Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

fryup wrote: »
    how hot will it be in japan come sept?

However also be typhoon season in September

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Riskymove wrote: »
    However also be typhoon season in September

We had a day in Tokyo in September and the best way I can put it is that it absolutely pissed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Waterproof jacket has to be brought so. Thanks.

I see Ireland has the third most tickets purchased from the visiting nations. England well on top.
    https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/409350

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

finbarrk wrote: »
    I see Ireland has the third most tickets purchased from the visiting nations. England well on top.
    https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/409350

Not surprising - no doubt in part due to the huge amount of expats in that part of the world (Hong Kong, Singapore etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Are the actual tickets only issued in July?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Are the actual tickets only issued in July?

According to the email yes. Not sure what the story is with e-tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ticket sales from the priority and general sales phases, official travel and hospitality programmes and commercial sponsors currently total around 1.29 million, or just over 70 per cent of total ticket inventory.

So there are still a whopping 550,000 tickets unsold plus additional capacity that will likely be added.
    Tickets will be plentiful for most matches for any fans that need them.

According to the email yes. Not sure what the story is with e-tickets.

Cheers. Yeah getting an eticket myself. Just get assigned a category until then so dunno what row or seat yet. Guess they might be waiting til general sale is over but presume every ticket sold already corresponds with a specific seat already so not sure

• Advertisement

"With a sizeable portion of the remaining inventory due to be released for general sale on 18 May, there is still a chance to be part of Rugby World Cup in Japan. However, with demand for tickets likely to remain incredibly high and ticket availability expected to be tight across all tournament matches, fans are encouraged not to hesitate in purchasing tickets they find available during this next sales period."

Would love to pick up a few more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There's also going to be a resale of tickets for people with spares.

Which I'm presuming kicks in on May 31st 18th as well.

There's also going to be a resale of tickets for people with spares.

Which I'm presuming kicks in on May 18th as well.

31st I think

Would love to pick up some more neutral tickets.

Sangre wrote: »
    Not surprising - no doubt in part due to the huge amount of expats in that part of the world (Hong Kong, Singapore etc).

But wouldn't those purchases be registered to those countries then, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc., as that's where they were purchased from?

finbarrk wrote: »
    But wouldn't those purchases be registered to those countries then, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc., as that's where they were purchased from?

If I recall, when you set up your account you indicate which team you are supporting

• Advertisement

If I recall, when you set up your account you indicate which team you are supporting

Ah makes sense, thought they were just counting number of tickets sold for Ireland matches say and qf/semis we might be in

• Registered Users Posts: 24 stotheototheb

Hi folks, flights booked today and trying to map out a plan for 10 days in Japan. Anyone have a decent 10 day itinerary the'd like to share on the must do's and see's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭supasoumi99

Hi folks, flights booked today and trying to map out a plan for 10 days in Japan. Anyone have a decent 10 day itinerary the'd like to share on the must do's and see's :)

I am in the same boat - have flights booked and 2 weeks in Japan with no idea what to do apart from 3 weekends in Tokyo/Yokohama for matches! Any advice much appreciated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Whats your dates? We are 19th to the 30th of September.

Heres one from a friend of mine at work who has been to Japan before. We are trying to work some of the below into our plans.
    At the moment, we're just trying to get some Airbnb's sorted.
    "1) Definitely visit Kyoto AND Nara
    2) Visit Hiroshima (including Peace Museum) AND Miyajima Island
    3) Visit Kurashiki, if time allows
    4) Visit Gero Onsen, if time allows
    5) Buy Japan Rail Pass before entering Japan
    6) Buy/rent So-net SIM card on arrival to the airport if you want to have mobile data and your Irish package doesn't give it to you for Japan./WiFi hotspot, you rent in the airport and drop it back after. 100% needed. Google translate will be life
    7) Nagashima Spa Land is great for kids, but maybe only open in sunny season."
    8) Sake brewery in Kyoto
    9) Arashiyama walking tour Kyoto

One tip of mine and I have said this countless times in the travel forum is to download the Lonely Planet Guide App.

Essentially you download each city guide and it has best to eat, drink, stay, see etc in each city. You then bookmark these and it filters it all down to a map. That way you will see perhaps one of the best bars might be beside a sight or your accommodation etc. We used it in Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto and found it super helpful, time saving and easy to navigate. Found some great bars using it.

One other thing, I have known people to jump head first into buying the JR pass without actually pricing separate flights and trains. We visited Tokyo, Sapporo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and Hiroshima using cheap flights, trains and buses and worked out much cheaper than the pass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

For anyone wanting official merchandise, free worldwide delivery this weekend when you spend £20

https://shop.rugbyworldcup.com

Found in a thread on Trip Advisor on someone who asked about Fan Zones. Looking forward to see what comes up.

I wrote to the organisers with this exact question in October:

"Kanagawa Prefecture/Yokohama City has announced that their Fanzone will be held in Rinko Park.

As for the Fanzone in Tokyo, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government has not yet made an official announcement."

Rinko Park looks pretty sweet: https://goo.gl/maps/Z6e83qRRZho

Note the vast distance between Rinko Park and the Yokohama Stadium though. So I doubt there'll be a fan trail' of the kind seen between downtown Auckland and Eden Park in 2011...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Are they launching a new jersey for the world cup?

irishgeo wrote: »
    Are they launching a new jersey for the world cup?

Ireland?

There will be as jerseys have to be sponsor less. These are the best jerseys IMO for that very reason.

Ireland?

There will be as jerseys have to be sponsor less. These are the best jerseys IMO for that very reason.

great thanks, ill hold off. i see elverys have 25% off so they might be clearing stock.

great thanks, ill hold off. i see elverys have 25% off so they might be clearing stock.

Yep - that and end of season.

Ireland?

That's what always made it funny about the AB's jersey. They used to add stuff to it for the RWC.

Still wouldn't wear it mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That's what always made it funny about the AB's jersey. They used to add stuff to it for the RWC.

AB jerseys are a bit of an outlier, the jersey itself is the advertisement as Adidas are their main sponsor who already have their branding on the jersey, so don't need to plaster it across the chest like other countries have to.

Ireland?

But ya pay more for the privilege..!

AB jerseys are a bit of an outlier, the jersey itself is the advertisement as Adidas are their main sponsor who already have their branding on the jersey, so don't need to plaster it across the chest like other countries have to.

AIG called...

---

I was getting at the fact that the RWC jersey was actually the worst jersey for the ABs in times past because it added a badge to the shirt that was ordinarily clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

As someone else said. AIG is there now. France was clean until Altrad got in there. They were the last sponsor less jersey. Some French clubs, notably stade and racing sell sponsor less supporters jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

150 days to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

mystic86 wrote:
    150 days to go!

170 until it's over TG

TCM wrote: »
    170 until it's over TG

A quick look at your previous posts in the rugby area of boards poses more questions than answers, the main one being if you're so bitter about rugby why not steer clear of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

mystic86 wrote:
    A quick look at your previous posts in the rugby area of boards poses more questions than answers, the main one being if you're so bitter about rugby why not steer clear of it.

Not at all, I really enjoyed the Wales v Ireland 6 nations game.

TCM wrote: »
    Not at all, I really enjoyed the Wales v Ireland 6 nations game.

Presumably because Ireland lost and you got a kick out of the D4 'non-followers' having to suffer that defeat. Good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

?iset=0303&img=A1021178000&fmt=png&w=600&h=600&iindex=0007&c=999&cmp=85

Speaking of which, I'd be more than happy if this comes out for the RWC sans AIG.

Adidas could then double up by releasing a Leinster version, maybe with a dash of yellow, and it would be happy days.

I would wear them mind.

Saffa RWC jersey is out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Saffa RWC jersey is out

When did they get rid of the Springbok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

clsmooth wrote: »

Usually chucked on to the arm for WC jerseys. Probably just not visible there.

Saffa RWC jersey is out

The new world cup patch is pretty unobtrusive. Nice.

Bodes well for our shirt.

The new world cup patch is pretty unobtrusive. Nice.

Bodes well for our shirt.

any date on ours?

any date on ours?

I have no idea. But isn't it usually the June preceding that it comes out?

Cant even wait for the build up to the tournament. Release of jerseys, fan zones, tickets being sent out, finalising your itinerary etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

They put the protea where it used to be and shifted it to the right breast to appease the ANC. Must be no room for it with the World Cup logo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 monkel107

Starting to get close now alright! Where is everyone planning on staying? Based in Toyko or stay in Yokohama for the games?

I'm in two minds myself as previous world cups the closer to the games you could get the better but im hearing mixed messages about the craic levels in Yokohama after the games from back in the football world cup with everyone just heading straight back to Tokyo so might best to be staying closer to the Irish pubs in Tokyo then.

Anyone booked into anywhere yet or where best to stay during game time??

monkel107 wrote: »
    Starting to get close now alright! Where is everyone planning on staying? Based in Toyko or stay in Yokohama for the games?

Ireland only play one game in Yokohama until SF stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 monkel107

Ireland only play one game in Yokohama until SF stage?

Sorry I meant the first game against Scotland in Yokohama and I will be going to the next one against Japan in Shizuoka too (which doesn't seem to have much happening in the surrounding area at all)

Thinking of just basing myself in Shinjuku throughout as seems pretty lively few nice hotels around.

I noticed there is a couple of Irish pubs close by too, The Dubliner and An Solas which will hopefully mean a good chance of a few Irish around for the build up around game time but I haven't been to Tokyo so not really sure

I am staying in Shinjuku also, booked a decent looking hostel and will get train to Scotland game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

2011 Rugby World Cup. The Springbok moved to the right on the regular jersey in 2009 or so

• Advertisement
Advertisement