Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon - 22nd April 2018

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

How's everyone feeling?

Started to look at the weather yet? https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/ie/maam-cross/date/2018-04-22

Should we have a table?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Did actually take a peek at the long term forecast today :) Don't want to jinx it but dare I say it's looking ok at the moment will wait 'til later in the week before I start checking it every hour!

opus wrote: »
    Did actually take a peek at the long term forecast today :) Don't want to jinx it but dare I say it's looking ok at the moment will wait 'til later in the week before I start checking it every hour!

Well it depends, some forecasts are predicting 18 C by 2pm...

I can't remember when I last run in that 'heat'. If the clouds part it could be an issue for the slowest runners (because they'll finish later) or anybody going for a performance (because they will need to slow down or risk not finishing at all).

Weather forecasts have cooled down (9C to 11C?) but the wind has picked up. At least with running in Ireland we are all used to the wind!

Will definitely go for a pb (ultra in 4:59 last year) by how much remains to be decided. It will be a good chunk (I'd be disappointed if not better than 4:44) so I may go for an aggressive first third (I know I know, but I am usually good at hanging on and both my endurance and speed training have been good).

Trying to do carb loading properly for the first time this year.

I am still a little undecided regarding shoes choice unfortunately. I had the intention of using my relatively new Asics Noosa FF but they are not properly broken in and gave me two blisters 3 weeks ago on a relatively short run. Then I have my old Asics DS Racer that I used last year but they are really worn out and did not provide me with enough cushioning last year. Then the safe choice is my old Asics DS trainer, the safe choice, they are old too but reliable I guess. I am a bit lighter this year so that should help with the cushioning. Will probably go with my DS trainer but I'll give one last little spin to my Noosa this afternoon which provide better cushioning and are lighter (that's the attraction) but I have never ran more than 12 miles in them... so it is a big risk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was plagued with doubts when I ran after work yesterday. :o Bit more settled today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I'm hoping to be a Joe Keanes pub at Maam bridge (close to mile 22) from 12:30 so if there is anything you would like me to have for you, shout now.

Took part in a local 4m race yesterday evening but didn't kill myself obviously :) Will get in a sneaky parkrun on my way to Galway on Sat morning as well I think.

Best of luck to everyone on Sunday, would personally have liked the hotter day but will make do and hopefully reach the finish line this year.

Neady83 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to be a Joe Keanes pub at Maam bridge (close to mile 22) from 12:30 so if there is anything you would like me to have for you, shout now.

Thanks for I don't plan on stopping there !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Grand morning for a marathon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

So, how did everybody get on? ☺

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

martyboy48 wrote:
    So, how did everybody get on? ☺

4.30 Pacer, came in 4.29.26.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

3.30 pacer. Came in at 3.29.35

Good day at the office (not perfect by all means) by 4:40:2? for the ultra which is a 19 minutes improvement on last year.

Awaiting the official results (gosh they are slow at RedTag timing, the live updates did not work either as was promised).

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Had to deal with driving rain for the first 10k after the start for the marathon and then it settled down. The hardest road marathon I ever done, but the best one I absolutely loved it. Great camaraderie. Unbelievably managed a pb in the marathon

echancrure wrote:
    Good day at the office (not perfect by all means) by 4:40:2? for the ultra which is a 19 minutes improvement on last year.

4.40.2? Ultra in Conn what were you driving? Joking, that's incredible fair play.

echancrure wrote: »

Awaiting the official results (gosh they are slow at RedTag timing, the live updates did not work either as was promised).

That's an absolutely fantastic run, congratulations!

Results are on the RedTag site here.

My approach this year was to run by heart rate (as in keep it low) and it went fine. In fact with 18 miles left to go I knew I was going to finish. Had to stop myself cheering when I went past the aid stop just after mile 28 where it all went to pieces last year :)

The accent of the final hill was a good test with the wind as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    4.30 Pacer, came in 4.29.26.

Signed up at the last minute for the ultra. Finished in 4hrs35. Tried my best to catch the leader but my poor tired legs couldn't do it. Happy with the result considering the wind and rain!

Edit: oops replied to the wrong post.

4:31:38 for the full (it's race, not chip, right?). Pleased with that, no sense of disappointment. Training did what it was supposed to. Pacers were great, had no idea we have a fjord (Killary Harbour) in Ireland! Forgot to use vaseline on the nipples, so feeling that a little this last while. :p

One to do again.

Signed up at the last minute for the ultra. Finished in 4hrs35. Tried my best to catch the leader but my poor tired legs couldn't do it. Happy with the result considering the wind and rain!

Serious last third on your behalf considering those 2 hills and the wind notching it up on the final ascent. Saw your splits. Impressive congrats on the finish.

4:31:38 for the full (it's race, not chip, right?). Pleased with that, no sense of disappointment. Training did what it was supposed to. Pacers were great, had no idea we have a fjord (Killary Harbour) in Ireland! Forgot to use vaseline on the nipples, so feeling that a little this last while.

Happy to share some of my vast array of general (useless) knowledge. Well done on the run it was a tough day. Your chip time is your finish time. Not everyone can cross the start mat at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Serious last third on your behalf considering those 2 hills and the wind notching it up on the final ascent. Saw your splits. Impressive congrats on the finish.

Thanks. I would've like to have been able to match the pace from earlier in the race but the wind just killed me.

Thanks. I would've like to have been able to match the pace from earlier in the race but the wind just killed me.

Nearly got blown off the road on the Hell of the West a few times myself and I ain't a 7 stone weakling. Always next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Must say it was very well organised as people going to support. So glad we didn't get the buses fecking madness sure there was loads of parking

Short drone video here - Connemarathon 2018

I wore the Conn t-shirt for the first time at the Limerick marathon on Sun, it was lucky I've stayed away from the pies as it's a very small variety of medium size compared to the others I've got! Not just me as spoke to a few there who said the same thing.

April 14th 2019 is confirmed. :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

opus wrote: »
    I wore the Conn t-shirt for the first time at the Limerick marathon on Sun, it was lucky I've stayed away from the pies as it's a very small variety of medium size compared to the others I've got! Not just me as spoke to a few there who said the same thing.
    Yep the t-shirt sizing for Connemara marathon is a bit of a joke.. 
    Considering the amount they charge. 
    I know many people who requested the normal size they request for every race but found the Connemara version to be restrictive. 
    If they want people to wear the t-shirt in training or other races , to advertise their race, then they should make it wearable ...
    The price is a bit cheeky too. Ive done it a good few times, but Im re-considering for next year. 
    But if they promise to have decent sized t-shirts then count me in, Im cheap.

Advertisement