Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann - seriously poor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Fcuk it, you've me convinced

I just cant wait for this traffic free flowing utopia once the County Council fcuk off out beyond Ovens to the cows and pigs and yokels.

I’m not sure why there’s a debate between you two.

The county council clearly misdeveloped the green belt while the city council failed to encourage sustainable development in brown belt sites.

The old city population was falling until quite recently.

City council control of the former green belt is a good thing. Putting the breaks on suburban sprawl is a good thing if the council can achieve it.

CMATS is necessary to start correcting the mistakes of the past. Cork city will have one plan, not two and that’s a good thing.

Carrigaline and carrigtwohill, monard are the councils future sprawls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

So, I'm currently on the 220 bus. Got on at South Mall at 12.28, was one of the last people on so it had been there I'd say 5-10 minutes, it just took off from there at 12.42.

Anybody want to take a look at the timetable and have a guess at which fcuking bus I'm supposed to be on?

Another full one sailed past the South Mall while we were sat there.

Must have been that rush hour traffic...

I get this night bus a lot and it has close to no relationship to the timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

It's Bus Eireann.

They don't care because no-one in government / the NTA actually enforces policies or procedures.

They do what they want, unfortunately.

Day two. 220 scheduled for 12.55 according to the digital display (but not the online timetable) didn't appear until 1.10.

On the night of the Munster final, and a big gig, and even aside from that just a Saturday night in June, the only late night route in the city which runs double deckers pretty much all day...single deck bus. Was >75% full by the time it got to South Mall, where people have been waiting since at least 12.45 when I got here.

Driver to be fair didn't leave anyone stranded, but I strongly suspect there are more people on this bus than there should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

The new 220 route is a complete game changer. It's like we live in a different country.

However, I was wondering how long it would be before the drivers started getting pissed off with the timetable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

As a matter of interest, Anyone ever get the 216 and get the 'Lewis Hamilton' driver as my wife calls him?
    Lunatic, south mall to Douglas in about 5 mins at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Update from the NTA today. Starting in August the 216 will travel from CUH to Monkstown via Mount Oval, Rochestown, Passage.
    In 2020 there will be a new service, the 224, linking Passage to Carrigaline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Was on the 208 from town this morning driver was a complete joke. Never opened his mouth to anyone even more so than other drivers when thanked by passengers i was sitting close to the front of the single Decker. Driving like a lunatic some serious use of the accelerator couple of broken red lights as well. One middle aged women getting on was literally catapulted forward the speed he took off from the stop she even made a noise herself so shocked at the jolt. People behind me were talking about him as well said he was one of the worse drivers they'd seen. Some fellow on a wheelchair on Patrick's Street was looking to get on i think the driver was out talking to him and the fellow left not sure what happened there. Guy behind me was saying it was a disgrace the way that person was treated not sure if he meant him. And i'm using the bus for a week because of commitments in town never on the thing otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    One middle aged women getting on was literally catapulted forward

Sounds like a fairly epic bus TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Sounds like a fairly epic bus TBH.

To be fair, those single deck Scania's they have can move alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

kub wrote: »
    To be fair, those single deck Scania's they have can move alright

Scania Omnilink, known internally as the SL class, great powertrain but my god the body work is crap.

All 2009 registered SL 1-25

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    Update from the NTA today. Starting in August the 216 will travel from CUH to Monkstown via Mount Oval, Rochestown, Passage.
    In 2020 there will be a new service, the 224, linking Passage to Carrigaline.

You wouldnt happen to have a link for this ? Can't find anything online.
    Thanks,
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Heard there'll be a new 225 linking Cork Airport and Ringaskiddy via Carrigaline also due to commence sometime in 2020.

19.20 223 from South Mall didn't bother showing up at all tonight.

Loads of passengers waited until well after 8pm for it to show up, before taking a taxi. The terrible weather didn't help this situation.

The service is only running once every two hours in the evenings (pathetic) so the next bus wasn't until 21.20.

An absolute farce, to say the least.

220 207 216 and 223 were all sh1tshows this evening.

Eventually gave up when there a 220.had been bouncing between 5 and 7 minutes for ages, 207 (showing I think 30 minutes when I left south mall) passed me at St Finbars, 220 passed me when I was at Ardfallen, a good 25 minutes after it was apparently departing town in seven.

I'm young and fit and always have good rain gear, it is frustrating to be constantly making the call it's quicker to walk to my home 3km away even though it's served by 4 different buses but god almighty if I had kids or was disabled or elderly it'd be horrendously stressful relying on it.

220 207 216 and 223 were all sh1tshows this evening.

Eventually gave up when there a 220.had been bouncing between 5 and 7 minutes for ages, 207 (showing I think 30 minutes when I left south mall) passed me at St Finbars, 220 passed me when I was at Ardfallen, a good 25 minutes after it was apparently departing town in seven.

I'm young and fit and always have good rain gear, it is frustrating to be constantly making the call it's quicker to walk to my home 3km away even though it's served by 4 different buses but god almighty if I had kids or was disabled or elderly it'd be horrendously stressful relying on it.

Took the 220 about 40 mins to get from victoria cross to get to town tonight. traffic mental on western road due to crash in the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

While the 220 is a serious improvement and a game changer really by going through the night, I feel it is picking up old habits now after a good start.

Lots more no shows and the timetable means very little to the drivers.

mike_cork wrote: »
    Took the 220 about 40 mins to get from victoria cross to get to town tonight. traffic mental on western road due to crash in the tunnel.

Fair enough for tonight, but it's consistently unreliable, and I often get it home from work at 12.30/1am.

And there could be some kind of notification of that at the stops in town so people have some rough idea of their wait.

The traffic the traffic the traffic is bus Eireann's constant, only reply to everything and it's only a small part of the problem. Timetabling is nonsensical, communication nonexistent. "Just stand there for an hour and some bus or other will turn up" is not good enough.

There was a crash at the tunnel this evening. The N40, South link and most of the city centre were at a standstill for the guts of 2 hours. How that's the fault of bus eireann is beyond me. The buses have to sit in the same traffic as every other vehicle. Took me 1 and a half hours to travel 11km home this evening. It was total chaos.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There was a crash at the tunnel this evening. The N40, South link and most of the city centre were at a standstill for the guts of 2 hours. How that's the fault of bus eireann is beyond me. The buses have to sit in the same traffic as every other vehicle. Took me 1 and a half hours to travel 11km home this evening. It was total chaos.
    Weirdly enough once I got past the Tyndall building (I was on a 220) traffic was actually pretty clear coming into the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

of course, the traffic isn't their fault. i don't think anyone is suggesting that to be fair.
    not providing communication to passengers as to the reasons for delays or no shows most certainly is their fault however, and they do have plenty of facilities to provide such. i'm sure information on twitter would be something at least.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

of course, the traffic isn't their fault. i don't think anyone is suggesting that to be fair.
    not providing communication to passengers as to the reasons for delays or no shows most certainly is their fault however, and they do have plenty of facilities to provide such. i'm sure information on twitter would be something at least.

They had messages on Twitter yesterday evening about delays and late running of buses in Cork due to the very heavy traffic and accident on the N40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

8:15 & 8:45 203 was a no show last evening. Got on the 9:15 at a designated bus stop two people got out , but was told twice that I must be 'special' by an irate driver as everyone else was at the inbound stop. About as professional as a drunk monkey.
    Back to the car for me I think.

They had messages on Twitter yesterday evening about delays and late running of buses in Cork due to the very heavy traffic and accident on the N40.

Only when asked did they mention this. No general tweet or info was put up.

Only when asked did they mention this. No general tweet or info was put up.

I'm guessing if they didn't interact with people there'd be complaining too. It wouldn't have been hard to figure out that serious traffic causes disruption to bus services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Heard there'll be a new 225 linking Cork Airport and Ringaskiddy via Carrigaline also due to commence sometime in 2020.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Bus-Eireann-announce-new-airport-route--5579c9c3-145b-4d12-9efe-c47441759e88-ds

November 3rd.

I'm guessing if they didn't interact with people there'd be complaining too. It wouldn't have been hard to figure out that serious traffic causes disruption to bus services.

The average person waiting for a bus, whether it be after work or college, may not have known. If such a serious amount of traffic was causing disruptions to the majority of city routes for a number of hours, one would reasonably expect them to update the Realtime displays and post it on social media/website... It's customer service 123.

See this is the attitude. Ignore all other issues except traffic, blame everything on that, make out like people are complaining for the craic.

Do you actually work for them or just emulate the famous charm of the more stereotypical drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Don't the NTA run the displays? Not much BE can do without their cooperation.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Don't the NTA run the displays? Not much BE can do without their cooperation.

This seems to be a source of a lot of problems, afaik it's the NTA which set the timetables too which makes sense as they do seem to be designed by someone whose only experience of the city is on paper.

Advertisement