Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What fees are due when selling a property?

Options
  • 30-01-2018 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

What fees are due when selling a property?

I mean to Revenue, after the legal and estate agent fees?

Is any money gained from the original cost treated as capital gains tax?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

CGT is not payable on your principal private residence and only on the profit (if any) otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭98-00

So if I sell my home, where I have being living, I don't owe anything to the state. But if I sell a second property I own, I owe CGT at 33% on anything above the initial investment, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

98-00 wrote: »
    So if I sell my home, where I have being living, I don't owe anything to the state. But if I sell a second property I own, I owe CGT at 33% on anything above the initial investment, correct?

Correct, unless it was bought during the CGT exemption period and sell it when that matures (soon), which ended about 4 years ago. Buggered if I can remember the exact dates but you can google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

98-00 wrote: »
    . . . Anything over (the initial investment + any subsequent investment, e.g. if you built an extension, bought a bit more land to add to the garden, whatever + costs and expenses of the acquisition and the disposal).

Advertisement