick from but nothing that we really want.

We have a short list from that. But nothing is really a firm yes yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Your username doesn’t really inspire confidence when it comes to making a decision...

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We bought a baby name book and narrowed it down to 2 or 3 names for each gender.

Then when our daughter was born we felt one was just right.

We thought it was relatively unique, but it seems it was one of the most popular names last year.

We bought a baby name book and narrowed it down to 2 or 3 names for each gender.

Then when our daughter was born we felt one was just right.

We thought it was relatively unique, but it seems it was one of the most popular names last year.

Isn't a baby name book just a name book?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Isn't a baby name book just a name book?

I am not an expert in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

We came up with the name for the first one, changed it the day after they were born. By the time we'd a third, we just let the eldest one pick a name.

I've always wondered this.

Nothing is your area, awec. You do not have an area. Unless it is some sort of play area, with sandcastles, and buckets, and spades! Now do what you're told, right?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

First one I liked a girl's name from a Beatles song so that was easy.
    Second was a name I liked after a very elderly neighbour lady who lived beside us years ago and also a very famous Tom Waits song. People always comment on it being a lovely name (very old fashioned but I liked it).
    Third....I'm not pushed as I got my choices for the 1st two.

As the lads have said you will pick the name and it will be the right one.

If you are a teacher you must name your child a ridiculous irish name meaning "valley of the beautiful angels"....with extra fadas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

mfceiling wrote: »
    First one I liked a girl's name from a Beatles song so that was easy.
    Second was a name I liked after a very elderly neighbour lady who lived beside us years ago and also a very famous Tom Waits song. People always comment on it being a lovely name (very old fashioned but I liked it).
    Third....I'm not pushed as I got my choices for the 1st two.

As the lads have said you will pick the name and it will be the right one.

If you are a teacher you must name your child a ridiculous irish name meaning "valley of the beautiful angels"....with extra fadas.

Martha? Great tune...

We narrowed it down to 4/5 boys names and the same for girls, while in the labour room we narrowed it down again, and when baby was born (a boy) one just seemed right. Second baby we did the same but couldn't agree until the following day on one.

no 3 was named after a grandparent
    no 4 was named after a drive in rural parts of galway and we came across the the name in a few different areas and liked it
    no 5 was discovered reading old irish mytholoy stories

all three names are simple 4 lettered names

We spent very little time picking names we both liked that were relatively straight forward.

If our children want to be exceptional or unique they can decide that for themselves, we gave them both Irish names that will allow them to blend in. I generally feel sorry for kids whose parents went out of their way to be different.

Am I reading things right?

Syd, do you have 5 kids? Fix the TV for f*ck sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

On child one, we decided wife picks girls name and husband picks boys.

One child two, We each made a list of names. Went for dinner the night before the due date and swapped lists. We had two names in common on the lists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement