Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit worried? mod note in first post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

This
    Yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Thanks Grindle. I’m as thick as two short planks so it’s mighty to get a vote of confidence like that from a smart bucko such as yourself. I might change my mind about this crypto stuff when I see a single viable business using it. In the interim I’m very happy I didn’t get caught up in the hype around this and suffered >90% loss on investment as a result. What would I know though! New paradigm I suppose. A really slow database that uses massive amounts of electricity is going to change the world.

This "I'm thick" narrative is getting very tiresome, it's a means to try get posters to dumb it down for you in the hope that you can prove that it ultimately still doesn't make sense.

I'm not buying it, especially when every 2nd post is supposed to be trying to get people no to invest and save their money based on all your research, very conflicting mindsets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I’m as thick as two short planks.

Your words, regularly repeated, and starting to gain some traction.
    I might change my mind about this crypto stuff when I see a single viable business using it.

Not that you haven't been given plenty of examples already, but last time I checked MasterCard were a viable business using blockchain. I see Europe's first IOTA based car charging station was unveiled a short while back too, though I guess you reckon this whole electric car thing won't ever take off either, hey Johnny? Meanwhile, Dell keep a page dedicated to blockchain advocacy, and AFAIK they're viable too. In fact just about every major organisation on the planet is getting involved in this 'really slow database that uses massive amounts of electricity' fad. Clearly they don't have the refined intellect and insight of one such as yourself. Either that, or maybe they've got a few people on board that aren't as thick as two short planks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

smacl wrote: »
    In fact just about every major organisation on the planet is getting involved in this 'really slow database that uses massive amounts of electricity' fad.

Yup, can confirm for the financial industry, either via their own current projects and/or in conjunction with crypto projects especially with smart contracts and distributed ledger tech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Thanks Grindle. I’m as thick as two short planks so it’s mighty to get a vote of confidence like that from a smart bucko such as yourself. I might change my mind about this crypto stuff when I see a single viable business using it. In the interim I’m very happy I didn’t get caught up in the hype around this and suffered >90% loss on investment as a result. What would I know though! New paradigm I suppose. A really slow database that uses massive amounts of electricity is going to change the world.

Surely any MOD monitoring this forum has to flag this as trolling at this stage? It's getting beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Your words, regularly repeated, and starting to gain some traction.

Not that you haven't been given plenty of examples already, but last time I checked MasterCard were a viable business using blockchain. I see Europe's first IOTA based car charging station was unveiled a short while back too, though I guess you reckon this whole electric car thing won't ever take off either, hey Johnny? Meanwhile, Dell keep a page dedicated to blockchain advocacy, and AFAIK they're viable too. In fact just about every major organisation on the planet is getting involved in this 'really slow database that uses massive amounts of electricity' fad. Clearly they don't have the refined intellect and insight of one such as yourself. Either that, or maybe they've got a few people on board that aren't as thick as two short planks.

Not to mention the biggest car making company in the world is going to be using IOTA by next year

https://ethereumworldnews.com/iota-volkswagen-2019-release/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Yawn

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

GarIT wrote: »
    I don't know about the many others reading this thread but I'm getting sick of the nonsense, two pages of posts now and not a sentence worth reading between them.

24h laters, this statement still holds true :-/

This is Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Krugman calling it a Ponzi scheme:

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/bitcoin-is-basically-a-ponzi-scheme/

Now it seems that Mr. Krugman's views are changing. He now believes that Bitcoin has more utility than gold.

LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Now it seems that Mr. Krugman's views are changing. He now believes that Bitcoin has more utility than gold.

LINK

This is what happens when you read puff pieces from barely literate crypto ‘journalists’. Confirmation bias. That isn’t what Krugman said. He’s a noted gold bug sceptic, and suggest bitcoin has more utility that it - bitcoin can be used for criminality.

This is a far more accurate article about the conference.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/paul-krugman-questions-cryptocurrencies-at-chainxchange-las-vegas/

• Advertisement

BS! Far more accurate how? Because it fits into his world view? I didn't say that Krugman had turned pro-crypto - he says his biggest issue with bitcoin is transaction cost - and that he remains crypto-skeptic.

He (Podge/Rodge) would have you believe that because Krugman isn't a great believer in Gold, then the point is lessened. Given the role that Gold has played in the world, I would say it's worthy of note and far from the 'ponzi scheme' alluded to...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

BS! Far more accurate how? Because it fits into his world view? I didn't say that Krugman had turned pro-crypto - he says his biggest issue with bitcoin is transaction cost - and that he remains crypto-skeptic.

He (Podge/Rodge) would have you believe that because Krugman isn't a great believer in Gold, then the point is lessened. Given the role that Gold has played in the world, I would say it's worthy of note and far from the 'ponzi scheme' alluded to...

You posted a badly written article by someone called Princess Ogono on a website dedicated to writing positive pro-crypto click bait articles. It took about 15 seconds on google to see that the article fundamentally misrepresented what Krugman said. They twisted his words to make it look like he was changing his mind about crypto. He isn’t. This is actually a really perfect example of the spin, smoke and mirrors, and bad actors that make up so much of the crypto scene.

Krugman isn’t even the most negative economist either. I’d suggest you stay away from the twitter account of Nouriel Roubini is you want to keep your blood pressure down. He’s a professor of economics at NYU so he’s a smart bucko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

...bitcoin can be used for criminality.
    As opposed to:
    foreign-exchange-banking-notes-1200x620.jpg

Also: TIL less direct quotes from a speaker's mouth = more accuracy. You teach me so much JF, I'd say there might be a third plank somewhere in that noggin.

He would have you believe that the article he links to is somehow superior - it's not. If a transcript of the conference can be produced, then it can be settled. Otherwise, both articles stand (because it was never stated that Krugman has become pro-crypto - just that he now positions it above gold in terms of utility).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

mod note:
    I really want to accommodate both side of discussion in this forum as I believe it is healthy to question, even things you believe wholeheartedly.

JohnnyFlash, I've had words with you before about your conduct here. From this latest spurt of posting you have displayed some very "troll-like" posting traits, you are NOT discussing, you are soapboxing and deliberately misleading.

Now, SMACL posted a response to your request for examples of viable organisations using blockchain technology. You have ignored that in favour of attacking another poster for daring to have an opinion that differs from your own.

DO NOT POST HERE AGAIN UNTIL YOU HAVE ADRESSED SMACL'S POST THAT YOU CAN FIND HERE: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107838257&postcount=1755

and discuss the contrarian point of view but drop the smart arse "I dont know much but...." . Its not helping the discussion at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I have been monitoring crypto for a few years now, I think that around 90 - 95% of the coins are destined for failure but as a technology, it will succeed.

If you went back 15 years and told people they would be able to do pretty much everything they can do on a computer and more, but on a phone, you would have been laughed at.

People said that electric cars would never be a viable alternative, they are now and given a few years, they will take over.

People would have laughed at the concept of not carrying cash 10 years ago, it's the norm now... so how exactly is a digital currency a bad thing? Being realistic, fiat currency is digital, except with large bank fees and long transaction times. Yes you can physically get some, but it's no different from a token.

If you can't understand the benefits of crypto, take my own personal experience as an example of how it would benefit: I have to buy my goods from Pakistan. Each time I pay via BACS I pay a €12 transaction fee - I only pay 50% upfront to protect myself from being swindled and to also make sure they deliver in a timely manner (if they have all the money, they take their sweet time). My seller also has to pay a transaction fee (which makes my goods cost more as he isn't taking the hit) and the transfer takes between 3-5 days. My supplier won't ship until they have been paid so this often leads to delays and being out of stock - if you are out of stock you can loose up to 40% of potential business. When I sell my goods, I have to pay Realex/ Stripe a fee per transaction, around 1.5% - 2%, higher if I use paypal. I also have to wait for the funds to clear before they are accessible.

So, on a whole, I am paying through the nose on bank fees and I also have to forecast further out to compensate for bank delays, plus have to wait longer to access the proceeds of my sales to pay for my stock. Add to that the currency exchange market and how one week I could be getting $1.17 to €1 and the next week $1.13 to €1. When you are trying to forecast and buy stock, all these extra factors make life very difficult. With a stable crypto, the cost would be the cost, it would be done in seconds and the transfer fees would be minimal.... the only analogy I can think which comes close is the comparison of dial up 1mbs wired connection versus 500mb wireless connection.

Now scale this up for a company with multiple suppliers in multiple jurisdictions, so for example they are making 50 transactions a day at a cost of €600 per day (€12 per transfer), that's a weekly cost of €4,200 and annual cost of €218,400. If they are then doing 500 transactions per day online with an average order value of €80 and commission of 1.5%, they are paying €600 per day in transaction fees and €219,000 per year.

This also doesn't take into account the time lost due to bank transfers, sale processing fees, currency exchange fluctuations and the delay in being able to access their funds post sale. It also doesn't take into account scamming and money lost due to fraudulent orders. It also requires a whole lot of extra manpower to manage all of this.

Crytpo could easily save a business like that hundreds of thousands a year, even millions (a prime example being Amazon, hence why they are working on a crypto). The only things holding it back is mass adoption, the volatility of the market and what to bench mark the value against as they can't bench mark against fiat in the long term as mass adoption would seriously devalue fiat.

Once the banks accept this is happening, they will have to adopt it and then it's a case of starting from scratch and being years behind established crypto's or using the existing technology. It will be a race for adoption and hence, they will choose to use the existing technology. It's no different to vaping and the big tobacco, originally they went all out to rubbish it, but once they realised this was happening, they started buying up the existing companies.

I think for crypto, as oppose to blockchain more generally, to really enter the mainstream it needs an open, highly transparent, regulatory mechanism to keep it roughly in check with other mainstream currencies. Something like tether, but glass box with respect to backing assets and operators. Mainstream users, as opposed to investors or gamblers, really want stability at a similar level to that offered by larger currencies. Once you get enough users on board, they'll probably be part of that stabilizing force. I think it's inevitable, but have no idea when exactly it will happen or whether any of the current coins will be involved.

Something like tether, but glass box with respect to backing assets and operators. Mainstream users, as opposed to investors or gamblers, really want stability at a similar level to that offered by larger currencies. Once you get enough users on board, they'll probably be part of that stabilizing force. I think it's inevitable, but have no idea when exactly it will happen or whether any of the current coins will be involved.
    I think that's why we're seeing a deluge of stablecoins hitting the market. Tether has tarnished the stablecoin concept and put doubt into peoples mind as to whether they can trust it. However, they are coming through now in different forms that are more effective at demonstrating backing funds, etc.

Furthermore, up until now, bitcoin has always been proposed as a solution in any country where there is volatility. Turkey being the most recent example. However, when hyperinflation or economic turmoil strikes, all people are looking to do is maintain their existing wealth. Rather than have to also deal with the (current) volatility of bitcoin, it's likely that a stablecoin would offer a far better solution.

Following on from earlier - a clarification of Paul Krugman's comments at last weeks ChainXchange conference in Las Vegas;

LINK

“Gold is dead… Bitcoin has more utility than gold,”

"There is some chance for Bitcoin to be valuable in the future."

• Advertisement

Following on from earlier - a clarification of Paul Krugman's comments at last weeks ChainXchange conference in Las Vegas;

LINK

Doing a search on the above it seems difficult enough to get neutral coverage on it, NullTX was probably among the better ones I scanned, and it does seem to be a turnaround from his piece in the NY Times in July;
    Most gold just sits there, possessing value because people believe it possesses value. But gold does have real-world uses, both for jewelry and for things like filling teeth, that provide a weak but real tether to the real economy.

Cryptocurrencies, by contrast, have no backstop, no tether to reality. Their value depends entirely on self-fulfilling expectations — which means that total collapse is a real possibility. If speculators were to have a collective moment of doubt, suddenly fearing that Bitcoins were worthless, well, Bitcoins would become worthless.

Personally, I think Krugman's position on crypto is weak, insofar as he readily admits it is limited to BTC and seems weighed down by concerns relating to energy usage. This is in all probability short sighted, as both BTC and the energy usage issue are liable to be no more than transitional stages in the the long term adoption (or not) in crypto-currency. I don't for a moment believe the technical or stability issues surrounding crypto are insurmountable and do believe the utility is real. On that basis, it seems probable to me at least that it will become ubiquitous over time. YMMV.

Doing a search on the above it seems difficult enough to get neutral coverage on it, NullTX was probably among the better ones I scanned, and it does seem to be a turnaround from his piece in the NY Times in July;
    I would have said as much were I not having to deal with a less than objective troll. However, just 2 or 3 pages back, I'm on record as saying that info regarding crypto cannot be trusted.

That said, it was a direct quote I was looking for - and unless they've blatantly lied entirely, that seems to confirm the view he expressed.

I think it's interesting as we've also seen a softening of Robert Shiller's view (he certainly hasn't changed his mind but the level of conviction expressed softened in his most recent comments). We've had bankers say all manner of things about bitcoin and crypto only to find that all the while, they've been busy setting up trading desks and the like.

LINK

I find it hard to take seriously a statement starting with “gold is dead”. Mind you, I think bitcoin could have a future, but someone saying gold is dead is just telling BS to seek attention.

Bob24 wrote: »
    I find it hard to take seriously a statement starting with “gold is dead”. Mind you, I think bitcoin could have a future, but someone saying gold is dead is just telling BS to seek attention.
    I suppose it goes back to the origins of the 'store of value' debate. Some say that 'store of value' is just a default position whereby bitcoin has no utility whilst others claim that it can act as a store of value.

If it can, then it takes on gold. It effectively would have the same 'utility' as gold - with the ability to be able to transact it digitally - quickly and to where-ever on the planet. The logic goes that if it can achieve only a few % of the overall volume use of gold, then it becomes much more significant...

The whole thing is a mess. Listen, people lost money. It’s only money.

Just to address this, people who bought into that bubble in December/Jan have lost money, many investors who bought in before then are up (significantly up in quite a few cases). A reminder that Ethereum was 10 euros only last year

I suppose it goes back to the origins of the 'store of value' debate. Some say that 'store of value' is just a default position whereby bitcoin has no utility whilst others claim that it can act as a store of value.

If it can, then it takes on gold. It effectively would have the same 'utility' as gold - with the ability to be able to transact it digitally - quickly and to where-ever on the planet. The logic goes that if it can achieve only a few % of the overall volume use of gold, then it becomes much more significant...

Convenience is not always the main thing people are looking for though, especially if you talk about an asset seen as a last resort store of value.

Gold has a very long proven track record, is tangible, and doesn’t require continuous availability of any type of technology to keep playing its role. Bitcoin loses on all these criteria, which would be important to many people who are buying gold (especially physical gold, bitcoin could be more of a competitor for gold ETFs).

So again, no saying there is no role for bitcoin to play but “gold is dead” makes zero sense and is just an attention grabbing exercise.

• Advertisement

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Just to address this, people who bought into that bubble in December/Jan have lost money, many investors who bought in before then are up (significantly up in quite a few cases). A reminder that Ethereum was 10 euros only last year
    If people chose to make speculative investments, they stand to gain or lose. I have a friend that day trades the conventional markets - it cuts both ways - regardless of what the underlying asset happens to be.

I don't think there's anyone here that's suggesting that there are no risks with speculation.

The separate track to the discussion is consideration of the tech itself - how it's being developed, how it's anticipated to pan out, it's use case, etc. You can definitely decouple one from the other.

Convenience is not always the main thing people are looking for though, especially if you talk about an asset seen as a last resort store of value. Gold has a very long proven track record.
    I think the key is track record. It's a matter of whether bitcoin continues to stick around - if people still keep the faith with it. Right now, it is a store of value (albeit a very volatile one...and that's something else that would have to be ironed out if it is to succeed in this use case). Then again, perhaps there's more utility in a stablecoin for such a purpose...we will have to see.
    So again, no saying there is no role for bitcoin to play but “gold is dead” makes zero sense and is just an attention grabbing exercise.
    Maybe he was playing to the gallery - and of course, if he is not a believer in gold anyways (regardless of what he believes about crypto), more likely to come out with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Gold has a very long proven track record, is tangible, and doesn’t require continuous availability of any type of technology to keep playing its role. Bitcoin loses on all these criteria, which would be important to many people who are buying gold (especially physical gold, bitcoin could be more of a competitor for gold ETFs).

Gold has a value because it is physical and can be touched. Gold also has a historical value when it was rare and used as currency, and like diamonds, the supply of gold is held back to keep the price high. Everyone is looking for something to bench mark crypto against but the reality is that there really isn't anything.

Personally rather than solving mathematical problems, I would love to see the 'mining' being used to solve actual problems which would benefit the world as a whole.

RoboRat wrote: »
    Personally rather than solving mathematical problems, I would love to see the 'mining' being used to solve actual problems which would benefit the world as a whole.

If PoS takes off miners can throw their power towards the computational tasks there'll be a market for thanks to blockchain. It's evolution, it just takes time. Imagine ETH and BTC's hashrate being used for projects like Golem or web services, decentralised AI compute. Instead of an arms race towards mining coins in the hope speculative frenzy kicks in it'll be an arms race towards disrupting existing monopolies in compute fields, trying to either fully replace or maybe become integral parts of AWS or VMware's businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Wait a minute...

So people are now saying bitcoin is not a currency, as it's too expensive to actually use in transactions. Instead, Bitcoin's real use is as a store of value; gold 2.0. But if it's too expensive to transact in, and unlike gold has no other actual uses, what value does it have to store?

At least gold is used in jewellery, electronics and many other industries. It also has a track record as a store of value for millenia.

People hodling bitcoin as a store of value because they think the whole financial system is going to come crashing down. Do you really think a crypto currency like bitcoin would do well in an apocalyptic scenario like that. What with its ludicrous electricity use, reliance on broadband and powerful asic processors. Laughable stuff.

• Advertisement

But if it's too expensive to transact in, and unlike gold has no other actual uses, what value does it have to store?

The value that people give it obviously. No different from gold in that respect, and to quote krugman once again 'Most gold just sits there, possessing value because people believe it possesses value' The fact that you can make pretty trinkets out of gold or use it to fill your gap teeth isn't what gives it value. It is its scarcity and desirability, much like BTC.

I think the key is track record. It's a matter of whether bitcoin continues to stick around - if people still keep the faith with it. Right now, it is a store of value (albeit a very volatile one...and that's something else that would have to be ironed out if it is to succeed in this use case). Then again, perhaps there's more utility in a stablecoin for such a purpose...we will have to see.

Maybe he was playing to the gallery - and of course, if he is not a believer in gold anyways (regardless of what he believes about crypto), more likely to come out with this.

Agreed overall, but I wouldn’t underestimate tangibility and non-reliance on any technology as important factors.

While it might seem like paranoid thinking, things like the facts that you can see gold or burry it in your garden if you want, or that it would survive a computer apocalypse are part of what gives it universal acceptance as one of the most resilient stores of value in existence.

So people are now saying bitcoin is not a currency, as it's too expensive to actually use in transactions.
    That's the meme created by Blockstream and Core devs, anybody with an ounce of sense sees through the bull.
    Instead, Bitcoin's real use is as a store of value; gold 2.0. But if it's too expensive to transact in, and unlike gold has no other actual uses, what value does it have to store?
    A bank account you can carry around inside your head? Good luck getting gold though any rigorous border control.

I can't speak to the rest of whatever you're saying because I don't really think Bitcoin can or will win out. But maybe it will. The incentive to adopt is extremely enticing and people are greedy.

#1782 : ignored.
    Agreed overall, but I wouldn’t underestimate tangibility and non-reliance on any technology as important factors. While it might seem like paranoid thinking, things like the facts that you can see gold or burry it in your garden if you want, or that it would survive a computer apocalypse are part of what gives it universal acceptance as one of the most resilient stores of value in existence.

It's all psychological - and millennials are more likely to get their head round the non-tangible aspect...potentially ...not saying it will play out that way. I guess it still needs more time. Gold has to be respected as it's been around since the year dot.

As regards the other uses that are referenced re. gold - I really don't think that has such a bearing on the value of gold. It's 90% about store of value with gold. Gold fillings, use in tech hardware, etc. - to me that's peripheral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

imho its a bit early to consider Crypto as a replacement for Gold.

Gold has been around since the year dot as makeorbrake says and , to now, there has been no successful method of faking it, cloning it or generating it from base materials (despite centuries of attempts and research).

The same cannot be said for Crypto currencies. Nothing has been found, yet, but plenty of currency attempts have been found lacking, enough to extend the period of distrust for all Cryptocurrencies.

Yes, it can be attributed to a generational thing but not necessarily because Millenials get their head around the concept easier. Millennials may be less risk averse and in some cases, just plain reckless or more easily lead....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

LoLth wrote: »

Gold has been around since the year dot as makeorbrake says and , to now, there has been no successful method of faking it, cloning it or generating it from base materials (despite centuries of attempts and research).

The same cannot be said for Crypto currencies. Nothing has been found, yet, but plenty of currency attempts have been found lacking, enough to extend the period of distrust for all Cryptocurrencies.

Yes, it can be attributed to a generational thing but not necessarily because Millenials get their head around the concept easier. Millennials may be less risk averse and in some cases, just plain reckless or more easily lead....

I don't think anyone suggests crypto in general as a gold replacement? Bitcoin gets that tag a bit as people have come to realise it's a poor currency, but other cryptos tend to get bandied around as the solution to other problems...

It would take a huge shift to replace something like gold as an arbitrary hold of value, but less of a huge shift to create a new channel as the preferred method of transferring value say, or a new network for proving ownership of x. Crypto as a store of wealth is almost an oxymoron for me, doesn't add up at all.

hots wrote: »
    I don't think anyone suggests crypto in general as a gold replacement?
    Krugman just did. This guy just did but clearly has a vested interest. Others have held that belief - can't remember any notables right now but it has been suggested.
    Bitcoin gets that tag a bit as people have come to realise it's a poor currency
    You're right - it has been discussed in that way....the suggestion that 'store of value' is just a fallback position for it simply not having a functional utility otherwise. However, I believe that the gold thing is psychological. If people will it, then it can. At the end of the day, you can say that gold or bitcoin or whatever has certain qualities - but people decide if it has a tangible value. At the moment, bitcoin has a value - it's an unsettled value but of course, if faith is lost, it could evaporate. We will have to see.
    The other issue....I think bitcoin can eventually settle and deal with the volatility issue. However, will this come soon enough as it's likely to be a long drawn out process? This could mean that a stablecoin would be more suited as a store of value....but then pegging a stablecoin to the USD may bring a different set of problems down the road...

It would take a huge shift to replace something like gold as an arbitrary hold of value
    Most peoples thinking is that in no way would we see a total flippening. However, if bitcoin cornered a couple of percent of the gold market, that would be huge (when you consider just how tiny crypto and bitcoin market cap. is).
    but less of a huge shift to create a new channel as the preferred method of transferring value say
    I think it's equally - if not more difficult. As well as the crypto needing to have the right qualities to pull this off (which it doesn't right now...maybe if Lightning Network comes through...), the eco-system needs to be built out to facilitate people to use it. In many instances, it would solve a problem that a lot of people don't have (plenty of people are happy with their current options and don't care so much about decentralisation and privacy) That said, there may be parts of the world and situations where there is an active use case.
    Crypto as a store of wealth is almost an oxymoron for me, doesn't add up at all.
    Why should anything be a store of wealth? It's all psychological.
    LoLth wrote:
    Yes, it can be attributed to a generational thing but not necessarily because Millenials get their head around the concept easier. Millennials may be less risk averse and in some cases, just plain reckless or more easily lead...
    Millenials are definitely less risk averse and less conservative - and so more willing to try out new things. As younger people come through, digital currency won't be such a strange/weird concept for them - like it has been for the rest of us when we first stumbled across it.
    LoLth wrote:
    A complete replacement, absolutely not...but perhaps it could make modest inroads eg. a couple of percent (which may not mean much from a gold perspective but would be massive when considering the overall numbers for BTC and crypto).

Krugman just did.

He did. My take on this from a philosophical standpoint is that value isn't so much intrinsic to a thing as a relationship between that thing and one or more people. The notion that the value of gold is somehow connected to is utility in terms of making jewelry or filling teeth I think is entirely specious. We make jewelry from gold because we ascribe value to gold, not the other way around. Gold will remain a preferred method for storing value until such time as it isn't. This could well be the case for a very long time yet but the reasons why this should be so are liable to become eroded over time. Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM until people got fired for buying IBM ;)

Just came accros this chart from a financial analyst defining what criteria are required to be considered a safe heaven investment and rating several asset classes including gold and bitcoin based one those:

5b7c6aa2959f3432008b5421-640-365.jpg

I don’t necessarily think it covers the whole story or agree with all his assessments, but it can be good for thoughts in the discussion we’ve been having.

Bit of an odd one to put future demand certainty for US treasuries, Gold and reserve currency ahead of agricultural commodities. Pretty certain that people will continue to eat. It would also be interesting to have some other large tech shares like Google or Apple in the mix. Also not quite sure where how BTC and ETH are at different ends of the spectrum in terms of scarcity of supply, assuming green means scarce and valuable on that basis.

• Advertisement

Bit of an odd one to put future demand certainty for US treasuries, Gold and reserve currency ahead of agricultural commodities. Pretty certain that people will continue to eat.

I believe it's because many agricultural commodities have shorter lifespans than treasuries

Bit of an odd one to put future demand certainty for US treasuries, Gold and reserve currency ahead of agricultural commodities. Pretty certain that people will continue to eat.

I guess when you are looking for a safe heaven what matters is to have certainty of demand within the lifespan of the particular asset you are buying (which guarantees you can dispose of it if you want to), rather than more generally knowing that the asset class it belongs to will still be in demand in the future. As per a previous post the issue here is probably related to lifespan: if you buy loads of dairies and due to over supply no one want to buy the off you before they goes bad, you’ll effectively never have had any demand for your asset, and the fact that dairies become very high demand again a month later is no good to you as your stock is not in sellable condition anymore.

Also not quite sure where how BTC and ETH are at different ends of the spectrum in terms of scarcity of supply, assuming green means scarce and valuable on that basis.

My understanding is that bitcoin specifies a maximum number of coins eventually in circulation (ie the scarcity they are reporting) whereas ether doesn’t.

But I’m not sure I fully buy that argument: the scarcity of bitcoin is only defined by an algorithm which could be changed easily from a technical point of view, as opposed to the scarcity of gold which is defined by natural limits outside of human control (until we are able to produce artificial gold, but that is much more of a challenge that amending an algorithm). Also currently bitcoin is only sustainable because there is a buisiness model for miners who get paid coins for running the network. I am not super bitcoin savvy but I am not clear what the plan is to keep things going once the limit has been reached and no new coins can’t be generated anymore to pay miners. Won’t this upper limit be questioned then?

The artificial scarcity of Bitcoin is the key component of it's market value

I am not super bitcoin savvy but I am not clear what the plan is to keep things going once the limit has been reached and no new coins can’t be generated anymore to pay miners. Won’t this upper limit be questioned then?
    tx fees.

tx fees.

That’s what I had in mind, but it would probably reduce liquidity even more.

That’s what I had in mind, but it would probably reduce liquidity even more.

Why? BTC goes to 8 places of decimal.

Why? BTC goes to 8 places of decimal.

If some of the transaction cost which is currently covered by the network (by generating new coins and giving them to miners) is transfered to the 2 parties carrying out the transaction (as a transaction fee), there would presumably be less transactions i.e. the bitcoin market would become less liquid.

Basically to my understanding the mining process as it stands slightly devalues all bitcoins in existence to fund transactions (by creating new coins out of nothing and using them to remunerate miners), whereas fully moving to a transaction fee system instead would transfer that currently shared cost* only to the people trading bitcoins (and while guaranteeing scarcity that increased trading cost for the 2 parties who are transacting would incentivise against making transactions hence reducing market liquidity).

* currently part of the the cost of each BTC transaction is shared by all bitcoin holders who accept a small dilution of the value of their asset each time a bitcoin is generated out of thin air by the network and given to a miner for processing transactions. So even if I never transact, as long as I hold bitcoins I am funding other people’s transactions through that process.

If some of the transaction cost which is currently covered by the network (by generating new coins and giving them to miners) is transfered to the 2 parties carrying out the transaction (as a transaction fee), there would presumably be less transactions i.e. the bitcoin market would become less liquid.

As crypto moves from PoW to PoS this tends to become less of an issue. I think a major difference here between the BTC and ETC over the other items listed is how new they are and the amount of change they're still going through and how poorly understood they are. Gold, pork bellies, and bricks and mortar are an order of magnitude more stable, where cryptocurrencies are dynamic, volatile and not really comparable at this point in time. I'd guess we need quite a few years of maturing before this changes, and like many pioneers, most current cryptos will be found dead with arrows in their backs. That said, I'd feel confident that both blockchain and crypto will initially survive and subsequently flourish.

• Advertisement

...to my understanding the mining process as it stands slightly devalues all bitcoins in existence to fund transactions (by creating new coins out of nothing and using them to remunerate miners), whereas fully moving to a transaction fee system instead would transfer that currently shared cost* only to the people trading bitcoins (and while guaranteeing scarcity that increased trading cost for the 2 parties who are transacting would incentivise against making transactions hence reducing market liquidity).

I can see what you're thinking but your logic seems to be that Bitcoin will remain technologically static until the last Bitcoins are mined - if Bitcoin is around in 120 years (unlikely) it'll have an absurd valuation, scale properly and have a zillion side-chains and scaling mechanisms attached so that nobody would be thinking negatively about transaction fees.

Advertisement