Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon - 22nd April 2018

• 30-01-2018 11:17pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.connemarathon.com/

Signed up for the full before Christmas, it'll be my first Conn. Website indicates ultra is almost sold out.

I glanced at last year's thread a while ago and know not to expect a PB. Gloves might also prove handy.

Just saw this comment on FB, so it'll do as inspiration. :)
    Anyone thinking of doing this, do it, do it! It is not easy, I cried three times, I moaned more times than I can remember, but it is an amazing achievement and well worth the effort!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Signed up for the full before Christmas, it'll be my first Conn. Website indicates ultra is almost sold out.

I glanced at last year's thread a while ago and know not to expect a PB. Gloves might also prove handy.

Saw that comment myself. Brought back memories... Will go back again some day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck B. I can't go this time, as it's slap bang in the middle of my exams. Next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

whilst the hills at halfway and at the end are well flagged, dont underestimate the rolling ground between them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I signed up for this a couple of years ago and deferred last year because of injury. This year i have no excuse so far...have looked at the "hell of the west" on streetview in Google and it looks like a tough place to be on a windy day (or any other day) for sure! Looking forward to it, slightly intimidated by it, but one for the bucket list. Will be my first full as I missed the DCM though injury (car, not self inflicted this time), story of my life.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Number arrived in the post. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Looking at the pacer situation, they have 3:30, 4:00 and 4:30. From DCM, I'd fall in between 4:00 and 4:30, however, mindful of the nature of the Conn as discussed above. Could just go out with the 4:30s and and run it for enjoyment, rather than a time. Or, head out with the 4 hour and drop back fairly sharp ish, proceed at my own pace. Still a few weeks away yet!

Btw, for afterwards...
    Yes, competitors will be transferred by bus from Maam Cross (finish area) to Oughterard, Clifden and Galway City throughout the afternoon after the race.

Please see www.connemarathon.com/getting-to-the-start/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Looking at the pacer situation, they have 3:30, 4:00 and 4:30. From DCM, I'd fall in between 4:00 and 4:30, however, mindful of the nature of the Conn as discussed above. Could just go out with the 4:30s and and run it for enjoyment, rather than a time. Or, head out with the 4 hour and drop back fairly sharp ish, proceed at my own pace. Still a few weeks away yet!

Btw, for afterwards...

The Connemara hills can easily add 10 minutes to your time, obviously depending on how well you can cope with hills. My usual advice for Conn is to forget about time and enjoy the race instead. That doesn't mean you jog along at snails pace, but don't focus too much on time.

Best of luck B. I can't go this time, as it's slap bang in the middle of my exams. Next year!

You will be sending me exam answers telepathically, I presume?
    The Connemara hills can easily add 10 minutes to your time, obviously depending on how well you can cope with hills. My usual advice for Conn is to forget about time and enjoy the race instead. That doesn't mean you jog along at snails pace, but don't focus too much on time.

Yeah, the location and atmosphere are what it's about, really. Any particularly scenic parts I should look out for? :p Looking forward to seeing how folks from outside of Ireland make of it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Yeah, the location and atmosphere are what it's about, really. Any particularly scenic parts I should look out for? :p Looking forward to seeing how folks from outside of Ireland make of it too.

For the marathon I can't think of a single mile that's not incredibly scenic. The problem tends to be that towards the end you're in too much pain to really enjoy the scenery. You'll know what I mean when you hit the Hell of the West :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I ran a section of the course on Saturday, Leenane to Joe Keanes at Maam ..... I'd forgotten just how magical it is out there. I'd also forgotten just how long those hills go on for and I stopped before the Hell of the West ;)

• Advertisement

Neady83 wrote: »
    I ran a section of the course on Saturday, Leenane to Joe Keanes at Maam ..... I'd forgotten just how magical it is out there. I'd also forgotten just how long those hills go on for and I stopped before the Hell of the West ;)

:P

:P

ha ha it is yea, it's a hill all the way. Crikey, the only people I was picking off last year were the half marathon walkers. There's no denying it, it's brutal at that stage of the race but there's plenty of sheep to talk to :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

ha ha it is yea, it's a hill all the way. Crikey, the only people I was picking off last year were the half marathon walkers. There's no denying it, it's brutal at that stage of the race but there's plenty of sheep to talk to :):)

But you might not be able to talk as you may be trying to keep upright and not be blown across the road by the gales :D:D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    But you might not be able to talk as you may be trying to keep upright and not be blown across the road by the gales :D:D

or you could be enjoying a free dermabrasion facial a la Connemara :D

There's no denying it, it's brutal at that stage of the race but there's plenty of sheep to talk to :):)

They'll probably too busying posting on sheep.forums.ie to be bothered talking to us mere humans. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Neady83 wrote:
    I ran a section of the course on Saturday, Leenane to Joe Keanes at Maam ..... I'd forgotten just how magical it is out there. I'd also forgotten just how long those hills go on for and I stopped before the Hell of the West

Ran that hill 3 times to date, soon to be 4.

What comes after the Hell of the West, btw? :pac:

I'm not sure what to do re breakfast, including what to eat. Buses from Galway leave at 8am. The B&B I'm staying in starts breakfast at 7:30am, seemingly you've to be at the buses 10-15 minutes before hand. It's about a 3k walk from the B&B to the car park where the buses are.

I'm not sure what to do re breakfast, including what to eat. Buses from Galway leave at 8am. The B&B I'm staying in starts breakfast at 7:30am, seemingly you've to be at the buses 10-15 minutes before hand. It's about a 3k walk from the B&B to the car park where the buses are.

The Hell of the West is the last climb and it's about one or two mile of a gentle downhill to the end. You'll see the roof of Peacocks hotel form the top of the Hell of the West, aim for it and let rip all the way home.

If you have a car, might be worth driving to Oughterard and getting the bus from there. Norb, his friends and I did that last year. We got the last bus from Oughterard to the start of the marathon and we pretty much got off, had time for a pee and off we went. very efficient and no waiting around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Actually I think that descent after the Hell of the West can be a struggle.

You've thought about the Hell of the West during your training, during the race and inevitably when you reach the top you think that you have made it, that your are over the worst.

Actually you are probably not. As you start to descend your breathing will improve no doubt, but your legs will remind themselves to you. Depending on the state of your legs after the climb the descent afterwards could be worse than the climb.

Then as the road levels off, you notice little dips in the road: it's not all descending, you have to go down and up these little dips too. And then the heavy breathing makes its unwelcome comeback...

If you are going for a time, remember this: your legs may well hurt like hell during the descent after the 'Hell of the West'. You need to be prepared mentally for this.

Enjoy, nonetheless...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

echancrure wrote: »
    Actually I think that descent after the Hell of the West can be a struggle.

You've thought about the Hell of the West during your training, during the race and inevitably when you reach the top you think that you have made it, that your are over the worst.

Actually you are probably not. As you start to descent your breathing will improve no doubt, but your legs will remind themselves to you. Depending on the state of your legs after: the climb the descent afterwards could be worse than the climb.

Then as the road levels off, you notice little dips in the road: it's not all descent, you have to go down and up these little dips too. And then the heavy breathing makes its comeback...

If you are going for a time, remember this: your legs may well hurt like hell during the descent after the 'Hell of the West'. You need to be prepared mentally for this.

Enjoy, nonetheless...

I actually remember this very well, from running the half two years ago. Of course it's a significant net downhill from HOTW to the finish, but those little hills really hurt. But then, marathons are usually going to hurt anyway....

• Advertisement

Time for a new t-shirt.

The internet told me this one will hurt. :pac:

Will keep an eye on who boots it after Peacocks hotel and the state they're in later.:eek:

Btw, some good discussions here too, of past experiences. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2031457253757340/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

My goal this year is just to finish the ultra as got stopped by one of the stewards around 28 miles last year when I had what's best described as a semi-fainting experience. To be fair although I was cheesed off at the time, it was the right thing to do.

Hopefully won't have any repeats of that sort of carry one this year!

Aiming for the Ultra too again this year (4:59 last year) with an improved time hopefully.
    Of course all this is weather permitting, last year was pretty ideal.

I am much better prepared this year and a little lighter which should help.
    How much of an improvement remains to be seen and I'll decide my race pace in the last week; I'd be disappointed if I don't go below 4:45...

I still have an heavy week this week in training (85m, but with 10 miles of fillers, and 2 not back to back 18m) with more focus on speed. After that it's down to 56m with loads of recovery runs mixed with speed work. Last week is 33m with one speed session and all recovery.

I can't wait; it has been a long training block since January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭imp1

I have an entry for the half - but can't make it, and it's too late to defer.
    Anyone looking for an entry - btw this is within the Connemarathon rules, but has to be done very soon, give me a shout.

Seems that there's a 19 strong team from the Netherlands coming over. Wonder if they just Googled 'mad races on the edge of Europe' and found this one. :pac:

Looking forward to the international make up, tbf.

Seems that there's a 19 strong team from the Netherlands coming over. Wonder if they just Googled 'mad races on the edge of Europe' and found this one. :pac:

Looking forward to the international make up, tbf.

Watch out for the French: usually tons of them, all in good spirit (at the start at least).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Not a runner but wondering could people give advice... So, going to support my sister who is running the half mara, we are staying in a place in Letterfrack and wondering where is the best place to go park up and as such walk towards the finish line. We are going with a baby so kinda thinking the bus is too much.. Is there any easy spot you could drive to and park up and walk don't mind like a few miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Milly33 wrote:
    Not a runner but wondering could people give advice... So, going to support my sister who is running the half mara, we are staying in a place in Letterfrack and wondering where is the best place to go park up and as such walk towards the finish line. We are going with a baby so kinda thinking the bus is too much.. Is there any easy spot you could drive to and park up and walk don't mind like a few miles

Head to Maam Cross. Peacocks hotel is the finish line.

Milly33 wrote: »

Very, very difficult if not impossible to park at the finish line.

If I were you I would get the organised bus at Oughterard, it's not too long of a journey. Ge t the bus back.

This is much better and less stressful than driving and having to park a mile away with baby in toe.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

thank you both for the replies I shall take a looksee at Maam Cross.. See we don't mind the walk really echancrue she is quite a carefree baby so will be happy out in the buggy, and sure a little bit of exercise would be good...

Advertisement