Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I have never, not even during the Celtic tiger, experienced a January this busy.

can we assume you working in a business of something like company registration?

Penis enlargement.

can we assume you working in a business of something like company registration?

Penis enlargement actually.

Brings a whole different meaning to the phrase "New year, new me".

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

boards.ie discounts yeah??? ;)

I'll give you the same two for one offer I gave Troyzer. He seems delighted with his two inches!

I'll give you the same two for one offer I gave Troyzer. He seems delighted with his two inches!

giphy.gif

troyzer wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Having no comeback is the least of your worries babydick!

:D

Reminds me of this scene from Parks and Rec. I never watched the show but to be fair Chris Pratt is a very witty individual as evident from this improved line:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Only for Leinster fans. No market for it anywhere else...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Zzippy wrote: »
    Only for Leinster fans. No market for it anywhere else...
    Are the whesties waiting for it to come on the medical card?

Enough big dicks down south as it is.

Is Brexit going to be the next Y2K? As the hysteria builds about all the doomsday scenarios, I keep getting the feeling that it’s a big game of brinksmanship and in the end nothing will happen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

something will happen it's just it might be a slow burner over a period of years as opposed to months

but it's still hard to say exactly as we don't know what Brexit actually means yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Brexit means Brexit of course :pac:

Absolute mess over there at the minute. May is going from one bad decision to the next. Don't know how they're going to get themselves out of the mess they're in as the EU don't look like budging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

stephen_n wrote: »
    Is Brexit going to be the next Y2K? As the hysteria builds about all the doomsday scenarios, I keep getting the feeling that it’s a big game of brinksmanship and in the end nothing will happen.

Yes. Well at least on deadline day. There's a good chance of knock-on effects further down the line but nothing will change in the space of a day.

Reminds me of this scene from Parks and Rec. I never watched the show but to be fair Chris Pratt is a very witty individual as evident from this improved line:

All the outtakes with him are amazing

• Advertisement

Also Rebecca & Kevin posted a new vlog

Yes. Well at least on deadline day. There's a good chance of knock-on effects further down the line but nothing will change in the space of a day.

I have a feeling that the deadline is going to get pushed back.

Trump's media cheerleaders are turning on him after this capitulation.

He must hate being president right now. Epic failure. Biggly.

Trump's media cheerleaders are turning on him after this capitulation.

He must hate being president right now. Epic failure. Biggly.

I think they're starting to realise how terrible a negotiator he really is. Initially he said the Mexicans would pay for the wall, which was laughed at. He was then offered $25b by the democrats in return for allowing a path for DACA protections, and refused it. He then tried to hold a stalemate while trying to get the democrats to give him $5b and ended up in the longest government shutdown leaving federal employees without pay, and in the end had to concede and temporarily end his shutdown because he couldn't get his way and the heat was really starting to crank up.

It's the first real indication that he just tries to power his way into getting exactly what he wants and has absolutely no idea what to do when someone says no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tell that to the older generations who like to **** on us saying we don't work hard, are too distracted by social media and are snowflakes.

Yeah. I do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Mom is renting her 3 bedroom in D13 for $1100.
    Everytime I go back, I'm amazed at all the developments in D13. Clare Hall, Clongriffin etc.
    I think Dublin is screwed by the refusal to build up. There's lots of vacant sites in the city center where high density housing can be built.
    I hate seeing sprawl. It detracts from the county imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Dubinusa wrote: »

Her tenants are exceptionally lucky. I lived in D13 for a few years during the crash and was paying €950 for a 2 bedroom apartment which was great value.

€1100 for a 3 bed now is a steal.

I'm in the process of attempting to buy a house and we've moved in with family in the meantime (which yes is equal parts lucky and desperate, I know). I'm so glad I'm not in the rental market at the moment. Even 4 years ago or so I was in a nice spot in Ballsbridge for 1500pm. It could be nearly double that now.

Everytime I go back, I'm amazed at all the developments in D13. Clare Hall, Clongriffin etc.
    I think Dublin is screwed by the refusal to build up. There's lots of vacant sites in the city center where high density housing can be built.

Her tenants are beyond lucky. I went out to view a one bed in clongriffin that was 1100 only a few weeks ago, and two of my mates are splitting a 2 bed apartment for 1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

You've been over there way too long.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm in the process of attempting to buy a house and we've moved in with family in the meantime (which yes is equal parts lucky and desperate, I know). I'm so glad I'm not in the rental market at the moment. Even 4 years ago or so I was in a nice spot in Ballsbridge for 1500pm. It could be nearly double that now.

More than double I've a colleague paying 3.3k for a two bed in Ballsbridge

Stheno wrote: »
    More than double I've a colleague paying 3.3k for a two bed in Ballsbridge

What.

Are they pissing 50 quid notes or something? That's insane

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What.

Are they pissing 50 quid notes or something? That's insane

Ex pats here for the short term, it's a couple

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

A significant number of apartments in those areas are let to either successful young professionals who have no financial commitments or they're being let as corporate accommodation. There are a lot of companies around D2 and D4 with international workforces who need to find accommodation for staff who are relocating or over on secondment etc.

I worked in one large company which held a few dozen apartments in the docklands area and would have first refusal on a lot of the new properties coming onto the market. Owners (who would just go through an agency) would be thrilled to lease to them.

Buer wrote: »
    A significant number of apartments in those areas are let to either successful young professionals who have no financial commitments or they're being let as corporate accommodation. There are a lot of companies around D2 and D4 with international workforces who need to find accommodation for staff who are relocating or over on secondment etc.

I worked in one large company which held a few dozen apartments in the docklands area and would have first refusal on a lot of the new properties coming onto the market. Owners (who would just go through an agency) would be thrilled to lease to them.

Those companies are all expanding in Dublin as well, Salesforce are moving into the city centre and doubling in size, LinkedIn taking another huge new office, Facebook moving into bank centre and expanding, etc. It's going to get worse before it gets better in D2/D4/D6.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There are a lot of vacant sites in the city where housing can be built full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Y2K was a completely known thing. Lots of people (myself included) spent a lot of time and effort preparing for it, knowing what needed to be done to avert the issues that were 100% guaranteed to happen if we did nothing. We got on with the work and ensured everything went smoothly on the night. Which it did, and everyone else got to look around and think “what was all the fuss about”.

I can’t think of anything as far removed from the Brexit shambles as that tbh.

In Y2K we were worried about planes falling from the sky, in Brexit we're worried about planes not taking off :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Buer wrote: »
    Her tenants are exceptionally lucky. I lived in D13 for a few years during the crash and was paying €950 for a 2 bedroom apartment which was great value.

€1100 for a 3 bed now is a steal.

Yea, she doesn't want to raise the rent! She's 84, so I don't really bother her with it.
    Anyway, the urban sprawl in Dublin is similar to other cities over here.
    I do really like the luas, that's class. I wish they could expand it.
    With so many multinational corporations in Dublin and so many foreign workers, it's no surprise that rents are so high. The housing is not keeping up. Also, the infrastructure needs to be upgraded.

kuang1 wrote: »
    You've been over there way too long.

Depends where you’re from I guess.

Depends where you’re from I guess.

I've heard many a D3/D4 person say 'Mom'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I do really like the luas, that's class. I wish they could expand it.

I genuinely think it should just be in a permanent state of expansion at this stage. Whatever lads did the last expansion finished slightly early right? And I don't think the disruption was that bad. So the experience they have should just be kept rolling.

Integrating light rail creates a multiple effect of efficiency. I often transfer between the luas lines now, and I'm one of thirty of forty in the evenings moving from red westbound to green southbound. I imagine more move from red eastbound.

I don't know anyone who has seen Aquaman so I could only go on reviews which were reasonably positive.

It is the biggest pile of ****e I've ever seen.

I can't believe someone signed off on that.

I don't know anyone who has seen Aquaman so I could only go on reviews which were reasonably positive.

It is the biggest pile of ****e I've ever seen.

I can't believe someone signed off on that.

It's already made over $1bn.

• Advertisement

Still waiting on this comic book film fad to die off..... Maybe people will get bored when spider man is rebooted for the 4th time.

Black Panther got 7 Oscar nominations. Not that Oscars mean all that much but wtf.

Black Panther got 7 Oscar nominations. Not that Oscars mean all that much but wtf.

Black Panther was EXTREMELY popular in the states. The whole premise of an African tribe fighting to protect their land, which was posed as a third world country under disguise but actually a rich and powerful nation, hit home with multiple demographics. Also the first black superhero film from Marvel.

It was always bound to get critically acclaimed, especially given the current political environment and the American movement of "staying woke".

You have to give Marvel credit, they launched it in the perfect political climate with the Black Lives Matter movement etc ongoing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I hate comic films so much. People are like "if you don't like comic book films, don't watch them". So I don't, but that means I end up not going to the cinema with my mates very often because they're all into them. Just thank **** it's a golden age of television.

Black Panther was EXTREMELY popular in the states. The whole premise of an African tribe fighting to protect their land, which was posed as a third world country under disguise but actually a rich and powerful nation, hit home with multiple demographics. Also the first black superhero film from Marvel.

It was always bound to get critically acclaimed, especially given the current political environment and the American movement of "staying woke".

You have to give Marvel credit, they launched it in the perfect political climate with the Black Lives Matter movement etc ongoing.

A few years ago one, of the LA based journalists on the Academy Panel admitted he had never seen 12 years a slave but voted for it as best picture because that was the kind of movie which should win best picture.

I switched off from the Oscars after that and I consider myself a movie snob. Blade Runner 2049 only won two Oscars despite being one of the greatest movies of the 21st century so far.

Still doesn't change the fact that's its a ****e film though. I actually did go see it in the cinema because of all the attention it was getting. Same old. Did not warrant the critical acclaim at all. I feel like people have a blind spot for these films where its 5/10 but it has iron man so it triggers some latent nostalgia so it's somehow 9/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Still waiting on this comic book film fad to die off.....
    Don't see how it's a "fad"?
    Dark Knight
    Birdman
    Spiderman- into the Spider-Verse

They're all "comic book films" but are all totally distinct that it'd be hard to group them in together

It is like saying "when will this films based on a book fad die off"

• Advertisement

I've heard many a D3/D4 person say 'Mom'.

I’m from Bray and I’d always have said it. If I said Mam or Mammy I’d have got a clip on the ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I’m from Bray and I’d always have said it. If I said Mam or Mammy I’d have got a clip on the ear.

At home in rural Tyrone she is referred to as "the oul doll" or simply by her 1st name.

mfceiling wrote: »
    At home in rural Tyrone she is referred to as "the oul doll" or simply by her 1st name.

I think even to this day I’d get an earful if I referred to her as oul, auld, old... anything :pac:

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Don't see how it's a "fad"?
    Dark Knight
    Birdman
    Spiderman- into the Spider-Verse

They're all "comic book films" but are all totally distinct that it'd be hard to group them in together

It is like saying "when will this films based on a book fad die off"

Strongly disagree. Most comic book films follow a very similar narrative structure which is why people are so fatigued with them.

Birdman wasn't a comic and the Dark Knight is an outlier. Neither are good examples of that typical comic book movie defined by a three act narrative, everyone is witty and at the end either one over powered bad guy or an army of bad guys shoot a laser into the sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

My brother and sister call her by her first name, but I call her Mam. I think they're weird...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement