Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    Am I reading things right?

Syd, do you have 5 kids? Fix the TV for f*ck sake!

yep :) from 24 to 9 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    yep :) from 24 to 9 :D

Jesus.

Congratulations on all the riding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Jesus.

Congratulations on all the riding!

Could just be really unlucky and be 5 for 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ah them yankee football lads are all on the testosterone shtuff... no wonder they're mad for the ridin'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Am I reading things right?

Syd, do you have 5 kids? Fix the TV for f*ck sake!

Not his fault he ended up with quintuplets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I generally feel sorry for kids whose parents went out of their way to be different.

This times a million.

There are a couple of little African girls in my daughters class brilliantly named Twinkle and Cinderella!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Zzippy wrote: »
    Ah them yankee football lads are all on the testosterone shtuff... no wonder they're mad for the ridin'!

He's one of those ultra Catholics, he got married straight after high school, and doesn't believe in contraception.

Would've thought 8 kids would be considered contraception, but apparently not cause they've a ninth on the way.

Once looked after a lady who’d had 16 kids. That’s 12 years pregnant...

May suffers largest commons defeat since 1920.

Corbyn calls vote of no confidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Nt-ByDGEM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This genuinely comes across as pantomime.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    This genuinely comes across as pantomime.

It's grotesque. People are losing their jobs daily over Brexit.

Yeah at the start I found it amusing, now it's just sort of sad to see how wrong things have turned.

I honestly have no idea what the whole outcome of this is, but it doesn't look good, because they won't back down and call it quits.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

How did you all go about picking a name for your kids? My wife and I are having a really hard time of it and we only have a week to go.

My wife bought a few books of Irish names and came up with a shortlist, if it we had a girl. We ended up picking one from Irish mythology. A goddess of war, which suited as she had a serious battle during the labour.

I'm the 5th in a row of my name, so our first boy would just take that.

Our first is now three weeks old and if I had any advice it's to pack sandwiches for the labour. Loads of them. Mother gets fed in the hospital - fathers are second class citizens and no time to be running out for food :D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If our children want to be exceptional or unique they can decide that for themselves, we gave them both Irish names that will allow them to blend in. I generally feel sorry for kids whose parents went out of their way to be different.

I once stopped a toddler from walking out on the main road outside our estate..... Walked her back to her house and her mother exclaimed "thumbelina, where did you get to?".

I couldn't actually believe they named their child that..... Till my wife confirmed it... But, sure, tis their culture.

dregin wrote: »
    My wife bought a few books of Irish names and came up with a shortlist, if it we had a girl. We ended up picking one from Irish mythology. A goddess of war, which suited as she had a serious battle during the labour.

I'm the 5th in a row of my name, so our first boy would just take that.

Our first is now three weeks old and if I had any advice it's to pack sandwiches for the labour. Loads of them. Mother gets fed in the hospital - fathers are second class citizens and no time to be running out for food :D

Congrats!

Re food - I was sent out to get myself some lunch. Pub across the road does decent grub and a nice pint. Even had dessert. I was not popular when I wandered back in... "Anything moving, hun?" :D

dregin wrote: »

Congrats!

Re food - I was sent out to get myself some lunch. Pub across the road does decent grub and a nice pint. Even had dessert. I was not popular when I wandered back in... "Anything moving, hun?" :D

Ah lads - ye really missed out. Bit of hot sauce on the placenta, full of iron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Can’t wait to wake up tomorrow morning and read how radically things have not changed

I'm bringing a hot plate with me and a bottle of tabasco chipotle sauce!

on the name, we have a short list at the ready and will see how it goes when he arrives :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Can’t wait to wake up tomorrow morning and read how radically things have not changed

It's a bit anticlimactic because this confidence vote is obviously going to fail tomorrow night and then she'll probably jet off to Brussels, have the same old ****, be told no and come back again to lose the revote on Monday.

Can we get to the part where something actually happens?

It's like watching the Two Towers and skipping all of the Frodo and Sam scenes so you can just watch the Battle of Helm's Deep.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »

It's like watching the Two Towers and skipping all of the Frodo and Sam scenes so you can just watch the Battle of Helm's Deep.

:D

:D

Was I the only one who did this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Does anyone not do that!?

Podge_irl wrote: »

Does anyone not do that!?

Cheers, thought I was going mad for a second.

Who the **** cares about Frodo?

i WaNt 2 c De BaTlE

The midwife was asking us, all polite, if we wanted the placenta. When we looked at her like she had two heads, she laughed - clearly relieved we weren't one of those nutjob couples. She'd had one woman in previously who brought a blender and made a smoothie from it... I nearly hurled.

The midwife was asking us, all polite, if we wanted the placenta. When we looked at her like she had two heads, she laughed - clearly relieved we weren't one of those nutjob couples. She'd had one woman in previously who brought a blender and made a smoothie from it... I nearly hurled.

Well that's enough internet for the day!

And there was me heading for a lovely nights sleep....cheers Zzippy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Talking about kids names, we were in the States a few years back. Herself went into a shoe shop so I was sitting outside waiting for her. These two kids came running out with their mother behind chasing after them.

“Dale, Chip, get back here!”

No word of a lie. You know that moment when you’re looking around for someone else who heard it too. Nobody did sadly.

As for our little one, we had a few names in mind but weren’t able to settle on anything until after she was born. It was tough. But as others have said, their name becomes their name. It’ll be grand.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Talking about kids names, we were in the States a few years back. Herself went into a shoe shop so I was sitting outside waiting for her. These two kids came running out with their mother behind chasing after them.

“Dale, Chip, get back here!”

No word of a lie. You know that moment when you’re looking around for someone else who heard it too. Nobody did sadly.

As for our little one, we had a few names in mind but weren’t able to settle on anything until after she was born. It was tough. But as others have said, their name becomes their name. It’ll be grand.

So....chip 'an dale.

Anyone?

• Advertisement

There is a serious appetite (for want of a better phrase) for freeze drying and keeping the placenta in other countries; it's only a matter of time before it becomes something here. They're now being made into face creams, health pills and artwork.

An extended family member is a midwife and does it in Australia. Makes about $10k on the side from it. Didn't believe it for a second when she told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

mfceiling wrote: »
    So....chip 'an dale.

Anyone?

♪ ch-ch-chip an dale rescue rangers ♪

This was my first thought. But I'm guessing you have other things on your mind :D

There is a serious appetite (for want of a better phrase) for freeze drying and keeping the placenta in other countries; it's only a matter of time before it becomes something here. They're now being made into face creams, health pills and artwork.

An extended family member is a midwife and does it in Australia. Makes about $10k on the side from it. Didn't believe it for a second when she told me.

Isn't that primarily in case the child requires stem cell treatment in the future?

Isn't that primarily in case the child requires stem cell treatment in the future?

I'm sure that's a potential option available for placenta retention.

This scenario is purely about new age health madness and artwork though. :o The placenta itself is not kept in its frozen state but turned into smoothies, face creams, keyrings, artwork etc.

I'm sure that's a potential option available for placenta retention.

This scenario is purely about new age health madness and artwork though. :o The placenta itself is not kept in its frozen state but turned into smoothies, face creams, keyrings, artwork etc.

That is quite royally ****ed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Has to be fake news

• Advertisement

Nope. Nope. Nope.

It must be a relatively new thing? My last was born 9 years ago and there wasn't a word about it at the time.

It must be a relatively new thing? My last was born 9 years ago and there wasn't a word about it at the time.

You were probably in the pub wetting the babies head at the time of the conversation.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Does anyone else’s kids watch that Little Baby Bum show on YouTube/Netflix?

I’ve been sitting in work all day singing those fecking songs, I can’t get them out of my head!

We've been asked several times about taking and freezing stem cells

• Advertisement

We've been asked several times about taking and freezing stem cells

Don’t. The chance of ever using them is minuscule and the cost is high.

awec wrote: »
    Does anyone else’s kids watch that Little Baby Bum show on YouTube/Netflix?

I’ve been sitting in work all day singing those fecking songs, I can’t get them out of my head!

Just for you

https://youtu.be/XqZsoesa55w

My god.

My god.

Not a fan of family guy, but it’s a bit mad they could go that far with a sitting president.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Not a fan of family guy, but it’s a bit mad they could go that far with a sitting president.

And not have to stray all that far from the truth. Sad state of affairs.

And not have to stray all that far from the truth. Sad state of affairs.

Trudeau at the end. Priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

I've just retired my Samsung galaxy S5 and have splurged on the Note 9.

Holy.
    Sweet.
    Mother.

What a device.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So....chip 'an dale.

Anyone?

Those are the twins' names in FX comedy Baskets which I assume everyone watches.

So May survives the vote and after all of the bull****, only now is she trying get some consensus on a deal by crossing the aisle.

Looks like all of the opposition parties are telling her that a condition for negotiating is taking a hard Brexit off the table.

kuang1 wrote: »
    I've just retired my Samsung galaxy S5 and have splurged on the Note 9.

Holy.
    Sweet.
    Mother.

What a device.

I also retired my S5 and went with a moto g5s plus. Not the greatest phone in the world but it's amazing how they've moved on in 3 years. I basically use mine to take pics, send invoices, browse the net and listen to music. We've come a long way from the Nokia 3310!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement