Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing old Alarm system in house

• 30-01-2018 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My current alarm is about 12 years old.
    Model: Aritech

Looking at hanging our alarm system in the house as we have had lots of problems with sensors etc.

I was wondering if there was any alarm systems that you could recommend that would link into my smart home setup

Google Home
    Alexa
    Hue lights
    Harmony
    Blink cameras
    IFTTT setup
    Stringify setup

I obviously want to connect it up to the outside alarm bell so if the alrm goes off then it will audible alarm,

BUt I would also like to have it trigger my blink cameras or send a notification to me using an intergrate ay or using IFTTT or stringify.

Not sure any thing like this exists

Thanks,
    BobbyT28

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Attach pic of alarm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Not really in the UK/Ireland market yet.

There are some interesting alarm systems starting to appear in the US market with various integrations with HA tech, etc. Nest, Ring, Blink, Go Abode, iSmartalarm, ADT SmartThings, Scout, etc. However they are pretty new and probably a year or so until we see similar in Ireland.

The security system industry seems to be an understandably conservative and slow moving industry compared to others.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Having said that there are some interesting integration some folks here have done between a traditional alarm system called Cytech Comfort and Smart Things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

bk wrote: »
    Not really in the UK/Ireland market yet.

There are some interesting alarm systems starting to appear in the US market with various integrations with HA tech, etc. Nest, Ring, Blink, Go Abode, iSmartalarm, ADT SmartThings, Scout, etc. However they are pretty new and probably a year or so until we see similar in Ireland.

The security system industry seems to be an understandably conservative and slow moving industry compared to others.

Cheers, yeah can't seem to find anything this side of the pond. Will see how much it cost to get repaired. I'll revisit this thread in the next 6 months and see where were at.

Thanks again.
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

I have the HKC system and it has the IOS app to control your alarm (Arm, Disarm, Status) the alarm installer added a relay to to the heating system (can turn on heating from APP) yes this is before HIVE etc.... You can add other relays to trigger other things, gates, outdoor lights etc... but nothing too smart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

eusap wrote: »
    I have the HKC system and it has the IOS app to control your alarm (Arm, Disarm, Status) the alarm installer added a relay to to the heating system (can turn on heating from APP) yes this is before HIVE etc.... You can add other relays to trigger other things, gates, outdoor lights etc... but nothing too smart

Is the app basically an SMS app, where it sends preformatred sms texts to the hkc gsm module ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Is the app basically an SMS app, where it sends preformatred sms texts to the hkc gsm module ?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

I have the HKC app too

It sends a push notification & an audible warning when the alarm goes off
    It also sends an SMS

Not sure if it's possible with IFTTT to trigger anything based on the received SMS?

frash wrote: »
    I have the HKC app too

It sends a push notification & an audible warning when the alarm goes off
    It also sends an SMS

Not sure if it's possible with IFTTT to trigger anything based on the received SMS?

Yes, it looks like it might be possible if you use an Android phone:

https://ifttt.com/android_messages

Though I don't think I'd rely on it completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭fergalom

Look at Siemens SPC panels

• Advertisement

fergalom wrote: »
    Look at Siemens SPC panels

Can it integrate with SmartThings, etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I've come across this Kickstarter project. Looks interesting. Might meet some of your needs. Nice way of making an old-school alarm "smart": https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nateclark/konnected-alarm-panel-revive-your-wired-alarm-syst

The idea: rewire all the existing sensors into this new panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭fergalom

bk wrote:
    Can it integrate with SmartThings, etc.?

Smartthings - no idea but probably yes via mqtt. Others - vera, fibaro, control4, homey etc
    Also simple to integrate with HA, domoticz, openhab and the like.

fergalom wrote: »
    Smartthings - no idea but probably yes via mqtt. Others - vera, fibaro, control4, homey etc
    Also simple to integrate with HA, domoticz, openhab and the like.

Yes, a lot of interesting stuff here:
    http://www.lundix.se/smarta-losningar/

Looks like you can get it working with Home Assistant and thus I would assume SmartThings via a RaspberryPi bridge. Thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ozmo

I created a thread here on it here for anyone interested...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88215184

Its adds an arduino to Aritech and HKC panels -
    it should be possible to create an connection from the Arduino then to what-ever you need control...

302051.gif

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭randombar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

GaryCocs wrote: »

I've been looking into that too - definitely thinking about it but have a question on the installation and insurance.

Every insurance company asks if the alarm is installed by an NSAI/PSA registered installer. I'm guessing that if you do this yourself it might invalidate your insurance...

Still, with SmartThings integration I'd rather be aware that my alarm is going off as noisy alarms are generally considered more of a nuisance to neighbours than a deterrent to burglars these days. You can at least then check in with your cameras to see what's going on if you're away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭randombar

scorn wrote: »
    I've been looking into that too - definitely thinking about it but have a question on the installation and insurance.

Every insurance company asks if the alarm is installed by an NSAI/PSA registered installer. I'm guessing that if you do this yourself it might invalidate your insurance...

Still, with SmartThings integration I'd rather be aware that my alarm is going off as noisy alarms are generally considered more of a nuisance to neighbours than a deterrent to burglars these days. You can at least then check in with your cameras to see what's going on if you're away from home.

I'm reluctant to put the alarm on the house insurance, chances of forgetting to put it on are high in our house with the current set up.

scorn wrote: »

Even if you have a traditional alarm system installed and regularly maintained * by an NSAI/PSA registered installer. I still don't recommend you mention having an alarm system on your house insurance.

What if you forget to turn it on and you are broken into, you have now given the insurance company not to pay out. For the relatively small 10% discount they offer, just not worth it IMO.

Plus IME if you shop around, you'll get it just as cheap anyway without the discount.

* Important point, it needs to be maintained at least once a year to continue to be certified for insurance purposes. Something that many people don't realise.

Advertisement