Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit worried? mod note in first post

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Augur seems to be on the same run that ETC was on a couple of days ago (before it fell back to original levels).
    There seems to be a fairly organised PnD going on across some coins over the last couple of weeks.
    ETC, BNC, BCash and REP stand out over the last couple of weeks in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Things seem to be taking a bit of a tumble at the moment...

Nothing much has happened since the big rise in December and the big fall in January. Since then the trend has been upwards, if anything

Daily fluctuations of 10% up or down happen quite frequently. Mostly without any underlying reasons :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Time of the month (futures expiring in a few days).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blokt.com/news/mt-gox-cold-wallet-moves-8200-btc-will-bitcoin-dump/amp

Mt. Gox dump over 8k BTC, this is what happens to the market when they do that

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blokt.com/news/mt-gox-cold-wallet-moves-8200-btc-will-bitcoin-dump/amp

Mt. Gox dump over 8k 9vrr BTC this is what happens to the market when they do that

Cheers - Hadn't seen that news

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The largest exchange in South Korea was also raided by the cops in a probe into major financial irregularities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Cheers - Hadn't seen that news

Something like 10k (2 batches of 5k) moved from the Mt Gox address in the last few days. A pullback of this nature is to be expected with such a sale, looks like we will bounce back off support.
    Consensus forum next week too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

kstand wrote: »
    Something like 10k (2 batches of 5k) moved from the Mt Gox address in the last few days. A pullback of this nature is to be expected with such a sale, looks like we will bounce back off support.
    Consensus forum next week too.

Does anyone have any idea how many coins this lunatic has left?

• Advertisement

tcawley29 wrote: »

There was 200k coins originally. Think 32k have been sold so far. Kraken wanted him to use otc to sell, but he is using public exchanges. Also has a corresponding amount of Bitcoin Cash.

There was 200k coins originally. Think 32k have been sold so far. Kraken wanted him to use otc to sell, but he is using public exchanges. Also has a corresponding amount of Bitcoin Cash.

Guess we're gonna be in for a bumpy ride :pac:

Funnily enough if I was an owner of bitcoin then I wouldn’t be as worried about this as I would be about the Tether/Bitfinex situation. That’s the real elephant in the room.

What I don’t understand is why he can’t go and auction them privately.

greed possibly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There is no he. There is a liquidator assigned to recover as much money as possible. There are a few people involved and it's a group decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

The largest exchange in South Korea was also raided by the cops in a probe into major financial irregularities.

This I believe is a fishing expedition, there were reports the koreans were hitting smallers exchanges too so dont be surprised if you see other big names being hit 1 by 1 in korea. They are trying to throw st!t at the walls to see what sticks

greed possibly?

He’s just the liquidator. His job is to get the best price he can. That’s the task of any liquidator. Doubt there’s any financial gain on his behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

unkel wrote: »
    Nothing much has happened since the big rise in December and the big fall in January. Since then the trend has been upwards, if anything

Daily fluctuations of 10% up or down happen quite frequently. Mostly without any underlying reasons :D

Yeah recent trend has been upwards

I typically get worried when it sets off on another mini-bull for over a few days, typically that gets corrected

If we ignore the large spikes and especially Dec/Jan - then there is a nice overall trend - an underlying line that the market seems to adhere to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

+1

I've gotten into a few coins that are worth about one tenth of what they were at their ATH, but the coins seem to be decent and their value (in BTC) has been quite stable over the past few months. For me it's a long term thing, I'm not worried about short bull or bear runs.

Basically if someone bought an index (or even spread) of the e.g. top 30 coins this time last year (taking June 1st) they are currently up roughly 300% or more

I know last year was exceptional and the cat is now out of the bag, but not a bad little return. Very curious to see what it's at this time next year

• Advertisement

Another Mt Gox sell off this morning it seems - market red all over and all of this during Consensus. Must try and find out how many are left to be sold - this could be a never ending cycle for the next few months which could and probably will slow any significant institutional money flowing in. One or 2 analysts have already flagged up the next G20 summit as a potential benchmark (Nov 30th - Dec 1st in Argentina). Also the ongoing SEC - Ethereum scrutiny - if for some reason they declare Ethereum a security, then that will have huge implications in the short to medium term. Personally I don’t think they can consider ETH a security, it’s primarily a utility token in perhaps the purest sense - however plenty of tokens that have launched on Ethereum don’t necessarily fall into that bracket - are they going to examine each of them individually?

I doubt the recent drop has anything to do with the Gox sell-off. It's the boogeyman that's dragged out every time there is a dip

Traders make money when the market also goes down, in fact they rely on it. Traders often follow patterns, have enough of them and they can set the pace and trajectory themselves

Also significant number of people into crypto are not in this for crypto. They are in it for fiat. If they feel they can make a quick buck and then sell they will.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    I doubt the recent drop has anything to do with the Gox sell-off. It's the boogeyman that's dragged out every time there is a dip

Traders make money when the market also goes down, in fact they rely on it. Traders often follow patterns, have enough of them and they can set the pace and trajectory themselves

Also significant number of people into crypto are not in this for crypto. They are in it for fiat. If they feel they can make a quick buck and then sell they will.

Tell me then, why would they take a quick buck in the last 36 hours when the market was trading sideways? There were no profits to be taken the last few days - there were a week or so ago when the market cap was up over $410bn.

Btw I’d love to see your analysis on this one - market trading sideways - nothing to be made yet traders taking profits. At sub $140 LTC and €8300 BTC. You and the 4 lads who thanked you. I’d love to hear the logic. The only thing it can mean is that we are heading back down to circa $7000 BTC and there’s no support on any level on the way down. Let’s have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Btw I’d love to see your analysis on this one - market trading sideways - nothing to be made yet traders taking profits. At sub $140 LTC and €8300 BTC. You and the 4 lads who thanked you. I’d love to hear the logic. The only thing it can mean is that we are heading back down to circa $7000 BTC and there’s no support on any level on the way down. Let’s have it.

This is a market for a new and yet to be fully understoof asset class, unregulated, and with almost no institutional investors and possibly a majority of investors who who are fairly new to trading.

All this makes the market volatile and actions can't always rationally explained.

Bob24 wrote: »
    This is a market for a new and yet to be fully understoof asset class, unregulated, and with almost no institutional investors and possibly a majority of investors who who are fairly new to trading.

All this makes the market volatile and actions can't always rationally explained.

That may be the case but don’t tell me that people were taking profit at those prices with the market trading sideways.

market trading sideways - nothing to be made yet traders taking profits.

The entire US stock market slid 4.6% recently in it's worst day since 2007

In comparison, with crypto, the aggregate of the top 50 coins have, by my count, moved up and down 7 times at approx 2% per move in a recent 24 hour period

It may look "flat" but it certainly isn't. To see it with your own eyes try loading in an index of the top coins in any portfolio app and watch the movements yourself. That's a lot of spreads. Up, down or sideways, traders (and their bots) are making money. The market doesn't need to flow in one direction only for profitability

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    The entire US stock market slid 4.6% recently in it's worst day since 2007

In comparison, with crypto, the aggregate of the top 50 coins have, by my count, moved up and down 7 times at approx 2% per move in a recent 24 hour period

It may look "flat" but it certainly isn't. To see it with your own eyes try loading in an index of the top coins in any portfolio app and watch the movements yourself. That's a lot of spreads. Up, down or sideways, traders (and their bots) are making money. The market doesn't need to flow in one direction only for profitability

That I get, and daily 2/3% swings are par for the course, but generally when you see the overall market cap drop by 5 to 10% then there are other factors involved, such as FUD in the market etc.

That I get, and daily 2/3% swings are par for the course, but generally when you see the overall market cap drop by 5 to 10% then there are other factors involved, such as FUD in the market etc.

Yes and no. Bad news can trigger a drop, but that doesn't mean that every drop is caused by bad news

Since no one knows how to value these things correctly (in contrast the average price of a stock can be generally figured out), it means the whole market is on a hair trigger. Excuse the analogy, but it's like a flock of birds suddenly changing direction, sometimes it's a hawk, sometimes it's just a few birds changing and the rest following

Some (many) don't like to acknowledge how random the market is or how quickly confidence can change so they often feel compelled to validate every drop with the usual boogeymen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Speculator

It would appear that things have not changed so much from the past, I came across this Thread in Conspiracy Theories dated 07-03-2014, 20:27

This should bring our FUD and FOMO into perspective considering how far we have come. The power of hindshight!

Is there a concerted effort to destroy bitcoin and people faith in it?
    Several high profile incidents concerning it in the few months. First was the collapse of Silk Road. That wouldn't raise too much eyebrows despite its supposed safety and anonymity, as it was always going to be targeted. Recently though there's been a string of incidents. The second silk road site collapsed, either due to hacking or fraud, although it wouldn't be a stretch to say it could have been set up by agencies with the intent to let it build up a profile before destroying it to reduce the legitimacy of the online market place as a whole, and put a big dent in the illegal online trade. A couple of days before Silk Road 2 collapsed, one of its main rivals, Utopia, was shut down and raided by Dutch police.

But the we had the big one, the collapse of Mt Gox. Mt Gox controlled 70% of the worlds bitcoin transactions, and was apparently hacked, with $450m dollars going missing.
    At the same time, last week the owner of First Meta, another bitcoin exchange, was found dead from 'unnatural cause', with suicide been given as the reason. Another service, Flexcoin, said it was closing during the week after it was hacked and all currency it held stolen, ammounting to $600,000. There are also major headlines everytime a country announces it doesn't accept bitcoin as a currency, for example just today the front page of the BBC was about Japan refusing to recognise it as legitimate but saying they would find ways to tax it.

Understandably there's going to be more interest in something as it grows, but there seems to be a big increase in attacks and negative publicity for it since the first silk road went down. A concerted effort by government agencies before it gets too out of hand and they can't control it?

Here is the thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89351080

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Hello darkness my old friend...

I've come to slaughter you again...

Brendan's back, time to buy this dip!
    Brendan, you have been the most reliable indicator of a market bottom I've come across so far.
    Your posts have made me profits that would be significantly greater but for my own weak hands.
    Thank you....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

http://www.businessinsider.com/lmax-exchange-launches-cryptocurrency-exchange-for-institutional-investors-2018-5?r=UK&IR=T

There's is potentionally a massive influx of new money coming (which is something johnnyflashconstantly contests about)

I feel the current drop is the whales manipulation of the market to get back in at lower prices before the new money comes in and brings everything up again.

It's been said for the last 6 months that banks and hedge funds etc are coming and it seems sooner rasther than later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

sexmag wrote: »
    http://www.businessinsider.com/lmax-exchange-launches-cryptocurrency-exchange-for-institutional-investors-2018-5?r=UK&IR=T

There's is potentionally a massive influx of new money coming (which is something johnnyflashconstantly contests about)

I feel the current drop is the whales manipulation of the market to get back in at lower prices before the new money comes in and brings everything up again.

It's been said for the last 6 months that banks and hedge funds etc are coming and it seems sooner rasther than later

lol it seems that this 'manipulation of the market to get back in at lower prices' is self-defeating since it seems to be going on an almost permanent basis with no signs of abatement. No point in buying in at constant new lows if the damm market never goes bullish again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Whales, manipulation, this and that ... it’s like witnessing the crash all over again ( albeit from a high horse )

Utter madness the stuff some people are coming out with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Speculator

Ok now we know why the market tanked, market manipulation being investigated.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-24/bitcoin-manipulation-is-said-to-be-focus-of-u-s-criminal-probe

The market should bounce!

Sell the rumour by the news in a Downtrend as opposed to buy the rumour sell the news in an Uptrend.

Speculator wrote: »
    Ok now we know why the market tanked, market manipulation being investigated.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-24/bitcoin-manipulation-is-said-to-be-focus-of-u-s-criminal-probe

The market should bounce!

Sell the rumour by the news in a Downtrend as opposed to buy the rumour sell the news in an Uptrend.

The auditors who Tether hired and then fired have also been subpoenaed.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-24/bitfinex-said-to-find-bank-in-puerto-rico-after-wells-fargo-exit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Jesus. Fecking bloodbath out there. Even the famous PPL analysis method didn't predict a massacre as bad as this. Hope everyone is hodling up OK.

Jesus. Fecking bloodbath out there. Even the famous PPL analysis method didn't predict a massacre as bad as this. Hope everyone is hodling up OK.

Paddy I'm not gonna lie, I saw the thread notification and thought here's Paddy with his after time analysis ;) glad to see I am mistaken.

It is a very sharp dip, likely driven by the moves to counter market manipulation that are currently picking up.
    The folks banging the drum about institutional money are in for a rude awakening if they think the S.E.C are going to sit back and allow the market to be so openly manipulated.
    The wash trading, the OTC coin dumps, the MT Gox trustee trades and in particular Tether are all going to come into sharp focus over the next few months I'd hazard.

• Advertisement

It was predicted by this guy in coindesk the other day. He's article makes sense he just couldn't predict which way it would go.

https://www.coindesk.com/which-way-now-low-bitcoin-price-volatility-may-force-breakout/

50 billion dollars gone in the last 24 hours which was nearly 1/7 Of the market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

banie01 wrote: »
    Paddy I'm not gonna lie, I saw the thread notification and thought here's Paddy with his after time analysis ;) glad to see I am mistaken.

It is a very sharp dip, likely driven by the moves to counter market manipulation that are currently picking up.
    The folks banging the drum about institutional money are in for a rude awakening if they think the S.E.C are going to sit back and allow the market to be so openly manipulated.
    The wash trading, the OTC coin dumps, the MT Gox trustee trades and in particular Tether are all going to come into sharp focus over the next few months I'd hazard.

To be fair my public predictions were bang on. Completely misjudged this one though. Glad I didn't make any public pronouncements about the price.

banie01 wrote: »

Jaysus, Banie, you coming around to my line of thinking?!

I'd put them all into the small space compared to the environmental impact of Bitcoin and Ether. Proof of Work is a system that rewards spending as much electricity as possible. And that really isn't good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

It was predicted by this guy in coindesk the other day. He's article makes sense he just couldn't predict which way it would go.

https://www.coindesk.com/which-way-now-low-bitcoin-price-volatility-may-force-breakout/

50 billion dollars gone in the last 24 hours which was nearly 1/7 Of the market

People are making predictions all the time about everything. That 'prediction' is worthless.

lol - just read it, he doesn't even predict whether it will go up or down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Horrible day.

Except veritasium somehow up 40%

Anthracite wrote: »
    People are making predictions all the time about everything. That 'prediction' is worthless.

lol - just read it, he doesn't even predict whether it will go up or down!

Did you actually read my comment before replying?

• Advertisement

Horrible day.

Except veritasium somehow up 40%

That's a pump and dump, Chancer. The liquidity is pretty small, but they've managed to make about 2.2 million as a result. Diminishing returns, but they got the ethereum out on the market for about that much.

Proof of Work is a system that rewards spending as much electricity as possible. And that really isn't good.

Agreed but I'm almost certain that people pointed out arguments to this too you previously? Pos I believe

Also as soon as we go full renewable energy it wont make a lick of difference how much we use, we can just make more

Agreed but I'm almost certain that people pointed out arguments to this too you previously? Pos I believe

Also as soon as we go full renewable energy it wont make a lick of difference how much we use, we can just make more

Full renewable energy? I rarely ask for any follow up on a place like this, but how the sweet Jesus is that going to happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The materials used to make the machinery that captures renewable energy is often harmful to the environment so we should minimise the infrastructure needed by being efficient as much as possible.

If everyone used bitcoin and the electricity costs scaled up proportionally it would delay the world going fully renewable by at least 100 years.

GarIT wrote: »
    The materials used to make the machinery that captures renewable energy is often harmful to the environment so we should minimise the infrastructure needed by being efficient as much as possible.

If everyone used bitcoin and the electricity costs scaled up proportionally it would delay the world going fully renewable by at least 100 years.

Also, any pow implementation rewards you for throwing as much computing power at the lowest energy cost possible so you can win coins. So renewable energy will never be at the races. A complete fiasco.

• Advertisement
Advertisement