Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embellishing a property online by saying its in area X when its actually in Y

Options
  • 30-01-2018 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Do you ever look at properties online and find yourself frustrated that houses listed as being in a certain area's are in fact nowhere near its described location.

Essentially what ends up happening, is databases of housing stocks on websites such as myhome and daft are polluted with inaccuracies. You look for a house in Navan and you can be sure 20% are in fact nearer kells. Or likewise, houses in Glasnevin transpire to be well within the confines of what is known as Finglas.

Not that I was contemplating buying this house but it's from an article in the independent during the week. The property is described throughout as being in Navan when in reality its at least a 20-minute drive on country roads. Location on google maps can be found here.

A simple solution would be for property websites to ask you for your properties Eircode. They then fill out the rest of your address based on this information rather than letting the estate agent/individual pick a location of their choice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Advertising standards authority are interested in type of thing, it is false and misleading advertising after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

One of the courier's in our company used to deliberately delay deliveries that had 'improvements' to their address.
    Then when he got a complaint at the door,he'd gleefully tell them that he was late because he was driving around Foxrock trying to find the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

About ten years ago I was frustrated by listings on daft.ie that had Galway city centre as their address when in fact the property would be in Dunmore!! That's a small country town on the way to Mayo!! drove me nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We see it in tallaght alot houses and apartments built in tallaght but addressed as firhouse and knocklyon despite being clearly inside the tallaght boundary

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

This thread again.

Almost every house in Kilbarrack magically appears in Raheny when it comes time to sell, similarly 98% of Blanchardstown is Castleknock.

The solution would be to look at the map that's on evcery property website tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Happens everywhere. It came up only last week about a new estate that's going in on the grounds of the Cuckoos Nest pub beside Kilnamanagh. They've addresses it as Greenhills, Dublin 24. Now Greenhills isn't a million miles away by any stretch (i.e. just up the road) but it is in fact in Dublin 12.

A better example that I've seen is a new estate beside where I used to live on the edge of London/Essex. There are two distinct areas, Chigwell and Hainault. Chigwell is fairly wealthy for the most part, Ray Houghton, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Alan Sugar and a few Spurs players all live there that I know of. Hainault. . . . . well Hainault has a tube station so that's good. Now this new estate is addressed as Chigwell. This estate is next door to Hainault Golf Club - lets say at the bottom right-hand corner of the square shaped area. Chigwell is beyond the complete far corner of that square, a good 2-3 miles as the crow flies. Poor feckers will be paying Chigwell prices too by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Saw this “address fluidity” a lot when I was in the market.

Always thought it funny how the perspective changed from buyer to seller when it came down to brass tacks. “Drumcondra if you’re selling, Whitehall if you’re buying”. I bought when the market was less frothy so doubt there is much scope for prospective purchasers debating the finer points of the locale these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There's also (outside of Dublin) the phenomenon where lots of villages have addresses of Village X, Town Y. It had to do with postal subdelivery offices or some such thing. I'm from a small town surrounded by villages. All the villages had the postal address of a large town at least 20 miles from them. Suspect that's what's going on with the Meath and Galway examples given above.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,818 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Look for an eircode. Base pricing off where it shows it is.

Also - generally anywhere with a cardinal direction after it isn't where it says it. Lucan South is various levels of Not Lucan, Glasnevin North is Ballymun and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DancingHomer

Ah yea, this little beaut of an estate agent is listing a house for sale in "Durrow, County Kilkenny".

http://www.daft.ie/kilkenny/houses-for-sale/kilkenny/no-10-carrigan-street-durrow-kilkenny-kilkenny-1636758/

Durrow is a popular village in Laois. Nearest village in Kilkenny is 7km away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

If you get anywhere with this please share where Crumlin, Kimmage & Drimnagh start and end.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that some of the property websites have a 'report' button.
    similarly 98% of Blanchardstown is Castleknock.
    Castleknock Civil Parish https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5469116#map=13/53.3873/-6.3546

Castleknock Barony https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5489016#map=12/53.3997/-6.3746

theteal wrote: »
    Happens everywhere. It came up only last week about a new estate that's going in on the grounds of the Cuckoos Nest pub beside Kilnamanagh. They've addresses it as Greenhills, Dublin 24. Now Greenhills isn't a million miles away by any stretch (i.e. just up the road) but it is in fact in Dublin 12.
    While not Greenhills, it is Greenhills Road, but very much D24. Check https://finder.eircode.ie/#/

GREENHILLS ROAD
    DUBLIN 24
    D24 E64V

If you get anywhere with this please share where Crumlin, Kimmage & Drimnagh start and end.
    If this links don't work properly, press the "Run" button. May not work on certain phones.

Things named Crumlin (certain exceptions) http://url.ie/124bd
    Things named Kimmage (certain exceptions) http://url.ie/124bf
    Things named Drimnagh (certain exceptions) http://url.ie/124be
    Things named Terenure (certain exceptions) http://url.ie/124bh

• Registered Users Posts: 33,951 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Victor wrote: »
    Note that some of the property websites have a 'report' button.
    Castleknock Civil Parish https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5469116#map=13/53.3873/-6.3546

Castleknock Barony https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5489016#map=12/53.3997/-6.3746

While not Greenhills, it is Greenhills Road, but very much D24. Check https://finder.eircode.ie/#/

GREENHILLS ROAD
    DUBLIN 24
    D24 E64V

You might have missed the article in the echo about how the developer tried to get it listed as Dublin 12. Not just green hills. Needless to say shot down by SDCC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I live very much in Blanchardstown...i can see the centre from my front door...but am in barony of Castleknock ...so i vote there.

My parents live miles nearer Castleknock yet their address is Clonsilla and they vote in Blanchardstown.

I worked in An Post on a case that went all the way to the supreme court as to how could establish addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Milestone Thurles Co Tipperary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

It was rife where I am from. Celbridge and leixlip are 100% Kildare towns but saw lots of ads in the boom years ago calling them county Dublin.

Just down the road Dublin 15 is guilty of this too. Clonee has been called D15 but is Meath. All kinds of areas advertising as castleknock too but they are less desirable areas in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Milestone Thurles Co Tipperary
    Nevertheless, Thurles is the post town for Milestone (i.e. postal deliveries come through the Thurles sorting office) so all postal addresses in the area are of the form "Milestone, Thurles, Co. Tipp". "Milestone, Co. Tipp" will get there eventually, but it may be delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Caranica wrote: »
    There's also (outside of Dublin) the phenomenon where lots of villages have addresses of Village X, Town Y. It had to do with postal subdelivery offices or some such thing. I'm from a small town surrounded by villages. All the villages had the postal address of a large town at least 20 miles from them. Suspect that's what's going on with the Meath and Galway examples given above.

My Eircode gives an address in a town 17 miles away in another county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭PDVerse

Do you ever look at properties online and find yourself frustrated that houses listed as being in a certain area's are in fact nowhere near its described location.

Essentially what ends up happening, is databases of housing stocks on websites such as myhome and daft are polluted with inaccuracies. You look for a house in Navan and you can be sure 20% are in fact nearer kells. Or likewise, houses in Glasnevin transpire to be well within the confines of what is known as Finglas.

Not that I was contemplating buying this house but it's from an article in the independent during the week. The property is described throughout as being in Navan when in reality its at least a 20-minute drive on country roads. Location on google maps can be found here.

A simple solution would be for property websites to ask you for your properties Eircode. They then fill out the rest of your address based on this information rather than letting the estate agent/individual pick a location of their choice.

The Navan example given is a common misunderstanding of how addresses are constructed. A town name in an address may be included for either hierarchical or proximity reasons. I wrote a very boring blog on this subject that explains in detail how addresses are constructed. https://www.autoaddress.ie/blog/autoaddressblog/2017/02/09/irish-addressing-explained-postal-geographic-and-preferred-address

Eir codes are not accurate by the way, they based the addresses on postal addresses affixed by the developer to get higher prices.

Only way to stop this is to force the developer to go by the maps back even 50 years.

Planning permission should be denied on grounds of incorrect townland/place name

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Maplewood have done this twice recently with two of their new developments, one was marketed as "Dodderbrook, Ballycullen" and the other is called "Ballycullen Green", despite the fact that both of them are on the Oldcourt Road, the entirety of which falls outside the Ballycullen boundary. The logic presumably being that if you put x area in the estate name, people will think the estate is in X area (and, accordingly, pay more).

I honestly don't know how it's allowed. Remember the furore a few years ago when Wyckham Point was advertised and promoted as "Dundrum Point" (it was even called that on the site hoardings) and it was only when people made a serious enquiry about purchasing that they were told "Oh by the way, it's not actually going to be called Dundrum Point"??? Yet the developers are not only still at it, but actually being allowed to keep the misleading name.

Just down the road Dublin 15 is guilty of this too. Clonee has been called D15 but is Meath.
    Clonee is D15, just not Dublin.

https://finder.eircode.ie/#/result
    AN POST
    CLONEE POST OFFICE
    MAIN STREET
    CLONEE
    CO. MEATH
    D15 N62W

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clay Farm... "Leopardstown".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Maplewood have done this twice recently with two of their new developments, one was marketed as "Dodderbrook, Ballycullen" and the other is called "Ballycullen Green", despite the fact that both of them are on the Oldcourt Road, the entirety of which falls outside the Ballycullen boundary.

There are no official boundaries in Ireland. There are civil parishes (which are not postal addresses), there are counties (which may or may not be postal addresses depending on where the nearest sorting office is) and there are postal addresses (which may not be where people actually live). You can say your house is anywhere you like. An Post can say a house is anywhere they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The amount of properties in clondalkin marked Lucan/palmerstown is unreal. Similar for tallaght becoming firhouse/knocklyon.

I don't get it, only seems to be in bad areas. if people went to see the house its going to be very clear where it is after driving past a burned out car or a convoy of tracksuit clad buggy pushers on the way down the social office.

Its the property equivalent of girls only showing their face in tinder pictures, we know you're fat luv, hiding naaathin.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

The amount of properties in clondalkin marked Lucan/palmerstown is unreal. Similar for tallaght becoming firhouse/knocklyon.

I don't get it, only seems to be in bad areas. if people went to see the house its going to be very clear where it is after driving past a burned out car or a convoy of tracksuit clad buggy pushers on the way down the social office.

Its the property equivalent of girls only showing their face in tinder pictures, we know you're fat luv, hiding naaathin.

Tinder = Catfish

Daft = Flatfish

Advertisement