Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Still waiting on this comic book film fad to die off.....
    Don't see how it's a "fad"?
    Dark Knight
    Birdman
    Spiderman- into the Spider-Verse

They're all "comic book films" but are all totally distinct that it'd be hard to group them in together

It is like saying "when will this films based on a book fad die off"

To be fair. I also like Watchmen. I am mostly against the Universe style interpretations.

Don't see how it's a "fad"?
    Dark Knight
    Birdman
    Spiderman- into the Spider-Verse

They're all "comic book films" but are all totally distinct that it'd be hard to group them in together

It is like saying "when will this films based on a book fad die off"

Maybe calling them a fad is wishful thinking. Although I haven't seen a western in the cinema in a long time.

I had to google Spider-Verse... they rebooted it again!! Had no idea birdman is based off a comic book.

Outside of the films you mention, there is a swath of them that seem to paint by numbers. Zero tension; bad guys lose, good guys win; jarring humour throughout. Black Panther is a perfect example.

I'm being a bit contrarian. They're continued popularity has pushed me further away from them. They aren't completely awful, but they aren't oscar worthy by any stretch of the imagination. Funnily enough Black Panther didn't get nominated for special effects, which is usually the strong point of these films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's ma or first name here, I'd be looked at as if I'd two heads if I said anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Maybe calling them a fad is wishful thinking. Although I haven't seen a western in the cinema in a long time.

I had to google Spider-Verse... they rebooted it again!! Had no idea birdman is based off a comic book.

Outside of the films you mention, there is a swath of them that seem to paint by numbers. Zero tension; bad guys lose, good guys win; jarring humour throughout. Black Panther is a perfect example.

I'm being a bit contrarian. They're continued popularity has pushed me further away from them. They aren't completely awful, but they aren't oscar worthy by any stretch of the imagination. Funnily enough Black Panther didn't get nominated for special effects, which is usually the strong point of these films.

It's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Aren’t most modern movies structured the same way, particularly action oriented ones? It’s not just comic book movies. I saw The Predator, being a big fan of the first one obviously, last week and that was an awful movie. Pure tripe from start to finish. So by comparison Marvel are doing well to turn out so many films that are way above that level. I’m seriously bored of them, but I’d take them over some of the other pure garbage out there these days.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Aren’t most modern movies structured the same way, particularly action oriented ones? It’s not just comic book movies. I saw The Predator, being a big fan of the first one obviously, last week and that was an awful movie. Pure tripe from start to finish. So by comparison Marvel are doing well to turn out so many films that are way above that level. I’m seriously bored of them, but I’d take them over some of the other pure garbage out there these days.

High brow Sci-fi is making a huge comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Some comic book movies are very very bad. Some are very very good.

I'm really confused by this Malthouse compromise ****e.

From what I've read it's basically this:

MPs want May to ask the EU to replace the backstop with a solution which combines technology, trusted trader schemes and number plate recognition etc.

If the EU says no, the UK should ask them for an extended transition agreement without the backstop in exchange for guaranteed citizens rights and financial contributions.

So basically, option 1 is where the hard Brexiteers were a year ago with max-fac and option 2 is basically what the current deal is except an extra year and without the backstop. I.E. exactly what May has been asking for this whole time.

I have no idea why some MPs and even the media are hailing this as a potential breakthroigh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

troyzer wrote: »
    I'm really confused by this Malthouse compromise ****e.

From what I've read it's basically this:

MPs want May to ask the EU to replace the backstop with a solution which combines technology, trusted trader schemes and number plate recognition etc.

If the EU says no, the UK should ask them for an extended transition agreement without the backstop in exchange for guaranteed citizens rights and financial contributions.

So basically, option 1 is where the hard Brexiteers were a year ago with max-fac and option 2 is basically what the current deal is except an extra year and without the backstop. I.E. exactly what May has been asking for this whole time.

I have no idea why some MPs and even the media are hailing this as a potential breakthroigh.

If they just did Option 1 anyway and were convinced it would work it would make the backstop redundant. They haven't a bloody rashers what they are on about at this stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's like when you have a project in for college in a subject you didn't pay attention to so you just write down anything that sounds like it would have been covered in that class.

Have they started using double spacing in their reports yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

How do I convince my cousin to call his newborn son Tadhg?

I already convinced him to name his first son Tadhg, so I feel it will be a bit tricky....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Neil3030 wrote: »

I already convinced him to name his first son Tadhg, so I feel it will be a bit tricky....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Foreman#Personal_life
    Foreman has 12 children, five sons and seven daughters. His five sons are George Jr., George III ("Monk"), George IV ("Big Wheel"), George V ("Red"), and George VI ("Little Joey")

Edit: Tadhg Two has a nice ring to it

I'd go with Tadhger

b.gud wrote: »

If the brothers ever got into a fight it would also allow me reuse my "When two tadhgs go to war.." joke

The thought just struck me - any Leinster player coming into the academy from now on, with the name Ross, has the biggest bell-end parents on the surface of the Earth.

If the brothers ever got into a fight it would also allow me reuse my "When two tadhgs go to war.." joke

Ah here

Anyone here sat either of the TOGAF exams by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Jaysus "A Star Is Born" was sh!te
    Good soundtrack but the film was just trope after trope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKiUqyvm7Zk

The comments under this are bizarre. It's obviously bots or whatever, just find it astonishing how common place this is now.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »

The comments under this are bizarre. It's obviously bots or whatever, just find it astonishing how common place this is now.

You're just an EU Zionist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Is that the lady gaga film? Wife asked if I wanted to go and see it....My 23 second stare in silence at her told her to invite her sister instead. No man should be watching any sh*te like that or any musical at all in fact.

*Apologies if you are female*

It takes a special breed to like musicals. I'd rather have my ears chopped off.

There's no valid excuse for replacing a dialogue scene with a song.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Are English mps really living in the same planet?

Do they not realise the withal agreement was 2 years in the making and the back stop is a vital element of it?

Now they are going to have some fantastical "alternative arrangement" that doesn't exist, and requires EU negotiation in order set in place..

La la la unicorns and rainbows

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Are English mps really living in the same planet?

Do they not realise the withal agreement was 2 years in the making and the back stop is a vital element of it?

Now they are going to have some fantastical "alternative arrangement" that doesn't exist, and requires EU negotiation in order set in place..

La la la unicorns and rainbows

I might be opening a big bag of worms with this, but there's slight similarities to the Anglo-Irish treaty signing with the backstop.

May went over to Brussels, and negotiated the backstop under pressure of deadlines etc and conceded. When she got back, the rest of the MPs were furious and calling it a farce that she went and agreed such concessions.

I might be opening a big bag of worms with this, but there's slight similarities to the Anglo-Irish treaty signing with the backstop.

May went over to Brussels, and negotiated the backstop under pressure of deadlines etc and conceded. When she got back, the rest of the MPs were furious and calling it a farce that she went and agreed such concessions.

Apart from absolutely everything that happened during those negotiations, it was the EXACT same!

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Is that the lady gaga film? Wife asked if I wanted to go and see it....My 23 second stare in silence at her told her to invite her sister instead. No man should be watching any sh*te like that or any musical at all in fact.

After giving out so much about comic book films I'm almost afraid to say........

A Star Is Born is the best films I've seen in the cinema since Blade Runner 2049. I was afraid it was gonna be a chick-flick-musical but the songs are organically placed throughout the film (bar maybe one or two) and they feed into the plot. It's about a functional alcoholic rock star, not quite chick flick material. I was skeptical for the first 20 minutes then it gripped me. Highly recommend it.

That's actually an alarmingly concentrated amount of propaganda. I can't believe it's that overt.

Apart from absolutely everything that happened during those negotiations, it was the EXACT same!

Ah cmon now. I said slight.

My favourite comment from a mate today:

The EU are sticking to their guns and the UK negotiating position is basically "well if we commit suicide it'll totally ruin your carpet"

That's actually an alarmingly concentrated amount of propaganda. I can't believe it's that overt.

It's incredible. The video only has just over 2k views yet hundreds of comments from purported Irish posters anti EU, a country that has circa 90% of people pro EU. It just shows if a clip that is relatively small fry is that infested how bad everything else must be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If you look at that channel all the videos have a lot of comments under them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Who is paying for these comments?

I'm dying laughing at the suggestion that Ireland leaving the EU is the will of the people. :pac:

I notice this youtube account is posting clips from the Irexit conference....yeah g'luck.

When the UK eventually cave and remain in a borderless customs union style arrangement, Ireland should immediately troll them to death by entering into the Schengen agreement.

Who is paying for these comments?

I'm dying laughing at the suggestion that Ireland leaving the EU is the will of the people. :pac:

I notice this youtube account is posting clips from the Irexit conference....yeah g'luck.

It's the Irish yellow vests.

All 5 of them making multiple accounts

It's the Irish yellow vests.

All 5 of them making multiple accounts

Na Léiní Buí!

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

no politics. There’s a politics forum if you want to discuss this stuff but not here.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »
    no politics. There’s a politics forum if you want to discuss this stuff but not here.

Can I clarify that brexit is OK as, in my view anyway, it's beyond politics?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Can I clarify that brexit is OK as, in my view anyway, it's beyond politics?
    Not the political stuff, but the practicalities of it are ok, specifically in Ireland.

awec wrote: »
    Not the political stuff, but the practicalities of it are ok, specifically in Ireland.

Can we have a politics thread in the rugby forum? The politics Forum is full of very silly people...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Why do you think they are bots? There are plenty of people out there with those views. They would generally subscribe to people like that poster too. Birds of a feather and all that.

Farage is definitely reincarnated from an Ostrich though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

stephen_n wrote: »
    Why do you think they are bots? There are plenty of people out there with those views. They would generally subscribe to people like that poster too. Birds of a feather and all that.

I don't know about plenty but there is certainly an element and some of them are extremely vocal. The extremes of either side of the political spectrum are very active in the online community. It gives them a very easy medium to be anonymous and state their more extreme views without any comeback whilst reaching a wide audience.

The people out there with those views are being wound up by bots. Every country around the world is subject to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

mfceiling wrote: »

Ya see I actually like musicals
    More so stage musicals like Hamilton, Matilda and Book of Mormon - all brilliant

The music was the only saving grace of the film
    After giving out so much about comic book films I'm almost afraid to say........

A Star Is Born is the best films I've seen in the cinema since Blade Runner 2049. I was afraid it was gonna be a chick-flick-musical but the songs are organically placed throughout the film (bar maybe one or two) and they feed into the plot. It's about a functional alcoholic rock star, not quite chick flick material. I was skeptical for the first 20 minutes then it gripped me. Highly recommend it.

I'll agree it's not a chick-flick template - but I still found the whole thing predictable and unsatisfactory. I'd high hopes for it
    (And yes, Blade Runner 2049 is amazing)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The people out there with those views are being wound up by bots. Every country around the world is subject to it.

The comments on that video were mostly to rambling to be bots. The single line stuff like calling for Claire to be fired or the comment about RTÉ being state propaganda yes, maybe.

I left Facebook because I was connected to a few people through dance music events. It seemed at times that their entire friend groups were made up of these people. After banging my head off a brick wall engaging with them enough times, I left. From these interactions I am of the view that there is a sizesble sub section of Irish society that subscribes to these views. Though nowhere near big enough to influence popular opinion or a vote thank god. They also tend to be drawn to each other over the internet into large echo chambers.

Can we have a politics thread in the rugby forum? The politics Forum is full of very silly people...

So is the rugby forum...

*Obviously not you venjur*

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Have ya not been in the Ireland thread this week? ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I absolutely love musicals, though like wp_ moreso on the stage. Not sure they generally work in movies.

Someone sent it on to me, I hadn't realised at the time that the account was churning our videos like that. I still wouldn't believe that the comments are legitimate from different Irish people with one account each though.

Someone sent it on to me, I hadn't realised at the time that the account was churning our videos like that. I still wouldn't believe that the comments are legitimate from different Irish people with one account each though.

Yeah I think maybe there’s a misunderstanding of exactly what bits are at play here.

There was a great podcast on the topic done by Reply All, The Prophet, which touched on their usage in Mexican elections. The level of rambling or conversational context does not really affect whether or not these are bot accounts. Some are being run by individuals in an interactive context, they’re just using multiple accounts. I’ve no doubt some are very much real people who are off the deep end and being played like a fiddle.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I absolutely love musicals

*Shakes fist at screen*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement