Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann - seriously poor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Would it be worth a mass demonstration gathering in front of the bus station? I know about 200 cyclists gathered in front of city hall a week ago. This was broadcast on a few news outlets.
    It would definitely be worth keeping this in the public eye in the hope that improvements would come.

I'd be on for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

The 'sunk costs' logic doesn't stack up -- just because someone has invested €€€€ in a car doesn't mean that it makes financial sense to use it at every possible opportunity. There are fixed costs (tax, insurance, depreciation etc.) that you are paying every minute of every day, but there are also additional costs that you incur every time you use the car (fuel, wear and tear, parking).

Even if you own a car, it is cheaper to use a bus to go into the city for a few hours than it is to drive and park. But sometimes the convenience of the car justifies using it, despite the extra cost. Where I live, it is often faster for me to get the bus than it is to drive through traffic and look for parking.

But I agree, the bus service is generally very poor and people would use it more if it was improved.

My car costs 5 euro a day, I see no reason whatsoever to use a bus. Instead of paying for Leap card or the overpriced fare it's better to buy a litre of petrol and just drive the car to town. Parking is not an issue, how many traffic wardens are in cork? 3-4? Last time I bought a parking disc was probably in 2014...

If someone lives in Douglas or Mayfield, Blackrock then the bus is a necessity, but if somebody lives within 3km (which is a lot of people.. Ballyphehane, Blackpool etc) from city centre then you really don't need a bus. I even live on a hill near Montenotte and I still walk. Buses are complete waste of time.

Do you work for Bus Eireann. Your negative attitude would fit right in there.

No I don't. I just HATE stupidity and incompetence. Believe me, if I could I wouldn't move to another country, but I would move to another planet. Why is so many people on this planet so stupid? Why aren't they locked up away from everyone? They serve no purpose in any society so what's the point of keeping them living among us? Criminals are being locked up for stealing and killing etc so why not stupid and useless people?

Waiting for 45 minutes in the storm for a bus... awww yeah buses rule! how much is that leap card I'm buying one right now lol ...

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Torrential-rain-causes-havoc-for-bus-users-across-the-city-980e7818-2cb2-4258-b3d1-7efa9a7faf34-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Diabhalta wrote: »
    No I don't. I just HATE stupidity and incompetence. Believe me, if I could I wouldn't move to another country, but I would move to another planet. Why is so many people on this planet so stupid? Why aren't they locked up away from everyone? They serve no purpose in any society so what's the point of keeping them living among us? Criminals are being locked up for stealing and killing etc so why not stupid and useless people?

settle down, Adolf.

• Advertisement

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    settle down, Adolf.

That's not what I have on my mind. But this world could be a much better place if you think about it for a while. 2019 and we're nowhere. Not just in Ireland but everything out there is kind of backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If someone lives in Douglas or Mayfield, Blackrock then the bus is a necessity, but if somebody lives within 3km (which is a lot of people.. Ballyphehane, Blackpool etc) from city centre then you really don't need a bus. I even live on a hill near Montenotte and I still walk. Buses are complete waste of time.

People who live within easy walking distance of the city centre don't get the bus to the city centre?! Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Waiting for 45 minutes in the storm for a bus... awww yeah buses rule! how much is that leap card I'm buying one right now lol ...

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Torrential-rain-causes-havoc-for-bus-users-across-the-city-980e7818-2cb2-4258-b3d1-7efa9a7faf34-ds

So you think it's funny that the city is gridlocked! That's so nice of you!
    Take a step back from your ranting and raving and ask yourself why. People are too relient on their cars plus the lack of bus lanes and bus priorty measures are clogging up the city. If improvements are not made to Public transport the city will grind to a halt as the population grows.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Try crowd funding.
    I'm sure lots of people would contribute to send you one way into space!

saw this on facebook.

Lock them up, away from everyone.

60248414_10210626278291801_6558392134456573952_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=bce9196e2de99e37b879432e441976fe&oe=5D9D51CB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

saw this on facebook.

Lock them up, away from everyone.

60248414_10210626278291801_6558392134456573952_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=bce9196e2de99e37b879432e441976fe&oe=5D9D51CB

Thats Douglas village, designed remotely by a fella from Sneem I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

....that photo clearly highlights the need for dedicated bus lanes. Public transport should not have to compete with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The traffic design in Douglas is a complete shiiitshow. People using that photo as a stick to beat Bus Eireann with are completely missing the point. It highlights the need for dedicated public transport infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The traffic design in Douglas is a complete shiiitshow. People using that photo as a stick to beat Bus Eireann with are completely missing the point. It highlights the need for dedicated public transport infrastructure.

Douglas village is a pure demonstartion of the incompetence of Cork County Council and how they gave planning permission to literally thousands of houses over the last 30 years in Grange, Donnybrook, Rochestown, Maryborough etc.
    With absolute disregard for the infastructure which all of these houses require.
    Now the City Council will be taking over this area and I hope with their experience of urban traffic management that they may be able to sort out this mess that their colleagues created.
    Little wonder really considering The County Councils greatest ability is in the maintenance of country borreens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

kub wrote: »
    Little wonder really considering The County Councils greatest ability is in the maintenance of country borreens.
    You really are pathetic on this subject, aren't you.

You really are pathetic on this subject, aren't you.

I am afraid the maintenance of any sort of road, is not my own forte at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Douglas village is a pure demonstartion of the incompetence of Cork County Council and how they gave planning permission to literally thousands of houses over the last 30 years in Grange, Donnybrook, Rochestown, Maryborough etc.
    With absolute disregard for the infastructure which all of these houses require.
    Now the City Council will be taking over this area and I hope with their experience of urban traffic management that they may be able to sort out this mess that their colleagues created.

Dude, you must have posted that 6 or 7 times in various threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

And it was correct each and every time.

Thank you for noticing, if Douglas traffic issues ever come up in conversation, I tend to tell it as it is and what the reason for it is.

RINO87 wrote: »
    ....that photo clearly highlights the need for dedicated bus lanes. Public transport should not have to compete with traffic.

Do you really think bus lanes will solve BÉ's incompetence? Like building bus lanes will make sure they will show up on time and will stop showing up two at once? Don't be naive.

There are many places in Europe without bus lanes (or minimum of them) and it works perfectly fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Do you really think bus lanes will solve BÉ's incompetence? Like building bus lanes will make sure they will show up on time and will stop showing up two at once? Don't be naive.

There are many places in Europe without bus lanes (or minimum of them) and it works perfectly fine.

In Dublin there are significant complaints about Go Ahead with similar issues to DB: two buses at once arriving, buses late etc. So not an operator issue it seems at all but an infrastructure issue.

On the second point can you show us all these places in Europe that don't have bus lanes but it all works "fine". By fine do you mean buses somehow don't get stuck in traffic?

Thank you for noticing, if Douglas traffic issues ever come up in conversation, I tend to tell it as it is and what the reason for it is.

No bother, but Its getting dated.

I for one cant wait for this utopian city that awaits according to your laboured points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I for one cant wait for this utopian city that awaits according to your laboured points.
    My brother in law spent 25mins on South Mall last week, eventually gave up trying to get onto Parnell Place, just headed out towards City Hall direction instead; fantastic urban traffic management.
    Thousands of houses in Grange, Donnybrook, Rochestown, Maryborough; because the City Council have done so little to provide housing within the City. And with increased Office space in the city in recent years, and more to come; where's the housing for these people?
    But when someone just spews out the same garbage over and over again, like a repetitive Brexiteer "taking back control", they just remain blinded to the obvious.
    City Halls management of the Event Center is proof enough that developers can make muggins out of them.

My brother in law spent 25mins on South Mall last week, eventually gave up trying to get onto Parnell Place, just headed out towards City Hall direction instead; fantastic urban traffic management.
    Thousands of houses in Grange, Donnybrook, Rochestown, Maryborough; because the City Council have done so little to provide housing within the City. And with increased Office space in the city in recent years, and more to come; where's the housing for these people?
    But when someone just spews out the same garbage over and over again, like a repetitive Brexiteer "taking back control", they just remain blinded to the obvious.
    City Halls management of the Event Center is proof enough that developers can make muggins out of them.

But wait... theres a docklands development plan...

Right could you please tell us all whereabouts within the confines of the city boundaries there was space for such developments ??????

There is only 1 site that comes to my mind and that is Deerpark which was built in the early 90's.

Are you aware that Cork City Council objected to the O'Flynn Housing development currently being undertaken in Glanmire around 18 months ago?

They cited a thing called necessary infastucture in their objection.

Cork County Council had no issues at all with the site ?

Now why was that?

Sorry but if you have no issues with Cork County Councils ways in granting planning permission for housing estates willy nilly without sorting out the very necessary roads for same, then you need to get out and about to the suburbs and villages within communting distance of Cork City during rush hours to see for yourself.

Carrigaline....a joke.
    Glanmire......another joke.
    Douglas......well and truly beyond a joke

If it swims like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a duck.

I doubt Cork County Council even have Urban Road Planners amongst their staff......why would they even need them anymore because its the lads in The City Hall that will soon be picking up the issues the County Council lads caused.

Anyway as I said, they are best off concentrating on filling in pot holes on country borreens.

I never said Cork City Council were perfect, did I ?

All i said was they have years upon years of actual experience in dealing with Urban Traffic issues, not Rural ones.

So your brother in law encountered a traffic jam in the City Centre, where did I say that there were no such things in the City Centre ?
    So he took another route after 25 mins, usually when I am in traffic like that I take alternative routes after about 10 mins.
    Just seems like a very long time.
    ' Fantastic ' Urban Traffic Management ? Where did I say that please?

All I said was Cork City Council have actual experience in dealing with Urban Traffic Issues, the County obviously do not.
    For example, does it take at least 25 mins mostly to get from the South Mall to Parnell Place?

Is there always a queue there like there is by The Cinema in Douglas heading towards Douglas Road?

No there is not, I know, I travel around this City/ County constantly any day and at any time.

Again I am curious please as to where within the confines of the City's jurisdiction that there are adquate land banks and availability for housing estates?

Your wording also confuses me as, usually when Local authroities go about ' providing housing ', then this suggests the provision of social housing which is a different subject altogether.
    Those area's which you mentioned above have a very low percentage of such housing anyway so again, perhaps that belongs in another thread.

It is private developers who develope housing estates, not local authorities, they just facilitate them by granting that subject matter of planning permission and providing the necessary infastructure, which as some of us with a grasp on reality have noticed, is some how lacking in different Council areas.

Did Cork City Council develop those office buildings that you mentioned ?
    No again, it was private developers.

I am afraid I do not have the answer to your question with regard to where these office workers are going to live, I am lost as to where you could find the specifics of your query there.

Are you in some way suggesting that Cork City Council should have not allowed these office developments, due to the query you raised ?

So you are comparing me with the typical repetitive Brexiteer, that is very interesting, as I have yet to encounter one who can actually debate any points that have arisen, I feel I have done this.
    There is nothing being spewed out by the way.

And we are now onto The Events Centre, you have covered all the hot topics, haven't you?

Do you think that the lads in the Roads section of Cork City Council are in anyway discussing the design, layout, funds, loans, finance or anythings else associated with the stage that the Events Centre is currently at with Bam ?

Again just to inform you, the subject matter here was the ongoing traffic issues in Douglas village which have been ongoing for the best part of 30 years now.
    So Bam, Social Housing, Brexit and whatever other subjects you brought up all have their own threads here on boards.ie

So just to be clear here, you lads feel that Cork County Council so have absolutely nothing at all to do with the traffic issues in Douglas, is that so?

We all know Utopia does not exist, all that is needed is proper planning with due regard to the implications of the traffic levels that housing developments create and to provide the actual infastructure in tandem with the development.

If you feel that my posts are upsetting you in anyway whatsoever or you find them boring as you find them dated, there is always the ignore function here on thread.
    Work away, I am not the least bit bothered.

So just to be clear here, you lads feel that Cork County Council so have absolutely nothing at all to do with the traffic issues in Douglas, is that so?

We all know Utopia does not exist, all that is needed is proper planning with due regard to the implications of the traffic levels that housing developments create and to provide the actual infastructure in tandem with the development.

If you feel that my posts are upsetting you in anyway whatsoever or you find them boring as you find them dated, there is always the ignore function here on thread.
    Work away, I am not the least bit bothered.

No, its a clusterfcuk of biblical proportions, a result of years of poor development/planning/coordination.

But its the harping on about the county only being fit for "boreens", while the city is some paragon of planning is a bit wearing, considering the traffic issues some of us are experiencing outside Douglas.

Ive no one on ignore, too much gold in this place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

So about those buses eh??

Naive? Hardly. One of the reasons you are seeing two buses on the same route there so close together is because their frequency has been increased to something like every 15 minutes. Seeing as they have to compete with traffic, they are of course going to catch up with each other at some point, especially on a route as long as this....

I don't know about the other cities that you mention in your point but I would guess that they have some sort of traffic management plan in place. Any examples?

I hope I don't come across as having a go, I'm not, you have contributed a lot to many forums on here about the state of corks roads/infrastructure ( I read a lot, post very little), the points have been made, lets now look at how things can be made better.

No, its a clusterfcuk of biblical proportions, a result of years of poor development/planning/coordination.

But its the harping on about the county only being fit for "boreens", while the city is some paragon of planning is a bit wearing, considering the traffic issues some of us are experiencing outside Douglas.

Ive no one on ignore, too much gold in this place!

I am perfectly aware of all of the other areas around the County and indeed City where there are traffic issues, the reason Douglas came up was because of a photograph in this thread.

Again I am not suggesting that the City Council are the paragon of anything, but what said an awful to me was when they cited infastructural reasons as to their objection to the O'Flynn development in Glanmire, while their colleagues in The County had no objections and basically they were true to form.

A new thread started on this forum last night about some works going on outside a housing estate in Donnybrook, built in the early 90's
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057983082

Another fine example of the experts in The County Hall.

Anyway I am done, all I can say is, I for one am glad that the local authority taking over from the one incapable of managing traffic, has at least some experience in dealing with Urban traffic issues.

It is as simple as that, they cannot surely make it any worse.

• Advertisement

Fcuk it, you've me convinced

I just cant wait for this traffic free flowing utopia once the County Council fcuk off out beyond Ovens to the cows and pigs and yokels.

Advertisement